Sasha’s Octavia vRS

Isn’t an aux heater (Webasto) an option in UK? I know its in the Norwegian winterpack which is free almost every fall.

This is faaar more «important» than heated seats and/or windows. 

• Like 1

Haha, it’s not cold enough to worry about speccing a Webasto heater! It’s not an option in the UK, but I have seen some bits for it for sale around European eBay. Gotta get my current projects finished first before moving on to new ones.

On 05/12/2018 at 17:24, Plantman said:

Thanks!

So you need to remove the top hinge fitting and replace this with the top of the gas strut. 

Then I notice there is a hole on the inside of the wing where the bottom fixing of the gas strut would go.  Thats the two mounting holes?

Cheers!

Hi. Would these struts fit the Rapid model?. Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi everyone, 

Just like to say thanks to Sasha (and everyone else in this thread) for giving me so many ideas to improve the soon-to-be-mine Octavia VRS I'm getting this week It's my first Skoda, and I've never been this excited about getting a car before!!! I've been putting together a Google Keep list with ideas and links to Sasha's picture guides for replacing various lights and trim... I've even preemptively ordered silicon key covers!

I'm collecting a 15 plate MKIII VRS that has some bells and whistles enabled, but I'm looking forward to tinkering to enable others!

Thanks again! :D 

• Like 2

On 09/12/2018 at 17:02, SashaGrace said:

Forgot to post a picture of the video wiring loom...

C7AFA412-DE94-4F37-AF4A-EC04FC519C29.thumb.jpeg.5473208310fc1a10ef0c3f67642867b8.jpeg

Do you have a picture of the correct locations for these 2 wires I ordered the camera yesterday and connectors so wondered where they plug in

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tycow said:

Hi everyone, 

Just like to say thanks to Sasha (and everyone else in this thread) for giving me so many ideas to improve the soon-to-be-mine Octavia VRS I'm getting this week It's my first Skoda, and I've never been this excited about getting a car before!!! I've been putting together a Google Keep list with ideas and links to Sasha's picture guides for replacing various lights and trim... I've even preemptively ordered silicon key covers!

I'm collecting a 15 plate MKIII VRS that has some bells and whistles enabled, but I'm looking forward to tinkering to enable others!

Thanks for the kind words! In a week or so I should be back with Virtual Cockpit news as I’ve sourced all the bits I need to get it in the car. I’ll update as and when :)

1 hour ago, magicknight75 said:

Do you have a picture of the correct locations for these 2 wires I ordered the camera yesterday and connectors so wondered where they plug in

I don’t have a picture, but there is a link in the thread somewhere to Trust2K’s thread where there is a picture of the plug. It’s very easy to find, take the radio unit out of the glovebox, and in the big quadlock connection there should be a blue plug with 2 wires going into it. That’s the one you’ll be adding to. Pin 6 is positive and Pin 12 is negative. This also reminds me I need to sort out the footwell lighting install that I’ve started! Gotta get the wiring loom lengthened and then sort that out.

In other news the car is going to be at Trax Donington 2019 on the Mk3 Octavia vRS Club stand so if any of you are going, I’ll be there with the car :biggrin:

• Thanks 1

On 05/01/2019 at 16:24, Beachy said:

Hi. Would these struts fit the Rapid model?. Thanks.

I have no idea sadly. Pop the bonnet and measure the disnace between a suitable mount point and the bonnet hinge. Find a pair of struts to fit that gap.

7 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Thanks for the kind words! In a week or so I should be back with Virtual Cockpit news as I’ve sourced all the bits I need to get it in the car. I’ll update as and when :)

I don’t have a picture, but there is a link in the thread somewhere to Trust2K’s thread where there is a picture of the plug. It’s very easy to find, take the radio unit out of the glovebox, and in the big quadlock connection there should be a blue plug with 2 wires going into it. That’s the one you’ll be adding to. Pin 6 is positive and Pin 12 is negative. This also reminds me I need to sort out the footwell lighting install that I’ve started! Gotta get the wiring loom lengthened and then sort that out.

In other news the car is going to be at Trax Donington 2019 on the Mk3 Octavia vRS Club stand so if any of you are going, I’ll be there with the car :biggrin:

Is that in May and if so do you know the date TIA.:blink:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tycow said:

Hi everyone, 

We look forward to seeing and hearing more about your new toy!

Of course, without pictures, it hasn’t happened! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dunc69 said:

We look forward to seeing and hearing more about your new toy!

Of course, without pictures, it hasn’t happened! 

Thanks! Hopefully I'll be able to collect the car tomorrow, so photos (and tinkering) will follow... :D

• Like 2

Oh, @SashaGrace what have you started? 

After my little dabble last week with OBD11 and the virtual surround, I now have two functioning rear fogs AND I've just ordered some LED reversing lights from Amazon  AND a reversing camera from aliexpress.......:rofl:

Where will it end???? :D

• Like 1

I have a rear cam from a xiaomi dash cam sitting in a box.  would this function as a reverse camera on MIB1 Amundsen?  need to dig it out to look at the connections but it's designed to be activated on reverse lights and viewed on the dash cam (rear mirror type).

• Like 1

Woohoo, I am now officially part of the club! Drove it home from Caldicot and wow - it's certainly a step up from my 10 year old Civic. Onto the Sasha inspired projects...! :D

If it's ok, can I ask a couple of questions? Am I right in thinking I have a Bolero unit (see attachment 3)? What are my options to upgrade it - both official and non-official? :) 

20190108_153744.jpg

20190108_153943.jpg

20190108_162851.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tycow said:

Woohoo, I am now officially part of the club! Drove it home from Caldicot and wow - it's certainly a step up from my 10 year old Civic. Onto the Sasha inspired projects...! :D

If it's ok, can I ask a couple of questions? Am I right in thinking I have a Bolero unit (see attachment 3)? What are my options to upgrade it - both official and non-official? :) 

20190108_153744.jpg

20190108_153943.jpg

20190108_162851.jpg

Are you looking to add Apple CarPlay/ Android auto?

• Like 1

Just now, Maverick567 said:

Are you looking to add Apple CarPlay/ Android auto?

Maybe, if it's an option. Basically it boils down to cost and practicality. :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tycow said:

Maybe, if it's an option. Basically it boils down to cost and practicality. :) 

Like Sasha (with her help) changed from Amundsen MIB 1 to MIB 2. Effectively it’s very easy to do, you need to buy a Glovebox unit, new Screen and upgrade the USB port. Software wise is a little more complex. When you plug the new unit into your car you will need to remove component protection, most dealers are funny (I can recommend someone in Swindon) and then send the unit of to Poland to be recoded.

cost wise -

Glovebox unit - £100

Screen - £150 ish

USB - £35

CP Removal - £50

Coding work - £200 ish including posting to Poland

I managed to resell my old bits to make some of the money back.

• Like 1

Brilliant Maverick, thanks for that. Certainly food for thought, however Mrs Tycow might brain me if I try to justify spending £500+ on the ICE after buying the car itself! :D

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tycow said:

Brilliant Maverick, thanks for that. Certainly food for thought, however Mrs Tycow might brain me if I try to justify spending £500+ on the ICE after buying the car itself! :D

What she doesn’t know can’t hurt her!! I would definately recommend OBDEleven to do some of the changes like High Beam assist. 

• Like 1