What annoyed you today?

Aspman

8 minutes ago, Stonekeeper said:

They only paid attention to their speedometer when the Van passed them. You where effectively waking them up.

oh I know, ive had it before, when someone takes offense to their big 4x4 or Merc being passed by an un washed old Skoda, but when i then have to re-pass them I just give socks for 2-3 mins and leave them well behind. I cant do that in the restricted work van, so end playing silly games for miles..

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MikeTheThinker said:
1 hour ago, xman said:

I've been suffering for a few days as the aftermath to a bout of 'flu,  If you don't mind me asking, what was it the pharmacist gave you?

The qualified pharmacist checked my eye and gave me Choramphenicol antibiotic eye drops

IMG_20240305_1313154002.thumb.jpg.a17b9c43e4da656af8c2da310314a54b.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, xman said:

The qualified pharmacist checked my eye and gave me Choramphenicol antibiotic eye drops

Thanks for that.  I tried the NHS online advice which only offered a visit to my GP or A&E and did not include a pharmacy.

• Groan 1

Spud Jr got Conjunctivitis a couple of weeks ago, just before we were due to gon on holiday, then missus mac ended up with it too!

great fun doing eye drops for 2 people 4 times a day, esp when one of them is only 4yrs old 🙄 worst part was when Jr's first eyedrops caused all the blood vessels in his eye to rupture.. god love him it looked like he'd been stabbed in the ey for about 4days until it started to clear itself out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, J.R. said:

She is still a mother and her mother is probably well placed to realise that a gesture of recognition would be well appreciated by your wife but unlikely to come from the children at their age, hence her hint to you which appears to have been futile.

That maybe, but my kids are more than capable of doing something for their mother, and they do, I don't notice my other half doing anything for me on Fathers Day.

I share your pain, some drivers think that are the only ones on the road, others have an inflated feeling of self-righteousness and there are just so many these days who have absolutely zero spacial awareness how always swing out to the right in order to do a left turn 🤬

On 05/03/2024 at 13:17, xman said:

IMG_20240305_1313154002.thumb.jpg.a17b9c43e4da656af8c2da310314a54b.jpg

Hadn't the chemist got any to give that weren't infected 😆

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Time for a brief rant.

Knickers.  What is it with knickers?  When you take them out the washing machine, why are they never around the right way, or inside out, but always somewhere in between?  I don't get it.  And then when you hang them on the airer, just when you think you've got them straight, why does the label suddenly flip, to reveal they're still inside out.  It seems to take longer to sort knickers out than hang up any other washing :@

Going out earlier, my road T junctions into another.  Both are always busy.  It's slow moving so customary to filter into the next road, one after the other.  One driver, you can tell them a mile off, went out of their way to not let me out, but instead stopped right in front of me.  Even the chap behind her shook his head.  And yep, get to the other end of that road (1/4 mile) and who's holding up traffic at a roundabout they can't make it out onto.....  I counted six opportunities where I (and many others) could've got out, but the constipated slug in the grey Prius couldn't 🙄

Audi A1 cretin, in the outside lane of the Polegate bypass.  Overtook nothing. Got undertaken by others, who'd had enough.  Did exactly the same down Golden Jubilee Way.  And then dives into the nearside lane at the bottom of GJW, because they're turning left of course.  Winker :swear::swear::swear:

People who stop at empty roundabouts..... aaaarrrgghhhhh!!  Think I've mention these gems before.  And the Meriva who went in the outside lane on the Highfield Link to queue jump, only to realise the nearside lane was moving quicker.  Then turned left from the outside lane.  Genius couldn't even put themselves out enough to do a 450° around the roundabout, fk'wit 😡

Sat here typing this, pick up my mug of coffee to wash down my slice of eccles cake, and some git's finished it! (I'm the only one in the house 😇).  'Torrrttooiisse!!......' 🐢

My kids are arguing over when they're available to come around next month for an Easter egg hunt.  They can't all get here on the same day.  But they want to be here together so they can get competitive.  I might suggest 2025 to see if that'll get them nearer a compromise.

Thanks for reading.

Gaz

I too hate folk that stop at empty roundabouts too ,very annoying ,even worse when my knickers are on inside out 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Love it! 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Time for a brief rant.

