Fallen out of love with my VRS.

I bought my Mk3 220 TFSI VRS brand new in April 2015 after owning a Mk1 VRS for 11 years and 147000 miles.

I bought the Mk3 on the back of the Mk1 as it was such a good car, never used a drop of oil or water and the only time it saw any spanners was for routine servicing, and the customer service was brilliant. Case of point was that the front wheel bearings started to rumble with 4 days remaining on the 3 year warranty, without any fuse they were replaced without any fuss whatsoever.

Now onto the current one.
I ordered quite a few options including the electric sunroof which has creaked since it was a couple of months old, goes back at least once a year "to be adjusted", the rear armrest leather (if that is indeed what it is) started to sag after 6 months, "Sorry Sir 6 months or 6000 miles on interior items" was the answer I got when I mentioned warranty, but bare in mind the rear seats have hardly been sat on.
12000 miles and I noticed some of the stitching on the driver's seat side bolster was starting to lift, by 13000 miles and 18 months old the bolster had worn through! Skoda UK didn't want to know about any warranty work to replace it, again they came back with 6 months or 6000 miles on interior items, said it was fair wear and tear, AT 13000 miles! :angry:.
However my local dealer agreed to pay for half of the cost to replace the seat cover (thank you Blade Skoda Gloucester), but still cost me £250.

NOW, this week the n/s/r wheel bearing is starting to rumble @ 23300 miles, 5 days after the warranty ran out.

I have completely run out of faith in it and I'm wondering what's going to wear out or fail next, it seems so fragile against the better materials etc of the Mk1.
It's not worth a lot (Evans Halshaw offered £12585 in p/x against a £25k 14 plate Audi S4).

How can I restore my trust and enjoyment in the car, or shall I cut my (huge) losses and buy something with better build quality.

I nearly swapped mine a few weeks ago for an 2010 S4 but I didn't, however I have decided to keep it a few more years and get a newer S4 (probably around 2014 like the one you are looking at).

Having said that the only issue I have had was the water pump just after warranty expired but I got 75% contribution after a few complaints.  I don't have any of your issues and mine is a 14 plate on 54k.

Interesting post that I think summarises where Skoda were, and where Skoda have moved to.

I suspect other parts of the VAG group have changed similarly. Your decision is not easy.

The trouble is, and all us car enthusiasts possible feel similar, once you fall out of love with your car it’s akin to  forward planning the divorce!

Good luck.

Edited by kevberlin
  • Like 1

I was ready yesterday to go and look at a 61 plate 2.0 TFSI A4 Quattro until I realised it's fitted with the same engine as the the Mk2 VRS that suffers from timing chain issues.

The car consumer aspires to more tech economy, speed, acceleration. Unfortunately this requires lighter materials throughout he car and these don't have the longevity of the older ones. The MkIII is not as robust as the MkII and probably the Mk1 was even more bombproof. I expect you'll get similar comments from Fabia and Superb owners. Sunroofs look great but they do seem to have their leaks and creaks...not just Skoda. It's not just VAG group, Fords, BMW, JLR to name a few recently have had some appalling catastrophic engine failures. I thought the Alfa Guilio Veloce was looking good until I read a report today, saying it was a lovely car....apart from ECU electrical gremlins caused by water ingress. 

Sadly it won’t matter what you buy, it’ll be the same. I can climb out of my 2003 Mercedes CLK (which for some reason appears to be stocked with switchgear from the Ford Transit parts bin; hardly Mercedes’ finest hour) and into my friends GLC220d coupe and although there is a lot that is better in the new car, my 15 year old has noticeably superior seat material, carpet, aluminium trim etc and no squeeks or rattles. That GLC is riddled with rattles and funny noises. 

