VCP - VCDS 17 Instrument adaptation help

Hi all,

I will have to ask for help about activating adaptations on my Skoda Superb II (3T) - MY2010

As you can see I have VCP but I can`t find the right Security Code/Access to input and activate adaptation of group 17 - Instrument.

Have already tried 20103, 25327, 13861 but they don`t work.

So does anybody on this forum has idea or code that I can use to access the adaptation settings?

Thanks!

VCP-17-Instrument.jpg

20 minutes ago, linni said:

What do you want to adapt exactly?

VCDS can enter into cluster settings without any code, afaik.

I need to adapt my fuel gauge and try to turn on cruse control speed display on MFD.

Yes, easily done by VCDS.

(Not a suggestion, just thinking by myself):

I am not a wealthy person, I bought my chinese fake VCDS from ebay for 50 euros, but it works.

Edited by linni

Dunno, coded my cruise speed in couple of clicks. Also recalibrated fuel consuption - added 15% and voila! MFD shows correct consuption figures now.

• Like 1

I seem to recall that cruise display on MFD only works with certain ECU/Cluster combinations.  Is that still the situation or has it changed?

24 minutes ago, wokwon said:

I seem to recall that cruise display on MFD only works with certain ECU/Cluster combinations.  Is that still the situation or has it changed?

As far as I know yes, but I have to obtain Security Code to try it out. My main goal is to ajust fuel gauge, everything else is a bonus :)

For Golf 1K its easy

Security Access
13861 = Adaptation Enabling

I don't have an answer on what the security code is (yet at least) but I can say that it's probably going to be similar to that of the mk6 Golf, based on the label file VCDS uses on the cluster being a 5K0 type rather than 1K0. These clusters appear to be known as UDS - I'm guessing it's the technology platform they are based on.

Something I find annoying is that Ross-Tech, on their wiki, frequently mention getting the security code from the workshop manual. I have the full set of manuals for the Superb yet to date I have not found this code anywhere in them.

8 hours ago, chimaera said:

I don't have an answer on what the security code is (yet at least) but I can say that it's probably going to be similar to that of the mk6 Golf, based on the label file VCDS uses on the cluster being a 5K0 type rather than 1K0. These clusters appear to be known as UDS - I'm guessing it's the technology platform they are based on.

Something I find annoying is that Ross-Tech, on their wiki, frequently mention getting the security code from the workshop manual. I have the full set of manuals for the Superb yet to date I have not found this code anywhere in them.

Yes, I also have gone over ElsaWin workshop manual over that information and haven`t found the code. As far as I read on the forums it is true for older cars (built before 2005.).

VCP has a Login finder where you can enter a range for code, but the problem on my Superb is that it has a time lock. If you enter 2 wrong codes you need to wait before you can input it again. So that tool is useless on my car.

here is a video how it works https://youtu.be/4__RA2VM4YM?t=39s

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 20:53, linni said:

I am not a wealthy person, I bought my chinese fake VCDS from ebay for 50 euros, but it works.

I am not wealthy either but payed for a proper vcds that does have security codes that pop up.

Without people paying for services those services will not exist.

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 06:11, wokwon said:

afaik the Cruise display doesn't work on the pre-FL cluster. Certainly doesn't on my maxidot anyway and I've read others have had the same outcome. Works fine on my dads 2014 FL Elegance.

On 11/07/2018 at 09:08, superbdreams said:

I am not wealthy either but payed for a proper vcds that does have security codes that pop up.

Without people paying for services those services will not exist.

Correct.

But here we meet again the existential question - are Microsoft products fairly priced, having the richest guy in the world  it`s owner?

Is 300 euros fair price for Columbus one year map update, when Tpmtom / Garmin sell you a whole device with lifetime map updates for 50 euros?

100 - 150 euros - yes.

450 euros for VCDS - I have doubts.

I have VCP and VCDS and with neither you need to enter a security code for the cruise control activation. It might be an issue of the instrument cluster itself.

1 hour ago, linni said:

Correct.

But here we meet again the existential question - are Microsoft products fairly priced, having the richest guy in the world  it`s owner?

Is 300 euros fair price for Columbus one year map update, when Tpmtom / Garmin sell you a whole device with lifetime map updates for 50 euros?

100 - 150 euros - yes.

Comparing Bill Gates (Microsoft employs 125000 odd people - over 4 billion Windows users worldwide) to Uwe Ross (Ross Tech employs 18 people - 4327 legitimate users worldwide*) is a little one sided and hardly a fair comparison. If Bill Gates decided to he could pay off every one of his staff mortgages and give them a pension for life, and retire happy. If Uwe decided to do the same thing he'd be on the streets I suspect, sleeping alongside all his staff. Just because they charge a fair price for a product which is unavailable anywhere else (and I include all the hookey clone copies in this because they wouldn't exist without Ross Tech) it doesn't mean they're overpricing the product and taking the eyes of all their customers. They're doing what they need to to pay the bills and keep the product on the market.

If you begrudge paying Ross Tech for the product they spend 8 hours a day, 5 days a week producing, but are happy to pay some Chinese thief** for the same product he stole, then shame on you.

By the way, it was not too long ago that TomTom / Garmin were charging for map updates which people were stealing / cloning and distributing openly on the web. Their answer to this was to increase the cost of the units and offer free map updates for life. Something similar to the Ross Tech business model where you pay for the cable, and all future software updates are free.

*I have no idea how many VCDS users there are worldwide, I just made up a number.

**Not all Chinese are thieves, and not all VCDS thieves are Chinese.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, linni said:

It should be closer to €260 for a 3 vin HEX-V2 :)

Anyway, assuming the OP hasn't solved this, I'd suggest contacting VCP directly.

4 hours ago, linni said:

Correct.

100 - 150 euros - yes.

An excellent point!

I feel you have hit the nail on the head with your argument. well done sir!

I emailed Ross-Tech support on this earlier in the week and they don't know any more than we do on the topic.

From what I can see, there's little known about this generation of clusters beyond the basics. I'm wondering if the security stuff on them requires VAG diagnostics to be able to phone home to get access.

VCDS has never prevented me from changing the adaption channels on my cluster and I don't recall needing a security code nor do any guides mention one.

I fear this is a VCP bug, assuming the OP has a genuine interface they need to contact VCP for assistance.

edit:

I just hooked up similar clusters running software 0320, 0608, 0811 and 1018 on my testbench. I've changed the "Cruise control display" adaption channel on each without needing a security code/login. The rosstech wiki page mentioned referencing a security code is for earlier clusters than fitted to the OP car.

Edited by langers2k

30 minutes ago, superbdreams said:

An excellent point!

I feel you have hit the nail on the head with your argument. well done sir!

Right! I am the man who buys all my music online and never downloads movies from torrent!

Look at the mirror first before you start yelling.

So update on my problem. Today with VCDS 18.2.1 no luck Adaptation channel on my instrument cluster can't be opened it is greyed out. So if anybody has any idea about SA code that could enable it please post it.

Edited by dkarolj

48 minutes ago, langers2k said:

It's possible your cluster is too old to support cruise control display, SW:0109 is pretty old...

CCD is not the primary goal for me, I would like to adjust fuel level gauge as low fuel is coming on at cca. 15l in tank and by user manual it should be around 9l. 

Edited by dkarolj

Just tried changing "Display correction of fuel gauge" on my cluster using VCDS and no code was needed...

I haven't got any clusters old enough to be running SW:01xx to check I'm afraid.