What have you done to your Superb III today?

1 hour ago, Graham Butcher said:

I think you must have a problem or you go over speed bumps really slow, I don't such issues with my DSG at all. 

I do go over them very slow as these are massive speed bumps covered in potholes! Also, the car does kangaroo sometimes. I tried a few times to reset gearbox but it didn't make any significant changes to the way it changes the gear. It is good to know that it might be my car that does it.

I hate it so much, even thinking of changing the car, I very much like a Superb but so afraid to get another DSG like mine, even thinking of getting a Lexus ES (also lots of space at the back) or Toyota Corolla Touring. I am having a test drive of Superb iV on Saturday. Apart from possibility of having a dodgy DSG a slow charging time putting me off, but still want to try it.

2 minutes ago, Vlady said:

I do go over them very slow as these are massive speed bumps covered in potholes! Also, the car does kangaroo sometimes. I tried a few times to reset gearbox but it didn't make any significant changes to the way it changes the gear. It is good to know that it might be my car that does it.

I hate it so much, even thinking of changing the car, I very much like a Superb but so afraid to get another DSG like mine, even thinking of getting a Lexus ES (also lots of space at the back) or Toyota Corolla Touring. I am having a test drive of Superb iV on Saturday. Apart from possibility of having a dodgy DSG a slow charging time putting me off, but still want to try it.

Did you buy the car new?

I would suggest to others looking at buying a DSg second hand that when driving the car before purchase .

The only indication of the car changing gear should be engine tone and rev counter changes if you noticeable "feel" it, walk away.

1 minute ago, Stonekeeper said:

Did you buy the car new?

I would suggest to others looking at buying a DSg second hand that when driving the car before purchase .

The only indication of the car changing gear should be engine tone and rev counter changes if you noticeable "feel" it, walk away.

100% agree, in fact at low speed I quite often miss a gear change or two, as in don't realise it has changed.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Stonekeeper said:

Did you buy the car new?

No, I bought it almost 2 years (June) ago, I didn't really notice that during test drive, as I said, it happens when going over bad big speed bumps and in every day driving it is usually ok. I took it to Skoda to check it but they said everything is fine (not surprise there, huh), gearbox reset did not help either.

It drives me nuts when it stick to 1st gear, you either need to rev it (accelerate) harder than is needed only to slow down before the turn or just crawl on 1st gear for 20-30 meters until car decides to change to a 2nd gear. 

The mileage on the car was under 6k miles when I bought, now it has 27k miles and it still does it as it was 2 (almost) years ago.

Only now, I can get out of PCP and hopefully get another car with decent gearbox, thus why I mentioned the cars above.

On top of that I started to have a noise from the front, which is not constant like when you drive over potholes, it only can be heard when you go onto speed bump or from speed bump, like a clunking noise. Oh God, me and the speed bumps! :) 

May be the car tells me to sell it! :)

Otherwise I am happy with Skoda, reliable, cheap to insure, cheap parts.

Wanted to upcycle the old mat from the Volvo boot.

Added some carpet and some contact adhesive. A small strip of stainless steel and a couple of bolts.....

Threw it into the boot, went for a spirited drive and this happened. 

20240321_130332.thumb.jpg.15f5f2a2ed353cd099be8670d76e0a56.jpg 

Wanted to protect the (dirty) bumper.

20240321_130342.thumb.jpg.dc89ee6510e6ab3b028040b4bdac7e56.jpg

Happy with that for no cost.  

• Like 3

On 20/03/2024 at 15:33, petrolcan said:

Did a 30 mile trip, switched it off an on again and I have ACC & Front Assist all working again.

To say I'm a happy b*gger would be an understatement

Absolutely brilliant - well done! 👍🏻

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Colin170CR said:

My one & only experience with a CVT was in a DAF 66 Variomatic back in the late '70's. Horrible experience.

We had a few CVT equipped demo Fiestas in the early ‘90’s. It was a disconcerting experience initially, but I found it was a good system and, of course, no torque latency. I know Toyota and Honda use CVT, which are for more advanced now, in a number of their models. 

• Like 2

Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you call CVT. I may have 1or 2 lettres, but I can't manage to get the complete acronym... 🤔

TIA

Edited by Bap33

There was an episode of Bangers & Cash (a UK TV series about the Mathewson's classic car auction company in Yorkshire) where they had a DAF 66 with CVT up for sale. The narrator / presenter of the programme asked Derek, Dave & Paul Matthewson how the DAF 66 CVT worked & none of them could explain it properly so that the narrator was none the wiser. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=Mathewsons+Daf+66+episode&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB903GB928&oq=Mathewsons+Daf+66+episode&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQIRigATIHCAIQIRigAdIBCjE4NzQwajBqMTWoAgCwAgA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#vhid=3fDy2X4ZGHNIQM&vssid=videos-dfd183b3  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

There was an episode of Bangers & Cash (a UK TV series about the Mathewson's classic car auction company in Yorkshire) where they had a DAF 66 with CVT up for sale. The narrator / presenter of the programme asked Derek, Dave & Paul Matthewson how the DAF 66 CVT worked & none of them could explain it properly so that the narrator was none the wiser. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=Mathewsons+Daf+66+episode&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB903GB928&oq=Mathewsons+Daf+66+episode&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQIRigATIHCAIQIRigAdIBCjE4NzQwajBqMTWoAgCwAgA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#vhid=3fDy2X4ZGHNIQM&vssid=videos-dfd183b3  

It seems there were two episodes featuring DAF's with CVT & the above link was not the one I was thinking of.

