Sasha’s Octavia vRS

Nice one. They are an easy upgrade and well worth it. I am waiting for another reverse camera to be sent to me to replace the one that arrived with a PAL camera rather than NTSC. Once that’s all done I’ll detail that retrofit as well :)

9 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Nice one. They are an easy upgrade and well worth it. I am waiting for another reverse camera to be sent to me to replace the one that arrived with a PAL camera rather than NTSC. Once that’s all done I’ll detail that retrofit as well :)

Wife loves her standard reverse camera in her Karoq. Winds me up over it as I paid extra for mine in the Octy.:tongueout:

• Like 1

I love the DSG, it really makes the car for me, but I’ve always preferred an auto. Apart from one or two WTF moments with it that come from the design of the box and require you to learn a slightly different technique to a regular auto. Changes can be incredibly quick with it, and MPG is still very good. It’s not for everyone, but I really like it :)

• 2 weeks later...

I looked at buying a new one today but they're not taking orders ATM! I'll see if I can find a green one with the right spec, 

Forgot to say the reason I remembered your thread on here is because it came up on my recommended web pages on chrome!

• Like 1

Haha really, that’s pretty cool :) Shame about the lack of orders, I seriously considered a new vRS for early next year to replace this one but you cannot spec a leather interior or dark Xtreme’s so it won’t be happening. My mileage is calming down now so there is no need to HP this car, can go pack to a PCP/Lease and enjoy the lower monthly payments, but that said the cars aren’t well enough equipped for me to have one on a PCP/Lease without loading up the payments with options so it ceases to be worth it really! Other than the noisy Diesel engine and the slightly dull colour I love the car and I’m very happy to keep it :)

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Next weeks retrofit; power folding mirrors :D Finally found a cheap set so just playing the waiting game, wearing the floor out pacing already :rofl:

Hope it's not the cheap thin vinyl type or you will need to invest in proper laminate flooring.:biggrin:

• Like 1

On 05/11/2018 at 23:45, SashaGrace said:

I love the DSG, it really makes the car for me, but I’ve always preferred an auto. Apart from one or two WTF moments with it that come from the design of the box and require you to learn a slightly different technique to a regular auto. Changes can be incredibly quick with it, and MPG is still very good. It’s not for everyone, but I really like it :)

:giggle:

• Haha 2

Late to the party on your Gas Struts upgrade.

Browsing Superskoda, but even with the current 20% off was looking at £37.

Followed your link and it would appear you're selling is down to his last set and wants £30 for them.

So did a little searching around Ebay and found what looks to be the same item:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Bonnet-Boot-Gas-Struts-Bootlids-Tailgates-Parts-Hatchback-Ball-Studs-55CM-NEW/122848590439?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

£8.29. So thought, why not, lets give them a go.

You mentioned in your posts about requiring a "Spline Bit" to remove something or other before these can be fitted? Not something I've got in my tool collection, so guess I'll need to get a set of those ordered in too.

• Like 1

Haha, so many people have done this upgrade in the last few weeks the seller must be wondering what’s going on :rofl: You’ll need an M10 spline tool, you can get them singularly on eBay etc. These struts won’t be as good as the SuperSkoda ones and they don’t look as nice, not as premium and with screw on ball joints but for the occasional times I open the bonnet to check the oil level and screenwash they do fine. Got some more activity for this thread coming soon with the mirrors on their way, 1600 miles to go until the next service and I’ve been ploughing away working on a reverse camera install in the background and I’ve been thwarted by a camera sent with the wrong refresh rate and I’ve been battling with non functioning parking sensors. I have had success today though with a borrowed camera so I hope to get it all finished soon. I’ll leave it here for now :D

065CC587-797A-49C0-BFA7-019090F33196.thumb.jpeg.056214de1164bfeb970b8735d19b18f6.jpeg

14 hours ago, Stoofa said:

You mentioned in your posts about requiring a "Spline Bit" to remove something or other before these can be fitted? Not something I've got in my tool collection, so guess I'll need to get a set of those ordered in too.

When you fit one of these kits you are essentially replacing two existing bolts, the one in the wing needs a normal (10mm?) spanner or socket, the one in the bonnet needs a spline bit. This is the one I used to do this job recently: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M10-SPLINE-BIT-12-Point-Socket-10mm-Hex-Drive-30mm-long/110640243135

Edited by uchuff
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, uchuff said:

When you fit one of these kits you are essentially replacing two existing bolts, the one in the wing needs a normal (10mm?) spanner or socket, the one in the bonnet needs a spline bit. This is the one I used to do this job recently: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M10-SPLINE-BIT-12-Point-Socket-10mm-Hex-Drive-30mm-long/110640243135

* "replacing two existing bolts" ... per side

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TonisT said:

Moving or static lines?

Static. I don’t really like the lines as the car has pdc (nice to have it working, been handy to have the help rather than having to judge it by eye) but that’s how it works when it’s coded in. You can get moving lines but that’ll need an OEM camera and lots more £££ this camera was £20. Camera seems a decent bit of kit, but can’t recommend this seller as they clearly can’t read and have taken forever to admit their mistake and send another camera. Plenty of other places to get it from though :)

23 hours ago, Stoofa said:

Late to the party on your Gas Struts upgrade.

Browsing Superskoda, but even with the current 20% off was looking at £37.

Followed your link and it would appear you're selling is down to his last set and wants £30 for them.

So did a little searching around Ebay and found what looks to be the same item:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Bonnet-Boot-Gas-Struts-Bootlids-Tailgates-Parts-Hatchback-Ball-Studs-55CM-NEW/122848590439?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

£8.29. So thought, why not, lets give them a go.

I bought those ones but didn't really read the description properly.  Too eager to get a bargain :sadsmile:  If you read the description it states there is 4 10mm ball joints,  and that is exactly what is supplied with the struts.  They are actually 8mm ball joints.  The two needed in the bonnet hinge is 8mm so ok there but the ones for the wing fixing needs to be 6mm so no good.  Rather than send everything back I just turned down the 8mm thread to 5.9mm and turned a new 6mm thread down.  A bit of a faff but it worked ok and for the price I'm pleased with the struts and they work ok.  Still not being too sure of the quality I've left the bonnet held open with the struts for five days and they're still holding up ok.  I've left the bonnet stay in place though.  Just in case  :speechless: 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, silverden said:

I bought those ones but didn't really read the description properly.  Too eager to get a bargain :sadsmile:  If you read the description it states there is 4 10mm ball joints,  and that is exactly what is supplied with the struts.  They are actually 8mm ball joints.  The two needed in the bonnet hinge is 8mm so ok there but the ones for the wing fixing needs to be 6mm so no good.  Rather than send everything back I just turned down the 8mm thread to 5.9mm and turned a new 6mm thread down.  A bit of a faff but it worked ok and for the price I'm pleased with the struts and they work ok.  Still not being too sure of the quality I've left the bonnet held open with the struts for five days and they're still holding up ok.  I've left the bonnet stay in place though.  Just in case  :speechless: 

Thank you for that - mine not dispatched so I might see if I can cancel before they are :)

Gotta admit, tempted to just bit the bullet and order the Superskoda ones - currently £37 delivered. I know, a lot more than other options, but you'll know they are all the right size and the quality will be excellent.

• Like 1