What would owners replace their superb with?

14 hours ago, Whenwillilearn said:

Is your 220ps a dsg or manual

If you had looked at a Superb price list or brochure you would know that the 220 is, like the 280, only available with DSG. If it had been manual I may just have had a drive, then gone and ordered a 150 PS simply because its more than enough.

6 hours ago, skidpan said:

If you had looked at a Superb price list or brochure you would know that the 220 is, like the 280, only available with DSG. If it had been manual I may just have had a drive, then gone and ordered a 150 PS simply because its more than enough.

More than enough for you maybe .....

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, skidpan said:

I dont have a photographic memory for spec sheets. 

On 6/6/2018 at 13:17, xman said:

I will replace my Superb with a free bus pass, if they still give them out in 20 years time. ;)

I've got the best of both worlds - a Superb and a free bus pass!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Penpusher said:

I've got the best of both worlds - a Superb and a free bus pass!

Same here :biggrin: 

On 06/06/2018 at 18:29, Nick_H said:

More than enough for you maybe .....

Well we went to the coast in our 1.0 TSi 110 PS Fabia yesterday, had a good run there and back (260 miles), traffic reasonable on A roads but M1 busy (60 mph limit for a decent time - 10mph for about 4 miles due to accident).

If we had used our 150 PS Superb we would have not have got there a second quicker unless we had risked our licences.

If we had bought a 280 PS Superb we would not have got there a second quicker but would have used a lot more fuel.

Having 170 surplus PS under the bonnet (to be honest I only needed to floor the Fabia once) would not have made me a better person but doing exactly the same with less and saving money certainly makes me a more intelligent one.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, skidpan said:

Having 170 surplus PS under the bonnet (to be honest I only needed to floor the Fabia once) would not have made me a better person but doing exactly the same with less and saving money certainly makes me a more intelligent one.

Not sure how you equate greater bhp with lesser intelligence. The two are completely unrelated.

In terms of what I would replace my superb with - no idea. Would like an e class estate but I wouldn't want to spend that amount of cash.

Edited by pj101

Fight! Fight!

It's the old heart v head dilemma again. What you want v what you need. Sometimes, what you want v what you can afford. What you can afford v what is practical or necessary. 

I want/can afford a new Aston Martin. I need an extension on my property. I just won't be able to drift it around a corner. Umm, and probably run it off the road and smash it to pieces. See? Sometimes you get what you need. Ooh! Ear worm... :D

50 minutes ago, pj101 said:

Not sure how you equate greater bhp with lesser intelligence. The two are completely unrelated.

Easy. Jeremy Clarkson is stupid, we all know that. He insists that power is the answer to everything in his road tests.

Thus the two are related.

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, skidpan said:

Easy. Jeremy Clarkson is stupid, we all know that. He insists that power is the answer to everything in his road tests.

Your intelligence is warmly received and appreciated.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, skidpan said:

Well we went to the coast in our 1.0 TSi 110 PS Fabia yesterday, had a good run there and back (260 miles), traffic reasonable on A roads but M1 busy (60 mph limit for a decent time - 10mph for about 4 miles due to accident).

If we had used our 150 PS Superb we would have not have got there a second quicker unless we had risked our licences.

If we had bought a 280 PS Superb we would not have got there a second quicker but would have used a lot more fuel.

Haha ! Ok....

5 hours ago, skidpan said:

It's a blessing to be in the company of such a genius, who actually believes all that he spouts.  We all own cars for different reasons, none is more right than the other.

• Like 1

It is true that a 1.0 car got you there at the same time as a 2.0 would have.

However I prefer to have the 170+surplus bhp at my disposal should I need it to get me out of any sticky situations. 

