What have you done to your Superb III today?

I just repaired my engine stop start button. It had developed the common fault of working less and less often and I know I could have replaced it but I figured I'd have a go at repairing first.

1 T25 screw in the underside of the lower column shroud, then 2 T25  screws in the column only visible when the wheel is turned 90 degrees. With the lower cover off I unplugged the 2 connectors. 1 is the switch and 1 is the light.

Using the probes on my meter I popped the bits that helped me push the barrel out of the shroud and set about dismantling it. There are 4 plastic clips holding it together. 1 is visible, 1 is hidden under the sticker and 2 are hidden under the metal clips on either side. With pliers gently pull those metal clips out, then using the extra arms you were born with, get something under each of the 4 clips and separate the barrel. It all comes apart after that and all I did was apply a little iso alcohol to the 4 contact points on the board as well as to the 4 contacts on the silicone bit. Put it all back together and now I can turn my car on and off first time every time. Rather than 7th time sometimes!

For the sake of the search engine I'll add the words KESSY engine stop start button.

No need to spend any money to have your car start like it should do!

I hadn't seen this post before, but there's a photo in it of the barrel disassembled

Edited by DBT85
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, DBT85 said:

I just repaired my engine stop start button. It had developed the common fault of working less and less often and I know I could have replaced it but I figured I'd have a go at repairing first.

1 T25 screw in the underside of the lower column shroud, then 2 T25  screws in the column only visible when the wheel is turned 90 degrees. With the lower cover off I unplugged the 2 connectors. 1 is the switch and 1 is the light.

Using the probes on my meter I popped the bits that helped me push the barrel out of the shroud and set about dismantling it. There are 4 plastic clips holding it together. 1 is visible, 1 is hidden under the sticker and 2 are hidden under the metal clips on either side. With pliers gently pull those metal clips out, then using the extra arms you were born with, get something under each of the 4 clips and separate the barrel. It all comes apart after that and all I did was apply a little iso alcohol to the 4 contact points on the board as well as to the 4 contacts on the silicone bit. Put it all back together and now I can turn my car on and off first time every time. Rather than 7th time sometimes!

For the sake of the search engine I'll add the words KESSY engine stop start button.

No need to spend any money to have your car start like it should do!

Good work. :thumbup:I think this is an issue many of us will face at some point if we keep our cars long enough. What age / mileage is your 280 when it started playing up?

10 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

Good work. :thumbup:I think this is an issue many of us will face at some point if we keep our cars long enough. What age / mileage is your 280 when it started playing up?

Ohh lets see. I've just done it at 58k and first handover to the garage I got it from was 22nd September 2017, so just over 3.5 ish years old now. It was probably doing it at least 6 months ago if not more, but when you don't know its a known issue you put it down to not hitting it right or whatever. Only in the last 3 months have I really realised that its taking multiple actions to start and stop the car and it wasn't just me having finger trouble.

I might have been able to argue when it has its major service next week that the button to start the car isn't fit for purpose if it dies 4 years in, and that it should be replaced free despite being out of warranty. Frankly for 20 minutes of fiddling it was easier doing this. Last thing I wanted was them doing it and going "well we decided not to do it for free so where's our £150 for this 10 minute job?".

• Like 1

I had a similar issue with my Yeti KESSY start/stop button a couple of times over the 7 years and 90k miles I had the car.

I didn't need to dismantle anything apart from carefully prising the chrome ring out from around the start/stop button then giving a good spray of electrical cleaner in where the ring sits. Worked a treat and a 5 minute job. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DBT85 said:

Ohh lets see. I've just done it at 58k and first handover to the garage I got it from was 22nd September 2017, so just over 3.5 ish years old now. It was probably doing it at least 6 months ago if not more, but when you don't know its a known issue you put it down to not hitting it right or whatever. Only in the last 3 months have I really realised that its taking multiple actions to start and stop the car and it wasn't just me having finger trouble.

I might have been able to argue when it has its major service next week that the button to start the car isn't fit for purpose if it dies 4 years in, and that it should be replaced free despite being out of warranty. Frankly for 20 minutes of fiddling it was easier doing this. Last thing I wanted was them doing it and going "well we decided not to do it for free so where's our £150 for this 10 minute job?".

OK. Mine is at 47k & 16 reg so just about in the same window. TBH I haven't noticed any hiccups - yet, but you never know. 

12 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

OK. Mine is at 47k & 16 reg so just about in the same window. TBH I haven't noticed any hiccups - yet, but you never know. 

Think I'll do a pre-emptive strike. I have just ordered 

image.png.f7bc372d0d11e035420c7f50382fb017.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, aerofurb said:

I had a similar issue with my Yeti KESSY start/stop button a couple of times over the 7 years and 90k miles I had the car.

I didn't need to dismantle anything apart from carefully prising the chrome ring out from around the start/stop button then giving a good spray of electrical cleaner in where the ring sits. Worked a treat and a 5 minute job. 

