Police chief in call to remove speed thresholds

gadgetman

I thought this had already happened in Scotland ? at about the same time as drink drive limit was reduced. Or was it quietly dropped. Scottish police were not flavour of the month a while back I seem to remember.   

It did / has.   & no Speed Awareness Courses but newspapers seem to never mention that,

& recently, there seems to be the latest releases, because the 1 mph over would not stand up in court.

Just 1mph too fast and you’re nicked_ new zero tolerance approach to speeding.mhtml

Police get new powers as they set sights on drivers just over speed limit _ HeraldScotland.mhtml

speedingsop.pdf

Edited by AwaoffSki

Makes you wonder what will happen once we are all being transported by automated cars. The police will suddenly find they have an extra 50% of shift time to chase the criminal element. :speechless:  

On our motorways you have to be ~10 kph indicated over the limit which is effectively 3kph (2mph) to fall foul of the law.

Radar error has to be applied also......both favour the driver.

Rarely it it mentioned.

10 hours ago, dox1966 said:

Maybe we should send said chief out in a van with 200 drops to do for the day whilst monitoring his speed and see how well he does?

Banned the same day?

Still he's now had his 3 minutes of fame....

Or bagged for only doing half the jobs?

4 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Or bagged for only doing half the jobs?

You think this desk jockey could do a hundred drops? I love your optimism!

I don’t think he could commute for a week without his license being in jeopardy.

I think the Police should Introduce the Snooker affect for speeders. 

They should fine a red car first, then go for a colour, then a red and so on. See who gets the highest score by totting up the colour value as in snooker. See who gets the first M6 147 

Oh !!...................I wont get stopped, my 230's grey, no grey ball in snooker.     B)

**  Other Colours and none Snooker ball colours are available  **

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

I think the Police should Introduce the Snooker affect for speeders. 

They should fine a red car first, then go for a colour, then a red and so on. See who gets the highest score by totting up the colour value as in snooker. See who gets the first M6 147 

Oh !!...................I wont get stopped, my 230's grey, no grey ball in snooker.     B)

There is on a black and white TV, anyway, the law is colour blind (allegedly) 

Of we have an actual speed limit rather than norminal ie nominal plus 10% plus 2 mph then let us have the speed limit at 80 mph on the motorway like this government were talking about and did not do. Another broken promise amongst the dozens of others.

There was a chief police bloke a few years back.....wales or west midlands with the same zero tolerance issues....

AOCPS has the guidelines which allow the set & % over the limits............

the argument is that car speedos are supposed to read more than you are actually doing....eg show 60 mph but actually doing 56mph...this is why sometimes trucks hitting the limiter on their calibrated tachos at 56mph & my car says 60mph....

However I'm more concerned about when the last time the speed cameras (fixed or hand held) were last calibrated & can I see the cert for that calibration please?....

• Like 1

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/2007/05/29/police-let-off-speeding-penalties/

Police let off speeding penalties

Staffordshire | News | Published: May 29, 2007

Just 19 of the 6,000 West Midlands police officers and staff caught speeding or jumping red lights while on duty last year are facing punishment, it emerged today.      Tens of thousands of officers across the country escaped penalties after their tickets were cancelled by bosses.  Just 354 of the 90,000 police captured on traffic camera were hit with fines or points on their licences, compared to 80 per cent of ordinary motorists.  One in four of those were marked vehicles with blue lights flashing, indicating officers were responding to emergencies.   But nearly every other offence was quashed by senior police who can make tickets "disappear" if an officer puts forward a good reason for speeding – like chasing a suspect or trying to find a witness.  During 2006, 4,154 speed camera activations by West Midlands Police were cancelled because blue lights were seen in the photograph. A further 2,090 were quashed because the vehicles were being used for "police purposes", 38 were dropped for other reasons and 19 are ongoing.  Staffordshire officers clocked up 899 camera activations which led to 14 tickets being issued. In West Mercia, just 11 tickets were handed out for 1,357 offences.  More than 4,000 Thames Valley police cars were caught on camera speeding or jumping red lights, but not one officer was issued with a fixed penalty ticket.  Dianne Ferreira, from road safety charity Brake, said: "They should be setting up an example and they should have to face the force of the law like everybody else when they break the rules."

Read more at https://www.expressandstar.com/news/2007/05/29/police-let-off-speeding-penalties/#Wwmy5zrH4cjEzIXO.99

Edited by lol-lol
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fabdavrav said:

There was a chief police bloke a few years back.....wales or west midlands with the same zero tolerance issues....

AOCPS has the guidelines which allow the set & % over the limits............

the argument is that car speedos are supposed to read more than you are actually doing....eg show 60 mph but actually doing 56mph...this is why sometimes trucks hitting the limiter on their calibrated tachos at 56mph & my car says 60mph....

However I'm more concerned about when the last time the speed cameras (fixed or hand held) were last calibrated & can I see the cert for that calibration please?....

Availability of certificates of calibration. Pigs might fly first. And they do ,regularly in helicopters, but  the lot wielding the vans are not really Police, just pretend SCP  wallahs, with illusions of grandeur, who think it's ok to hind in a wooded lane under the guise of road safety. IF they were so interested in road safety, than cash ,and bums on retired police officers psuedo speed/safety courses, then there would be large signs advertising the presence of speed detection equipment on the roads in question. But then, the question arises "does speed enforcement REALLY increase road safety". Then there's the other question" what is more important-looking out for hazards on road ahead ( like a pair of legs behind a van ) , or spending most of a journey keeping an eye on the speedo. You ARE not going to see a hazard in the speedo binacle, but you might spot one on the road ahead. What next ( and surprise ,surprise) ,t's not crept into the hazard perception part of the driving test (YET), CHECKING SPEED OF VEHICLE.

And BTW, pOLICE cHIEF WAS FROM wALES- brumstrom. He stood alone as one person to decimate the tourist trade in Wales

Edited by VWD
  • Thanks 1

I’ve always used the cc on the basis that if it’s safe, under the circumstances, to exceed the limit then it probably safe to use it.

Then there is the speed warning chime system.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 22:58, Ryeman said:

I’ve always used the cc on the basis that if it’s safe, under the circumstances, to exceed the limit then it probably safe to use it.

Then there is the speed warning chime system.

I have a "winter tyre" setting chime in the MFD/infotainment...& a another setting which also chimes at a certain speed...which is set about 10mph above that.....so you get a double chime....

When I'm doing fast over taking I sometimes see how quickly I can get the double chime.....:blush

• Like 1

Me- I've got a "winter" grip warning on my car. It's my hands , calibrated after 50+ winters on the road.

• Thanks 1

I always thought the 10% + 2mph was an urban myth

I knew plod didn't nail people at 1pmh over because (as the plod in the first article says) it's too hard to prove and there has to be reasonable digression to cover dips in the road, changing lane etc.

Actually I had a thought the other day. On an average speed limited road, if I was to cut every corner reducing the distance I travel could I trigger a fine?

The average speed camera will work by timing you between two points assuming a fixed distance. But If I can reduce the distance travelled the camera will assume I have gone faster. (Speed=distance/time). I've not been boring enough to figure out how much I need to shorten a journey over 3 miles to give the appearance of travelling say 5mph faster.

• Like 2