Horses for courses 

I have the old breed MKII Superb 1.4tsi - yet it is still a 127mph car and officially does 47.9 mpg

Real life:-

• mpg - measured over many 10's  of thousands of miles - 45.8 - close enough for me.
  • top speed - don't like to try this but once in Germany, just after I had bought the car, cruising at 130kph (recommended speed limit on an unlimited Autobahn) , I accelerated er "a bit" to get out of the way of a long flashing Merc bearing down on me as I passed some slower cars. I was surprised that when I pulled in ahead of the cars it pulled in behind me. I was slightly concerned but then I realised I had "blipped" up to 195km/hr on the Satnav (121 mph?). Little noise or fuss! Wow I'd only just got the car but was impressed.
  • Unlike the original poster - Except for one engine management light caused by me!! (overfilled with petrol in Luxembourg as I'm a tight Yorkshireman) I have had no issues whatsoever  - now over 4 years old and nearly 60k miles.

Next car will be a tsi - probably a small cc. Will it be a Superb? I'm not sure yet as I was thinking of eventually downsizing but at 6'4" the large doors suit me in the Superb (In a Leon my elbow misses the door arm rest and hits the B pillar instead)

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, flyingpigvrs said:

It is true that a 1.0 car got you there at the same time as a 2.0 would have.

However I prefer to have the 170+surplus bhp at my disposal should I need it to get me out of any sticky situations. 

Horses for courses 

But only an idiot gets into situations where 170 hp is needed to get out of "sticky" situations.

But if the girlfriends husband has more power than you you are still in a "sticky situation".

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, skidpan said:

But only an idiot gets into situations where 170 hp is needed to get out of "sticky" situations.

But if the girlfriends husband has more power than you you are still in a "sticky situation".

Really?

I drive over a thousand miles a week, and have advanced driver training higher than anything IAM or ROSPA can provide. 

I quite often have to use the power of the vehicle I am in to drive myself out of a situation caused by other drivers failing to react appropriately. 

That makes me an idiot does it?

To bring this topic slightly back on track, but still linked to the comments above about power, I don't think I would replace my 280 with anything with less power. Being here in Luxembourg, our motorway sliproads are much shorter than in UK, and usually preceded by a hairpin bend, so having a bit of power to get from 50kph to 130kph to join a busy motorway is a definite safety feature. When mine was in for a service, I had a new Golf 1.0TSI as a courtesy car, nice car, but dear god, the trucks on the motorway seemed a lot bigger and quicker when you are merging onto the motorway in it...…..

The talk about a new Superb Vrs with 300bhp could be interesting, but my worry is that technology is moving so fast, a new Superb at the end of my current deal (next year) is starting to get left behind the newer, albeit costlier, competition. When you look at the latest tech on the new Audi A6 it is starting to make the interior of the Superb look very out of date. Unless the 2019 Superb has virtual cockpit, fancy led headlights, more power (ideally the 3.0 TSI Audi engine) then I might have to, regrettably, leave a Superb for something with 4 rings on it.

• Thanks 1

@flyingpigvrs, you just have to accept that having more power or selecting a car with a different spec from skidpan means you’re an idiot :D

Seriously though, you’re being trolled (I hope) or else he/she has some serious issues.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, flyingpigvrs said:

I drive over a thousand miles a week, and have advanced driver training higher than anything IAM or ROSPA can provide. 

I quite often have to use the power of the vehicle I am in to drive myself out of a situation caused by other drivers failing to react appropriately. 

That makes me an idiot does it?

If you "quite often have to use the power of the vehicle I am in to drive myself out of a situation caused by other drivers failing to react appropriately" then I would suggest you need further training. It happens to us all from time to time but for it to happen frequently shows issues with your own driving.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, skidpan said:

If you "quite often have to use the power of the vehicle I am in to drive myself out of a situation caused by other drivers failing to react appropriately" then I would suggest you need further training. It happens to us all from time to time but for it to happen frequently shows issues with your own driving.

I'd love to do more training. Unfortunately there is no other courses available to improve my driving skills further.

I'd love to be as insightful as you, maybe that would help. 

On 6/8/2018 at 12:51, skidpan said:

I'm sure the ride would have been more pleasant in the Superb, speed isn't everything.

3 hours ago, IJWS15 said:

I'm sure the ride would have been more pleasant in the Superb, speed isn't everything.

I am sure it would have been but the purpose of my post was to suggest that on a drive of 125 miles not exceeding the national speed limits the Fabia was just as quick.

Truth be told the Fabia did just as well as the BMW 118D we had some years ago and did better mpg.