What annoyed you today?

Aspman

52 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Mrs Gaz has a replacement incisor, which is mounted via a bridge to the tooth next to it.  About an hour ago the bridge clicked and is now moving.  Her Dentist isn't available until next week and Mrs Gaz has a day out planned in London on Monday.  She is very self conscious about this tooth.  It's come loose once before, and was re-attached then.

Realising how distressing she finds it, (she's taken herself off upstairs, having a wobble, saying 'I don't know what to do.  I don't know what to do!') and that it's Friday, and the clock is ticking, I've phoned around local dentists (her's is 20 miles away) and got her the last remaining emergency appointment, today at 4:30pm.

I'm now in trouble for having spent £49 securing that appointment, because she's with Denplan.  She's subsequently contacted Denplan, who have advised they can try to get her a local appointment, but she will have to pay for it and any necessary work, as her 'Plan' is with her own dentist, and not others.  So I've done what Mrs Gaz doesn't know to do, and got her an appointment today, which Denplan may, or may not, have been able to, and I'm still in the wrong :thinking:🤬

I've offered to cancel this afternoon's appointment, as I'm not bothered about the £49, but it sounds like she now wants to attend it.

I want to be gracious, but I'm feeling quite peeved and unappreciated for my efforts.

G

Definitely related to Mrs Cakemonster....

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I could not have asked for an emergency appointment because a partner is self conscious about a false tooth

And I would not have, without sounding the Dentist out first, and being sure they'd consider it appropriate use of their time, as oppose to a routine appointment that could wait :shake: 

• Like 2

yesterday evening pootling through town and drove over a speed bump, well more a ramp really at a junction in slow moving traffic. 

came down the bump/ramp (its quite gentle) to the sound of a loud, metallic "Badong"...

and so last night wheike waiting to start work i had a chance to get down on the wet ground with a torch....

yup.. rear spring decided it wanted make my car 1/4 VRS by lowering itself... 🤬

Edited by mac11irl
  • Sad 6

Well I'm back from the docs...   The appointment was actually at a different surgery/ hub...   And it's looking like kidney stones related...🙄...   Again!

• Sad 4

And I have just had a bad asthma attack simply from working for 45 minutes in the cold sous-sol 😒

I have not suffered in all my adult life aside from when I spray 2 pack paint without a respirator.

The Pneumologiste disabused me and explained its for life, I have just been in remission for decades, and at the last appointment when I was confident that it had all passed she told me I still had inflammation and had to carry on with the treatment, todays episode proves her right.

I still dont know if it was triggered by the cold air or spending too much time today in the warm(er) caravan that has some residual damp in places after my repairs.

Peak flow test is usually 550 but was down to 200, up to 350 now 10 minutes after using the inhaler.

Edited by J.R.
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

And I have just had a bad asthma attack simply from working for 45 minutes in the cold sous-sol 😒

The Pneumologiste disabused me and explained its for life,

I've had asthma since the age of seven.  It's thankfully well controlled.  My two main triggers are wood dust (which can, and has, hospitalised me), and strong farmyard smells, both of which I can feels my bronchi physically closing down.  It's an odd sensation and hard to describe.

The Asthma Nurse I used to see suggested once that I might not have it any more, due to it being so well controlled, and I should try not taking my preventer inhaler.  That little experiment went so well that it took me six weeks to recover.

Hope you feel better soon 👍

Gaz

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

23 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Well I'm back from the docs...   The appointment was actually at a different surgery/ hub...   And it's looking like kidney stones related...🙄...   Again!

Well you got my sympathy skomaz ,three times for the dreaded stones for me ,stents in kidneys peeing blood pain like nowt on earth ,stents taken out while your awake and wondering if they can find yer little old feller cos your so nervous ,i really feel for you mate 👍

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Gaz said:

My two main triggers are wood dust (which can, and has, hospitalised me), and strong farmyard smells, both of which I can feels my bronchi physically closing down.  It's an odd sensation and hard to describe.

Exactly that, in the week I cut out and removed some rotten rafters that had been infested with Capricorn Beetle (long since parted) I wore a respirator and all was well, later I cut sections through them on the chopsaw to see how weakened they were, to follow the path of the burrows and see if any remained (they hadn't) that triggered a mild asthma episode soon controlled with the Nexthaler. There was lots of very fine dust from their chomping and I did not wear the respirator for the cutting as I dont usually when using the saw.

As for farmyard smells, it was clearing out the overgrown smallholding area where there had been rabbits geese, ducks and lord knows what else that hospitalised me with Cellulitus Orbitale, worm rotten wood dust got blown in my eyes, that area is now clear but the caravan is right beside it.

