Broken Windscreens........

Am I horribly unlucky, or is there something wrong with Skoda windscreens?    I had a '63 reg. Superb on which windscreen needed replacing twice, and last year bought a 2017 Superb Estate, on which the screen has gone again after 1stone hit !..............Don't think my Insurance will believe I'm not on some strange fiddle to flog new screens!!

It happens... Windshield is glass, glass breaks when stone hits the glass at specific angle/speed. We replaced 4 windshields on Octavia in first year, then it was okay next 4 years (my moms car). Just happens... Unlucky.

I think it is to do with the rake of the windscreen. My focus had a shallow angle on the screen and stones sort of deflected off it. Whereas these cars the angle is much steeper and I can imagine stones just smack into it. 

Following other cars too closely?

In the last 600k miles driven I have had one windscreen replaced, I must be extremely lucky - wish it would read across to the lottery.

I must be very lucky too, never had to replace a windscreen in 25 years, about 500,000 miles.

Edit: Actually there was one now I think about it. Still, not bad.

Edited by juux

It is mainly down to luck, and the state of the roads you drive on. Occasionally its the fault of pickup drivers who shed their loads along the way.

With heated windscreens becoming more common and ACC, cameras etc requiring recalibration when a windscreen is replaced, the rising costs are likely to make some insurance companies review their policies towards replacement. Already some companies regard them as a claim that affects the premium, and some have put cost limits in place.

3 hours ago, xman said:

It is mainly down to luck, and the state of the roads you drive on. Occasionally its the fault of pickup drivers who shed their loads along the way.

With heated windscreens becoming more common and ACC, cameras etc requiring recalibration when a windscreen is replaced, the rising costs are likely to make some insurance companies review their policies towards replacement. Already some companies regard them as a claim that affects the premium, and some have put cost limits in place.

That sounds alarming... Specially because sometimes you just can't do anything about it. 2 times I broke windshield was once under a passage way (stone came out of nowhere, no cars anywhere) and second time on high way while speeding by another car stone came from another side of road (I saw it because it was pretty big =/). Both times crack was pretty big. If you drive too close to some one you hear stones but I've never seen anyone break screen cause of driving behind some one. Those stones don't have enough force usually. 

Anyhow, end of the day its the luck... If windshield brakes or not depends on force and angle of the stone.

@JackySi  [pedant's corner] I'm guessing English is not your first language, so please allow me the liberty: "brake" is what you do to stop your car. Step on your brake pedal to apply the brakes. "Break" is what happens when someone tries to correct your grammar, and you hit him in the jaw. As in, "If he says that again, I will break his jaw." [/pedant's corner]

• Haha 1

Now try explaining that to (the bilingual) @JackySi in Slovenian :D

7 minutes ago, freelunch said:

@JackySi  [pedant's corner] I'm guessing English is not your first language, so please allow me the liberty: "brake" is what you do to stop your car. Step on your brake pedal to apply the brakes. "Break" is what happens when someone tries to correct your grammar, and you hit him in the jaw. As in, "If he says that again, I will break his jaw." [/pedant's corner]

• Haha 1

I probably speak English better then my mother's language since I've been communicating in English 99% of my time since I was 12. But yeah I sometimes write/auto correct wrong ^^. Apologies!

No, I apologise. One part of my job when I was working in Germany was proofreading. Native English speakers on this forum make the break/brake mistake all the time. I don't bother to correct them, because, well, just because... But, non-native speakers might like to know the difference.

Plus, I had one or two whiskies more than I needed last night and failed to show my usual restraint. :sadsmile:

• Like 2

Back to the windscreens...me too, stone on a French Autoroute this week, and a four inch crack.  Heated windscreen on an L&K, and camera behind mirror for the smart cruise control, etc. 

Rang Autoglass (as per my insurer LV+'s instruction - total cost if I go down that route is £90.00). They said it needs to go in (calibration, can't be done at roadside) and the earliest they can is April 6 - two weeks away. In the meantime probably not safe or legal to drive they said (Ummm, so how do I get to them 20 miles away...). 

Has anyone please had experience of a third party, and specifically Autoglass doing replacement of a heated screen, and the camera re-calibration after? Any comments plse.

For what it's worth, LV+ agreed it was a long time, and said I could ring my local dealer on Monday, get a quote and they'll 'most likely' approve that. 

On 3/24/2018 at 18:28, Brockysuperb said:

.....Rang Autoglass (as per my insurer LV+'s instruction - total cost if I go down that route is £90.00). They said it needs to go in (calibration, can't be done at roadside) and the earliest they can is April 6 - two weeks away. In the meantime probably not safe or legal to drive they said (Ummm, so how do I get to them 20 miles away...).... 

If it's not safe or legal to drive 20 miles to get it repaired, how did you drive it back from France!

Can you have the screen replaced now and wait for the calibration?  I can't see how it would be not safe or legal if the camera wasn't working as you can turn off the functions if you don;t want them anyway.

So, rang Autoglass as above and they quoted April 6, as it's not just windscreen but then recalibration of camera. On Monday rang my dealer...April 11 is earliest. Glad they're busy, irritated its two weeks on a safely issue...so much so my insurer gave me leave to ring around.  So April 6 it is...anyone experienced Autoglass for the calibration bit?

7 minutes ago, Brockysuperb said:

So, rang Autoglass as above and they quoted April 6, as it's not just windscreen but then recalibration of camera. On Monday rang my dealer...April 11 is earliest. Glad they're busy, irritated its two weeks on a safely issue...so much so my insurer gave me leave to ring around.  So April 6 it is...anyone experienced Autoglass for the calibration bit?