Have to say, my Octy is solid as anything even after me pulling a great deal of the interior apart and it’s nearly 83k miles. Some seem to be better than others.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Redboy said:

The car consumer aspires to more tech economy, speed, acceleration. Unfortunately this requires lighter materials throughout he car and these don't have the longevity of the older ones. The MkIII is not as robust as the MkII and probably the Mk1 was even more bombproof. I expect you'll get similar comments from Fabia and Superb owners. Sunroofs look great but they do seem to have their leaks and creaks...not just Skoda. It's not just VAG group, Fords, BMW, JLR to name a few recently have had some appalling catastrophic engine failures. I thought the Alfa Guilio Veloce was looking good until I read a report today, saying it was a lovely car....apart from ECU electrical gremlins caused by water ingress. 

I agree.  It is really a problem of our own making.  We want more power, speed, gadgets and all at an affordable price, so something has to give.  Build quality is normally the thing that has to give.

In the automotive supply world, suppliers are forced to make year on year cost downs to their customers (the OEM's). Unfortunately, this means manufacturing from lower grade materials and/or using cheaper manufacturing processes.

4 hours ago, Redboy said:

You’ve hit the nail squarely on the head! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

Sadly it won’t matter what you buy, it’ll be the same. I can climb out of my 2003 Mercedes CLK (which for some reason appears to be stocked with switchgear from the Ford Transit parts bin; hardly Mercedes’ finest hour) and into my friends GLC220d coupe and although there is a lot that is better in the new car, my 15 year old has noticeably superior seat material, carpet, aluminium trim etc and no squeeks or rattles. That GLC is riddled with rattles and funny noises. 

Have to say, my Octy is solid as anything even after me pulling a great deal of the interior apart and it’s nearly 83k miles. Some seem to be better than others.

My brother’s C class 2017 is a rattle box & poor quality inside. He is very disappointed with it indeed. 

His 2010 E was much, much more solidly built & felt leagues ahead in terms of quality. 

Back to Skoda - my Mk 2 vRS did 80k mikes with me over 7 years from new. Not one rattle. Ever. 

I love my Mk 3, and the Pano hasn’t started creaking yet, but it doesn’t feel quite as solid as the Mk 2. Time will tell......

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

Sadly it won’t matter what you buy, it’ll be the same. I can climb out of my 2003 Mercedes CLK (which for some reason appears to be stocked with switchgear from the Ford Transit parts bin; hardly Mercedes’ finest hour) and into my friends GLC220d coupe and although there is a lot that is better in the new car, my 15 year old has noticeably superior seat material, carpet, aluminium trim etc and no squeeks or rattles

Agree with you on that apart from my Dads 52 plate C240 which he bought in 2004 with 6k on and has now done 85k .... It has practically rusted away on the outside.  Don't know what they got so tragically wrong on those C class in that era but most I see look the same.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

They used water based paints and didn’t get the corrosion protection right. My CLK has very minimal corrosion around the rear arches, nothing out of the ordinary for a similarly aged car. Some of them aren’t so lucky!

And no doubt sounds awesome under power? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, butchvrs said:

I

NOW, this week the n/s/r wheel bearing is starting to rumble @ 23300 miles, 5 days after the warranty ran out.

Are you sure? The Independent rear suspension is prone to wearing the rear tyres in a strange way that causes a similar noise. Swap wheels around to prove/disprove before you change the wheel bearing.

Edited by bigjohn
Spulling

I badly miss the noise my TVR Chimaera made.....

But, Children 1 - 0 Fun Cars. 

The vRS is a saviour. Fun, fast and family friendly (noise a bit rubbish though). 

• Like 1

Don't worry Dunc, you'll pop out the other end in 20 years and be able to get what ever TVR are shipping out by then - I'm convinced it won't be autonomous ! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

I badly miss the noise my TVR Chimaera made.....

But, Children 1 - 0 Fun Cars. 

The vRS is a saviour. Fun, fast and family friendly (noise a bit rubbish though). 

I have tried to keep the toys afloat despite having a family and tbf it’s working I just fancy a different toy :)

1 hour ago, bigjohn said:

Are you sure? The Independent rear suspension is prone to wearing the rear tyres in a strange way that causes a similar noise. Swap wheels around to prove/disprove before you change the wheel bearing.