Knickers.  What is it with knickers?  When you take them out the washing machine, why are they never around the right way, or inside out, but always somewhere in between?  I don't get it.  And then when you hang them on the airer, just when you think you've got them straight, why does the label suddenly flip, to reveal they're still inside out.  It seems to take longer to sort knickers out than hang up any other washing :@

Going out earlier, my road T junctions into another.  Both are always busy.  It's slow moving so customary to filter into the next road, one after the other.  One driver, you can tell them a mile off, went out of their way to not let me out, but instead stopped right in front of me.  Even the chap behind her shook his head.  And yep, get to the other end of that road (1/4 mile) and who's holding up traffic at a roundabout they can't make it out onto.....  I counted six opportunities where I (and many others) could've got out, but the constipated slug in the grey Prius couldn't 🙄

Audi A1 cretin, in the outside lane of the Polegate bypass.  Overtook nothing. Got undertaken by others, who'd had enough.  Did exactly the same down Golden Jubilee Way.  And then dives into the nearside lane at the bottom of GJW, because they're turning left of course.  Winker :swear::swear::swear:

People who stop at empty roundabouts..... aaaarrrgghhhhh!!  Think I've mention these gems before.  And the Meriva who went in the outside lane on the Highfield Link to queue jump, only to realise the nearside lane was moving quicker.  Then turned left from the outside lane.  Genius couldn't even put themselves out enough to do a 450° around the roundabout, fk'wit 😡

Sat here typing this, pick up my mug of coffee to wash down my slice of eccles cake, and some git's finished it! (I'm the only one in the house 😇).  'Torrrttooiisse!!......' 🐢

My kids are arguing over when they're available to come around next month for an Easter egg hunt.  They can't all get here on the same day.  But they want to be here together so they can get competitive.  I might suggest 2025 to see if that'll get them nearer a compromise.

Thanks for reading.

Gaz

I think that's where the saying "don't get your knickers in a twist" comes from😆

• Like 3

Beautiful dry sunny morning in South Cambridgeshire, so decided to cut the grass in the back garden for the first time since last autumn (no, it's not a lawn; just grass).

Ruddy Honda rotary mower kept playing up - stalling, hesitating, cutting well for a bit then died. Plug a bit oiled up, but little better even when I had cleaned it well. Maybe the petrol is lousy after spending the winter just sitting in the tank? I think I will send it to be overhauled 😟

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldTrilobite said:

Beautiful dry sunny morning in South Cambridgeshire, so decided to cut the grass in the back garden for the first time since last autumn (no, it's not a lawn; just grass).

Ruddy Honda rotary mower kept playing up - stalling, hesitating, cutting well for a bit then died. Plug a bit oiled up, but little better even when I had cleaned it well. Maybe the petrol is lousy after spending the winter just sitting in the tank? I think I will send it to be overhauled 😟

More likely the carb has gummed up or the fuel uptake from the tank is blocked.  Seems to be a semi regular occurrence on my Briggs and Stratton but I can have it all stripped and cleaned in 10 minutes now with all the practice I've had.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

who have absolutely zero spacial awareness how always swing out to the right in order to do a left turn 🤬

That makes my blood boil too! I put it down to being able to take the corner faster. Impatient <expletive deleted> drivers.

15 minutes ago, SteveTheElder said:

That makes my blood boil too! I put it down to being able to take the corner faster. Impatient <expletive deleted> drivers.

People who learned to drive the horse back to the yard with a load of fresh hay on the cart will have a very good understanding of this style ...

( some of ye may need to restrict your driving to large towns )

• Like 1

On the M6 today I had a few cars that would be determined to overtake me using lane 3 (I'm in the middle lane doing an indicated 75 mph passing slower traffic in lane 1) to then pull in front of me and immediately slow down to 70 mph.  Ho hum.

Plus the driver when leaving a 30 mph limit going into a 40 mph limit actually slowed down from 30 mph to 25 mph 🙂

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

38 minutes ago, SteveTheElder said:

There is one particular corner near me which has a rather narrow bridge over a railway line, this is right on the corner. The road is wide enough for 2 cars to pass each other, just and has wall on each side, so you are entering the road there almost blind, but these "drivers" are not trying to take the corner faster, they are going so slowly that they make my blood boil. I think that they have no idea how long, wide or even where their back wheels are that they don't feel comfortable approaching that section unless their car is almost perfectly lined up with the road, leaving them to just gauge their position in relation to the oncoming traffic, if you know what I mean.

I was turning left there myself the other day with my eldest son, also a driver, who was horrified by the fact that I just signalled and turned into the corner, without swinging out wide first. I asked him why, and he replied because that was how his instructor had taught him! I'd hate to see these drivers behind the wheel of a lorry etc.

Edited by Graham Butcher

4 hours ago, OldTrilobite said:

Very frustrating. A neighbour of mine was having similar problems the other day.

No such trouble with my cordless Mountfield mower & strimmer. Two 48v batteries gets the grass cut & edges trimmed with juice to spare before they need recharging. I also have a cordless hedge trimmer & mini chain saw that use the same batteries. Had them for 6 years now & still going strong. Best thing I ever did when I switched to battery garden tools. So much easier to use than corded or petrol - for household use at least.    

1 hour ago, Graham Butcher said:

I'd hate to see these drivers behind the wheel of a lorry etc.

You would not pass an HGV test driving as you do and you would make a mess of the inside rear wheels and the kerbstones.

