Driver seating comfort

Since the day I collected my new Octavia auto from the showroom in 2015, I've struggled to find a comfortable seat position.  Is it just me?

I am a 70 year old, 12 stone, 6 foot tall male.  I feel the seat should reach further forward so the front edge is just behind my knees, When I'm on the move, my left leg and ankle get tired, I've tried sliding my left foot to the top of the rest, to the bottom, and on the floor between the rest and brake pedal.  For a while, my right ankle used to hurt but I cured that by adding a spring to hold the accelerator pedal up so its harder to press down.  Before that it felt so light I was having to hold my foot up all the time.  I've tried altering seat height, the angle of the seat back, and the steering wheel position.  Things are better if I sit on a wedge shaped cushion with the thicker part pulled forward to just behind my knees, but this doesn't help my left leg and foot/ankle.  I thought of buying a seat support cushion but there are so many different shapes and sizes, I don't know where to start. Is it just me or does anyone else have a problem.

Thank you for any suggestions

Stewart

Seat comfort depends on the person in question. I myself hate too much support behind my knees as I feel it can constrict blood flow. Worst of all I am having a problem with the trend for heavily bolstered seats in laters cars as I find they can dead leg me on very long runs.

It took me a while to find a good driving position and get used to the seat in my Superb II especially compared to the seat in my Superb I. However there are loads of later cars I really struggle with for all sorts of reason eg Focus - very bolstered and the driving position seems to constrict me all round. I am tall and big though!

My favorite seat of all time - Saab 9000 cs - this seat had adjustable thigh/knee support as it happens!

As I said at the start - that's just me! When getting another car - long test drives essential!

Edited by bigjohn

I was taken aback by the lack of adjustment on the drivers seat when I bought my Octy compared to previous cars. What adjustment there is is vast, but it’s only a 4 way adjustable seat. My Volvo had a (supremely comfortable) 8 way adjustable seat and my Mercedes has the even more comfortable optional 18 way adjustable orthopaedic seats. That said, I appear to be lucky as I find the vRS seats very comfy and I’m 5’7’’ and weigh 10 stone. What does annoy me is the position of the floor mat bungs. I have damaged one on my rubber mat in just 5 months because of its position, it’s just been rubbed away by a variety of heeled boots...

It's not just you. Skoda's are build to a budget, it foregoes many comfort options.

For me, as 175cm male and coming from Mercedes coupe, it was the ride height and steering wheel position. If I adjust seat to comfortable position (lowest and leaned back), I can't see the bottom row of warning lights, which has the important green ACC light. If I lower the steering wheel, my knees will knock against the steering column. So I have to sit at VAG approved up-right angle and steering wheel at a compromise to see top half of the warning lights.

Even the top spec cars don't have great adjustment. 

but as mentioned skoda is a budget brand. Also comes with budget showrooms and staff in my experience. Skoda U.K. Are terrible quite liked the car but after 100k in 4 and bit years interior was looking decidedly tired compared to my previous golf. Had enough bull from VAG and gone back to Lexus. Might cost more but damn do they look after you and make a genuinely quality product. Not nice looking soft touch plastics that end up a rattling mess.

• Like 1

@Stewart7, indeed depends on the driver and the seat options. Higher trim cars often usually much more seat adjustments, so you can more easily match each other. I measure similar numbers like yours, despite age difference. In Octavia it makes a difference between Style and RS 230 (we own both), plain cloth with basic adjustments + lumbar, and full electric seats on the RS. 

If I understood your issues properly, what you probably need is to have possibility to separately raise front and back of the seats, adjusting angle to be able to rest your foot behind your knees. I suppose cushion under the knees could have solved the problem. Try the ones with memory foam, they may shape asymmetrically as I suppose not both legs need same support. 

Never had an issue. 6 foot 3 and 15 stone.

Seats are as comfortable as the Saab I had before it. Yes there aren't 16 ways of adjusting it, but if I can get the seat low enough and at the right angle I'm happy.

In fact, I'd like it if the seats went lower, like a BMW, still feels a little like sitting "on" rather than "in", but I guess that's the modern way when everybody is buying SUVs to sit in the road equivalent of toddler high chairs.

Of course it'll never be old-Citroen comfortable. But even Citroen these days aren't as comfortable!

11 hours ago, Stewart7 said:

Since the day I collected my new Octavia auto from the showroom in 2015, I've struggled to find a comfortable seat position.  Is it just me?

I am a 70 year old, 12 stone, 6 foot tall male.  I feel the seat should reach further forward so the front edge is just behind my knees, When I'm on the move, my left leg and ankle get tired, I've tried sliding my left foot to the top of the rest, to the bottom, and on the floor between the rest and brake pedal.  For a while, my right ankle used to hurt but I cured that by adding a spring to hold the accelerator pedal up so its harder to press down.  Before that it felt so light I was having to hold my foot up all the time.  I've tried altering seat height, the angle of the seat back, and the steering wheel position.  Things are better if I sit on a wedge shaped cushion with the thicker part pulled forward to just behind my knees, but this doesn't help my left leg and foot/ankle.  I thought of buying a seat support cushion but there are so many different shapes and sizes, I don't know where to start. Is it just me or does anyone else have a problem.

Thank you for any suggestions

Stewart

Whilst I cannot help with the seating position, I would be keen to see a picture of the spring you added to the accelerator pedal and where you purchased the spring from if possible.

That is one of the small things I miss from the Mk2 Octavia, the lovely hinged accelerator pedal!! Why they got rid of that I don't know!

It has gone from the Golf and Audi models too I believe.

