Windscreen Cleaning - Inside

As per title...

Never noticed it when car was delivered a month ago but after about a week or so and early morning drive direct into sun, was like looking through fog!

Since then have tried damp cloth and kitchen roll, glass cleaner, vinegar etc etc. Nothing seems to remove whatever the film or fog is, just moves it around the screen. 

Any recommendations? Car was brand new and I am non smoker. It was as if it had been shipped with windows open and Embassy Regal chainsmokers sat inside. But only on windscreen????

Cheers

I find that I get the foggy film going on in my my front screen from time to time. I just use one of the chamois leather demist pads and clean/wipe it after a journey when the screen is warmer inside rather than it being cold like it is first thing in the morning. 

Iirc, it's due to the fact that us humans breath out and this is what causes the fogging. I contemplated stopping breathing but I just didn't fancy the idea :o

• Like 1

White vinegar usually works best for me, but you could always try: Isopropyl Alcohol, Lens/Glasses Wipes, Surgical Spirit.

I've also tried Lidl's glass cleaner, which works quite well, otherwise it can be as simple as a brand new clean duster fresh out of the packet. Someone did actually tell me that moist toilet wipes do it too, but I haven't tried them yet! 

You dont need any cleaning products just a microfibre sponge/cloth.

I think mine is from ASDA/Tescos & cleans the windscreen easily in a couple of wipes.

You can see the clean streak immediately after wiping.

Also, the misting gets less as the car gets older.

I had to clean mine twice a week when the car was new, now I do it probably twice a year.

Thanks folks but as I said, tried glass cleaner, white vinegar, wipes for glasses and nothing is removing whatever it is thats on there, just moving it around. Could there have been a coating of some sort on it from manufacture/transit?

Cheers

I did have this once after having a new window fitted and it was due to the clear plastic thats on the window when being transported.  If its been in very cold conditions it seems to leave an imprint on the window.  I had to use a very abrasive polish to get it of, then cleaned again with glass cleaner.

Ive also seen similair from having aircon on although glass cleaner did shift it.

Window cleaners secret mixture might do it.  Put 5mm of dishwasher rinse aid and a couple of drops of washing up liquid in a Windowlene spray bottle and top up with water.   spray on and polish off with newspaper or microfibre cloth.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gabbo said:

You dont need any cleaning products just a microfibre sponge/cloth.

I think mine is from ASDA/Tescos & cleans the windscreen easily in a couple of wipes.

You can see the clean streak immediately after wiping.

That's what I use, but it takes a lot of hard scrubbing. It's a job I hate.

10 hours ago, Offski said:

Amazing the fumes that come out on new cars plastics, then the A/C and the dealers prep guys and girls chemicals that some use.

Some new cars have little or no issues and some have in regularly.

You have to love that 'new car smell. Glue and plastic!

I spray some deionised water on first before cleaning the interior with microfibre cloths. Just feels that it'll be less likely to scratch any shiny surfaces. 

You could try autoglym glass polish, it should remove any layer thats on the glass. The spray type cleaners are very good but sometimes you just need a bit of abrasion to get the job done!

• Like 1

I've always used white spirit to strip off any rubbish and then I use autogylm glass polish on the inside and then turtle wax clearvue on the outside.

Don't use a lot of white spirit, just enough to do the job. Wouldn't want to damage anything

1 hour ago, gregoir said:

Are pink, blue or yellow microfibre cloths best?:dull:

I'm going to be so un-PC and Blue is for Boys, Pink for Girls and Yellow for anyone who doesn't fit into the previous two or just doesn't care. :devil:

It's the chemicals/plasticisers evaporating from the dash/plastics due to it being new. It gets less and less as the car gets older as there is less chemicals to leak.

It happens, you've just got to accept the fact :)

anyway, what I do is give it a clean once a week with Autoglym glass polish, applied with a foam applicator pad and buffed off with a microfibre. 

Using a polish will help prevent as much from sticking to the glass and makes it easier next time. 

I wouldn't use things like meths as you're just going to add to the chemical cocktail in the cabin, which isn't going to be good. Plus you're likely to ruin your dashboard if you spill any. 

it's just a case of staying on top of it so there are no surprises on a sunny summer morning and you can't see!