I expect any contributors who have had advanced driver training (I forget the acronym, IAM perhaps?) will confirm that they were encouraged to use the whole width of their lane when safe to do so to follow a larger radius trajectory and have better visibility.

With of course a mirror check if they are driving a Ferrari and being followed by an Octavia VRS 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, today at the BatCave (my parents' old house where I'm temporarily ensconced whilst our domicile is being repaired following a loft pipe burst last Winter) on "Involuntary Plumbers 'R Us" we tackle the spontaneous appearance of water from the dining room ceiling, fortuitously spotted before it had run too long (I heard it dripping and investigated). Rush upstairs and check for sounds of running or escaping water - all quiet. Set the heating stat to 'frost' to stop the circulating pump pressurising the leak and the dripping slowed to a stop.

Remembered that the central heating butchers/installers did some mucking about in that approximate area to pipe up the new bathroom radiator so set off on a marathon shuffle and clear to gain access to the candidate floor area upstairs. Having marked out the rectangle around the leak area hacked through one layer of carpet, one layer of now very hard ancient lino, one layer of amorphous rubber/cork (used to be corked rubber sheet) - only to find the nice gentleman who cut the floorboards didn't make two cuts, just one so now I have to follow the floor covering (and collected furnishings and household paraphernalia) out to the front wall so I can lift the floorboards for inspection. If I had by vibratool here I'd have made another cut but I don't so I didn't.

If I wasn't so knackered I might consider the irony of the situation but as it is I've had enough excitement for the evening so off to bed and will resume operations in the morning.

• Sad 3
  • Groan 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

You would not pass an HGV test driving as you do and you would make a mess of the inside rear wheels and the kerbstones.

I expect any contributors who have had advanced driver training (I forget the acronym, IAM perhaps?) will confirm that they were encouraged to use the whole width of their lane when safe to do so to follow a larger radius trajectory and have better visibility.

With of course a mirror check if they are driving a Ferrari and being followed by an Octavia VRS 🤣

My reference to them behind the steering wheel of a lorry was not aimed at them being able to make the turn without scuffing the rear wheels on the kerb because they turned too quickly causing the wheels to strike the kerb. It was to say that if they struggle to be able to position a small 5ft wide car on a road between oncoming cars and the kerb, how would they manage with something 8ft plus wide?. Also they weren't using the full width of their lane, they were actually going into the 2nd lane which is for vehicles going straight ahead or turning right.

I could get this 36ft coach turned left and over the bridge without encroaching into the right-hand lane on the approach. Yes I'd have to wait for the oncoming traffic on the bridge to give me room to enter into their lane to avoid the rear wheels striking the kerb on the N/S, but I would be to see clearly if the road was clear for me to complete that turn safely before committing to it as visibility for taller vehicles is fine as the wall is only an issue for cars. I used to make this turn in these coaches when I was working on the buses, as mentioned before.

bridge.thumb.jpg.c7b3e4230497db60e678093e08094099.jpgRE.jpg.2ca8c4342b67c612a093ff64c062c2b7.jpg

Edited by Graham Butcher

44 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

My reference to them behind the steering wheel of a lorry was not aimed at them being able to make the turn without scuffing the rear wheels on the kerb because they turned too quickly causing the wheels to strike the kerb. It was to say that if they struggle to be able to position a small 5ft wide car on a road between oncoming cars and the kerb, how would they manage with something 8ft plus wide?. Also they weren't using the full width of their lane, they were actually going into the 2nd lane which is for vehicles going straight ahead or turning right.

I could get this 36ft coach turned left and over the bridge without encroaching into the right-hand lane on the approach. Yes I'd have to wait for the oncoming traffic on the bridge to give me room to enter into their lane to avoid the rear wheels striking the kerb on the N/S, but I would be to see clearly if the road was clear for me to complete that turn safely before committing to it as visibility for taller vehicles is fine as the wall is only an issue for cars. I used to make this turn in these coaches when I was working on the buses, as mentioned before.

bridge.thumb.jpg.c7b3e4230497db60e678093e08094099.jpgRE.jpg.2ca8c4342b67c612a093ff64c062c2b7.jpg

I know that junction/bridge. As you say, it really is not difficult to turn left over the bridge without crossing a white line.

• Thanks 1

on the petrol in lawnmowers.. i got my petrol mower in lidl in 2020. height of covid middle aisle special but with a briggs and stratton engine and a metal case. i havent drained the fuel once in 4yrs. in fact the first petrol i put in it had been sitting in the 5litre gerry can for 2 yrs. and it has yet to take more than 2 pulls to start. same plug on it still too. sometimes i think comes down to luck...

10 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

RE.jpg.2ca8c4342b67c612a093ff64c062c2b7.jpg

Nice bus. I don't recognise the coachbuilder though.