1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

Had this issue from picking my 1.5TSI up impossible to use smoothly in traffic and dangerous at junction or roundabout set offs. Reported it and was told it’s a characteristic of the vehicle. Not satisfied with this answer I contacted Skoda uk and they have been excellent. Got in touch and sorted the dealership out got it booked in and software updates done. Skoda UK called to verify it had been done and again after a fortnight to see if it had cured it. The update has made the vehicle what it should have been from new. It’s cured all issues and can’t thank Skoda UK enough. If left white the dealership it would not have been sorted.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AndyKaroq said:

Had this issue from picking my 1.5TSI up impossible to use smoothly in traffic and dangerous at junction or roundabout set offs. Reported it and was told it’s a characteristic of the vehicle. Not satisfied with this answer I contacted Skoda uk and they have been excellent. Got in touch and sorted the dealership out got it booked in and software updates done. Skoda UK called to verify it had been done and again after a fortnight to see if it had cured it. The update has made the vehicle what it should have been from new. It’s cured all issues and can’t thank Skoda UK enough. If left white the dealership it would not have been sorted.

When was your car manufactured?

Mine was May 18 and still waiting.

28 minutes ago, AndyKaroq said:

This is potentially good news for me. I'm heading to test drive a Suzuki Vitara (not a 1.5 engine) on Friday since I was tired of the 1.5 engines not getting fixed. Hopefully we will start hearing more good news about things getting fixed. The Vitara not having a digital speedometer might be a big negative for me though......I'm addicted to the one I have. 

Edited by F4mandolin

1 hour ago, AMC150 said:

When was your car manufactured?

Mine was May 18 and still waiting.

Still waiting here too... can't get rid of mine as its a lease car and lex ain't interested as my company blindly pay them regardless.

14 hours ago, driventodevon said:

I did the same with my Superb almost exactly six months after taking delivery.  Sad to part company with it, as it was otherwise a great car.  The fix eliminated the second-gear flat spot, but not the kangarooing, and I was very concerned that this would be worse again in the Autumn/Winter.  Now driving a rival make, as there were no suitable petrol alternatives in the Superb range with the fuel economy that the 1.5 promised.  Like you, I had a very supportive and sympathetic Skoda dealer.

You are lucky you've had sympathetic dealer! Our west Midlands dealer didn't want to know and kept repeating that Skoda doesn't accept it as fault so they can't do anything for me. This happened in January. Bloody b******s! Voted with our feet and we will never ever return to any of them. Keep away from VAG!!!

• Like 2

Hi so mine is a 68 plate and from my experience I would have got nowhere if I hadn’t contacted Skoda uk who passed me on to their technical department. The dealership told me they had checked everything and no updates which the technical department said wasn’t true. Only thing I can recommend is contact Skoda directly. I will find the number they called me on and send it 

49 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

I guess it's a bit late now, but you should have bypassed the dealer and gone straight to Skoda UK* or Skoda Finance*.

* delete as applicable.

We bought it cash and I called Skoda UK personally who didn't want to know! All they kept repeating was "It's a characteristic - the car does not have fault!"

• Sad 1

As promised here I’d the number I am sure you have it but anyway this is the first step to smooth driving 03330 037 504

They have said a second update will be released soon and be in contact when it’s available so if for some reason it doesn’t help then the second will. Hopefully you can get it sorted 

Too late for us. We no longer have that piece of Skoda junk. Thank you though for sharing the number. I had a hellova row Skoda Customer Dept in January 2019 and it didn't get me anywhere. I hope they go bust - VAG deserves it! Specially after they cheated with Dieselgate.

Edited by Xtra2
  • Like 1

I am surprised to hear that either a dealer or Skoda UK were still denying that there was a problem after this was published in January. 

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/owning-1/2019-01/volkswagen-acknowledges-problem-with-15-tsi-evo-engine/

My Sept 2018 Karoq received the first update in April, which seems to have completely cured Jake's car, though mine still jumps embarrassingly when taking off in first. It is nearly a month since I was told that "a further update to cure the kangarooing would be released in about 2 months". We have an agreement that, if this second update isn't effective, then the car will be rejected.

17 hours ago, AndyKaroq said:

Who do you think told the dealer that it was a characteristic! Glad your issues seem to have been sorted but Skoda haven't been excellent. They have been party to defective vehicles being supplied to customers including yourself, lied initially about there being problems until VWG had to admit there was, and when fixes were available haven't been proactive in informing all their dealers which is why some are still in the dark and customers have had to contact Skoda UK to get them to tell the dealers of the available fixes and how to apply them. Excellent, more like a disgrace!   

