What annoyed you today?

Aspman

4 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

Checking in to pre-booked overnight halt just off A14 at Islip to be told they can't do dinner as they have a big Xmas party, on the way to the room I asked again what about dinner and was offered they would bring a turkey dinner to my room. Turkey dinner arrived and was hot and tasty - good so far, but ...

The Xmas party had a live band which played until nearly 1am and despite my room being at the far end of an outbuilding was still so loud I couldn't sleep. I finally got to sleep only to be woken at 2am by the band members loudly talking in the room next to mine and continuing until nearly 4am - no means to contact management and not going outside to ask them to please be quiet in temperatures well below zero.

It's 6:30am now and I've given up trying to sleep, not looking forward to a 3 hour drive home in this cold weather...

Won't be staying here again!!!

I'm up to Lancaster to collect my eldest this evening and will be stopping in a hotel overnight rather than on her floor so I'm hoping I don't have a similar experience... 

2 minutes ago, skomaz said:

I'm up to Lancaster to collect my eldest this evening and will be stopping in a hotel overnight rather than on her floor so I'm hoping I don't have a similar experience... 

I'd strongly suggest you stay to motorways or main roads such as the A6.  Weather forecast locally is calling for rain/sleet showers and particularly over higher ground.  Tomorrow is - unfortunately - worse 😞

Which hotel BTW?  I might know it.

4 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

Checking in to pre-booked overnight halt just off A14 at Islip to be told they can't do dinner as they have a big Xmas party, on the way to the room I asked again what about dinner and was offered they would bring a turkey dinner to my room. Turkey dinner arrived and was hot and tasty - good so far, but ...

The Xmas party had a live band which played until nearly 1am and despite my room being at the far end of an outbuilding was still so loud I couldn't sleep. I finally got to sleep only to be woken at 2am by the band members loudly talking in the room next to mine and continuing until nearly 4am - no means to contact management and not going outside to ask them to please be quiet in temperatures well below zero.

It's 6:30am now and I've given up trying to sleep, not looking forward to a 3 hour drive home in this cold weather...

Won't be staying here again.

Request a rebate? Clearly a case for bad review, hopefully, management will care.

18 minutes ago, MikeTheThinker said:

I'd strongly suggest you stay to motorways or main roads such as the A6.  Weather forecast locally is calling for rain/sleet showers and particularly over higher ground.  Tomorrow is - unfortunately - worse 😞

Which hotel BTW?  I might know it.

Thanks Mike...   Good info.  I'll be leaving here about 1800 ish so will probably just do M1, M62, etc. And sit with the cruise control on taking it steady. 

SWMBO has booked me into the uni campus hotel at Bailrigg. 

22 hours ago, Warrior193 said:

Request a rebate? Clearly a case for bad review, hopefully, management will care.

Rebate requested, 'conversation' over breakfast with inconsiderate band members in neighbouring room, bad comments left on feedback sheet left in room and just composing bad online review on booking.com

• Like 1

23 hours ago, skomaz said:

I'll be leaving here about 1800 ish so will probably just do M1, M62, etc. And sit with the cruise control on taking it steady. 

SWMBO has booked me into the uni campus hotel at Bailrigg. 

Hope the trip went OK.  Weather here (Wirral, altitude about 50m) is overcast, cool, damp and an earlier try at sleet which lasted about 20 minutes.  I'm hoping the weather higher up isn't substantially worse.

1 hour ago, MikeTheThinker said:

Hope the trip went OK.  Weather here (Wirral, altitude about 50m) is overcast, cool, damp and an earlier try at sleet which lasted about 20 minutes.  I'm hoping the weather higher up isn't substantially worse.

Trip up was ok thanks despite torrential rain.  But no accidents or hold ups.  Still here and has sleeted here a bit now just raining and very cold with a bitter wind.

Heading back down shortly so will see how that goes...

• Like 1

Woke up yesterday morning, chilly, and all the radiators cold.  The oil-fired boiler heating system had blown its fuses, and went on blowing fuses as I tried to get it going. Eventually found that water had got into a rather old Honeywell control unit and was shorting out the 3 Amp fuses.  Eventually got the Honeywell gizmo dried out, and got our heating working again. But I could have done without the hassle at this chillly time of year, especially as I had other essential jobs to do as well.

• Sad 6

14 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

God I hate driving at this time of the year.

seconded..

esp today as i havnt had a chance to investigate my issue yet.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mac11irl said:

seconded..

esp today as i havnt had a chance to investigate my issue yet.. 

Car parks were hellish today, and a woman in a Rangie nearly ran into me flashing her lights like a lunatic after I had to brake after pulling into the lane she let me in to as we came up to the roundabout. My fault there, most likely, I'll admit.

Today was just a **** day driving wise, traffic was hell and people can't overtake/work dual carriageway lanes.

51 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Car parks were hellish today, and a woman in a Rangie nearly ran into me flashing her lights like a lunatic after I had to brake after pulling into the lane she let me in to as we came up to the roundabout. My fault there, most likely, I'll admit.

Today was just a **** day driving wise, traffic was hell and people can't overtake/work dual carriageway lanes.

i was stopped behind a car turning into a parking area to the right, and a lady in a 1 series started to pass me on the left, after the car ahead of me had pulled across the road and i had started driving again! she kept going even when i blew the horn at her and she was level with my passenger window... and only actually registered she hadnt passed me when the road started to narrow into a right hand bend...

yeah, i couldve gone inside the guy who turning but my slightly poor road positioning from where i had come from was gonna make that messy lookin and i couldnt be bothered for the 10seconds it was gonna take him to be gone.

oh, and my Father in Law had to stand by his car for 15mins in a car park waiting the idiot that had oarked so close to him couldnt get between the cars nevermind open his door and get in..

Edited by mac11irl
  • Sad 4

3 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

oh, and my Father in Law had to stand by his car for 15mins in a car park waiting the idiot that had oarked so close to him couldnt get between the cars nevermind open his door and get in..

Can't stand people who do that. Total *******. Maybe they don't mind a paint chip on their door but don't give a **** about other people's cars. 

The low sun is my bugbear. The windscreen has so many tiny little pits that when the sun's on it it's amplified by 1000. There appears to be a slight low spot right in front on the screen as well as the wiper never fully clears that part which is annoying as I like a good clear screen. Spent the £150 on my old Fabia to have a new screen fitted and told the missus sod it, getting a new one in the new year.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, @Lee said:

Can't stand people who do that. Total *******. Maybe they don't mind a paint chip on their door but don't give a **** about other people's cars. 

The low sun is my bugbear. The windscreen has so many tiny little pits that when the sun's on it it's amplified by 1000. There appears to be a slight low spot right in front on the screen as well as the wiper never fully clears that part which is annoying as I like a good clear screen. Spent the £150 on my old Fabia to have a new screen fitted and told the missus sod it, getting a new one in the new year.

got windscreen cover? 

it would terrible if a rogue stone were to crack it beyond repair*

*im not suggesting anything, just it would be awful...

• Like 4

1 minute ago, mac11irl said:

got windscreen cover? 

it would terrible if a rogue stone were to crack it beyond repair*

*im not suggesting anything, just it would be awful...

Probably if I paid a lawyer to read the Ts & Cs 🤣

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, @Lee said:

The windscreen has so many tiny little pits that when the sun's on it it's amplified by 1000.

My Fabia was lethal when I bought it. Headlights, sunlight, even looking at it funny. Then a bit of bark came off of a lorry and cracked the screen when I was driving home. 75 quids later, and I've been able to see since. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

B****y UK motorways! I had to go to a meeting at the Company Office in Hampshire.

Set off from home at zero dark hundred to avoid usual heavy traffic on M25 & M3, aiming to arrive 1 1/2 hours before meeting and spend the time over a relaxed breakfast at a roadside café nearby, Ha!  - Hit the start of the M3 only to have TPMS flash up pressure-loss in RF tyre! Super, fine, pull over into the next refuge and check - only about 0.1-0.2 bar down so it could wait until I get to destination. Just got back up to speed to start seeing gantry warnings of car on fire ahead!!!!

Lane 1 & 2 closed for response wagons. Place was lit up like Blackpool on speed.

Turned out to be a rather crispy-looking BMW Mini - pulled right off the hard shoulder and well extinguished by then. 

Oh, I do so really enjoy sitting on a motorway for almost an hour going nowhere!   

• Sad 2

10:12hrs this morning i entered the front carpark of a local supermarket..

10:13hrs i made my way to the vack car park of said supermarket...

10:14hrs i reentered the front car park area...

10:15hrs i exited the car park, because fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk dat..

20:30hrs tonight - i re-entered the front car park and proceeded to the rear again

21:22hrs i exited with my bit of shopping done. it was still as busy a regular sunday afternoon. staff on looked like they needed to go on a serious decompression session..

why do so many feel the need to go completely mental on the amount of food they need to buy at  Christmas? or are am the anomaly??????

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mac11irl said:

10:12hrs this morning i entered the front carpark of a local supermarket..

10:13hrs i made my way to the vack car park of said supermarket...

10:14hrs i reentered the front car park area...

10:15hrs i exited the car park, because fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk dat..

20:30hrs tonight - i re-entered the front car park and proceeded to the rear again

21:22hrs i exited with my bit of shopping done. it was still as busy a regular sunday afternoon. staff on looked like they needed to go on a serious decompression session..

why do so many feel the need to go completely mental on the amount of food they need to buy at  Christmas? or are am the anomaly??????

German efficiency has meant that they all did their supermarket shop yesterday which means it was like that here yesterday.

The problem with that is, today the shelves were full again. 

• Haha 1

On 16/12/2022 at 07:54, Aspman said:

It’s taken nearly 3yr but I’ve finally tested positive for feckin covid. 

glad I’ve had my jabs though no worse than a bad cold and i feel like I’m kicking it relatively quickly.

That was my experience as well although I had only had the two mandatory (for travel) vaccinations, no boosters, nature took care of those!

People asking for a months extra medication at the pharmacy 'because you are closed for 3 days' over Christmas. Errrmmmmm...... Even if we could just give you extra, you've got enough until February already?

They are probably the same people who tried desperately to stockpile at the start of lockdown, pretty much causing the issue for others they were trying to avoid themselves. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, edwards said:

People asking for a months extra medication at the pharmacy 'because you are closed for 3 days' over Christmas.

I'd ask the doctor when I was ordering my repeat prescription late Nov/early Dec, because I'd be away from before Christmas until a week or so into the New Year, and hence away when a 4 week supply ran out.

38 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

I'd ask the doctor when I was ordering my repeat prescription late Nov/early Dec, because I'd be away from before Christmas until a week or so into the New Year, and hence away when a 4 week supply ran out.

thats a valid request though, not just stockpiling because of short term closures

• Like 2