To me it was lovely to use, perhaps I was in the minority because of my size 12 feet! :)

PS: I know this helped me a bit on the driving position of the Mk2. I removed the plastic foot rest to the left of the clutch pedal so I could stretch my left leg out.

This is less of an issue now because I've gone auto in the Mk3.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mr Statto said:

I just wish there was a foot rest for your right foot when you're running on cruise control

I used to have one on my Octy II.  Searched for ages for one for the O3 but they don't seem to exist.  Maybe a modified one would fit?

The standard seats in Octavia is very short, longer people will be better off with the sports/RS seats I believe.

The 12-way electric seats in my Laurin & Klement gives a lot more adjustments, and for me that are short, it was the only Octavia seats I could sit in relatively comfortable.

Automatic gearbox and adaptive cruise control makes it a lot easier  - I dont use the pedals anyway :-)

And the footrest for my left foot is very good.

I found coming to the Skoda Octavia from a VW golf GTs very uncomfortable at first, mainly down to the seat's, I'd been used to the more hugging sports style of seat that the golf has. The Octavia one's were more akin to a bench seat. Many of thousands of miles later and on my second Octavia, my 6' plus frame and 15st plus carcass is getting more comfortable, the more miles I drive.

I would like the seat to adjust up more or the steering wheel to come down more, so that I can make the wheel contact my knee more easily, especially when I get a sneezing fit (having quite a few of late):D

11 hours ago, nidza said:

@Stewart7, indeed depends on the driver and the seat options. Higher trim cars often usually much more seat adjustments, so you can more easily match each other. I measure similar numbers like yours, despite age difference. In Octavia it makes a difference between Style and RS 230 (we own both), plain cloth with basic adjustments + lumbar, and full electric seats on the RS. 

If I understood your issues properly, what you probably need is to have possibility to separately raise front and back of the seats, adjusting angle to be able to rest your foot behind your knees. I suppose cushion under the knees could have solved the problem. Try the ones with memory foam, they may shape asymmetrically as I suppose not both legs need same support. 

Hi Nidza  I think you are right about wanting to raise front and back separately.  If I could raise the front and keep the back down, that might do it.  Thanks for the tip about memory foam.  I'll give it a try.

I've personally had to adjust a couple of times as I found I was pushing the wheel with my left arm all the time in my default position. So I dropped the seat some and moved the wheel to compensate, adjusting the seat back minimally. I can now do 8 hours without too many problems, i.e. none. I've chopped off the visibility of the top side of the speedo, because that's the bit I'm not too worried about. If it's 120 or 130km/h isn't a problem when I can read the numbers off the display anyway...dropping the seat also brought the door armrest towards being a useful support, as with the centre armrest.

- Bret

I don't have big issues with our Mk3's seating, it's an Elegance so has the Alcantara/Leather, lumber and we have seat heating. It's not bad but the adjustment is very limited, I'd like to see base angle and 4 way lumber adjustment. I have them on my works van !

What annoys me is the Mk2 had more comfortable seating and our Mk2 is only an SE. Not only is the seating better, the driving position and dashboard view is better, there is a foot rest for the right foot with a floor mounted accelerator and the handbrake is on the drivers side not the passengers.  Lazy design or too much cost cutting?

The Mk2 feels better put together and deals with ridges and potholes better (Not just a torsion beam issue either as the independent models are mostly the same and the front is worse than the back)

Lee

Edited by logiclee

Apart from not having cruise control or a right footrest, my basic Mk3 is perfectly relaxing and comfortable. Loads of head room, adjustable steering column, variable lumbar support, variable height seat base and reclining backrest. Fits my 6'2", 93kg self just fine and is as comfortable as I could wish for. I've owned cars from the 60s, 70s , 80s and 90s with none or just one of the above features. A 1970s Renault 18 was the most comfortable of the lot, with nothing adjustable except sliding the seat backwards and forwards. And, no, I don't want a longer seat base cutting off my blood supply.

A long test run is very important when choosing a new car.:dry:

Edited by gregoir

I don’t have any issues either with the seat, I personally find that the range of movement suits the position I’m after but I do agree with the issues of the right peddle, it’s to easy to press down so I feel like I’m holding my foot up all the time and there is no place to rest it, I find myself on long journeys trying to wedge my foot some place and another thing is I rest my elbows on the central console which is nice and padded and my other arm on the door arm rest, now that is hard on long journeys, I feel like I need a cushion lol

• 5 months later...
On 01/05/2018 at 22:19, gregoir said:

Apart from not having cruise control or a right footrest, my basic Mk3 is perfectly relaxing and comfortable. Loads of head room, adjustable steering column, variable lumbar support, variable height seat base and reclining backrest. Fits my 6'2", 93kg self just fine and is as comfortable as I could wish for. I've owned cars from the 60s, 70s , 80s and 90s with none or just one of the above features. A 1970s Renault 18 was the most comfortable of the lot, with nothing adjustable except sliding the seat backwards and forwards. And, no, I don't want a longer seat base cutting off my blood supply.

A long test run is very important when choosing a new car.:dry:

My most comfortable was the bench seat in a Vauxhall Victor, 1955 vintage.  2nd was the Mk1 Triumph 2000.  Those were the days.

I've got the Electric front seats (driver side memory) in mine and it took a while to get the position right.  I actually have position 1 for day to day and position 3 for long motorway journeys.  What I do have to be aware of is how I hold the steering wheel.  I have a habit of using my right hand on the wheel (left of centre) and elbow on the window sill.  I find this causes my shoulder to ache and I'm now checking when driving that I don't do it.

I miss the driver side footrest on the right massively as I use cruise quite a lot.