Yes, I have had 2 heated screens replaced in 2 years by Autoglass.  You  are fortunate to be offered the calibration.  Go to the centre and have it done. The 1st time replacement took place at my work's car park, I had to pay £125 for calibration at a dealership in Lincoln.  So including the compulsory screen excess, a small stone cost me £225. The 2nd repair was at an Autoglass centre, which did a good job and cost me £75 plus the petrol for a 100 mile round trip.  Whilst no leaks or scratches occurred, I got the feeling that the 1st replacement produced a few creaks / squeaks which I'd not heard before from the dash. However I am convinced that it's a Skoda thing during cold weather, it stops from Spring to late Autumn.  The 2nd replacement seems no worse.

A word of caution, leaving from the Autoglass centre, the Lane Assist system didn't seem to work initially in the 1st 1/2 mile on an industrial estate with road markings, so I drove straight back to the centre. The fitter said it was a common phenomenon experienced on several makes, he thought the road markings on the estate weren't standard and was confident that  it would kick in on the nearby dual carriageway. My cynicism proved to be unfounded, because lo and behold as soon as I left the estate and onto the adjacent dual carriageway it functioned perfectly and continues to do so. Annoyingly even though I asked at the 1st and 2nd replacements to ensure the parking ticket holder was tight to the screen, both fitters explained that they'd  tried their best  but it still remains a bit looser than the original and parking passes sometimes slip off the screen. 

On 3/24/2018 at 18:28, Brockysuperb said:

Back to the windscreens...me too, stone on a French Autoroute this week, and a four inch crack.  Heated windscreen on an L&K, and camera behind mirror for the smart cruise control, etc. 

Rang Autoglass (as per my insurer LV+'s instruction - total cost if I go down that route is £90.00). They said it needs to go in (calibration, can't be done at roadside) and the earliest they can is April 6 - two weeks away. In the meantime probably not safe or legal to drive they said (Ummm, so how do I get to them 20 miles away...). 

Has anyone please had experience of a third party, and specifically Autoglass doing replacement of a heated screen, and the camera re-calibration after? Any comments plse.

For what it's worth, LV+ agreed it was a long time, and said I could ring my local dealer on Monday, get a quote and they'll 'most likely' approve that. 

I had my screen replaced by autoglass in Coalville Leicestershire,  excellent service ,   I waited with the car while they replaced screen and re calibrated all and they issued the certificate to confirm all as per manufacturers specification.

I had to wait 2 weeks before I was able to get to appointment but no mention of "illegal to drive".  My crack started bottom left and crept to ward the camera.  Stopped 1" short.

They were extremely helpful and I got a chance to see all the stocks of glass.  Its enormous.

50 minutes ago, mrburns said:

I had my screen replaced by autoglass in Coalville Leicestershire,  excellent service ,   

I used this centre. Agreed above comment with 1 caveat. The work took about 2 hours, during which the centre allowed me to sit in the foyer of the Autoglass offices, use the WC and even offered a drink. However the tantalising staff canteen next to the foyer was out of bounds. I would understand if it was because the canteen is subsidised but I was told the bar was on the grounds of confidentiality. I wasn't sure where the nearest cafe was and simply wanted a scone and buttie, not carry out industrial espionage.....anyway they did a good job. If I was unfortunate enough to go again I would take a box of butties. 

So, to update. Wait of two weeks, 45 minute drive to Autoglass for three hour fitting time. Took 2.5 hours. New windscreen, but they couldn't calibrate the camera. 'Connection not found' was the error. Fitter said  the camera could see the target screen used for calibration but no more. He repeated several times.

So ACC, lane assist, sign detection now not working. Autoglass now make an appointment with my nearest Skoda dealer (200 metres from my front door) and the garage will sort it at their (Autoglass) expense. Wasted half a day (and I'm self employed so that costs)... Autoglass was very apologetic and friendly, but it seems in the chocolate fireguard business as far as I'm concerned.

On 3/22/2018 at 21:38, quartofale said:

Am I horribly unlucky, or is there something wrong with Skoda windscreens?    I had a '63 reg. Superb on which windscreen needed replacing twice, and last year bought a 2017 Superb Estate, on which the screen has gone again after 1stone hit !..............Don't think my Insurance will believe I'm not on some strange fiddle to flog new screens!!

First and foremost, the condition of the road surface in this country is appalling; yes, you probably are also unlucky. 

Cars also have evolved. Glass is generally thinner and therefore probably won't absorb much of an impact. I fitted a [genuine, OE] 2008 Mercedes windscreen last week and it was considerably lighter than its [OE] replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

Saga above continues. Car spent a day with dealer yesterday for calibration after Autoglass failed. ACC and Lane Assist fine now..but not dynamic sign recognition. Calls to Skoda from garage...cheeky buggers asked garage to check with me it was actually working before windscreen replacement! Saga continues next week...

Edited by Brockysuperb
spelling

After 29 years of driving, today I got my first stone chip in the front windscreen, which looks like it will need a screen replacement. 

I'm just curious, for those who've had their windscreens replaced, does anyone know what the total cost came to, to replace a Heated screen with rain sensors and camera + calibration? 

Was informed today by my insurance company that their was a £500 claim limit per windscreen replacement! Plus the £75 excess. 

So, could be a very expensive week. 

The reply from the authorised repair company, National Windscreens, was simply silly money! Waiting for them to get back to me on Monday with price and a date to book in.