What annoyed you today?

Aspman

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

That would only be strictly true were it expressed 15kw/h/h or 15kw/h2 (the 2 should be the small 2 for squared which I cannot type) but I see where you are coming from.

How do you get to the 225 and 3375kwh figures?

He failed at maths and use 15 x 15 = 225kWh, then for 3 hours of acceleration it was 15 x 15 x 15 = 3375kWh which is not how acceleration would work.

If it's 15kWh per hour, in terms of acceleration per hour, means it should be 15 + 30 + 45 (as it gains 15 per hour) so after 3 hours the figures would be 90kWh or something like that.

4 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Wait no, 15kWh per year would be about a fiver, wouldn't it. About a third of a quid per kWh?

So a fiver a year. Slightly different!

Don't worry, the expert that wrote the article or supplied the information knows the answer.

Let's hope they don't use this person as Chancellor of the Exchequer.

By turning off your games console you can save up to £5.10 per day, according to the expert.

Gaming consoles are likely to be left plugged in and on as the TV, but it consumes a significant 15kWh per hour when it is on standby. Natalia said: “Simply making sure it is totally off can save £5.10 per day.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 23/10/2022 at 11:49, J.R. said:

What chemical type of weedkiller did you use Mike?

I managed to get hold of some of the good stuff, its still available from a few sources but at an eye watering price.

I have been using it since March to try and reclaim the land here, it worked far more effectively when there was no rain for at least 4 days afterwards.

I still have one complete no go area where I can see there are buildings but dont know what they are, I would need a helicopter or drone to spray them, if I cut my way through then I am cutting through the very parts needed to take the compound through to the root system.

War surplus Agent Orange?

3 hours ago, Breezy_Pete said:

15W presumably was the intended measure.  Can't see that getting to a fiver a day though, even at today's prices!

Maybe a fiver a year? 

About £42 to £44 a year Pete ........... about 12p a day.

0.015 (kw) x 24 (hrs) x 365 (days) x unit price.

E7 for me = about £44.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Tilt said:

E7 for me = about £44.

either way the 5.10/day is a totally fictitious number pulled out of their mucky passage...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tilt said:

E7 for me = about £44.

Cheers for doing that sum for me. Working backwards from that to get to £5.10/year instead gives a standby power of (5.1/44) x 15 = 1.74W on standby which seems believable to me, 15W sounds too high in hindsight.

I don't own a games console to check. 

It is confusing to use kWh instead of Joules to measure energy. We should swap to Joules, especially as EVs get more numerous and more and more posts will include muddles about kW and kWh.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Haven't had KFC in yonks.  Wasn't as nice as I remember it.

Gaz

Might have been cos you had gotten stressed Gaz .........

Or maybe food quality is going downhill fast everywhere ........ it certainly is in Iceland........  :shake: not the country, Lol.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Cheers for doing that sum for me. Working backwards from that to get to £5.10/year instead gives a standby power of (5.1/44) x 15 = 1.74W on standby which seems believable to me, 15W sounds too high in hindsight.

I don't own a games console to check. 

It is confusing to use kWh instead of Joules to measure energy. We should swap to Joules, especially as EVs get more numerous and more and more posts will include muddles about kW and kWh.

Most modern stuff should be designed with really low standby power.

My tv for instance uses 0.6w when in standby. It blinks a red or orange light when turning off. Orange for timer set and red for ultra low standby.

My PVR is the same at 0.6w. Both Panasonic.

My Sky box though is a different story. iirc 11w when in use and still 10w in standby ............. why bother, Lol.

I use a timer to turn this off overnight.

Wouldn't it be funny if the timer used more, Lol.................. (I know it won't btw).