Edited by VAGCF
  • Like 1

It is so frustrating and puzzling that some of us have had the update and it has been successful and others have been very dissapointed! The inconsistency between dealers, the lack of preemptive contact from Skoda UK placing the burden of seeking information on the customer does not auger well for future sales and confidence in VAG group products. I for one will be very cautious in just over 2 years time when I consider a replacement for my Karoq.

I must agree with you, my own personal experience with Carrs Skoda in Indian Queens, Skoda UK and VWFS in dealing with the initial problems and the ultimate rejection of my Karoq 1.5 SEL were exemplary however the inconsistent  approach which customers have experienced is cause for concern. 

Does this affect new models if ordered now? I'm on the fence about the Karoq and don't want to risk it until a permanent solution is in place.

It's also a bit strange that there is so little noise on the VW forums, maybe just the T-Roc, even though the engine is so widely used.

Can anyone confirm to me the service bulletin number for the update. My dealer is unaware of any such update or what it is supposed to cure! 

Many thanks to you all 

1 hour ago, JakeB1941 said:

It is so frustrating and puzzling that some of us have had the update and it has been successful and others have been very dissapointed! The inconsistency between dealers, the lack of preemptive contact from Skoda UK placing the burden of seeking information on the customer does not auger well for future sales and confidence in VAG group products. I for one will be very cautious in just over 2 years time when I consider a replacement for my Karoq.

I think your Karoq, Jake, dates from the same era as mine. I can't understand why the (April) update seems to have corrected both your 'dying at junctions' AND the kangarooing, whilst my update only seems to have dealt with the dying - which is, I admit, the dangerous bit. It seems that there are differently built/developed 1.5s around that are displaying slightly different symptoms which need slightly different 'cures'.

Is it possible that if the car is shared 50/50 with another driver the difference in driving techniques changes the way the software develops? My wife and I both drive it fairly equally and she confirms that the update has been effective.

Edited by JakeB1941

3 minutes ago, JakeB1941 said:

Is it possible that if the car is shared 50/50 with another driver the difference in driving techniques changes the way the software develops? My wife and I both drive it fairly equally and she confirms that the update has been effective.

I don't know the answer to this, but I have always maintained that a driver who is heavier on the accelerator and who revs the engine more will not notice the faults as much as one who is a lighter-touch driver.  So ... I am sure "differences in driving techniques" are relevant.

Edited by driventodevon

In considering the next cars to replace the ageing ones in our fleet, I'm inclined to forget about one with the 1.5tsi/150ps as offered by Skoda. Just too risky that you will get a duff one. The definitive fix will never come IMO. Its been 2 years already and still not fixed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

since my engine has a kangaroo always, regardless of the temperature outside or the temperature of the engine.

I tried to change my driving style and always give too acceleration, yes it works. But when you in the parking or in traffic jam, it does not work. 

Do the engines have different symptoms kangaroo?  - undoubtedly. 

But whatever driving style the owner had, he would feel kangaroo in a limited space for movement. 

Edited by kifir

16 minutes ago, JakeB1941 said:

You probably mentioned earlier, Jake, but did your Karok display both the 'dying' and the kangarooing symptoms at the onset? My wife is reluctant to drive the Karoq though she drove us home on Saturday night after I had taken beer. There wasn't any real sign of the kangarooing for her, though she had taken a while to manoeuvre the car in reverse down the drive. When we set off earlier in the evening, it did it's usual jumping for me; I tend to put a stop to things by changing up to second gear as soon as I possibly can. I would describe myself as a 'light-footed driver'.

Hi not sure why but they told me it would take 600 miles to learn my driving style.As with you both my wife and myself drive the car and both noticed the improvement immediately. I didn’t ask the number or name of the software update. I just wanted it sorted. One thing I can say is before the update I started running on premium fuel shell v power it improved, but not removed the issue obviously it’s not ideal but on the other hand got about 4mpg more.

Edited by AndyKaroq

They told me that 11 months ago when I first complained. 

How does the car "learn" driving styles when there are multiple drivers?

Just one of the deflection tactics I believe as is  "it's a characteristic of the vehicle" 

What really frustrates me is that there seems to be no common response from VW/Skoda/dealers. They know the owners/keepers of affected vehicles so why haven't they contacted us all to explain exactly what is happening, why and what is being done to remedy the situation. First were told April, then another two months and they have almost gone with no apparent sign of a fix. Customer service at its worst!!! I bet they'd soon be writing if a payment was missed. 

• Like 3