Genuinely surprised that made any difference as the contacts are all under a silicone cover.

1 hour ago, DBT85 said:

Genuinely surprised that made any difference as the contacts are all under a silicone cover.

It certainly worked on the Yeti (2014) - perhaps it was a different type of switch. The Yeti wasn't a touch and forget 'start' function, you held the button in to engage the starter motor.  

Initially I thought I'd have to do a deep strip to access it but I tried the easy option as I described and it worked fine. It's not until it returns to normal after spraying that you realise how you've been pressing harder and harder or pressing in a different way to get it to start.

On 16/05/2021 at 12:48, whitevx said:

Random question, the + symbol you have on each rear quater panel/ C pillar. Could you explain that for me please.

Sorry for the late reply.

That's only a decoration, so basically it is nothing. I feel the C pillar is a little bit too wide and a little bit boring for my taste.

• Like 1

On 26/05/2021 at 13:35, Colin170CR said:

Think I'll do a pre-emptive strike. I have just ordered 

image.png.f7bc372d0d11e035420c7f50382fb017.png

This stuff is amazing. I sold both mine & my wife's car privately before purchasing my Superb, she had an old Peugeot 107, which are notoriously bad for corroding contacts, due to water ingress through many poor seals. I was on the cusp of someone coming to view the car, when the indicator stalk developed a known issue due to corroded contacts in the mechanism. A couple of blasts with this stuff, and a wiggle of the stalk and the issue seemed to be resolved.

I'll keep the can to one side for now, incase my stop/start develops a similar issue to DBT85, unless of course, they're right in that the switch needs dismantling to clean, due to silicone covers etc.

Made a few purchases from Kopacek, roll on some nice weather so I can clean both inside and out. 

FC0CF12B-BE59-48F1-ABBB-20F53D0B14D1.jpeg

66D85937-F2C3-452C-852A-565619A8AD0C.jpeg

AFE8208C-4715-4F4C-BA7B-E6D413C398E2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

3 hours ago, MICKSVRS said:

Kopacek have a 20% off sale from today until Monday!

I've bought from SuperSkoda in the past and been happy with the service and 20% off looks good, however, import duties / vat / other taxes, that might / might not be applied at the door are currently putting me off...........

I replaced my old tires Continental EcoContact3 and bought Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance 2 and what a difference! Comfort and Quietness was two dissapointments with my car, now it is finally superb level. Only air whistle at very high speeds remains as only downside, but i can live with that.

On 28/05/2021 at 17:22, Berisford said:

I've bought from SuperSkoda in the past and been happy with the service and 20% off looks good, however, import duties / vat / other taxes, that might / might not be applied at the door are currently putting me off...........

Mick's in Ireland. Actually as a uk resident, what you need is a family member that happens to live in Ireland (europe) within a short drive of a hermes dropoff shop across the Northern Irish border. Allegedly.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, AlVal said:

Mick's in Ireland. Actually as a uk resident, what you need is a family member that happens to live in Ireland (europe) within a short drive of a hermes dropoff shop across the Northern Irish border. Allegedly.

So it seems....after seeing on the UK Gov site that anything under £135 is not a problem I looked at ordering from SuperSkoda, rubber mats and a set of mudflaps.

Good price compared to UK dealers, especially with the extra 20% off. 

However, seems the rubber mats are too heavy for SS to send to the UK so I removed 'em and left just the flaps in the basket - amazingly they want 25€ for delivery plus some other fee taking the price for a set of flaps from 22€ to 48€.

No sale here.

On 28/05/2021 at 22:44, LukasK said:

I replaced my old tires Continental EcoContact3 and bought Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance 2 and what a difference! Comfort and Quietness was two dissapointments with my car, now it is finally superb level. Only air whistle at very high speeds remains as only downside, but i can live with that.

Also thinking of getting those Goodyear's as the reviews say they are very quiet. Good to hear this is backed up by your experience.

23 hours ago, Berisford said:

So it seems....after seeing on the UK Gov site that anything under £135 is not a problem I looked at ordering from SuperSkoda, rubber mats and a set of mudflaps.

Good price compared to UK dealers, especially with the extra 20% off. 

However, seems the rubber mats are too heavy for SS to send to the UK so I removed 'em and left just the flaps in the basket - amazingly they want 25€ for delivery plus some other fee taking the price for a set of flaps from 22€ to 48€.

No sale here.

Ouch. Standard delivery is €15. 

It takes exactly one week from order date to arriving on my doorstep. 

4 hours ago, Chazzy said:

Decent wash and coat of Autoglym SRP using a dual action polisher. Not neccessarily better but less arm ache and better coverage. 

20210604_173128.jpg

Good job but it’s crying out for some tyre shine!

• Thanks 1

Thanks! I tried some bike spray- a silicon spray. Worked on the black plastic bit just disappeared from the tyres.  For me buying tyre black always reeked of dodgy 80's car dealers.