The family of retards that destroyed the house over its 50 years also kept animals in the loft, I found several Ferret skeletons including one that died trying to swallow his mate, I think when the last one left (he was squatting the place) he left them up there to fend for themselves. There was loads of straw and bedding material, when I was replacing tiles on the eaves I was pulling handfulls out and another gust of wind triggered an asthma attack, one of the bad ones.

Now I am clearing out the final 3rd section of the attic, I have removed all the minging poo and straw ridden fibreglass wearing a respirator without incident but underneath it I found hundreds if not thousands of dried turds, they look like cat or dog faeces, surely too big to be ferrets but being under the insulation means they would have laid it on top of them, nothing would surprise me now. The volume involved will fill several rubble sacks 😒

I think you can see why I am still holding out from living in the house even though the caravan is not ideal, I will wear the respirator and a hazmat suit when I remove the turds as I did with the insulation, what is ironic is that today I listened to my body, a gut feeling and decided not to go up there, instead 45 minutes of DIY set off the asthma.

I did polish up a decades tarnished brass and copper work light with a scotchbrite wheel on the bench grinder, I cant see that triggering the asthma but have found that once something has many other things will.

• Like 2

This is what the dust blown in my eye at the dump did to me, the first photo was when I was trying to convince the ambulance controller that I really needed transporting to hospital as I had a fever and was shaking uncontrollably, the second is when they finally turned up after an hour and a half, the 3rd was 6 hours later.

The final one was during my convalescence after the week in hospital, my head having reduced to a normal size

IMG-20230429-WA0004.jpeg

20230429_235825.jpg

20230501_182048.jpg

20230512_105422.jpg

• Sad 5

51 minutes ago, Mickvrs220 said:

Well you got my sympathy skomaz ,three times for the dreaded stones for me ,stents in kidneys peeing blood pain like nowt on earth ,stents taken out while your awake and wondering if they can find yer little old feller cos your so nervous ,i really feel for you mate 👍

That was me last time minus the stents...   I gave a urine sample and they thought it was a blood sample! 

I'm not so bad this time but currently feel freezing cold and on the antibiotics and painkillers.  Hoping the infection will clear in a few days, after which they my want to do a follow up ultrasound and cystoscopy (not looking forward to the latter as it was very unpleasant last time and the after effects of a bruised and damaged bladder sphincter lasted for weeks! 

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, skomaz said:

That was me last time minus the stents...   I gave a urine sample and they thought it was a blood sample! 

I'm not so bad this time but currently feel freezing cold and on the antibiotics and painkillers.  Hoping the infection will clear in a few days, after which they my want to do a follow up ultrasound and cystoscopy (not looking forward to the latter as it was very unpleasant last time and the after effects of a bruised and damaged bladder sphincter lasted for weeks! 

Good luck mate my antibiotics kicked in after about two days ,kidney infection in april after last stones ,but the up the bum hole painkillers were grand haha ,tottering about like wayne sleep trying to keep it in 😂😂

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, skomaz said:

Personally I don't think it is as the doctors and pharmacist are good...   When you can actually get to speak to them or see them...   It's just the receptionists that seem to think they have a god given right to decide who gets to see a doctor and who doesn't with absolutely no concerns for patients and no understanding of symptoms.  

For me it was just a blanket 'no can do' because you've missed the arbitrary cut off, even though I tried to explain the situation I'm in.  Next time I'll try and be ill between 08:00 and 10:30 but the chances of getting through on the phone within that period any time after 08:10 are pretty minimal...

111 got it as they asked questions to decide the urgency or otherwise...

Yes, I know that when you do actually get to see the doctors, they are good, what I was meaning is that this scheme was introduced after the pandemic when first started to complain about not being able to get a doctor's appointment. Prior to the pandemic, there was never a real issue, I could phone my GP practise and could usually get an appointment to see one of the doctors the same day. 

It has been a long-drawn-out degrading of the NHS system over many years with high level talks with American healthcare providers.

Anyway, I really that your treatment soon sorts you and puts back to feeling better and firing on all cylinders again soon.

Edited by Graham Butcher
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

It has been a long-drawn-out degrading of the NHS system over many years with high level talks with American healthcare providers.

I couldn't agree more and it's something I had noticed before leaving the UK in 2018.

Longer waiting times, pushy receptionists, overstretched staff.

I'd be embarrassed to post my experience of the healthcare I've received since late 2018. 

Don't get me wrong, the NHS as I knew it was always top notch and saw me right a few times and the envy of other comparable countries but, sadly claws were dug in, too much management by pencil pushers aiming for targets and yes, cost cutting. 

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, @Lee said:

I couldn't agree more and it's something I had noticed before leaving the UK in 2018.

Longer waiting times, pushy receptionists, overstretched staff.

I'd be embarrassed to post my experience of the healthcare I've received since late 2018. 

Don't get me wrong, the NHS as I knew it was always top notch and saw me right a few times and the envy of other comparable countries but, sadly claws were dug in, too much management by pencil pushers aiming for targets and yes, cost cutting. 

Totally agree, if you really want to know more about what is and has been happening and appears to be a very cleverly devised scheme to mask just what the great plans were, and it has ramifications on other state organisations, I seriously recommend that you watch this, I warn you, it is 95 minutes long. I can relate to a lot of this personally as I have been involved with consultants in the design of many hospitals which are in this film and the schemes by which the public purse was robbed.

Looks like I've had an allergic reaction to the antibiotics I was given on Friday as I've got a raised blotchy red / purple rash all down my sides and across my lower back. 

Called 111 before lunch and they've said a doctor will call me back, so just waiting for that now and to see what they say / if they prescribe something different.  Can't be that serious though as I've been waiting for the call for over 4 hours. 🤣

• Sad 4

Sorry to hear that, I really hope that the doctor does call you back before too long and gets you the assistance that you need and that you are firing on all cylinders before Christmas. I wouldn't wish anyone to have a Christmas like mine last year when I caught Covid and had to call 111 myself.

• Thanks 1

On 08/12/2023 at 17:44, J.R. said:

I have not suffered in all my adult life aside from when I spray 2 pack paint without a respirator.

The Pneumologiste disabused me and explained its for life, I have just been in remission for decades, and at the last appointment when I was confident that it had all passed she told me I still had inflammation and had to carry on with the treatment, todays episode proves her right.

I still dont know if it was triggered by the cold air or spending too much time today in the warm(er) caravan that has some residual damp in places after my repairs.

Peak flow test is usually 550 but was down to 200, up to 350 now 10 minutes after using the inhaler.

Oddly to echo your tale of asthma, I'd been sympom free for about 32yr then last year I strimmed the grass and all of a sudden I was having a fairly significant asthma attack.
I had no inhalers at all so tripled up on antihistamines and tried to get an inhaler. Obv this happened on a Sunday so docs shut. Phoned NHS24.
45min later I was still on hold and I got to the first sunday pharmacist about 25miles away. He refused to dispense unless I got a prescription from NHS24. I explained that I'd been on hold for, now 55min. Nope wouldn't prescribe.
Went off to pharmacy #2 another 5 miles away through the city. Got there, still on hold with NHS24 after 75min. This pharmacist was willing to write an emergency prescription, after all I was hardly asking for bloody methodone. NHS24 never did pick up the call.

Since then I've ended up back on full time meds for asthma. It's never really gone away again. Now being in my mid 40s the meds don't agree with me and the steriod gives me awful heartburn despite it being an inhaler. Asthma nurse is a condescending cow as well.

Edited by Aspman
  • Sad 7

12 hours ago, skomaz said:

Looks like I've had an allergic reaction to the antibiotics I was given on Friday as I've got a raised blotchy red / purple rash all down my sides and across my lower back. 

Called 111 before lunch and they've said a doctor will call me back, so just waiting for that now and to see what they say / if they prescribe something different.  Can't be that serious though as I've been waiting for the call for over 4 hours. 🤣

So...   Guess where I am at 02:45 on Monday morning...

111 nurse called me back at 01:00 on Monday morning, so 12hrs after calling them.  Had a video consultation and he was concerned enough with parts of the rash and the fever symptoms I've had today to send me to A&E on the other side of the city.

The nurse at A&E triaged me, looked at her list of patients, said it was a 9 hour wait and realistically all I needed was a different antibiotic...   So has now sent me to the hospital GP Centre where it's only a 4 hour wait. 

oh and now I also have a heat rash from cuddling a hot water bottle all day trying to get warm...😄

Edited by skomaz
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 9

Thanks guys.  Got back home at 06:30 this morning.  They gave me something for the rash but had run out of the different antibiotics so SWMBO has just headed out to find some, which is good as I've just been for a pee and I'm going backwards on that front as the 111 nurse had told me to stop taking the original ones...   So I'm back off to bed 🙄

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 3

Lets hope that SWMBO is able to locate some. When I had Covid last Christmas, the prescribed antibiotics were not available, so they had to alter the prescription for another one, which also were hard to find, eventually my oldest son managed to find some for, and they were vile, but did the trick in the end. Wish you good luck and a speedy recovery.

What is the point of the 111 system if it takes 12 hours for them to respond, going to casualty sounds much quicker although still a dreadfull wait.

• Like 2