I thought my bearings on back were going and your quite right the low profile bridgestones on there were the cause of the rumbling. Guy at Tyre place said it will go away with new tyres and it has. Never heard of before but the tyres where  causing the rumble

I'm taking to get a Hunter 4 wheel tracking done on it this morning and inspect the n/s/r tyre to see if it's been deformed, which wouldn't surprise me considering the state of Britain's roads.

Some main roads in Gloucestershire are akin to driving down farm tracks they're in such a state! But I guess it's the same Country wide :angry:.

Esseesse200, I had a DTUK box fitted up until a few weeks back as it was going in for a major service and I've not refitted (for sale @ £225), however I'm thinking of going for a Revo Stage 2 remap if I keep it, maybe that'll put a smile on my face!

Edited by butchvrs
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sounds like you bought a dog mate. 

Lets not generalise here. You’ve had some good cars previously and every now and again a jinxed one slips through the net at the manufacturing stage. 

I’m on my fourth Skoda and every one has been a joy to own. That’s probably why I’ve kept going back. 

Even top top level vehicles can go wrong and I’m sure even the proudest Bentley and Rolls Royce owners have suffered over the years. 

What at I would say about the Audi is consider not only the cars cost but the running costs too. A 14 plate car is probably coming to a phase in its life where things will need replacing or servicing. Also factor in insurance, fuel and overal service costs. 

The S4 is a wonderful car but take care as it’s a totally different beast to the Octavia. 

Whatever you decide I wish you well. 

Edited by EddGee

I had a 2008 vRS which had a wheel bearing noise. Both swapped under warranty and still did it. The Dunlop’s has deformed on the inner edge and Skoda had the wheel alignment done. After that there were no issues. Swapped to a 14 plate vRS and the quality of materials didn’t seem the same. Seat fabric nowhere near as good. Windscreen leaked so replaced, water damage to lane assist camera, touch screen stereo kept changing channel on its own and phoning people at random. Eventually got it all sorted but it’s a hassle. Just swapped that for a 66 plate vRS 4x4 which I’m intending to keep. Had 7k on when I bought it in November and put winter wheels/tyres on almost straight away. Hit a pothole and blew seal of rear tyre but when wheel came off, inner edge of tyre was badly worn and had only done 3k on them.  Phoned Skoda to ask about 4 wheel alignment check and got stock answer of 6k miles and fair w&t. hope that sorts your problem. 

I’ve just read EddGee’s post and can say it’s true. I have a friend with an 11 plate S4. It’s in a different league for acceleration but there’s nowhere near as much room and he’s lucky to get 20mpg and it’s more likely to get stolen after some scum breaks into your house. I also look after a few nice cars for someone. His every day car is a Bentley V8. Just had a service at £1190. No idea where that get that from. I can plug VCDS in and check faults. They can’t find the problem of it not starting as computer says no faults. A set of tyres has just cost £1278 and they only do about 6k. I still love driving my car after all the others and once the problems are sorted you’ll forget and enjoy driving it again. 

11 hours ago, DaveG1962 said:

I thought my bearings on back were going and your quite right the low profile bridgestones on there were the cause of the rumbling. Guy at Tyre place said it will go away with new tyres and it has. Never heard of before but the tyres where  causing the rumble

Our Ceed was always a quiet car but that suddenly changed. Went away to Scotland for a week in a nice refined car and came back one week later (and a 1000 miles) in a tractor, only really bad over the last 50 miles or so. 7 year warranty so off to the dealer who looked at the car, looked at the mileage and said its the rear tyres, every one with Michelins did it apparently.  Easy enough for me to prove if he was lying, back home and swapped back to the winters. Took the car on a run and it was back to the Ceed we had owned for almost 5 years, no horrendous noises. Looked at the Michelins and they had worn to a saw tooth pattern on the inside shoulder tread. Refitted them with the fronts and rears swapped round, no more issues.