@Tiltthe sky box in standby is still drawing data - updating the programme listing and recording shows for you. only thing it isnt doing is an output signal....

kfc isnt all its cracked up to be imo.

mostly down to the fact that the recipe has been changed and cheapened substantially over the years to the point its not the same as when originally created. 

fun fact - there is a small family run business based in an industrial estate in limerick who actually mixes the original Colonel Sanders recipe from before the corporate degrading , supplying alot of the italian irish chippers for southern fried chicken. its waaaaaaaay tastier..

also, a place called "Chicken Hut" in Limerick City was the first KFC franchise in Ireland. it was set up by the same guy who now supplies the recipe mix, who got on so well with Sanders he was gifted the recipe when KFC changed it enough that it was no longer similar enough to be deemed legally the same. as a result, the chicken hut gravy is also made to the exact same original Sanders recipe, which the new KFC gravy is nothing like.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

fun fact - there is a small family run business based in an industrial estate in limerick who actually mixes the original Colonel Sanders recipe from before the corporate degrading , supplying alot of the italian irish chippers for southern fried chicken. its waaaaaaaay tastier..

Do they do mail order? 😉

2 minutes ago, sneal said:

Do they do mail order? 😉

not sure tbh.. 

https://gracesperfectblend.com/

yup, they do global, but shipping can be expensive 

Edited by mac11irl

For about 50  years my wife has used a gas cooker, running on bottled propane gas. The changeover gizmo outside the kitchen used to switch from empty to full cylinder of lpg but stopped automatically switching a few years ago. I got a guy to come and fit a new changeover unit today, but this efficient dyed-in-the-wool qualified gas fitter found a minute gas leak in our ancient cooker. Sticking, I suppose, strictly to the rules he forbad us to use the cooker any more, and disconnected it with a "Danger - not to be used" notice, even though we never smelled any gas in the kitchen. So now we have no cooker! I have spent much of today online searching for an acceptable new cooker.

Fortunately my wife makes very good salads. And we do have a microwave to heat up 'ready-meals'. Bug*er the regulations! 😬

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

When redecorating my old UK house between tenants I found that a tub of Lidl paint that had previously been opened had gone rancid, a terrible smell but which eventually went away within a week of the paint drying, being tight I used it on the understairs cupboard where the gas and electric meters are located.

A neighbour let in the meter reader who reacted to the smell, he called out an engineer who after (not) testing the installation capped the meter leaving no heating, hot water or cooking facilities, luckily the house was not tenanted at the time and I was also in the country.

A now retired neighbour was then a Corgi registered ex British Gas engineer, as the system was capped I could work on it legally so I borrowed his manometer and there was no leak at all, the smell did not set off his electronic gas sniffer either, he then came and ran the same tests and confirmed my findings and reconnected the meter leaving some commissioning tag or something with his name, Corgi reg number and the date.

• Like 1

Gutters, gutters have annoyed me today. We have a leaking union, took it off, cleaned it and it still leaked. New seals required, none available locally except B&Q who seemed to want £6.17 for one, online were cheaper at 79p but delivery was £2.95 (and guaranteed to get here by Christmas!). So it was cheaper to go to Screwfix and buy a new union (with seals) for £2.29! Now have a chunk of plastic to get rid of.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, io1901 said:

Gutters, gutters have annoyed me today. We have a leaking union, took it off, cleaned it and it still leaked. New seals required, none available locally except B&Q who seemed to want £6.17 for one, online were cheaper at 79p but delivery was £2.95 (and guaranteed to get here by Christmas!). So it was cheaper to go to Screwfix and buy a new union (with seals) for £2.29! Now have a chunk of plastic to get rid of.

Might have been easier to get a tube of gutter sealant and use that on the existing one?

4 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Might have been easier to get a tube of gutter sealant and use that on the existing one?

Did think about it but it was £2.99 a tube...

It only took 3mins to change and I can assure you if I had used the sealant it would have been messy!

Edited by io1901
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Kelvin Hall (where there is a branch of Subway as well as a Subway stop)?

Going homeward, Ken. Wanted Buchanan Street, went for St. Enoch out of habit (recently switched from train to bus, since it's free and it'll allow me to save a bit). Certainly it's only up the hill to Buchanan Street, but it was ****ing it down at this point. :sadsmile: