What annoyed you today?

Aspman

NHS Property Services management, or rather more accurately, mismanagement.

I'm resident engineer at a health facility, NHSPS are supposed to be responsible for managing the NHS tenants using the building. The attached image is the current state of the clinical waste disposal area at the facility - it's been in this state since before I returned from sick leave two weeks ago. Mismanagement have proved completely unable to get outside contractors to fulfil their obligations. Failure to collect clinical and other waste materials at this facility has been a continual issue over many years.

This company also employs so-called managers who have repeatedly stated (in writing) that it is permitted to leave emergency exits locked shut while the building is occupied!    

20230622_155502.jpg

• Sad 6
  • Crying 1
  • Groan 2

Looks like they need more effective penalty clauses in their contracts 🙄

Retired now, but that kind of thing used to do my noddle!

Gaz

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

company also employs so-called managers who have repeatedly stated (in writing) that it is permitted to leave emergency exits locked shut while the building is occupied

someone should send them a link to the ongoing re-re-enquiry into the stardust teagedy in dublin...

• Like 4

On 22/06/2023 at 18:19, mac11irl said:

someone should send them a link to the ongoing re-re-enquiry into the stardust teagedy in dublin...

Mandatory learning (amongst several others) as part of my induction when I joined the Fire Brigade in the early 1990's.  Leaving emergency exits blocked would have a local Fire Prevention Officer close the building without notice.

I wasn't an operational Firefighter, but some of the stuff I've seen from reading/writing reports on fires, and incidents of interest, will stay with me for the rest of my life 😳

Gaz

Edited by Gaz
bit of better wording
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Warrior193 said:

I'm resident engineer at a health facility, NHSPS are supposed to be responsible for managing the NHS tenants using the building. The attached image is the current state of the clinical waste disposal area at the facility - it's been in this state since before I returned from sick leave two weeks ago. Mismanagement have proved completely unable to get outside contractors to fulfil their obligations. Failure to collect clinical and other waste materials at this facility has been a continual issue over many years.

This company also employs so-called managers who have repeatedly stated (in writing) that it is permitted to leave emergency exits locked shut while the building is occupied!    

20230622_155502.jpg

Jaysus man that's shocking. How? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Dear Birdies

If we're kind enough to feed you, year round, with food, seed, fat-balls and those lovely nutritious meal worms, would you kindly reciprocate and stop sh!tt!ng on our cars.  It's not too much to ask now, is it? 

Thanks ever so.

Gaz

C6E8CBDA-7AAC-41AB-9C11-D4A13E69D686.thumb.jpeg.43545911bcb918cf1aa0f0bcdff25650.jpeg

52D03DE2-0204-4119-B645-F691F07DAE53.thumb.jpeg.6668f6ed7571957fd871a6f6930314b1.jpeg

D66EF2DE-A291-4F99-BDFB-71D7EEEFF7CF.thumb.jpeg.886c4b589801cfa2cea944e504c58263.jpeg

79387E79-9C30-4579-9732-7167F0A8FDBF.thumb.jpeg.64d71e9410957333b04b7cdae38f15a9.jpeg

IMG_7201.thumb.jpeg.fbf18382a0d97d70fefa1af1736cfd74.jpeg

Good luck with that one.

Looks like a bit of buffing might be needed.

• Like 2

Hearing that Thames Water are likely to be bailed out by the taxpayer to the tune of around £14 Billion ....... How Much :blink:

I bet all of their directors are at least Millionaires and that they have paid their shareholders very handsomely in the past and many Millions handed out in backhanders ...

Probably won't be the only water company hoping for bailout ........

And there was mention of our bills increasing by 40% too. Can't wait for that ...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

British Airways.

They cancelled my flight to Stockholm, scheduled for next month. For some reason, the 0700 flight now doesn't go on a Tuesday yet it still does on every other day of the week. I'm rebooked on a later flight that morning, but now I have to travel to LHR in peak times, airport will be busier when I get there, and I miss my lunch appointment. 😠

• Sad 5
  • Groan 2

SWMBO and her new phone...   Strictly speaking it's my new phone but as she keeps complaining about running out of memory on hers I let her have it and I'll have her old one that is still much newer and better than my current one. 

All good but blimey she's made a song and dance about swapping over.  It's taken her a months to get round to it and she's been sorting it now since Tuesday night and it's still not finished so I still can't swap mine over!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Groan 2

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Here we go again 🙄

IMG_7245.thumb.jpeg.2180e9d3c3c1fb3e6296ee738ef8160b.jpeg

Think that's the fifth time this year.

Gaz

Hi Gaz, have these all been genuine pressure losses? - picking up nails/screws?

1 minute ago, Warrior193 said:

Hi Gaz, have these all been genuine pressure losses? - picking up nails/screws?

Yeah, unfortunately/fortunately every one thus far has been a puncture.

My only hesitation this time is it's the one that was repaired a few weeks ago.  The tyre isn't looking soft, is still at 36psi (tyre was warm-ish) and I can't see anything in it.  So I've reset the TPMS and will toddle down the tyre shop in a bit.

Gaz

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

Yeah, unfortunately/fortunately every one thus far has been a puncture.

My only hesitation this time is it's the one that was repaired a few weeks ago.  The tyre isn't looking soft, is still at 36psi (tyre was warm-ish) and I can't see anything in it.  So I've reset the TPMS and will toddle down the tyre shop in a bit.

Gaz

One consolation, it is confirmation that your TPMS works correctly.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Does anyone else suffer this infuriating sequence of events?

Yup, wasn't that long ago I found my house keys in the peg basket 🙄

And then we had my missing lawnmower blade spanner the other week.  It turned up, so it'd be wrong of me to point fingers at a good place for you to start 😇

I'd offer to come help you look for it, but it's a bit of a trek and I'm currently waiting to see if I've got a slow puncture.

Gaz

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Fuming in the humid heat here this morning.

1. You identify a job you need to do at home that requires some part or tool that you don't have.

2. You get one bought in and it turns up. You put it somewhere sensible pending time and opportunity to do the work....

3. The weekend comes round and you decide to press on and get it done.

4. The fecking item has beamed back up to its mothership, apparently.

:@

My go to storage place is 'my' worktop in the utility room.  I only have one small area though so it quickly fills up with parts for jobs and stuff that i need to repair...   Which means I then have a tidy up...   At which point stuff magically disappears for weeks until i either find it again or my memory kick in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Fuming in the humid heat here this morning.

1. You identify a job you need to do at home that requires some part or tool that you don't have.

2. You get one bought in and it turns up. You put it somewhere sensible pending time and opportunity to do the work....

3. The weekend comes round and you decide to press on and get it done.

4. The fecking item has beamed back up to its mothership, apparently.

:@

If only I’d had a £1 for every time that’d happened to me…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Today I was hard wiring a Dash Cam to my wife's new (used) Hyundai Kona Electric. The earth lead from power pack needs a good connection so feretting around by the drivers side fuse box I found hole in a metal dash support. Found a short allen key head M5 bolt, nut & two washers. Access is tight & much fiddling needed to get said bolt into position with the allen key attached & then, disaster, the allen key falls off & drops down behind the fuse box 😖.

Relatively easy job then turns into a PITA as I then proceed to start removing loads of footwell trim to find the allen key.  Finally found it, attached earth wire crimp fitting to bolt, tidied up the cables & ran the camera lead up the drivers door front pillar, behind the front headlining & attach to camera. 

All done. 

Now I have to navigate the infotainment, remove the previous owners data, set up all the driving aids / preferences & the phone App🤔.  Jees, cars are so complicated these days. Now where's my son when I need him? 

• Like 1

Soles of shoes and sundry other rubber items made from recycled didlydidos 😒

It started with a pair of Gelert hiking boots, a make I have a lot of respect for bought from a car boot sale by a charming, perhaps too so, Polish lady claiming the stuff on her stand was the remaining stock from the shop she ran but closed, it was plausible as there were loads of makes and sizes all boxed.

Within a week as I was walking across a slightly wet car park, not even puddles I felt that my socks were wet, they were both soaked and the soles were split, either they were counterfeit or the make has gone downhill, perhaps bought out to sell rubbish at a high price trading on the name.

Then I bought some slippers on Ebay, solid PU soles and smart uppers, the type you could wear out say just popping to a shop without looking out of place, they seemed really good and were cheap so I bought a few other pairs as I was stocking up for when I would be 100% in France = now.

The same thing happened to them but it did seem worse in my new property compared to the hôtel in the North, the temperature or something in the soil? I had no garden in the North.

I also bought 3 pairs of German made steel toecap safety shoes with Velcro fastenings which I loved, they were so comfortable and practical, the first pair a starving fox took a liking to, carried one across the garden and ate the leather strap, 2nd pair the PU sole disintegrated far too early so I have been wearing the 3rd pair, same thing happened to them but as the soil drains well here and doesnt puddle I carried on wearing them.

The last week I have been up on the pitch roof, they had got too dodgy to continue wearing so I broke out a pair from stock that I had bought from Lidl and kept boxed in both cellars, I have had loads of these and they are very hard wearing, this pair from the box came from Lidl UK.

I carefully inspected the soles, PU again so I poked and pulled and bent them, it felt a little sticky like something had leechad and they felt slightly spongy like Doc Martens but no cracking or visible deterioration, I walked across the road to ask a neighbour to keep an eye out in case I had fallen (I used a harness) and when I returned after walking no more than 50 paces I could see what I thought was soil all over the floor picked up by the sticky soles, it wasn't, the entire sole of both shoes had disintegrated and I was walking on the steel underfoot protection 😒

50 bloomin paces to wear out a pair of safety boots!

• Sad 7

On 08/07/2023 at 11:36, Gaz said:

Here we go again 🙄

And now Mrs Gaz is joining in the fun, and has had to take my car to work.  One suspects one has found the likely culprit in her PS4:

IMG_7268.thumb.jpeg.8ac213deac886038232d007c3feb704c.jpeg

Tyre's probably a bit over halfway, wear wise, and has some light perishing, so at least it's had some use.  

Still feeling quite unlucky though :dull:

Gaz

• Sad 3

25 minutes ago, Gaz said:

And now Mrs Gaz is joining in the fun, and has had to take my car to work.  One suspects one has found the likely culprit in her PS4:

IMG_7268.thumb.jpeg.8ac213deac886038232d007c3feb704c.jpeg

Tyre's probably a bit over halfway, wear wise, and has some light perishing, so at least it's had some use.  

Still feeling quite unlucky though :dull:

Gaz

Very unlucky I would say. I could probably count the number of punctures I've had in 50 years on 1 hand. last one was on my wifes Fiat 500 & that was two cars ago.  

• Like 1

On 22/06/2023 at 18:00, Warrior193 said:

I don't know your level of authority or the tensile strenth of your brass neck but possible as Gaz mentions a firm email to the CEO of the waste company indicating that unless they fulfill their contractual obligations and stop locking/blocking fire escapes you will have no choice but to inform the board of whatever trust you work for and or the local fire service citing their written statement that it is ok for them to break the law.

You'd be amazed how quickly some companies back down when the realise you will actually follow though with kicking them in their metaphorical nads.

• Like 2