This one is. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=Mathewsons+Daf+episode&sca_esv=7205f6bcc2c46b97&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB903GB928&biw=1280&bih=632&tbm=vid&ei=O0P9ZdPCCYewhbIPkfCrgAk&ved=0ahUKEwiTzPXYu4eFAxUHWEEAHRH4CpAQ4dUDCA0&uact=5&oq=Mathewsons+Daf+episode&gs_lp=Eg1nd3Mtd2l6LXZpZGVvIhZNYXRoZXdzb25zIERhZiBlcGlzb2RlMgoQIRgKGKABGMMEMgQQIRgVSIYhUOIEWNYKcAB4AJABAJgBmwGgAYkEqgEDMy4yuAEDyAEA-AEBmAIFoAKaBMICCBAAGIkFGKIEwgIIEAAYgAQYogSYAwCIBgGSBwMzLjKgB-oM&sclient=gws-wiz-video#vhid=D06GNAwtQ_7HqM&vssid=videos-0dc328be

• Like 1

so the car I've test driven is now veto'd by the wife. Fair enough, no-one seems to be wise as to potential cost, and though there's a warranty for 2 years on it, the costs could exceed the 12k limit they place. So that's a no.

Another one found closer to home, but it's pre-FL, and with slightly fewer toys (but nothing meaningful is missing); it's lower mileage but hasn't had the cambelt done yet. <sigh>. Will be going to take a look at that next week, as they're not open over the weekend and it's at - to put it politely - the arse end of nowhere (i.e. far away from everything else), It's a 2 hour drive from here, and we're 400km north of Helsinki....weird driving here again after the style difference between BeNeLux and Germany over teh last couple of days.

Failed to start my own car this morning in the shopping centre, though - i forgot to put my foot on the clutch, just on the brake... been driving too many automatics recently...

• Like 2

Fair run back from SW Scotland to NE England, mostly cruising at the legal A road limits - some spells a bit lower following traffic and for villages/ City bypasses but also some short full throttle overtaking bursts. Screen shot after two and a bit hours in : confirming the potential full tank range of over 1000 miles :2litre diesel, 150 FA9B5549-15D7-4DB6-806D-A4D2203303F6.thumb.jpeg.81f5c545f5e977abe40b08082e97dc38.jpegDSRA evo motor.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Shuggyboatsuperb said:

Fair run back from SW Scotland to NE England, mostly cruising at the legal A road limits - some spells a bit lower following traffic and for villages/ City bypasses but also some short full throttle overtaking bursts. Screen shot after two and a bit hours in : confirming the potential full tank range of over 1000 miles :2litre diesel, 150 FA9B5549-15D7-4DB6-806D-A4D2203303F6.thumb.jpeg.81f5c545f5e977abe40b08082e97dc38.jpegDSRA evo motor.

Nice figures.

I do miss the days of 68-70mpg fuel consumption in my old 2.0CR170 Superb Elegance estate. I'm lucky now if I get 36-38mpg on a run & 26mpg around town. That said, I don't do high mileages any more so the mpg numbers aren't really an issue for me these days. I've only filled once this year since Christmas because we tend to use my wife's EV for most of the local trips. Mine only get used when we go a a trip longer than the EV can manage or, I do a dump run or, I need to remind myself how quick the 280 is 🤫    

• Like 2

On 21/03/2024 at 09:38, Colin170CR said:

My one & only experience with a CVT was in a DAF 66 Variomatic back in the late '70's. Horrible experience.

I much prefer a torque converter or DSG. No issues with my Superb DSG. However, I did have a few issues with our ex-Karoq 1.5 DSG 4 x 4. Monumental hesitation between pressing the pedal & any forward motion. I fitted a Race Chip Throttle pedal which improved the response but there was still a bit of hesitation which I think was caused by the fix that VAG applied to cure the kangarooing problem they had with early 1.5 engines.

No such problems with our Kona EV - only 1 speed. Press (gently or you will spin the front tyres) & go.   

This is just a story, prompted by the above but of no real relevence to anything much - apart from me there is probably nobody left alive who knows it, so this is my opportunity to pass it on. Take it or leave it.

Many, many years ago my grandad had a small car, a Wolseley or perhaps a Riley 1.5, and my dad decided to buy him a brand new Daf variomatic to replace it. I can only assume that he thought an automatic would be easier in what were his later years, but that any other automatics were expensive executive stuff at that time. They settled on a bright yellow one, for some inexplicable reason.

One cold morning grandad decided to take the car out, went into his garage (timber, with a pair of side-hinged doors) pulled the doors to behind him, got into the car, started the engine and busied himself with demisting the windscreen with a chammie while the engine warmed up. It seems the carbon monoxide got to him and he collapsed, knocking the CVT into reverse as he slumped. The car pushed the garage doors open, trundled across the lane and drove over the edge of the pier into the River Tay. Fortunately the tide was out, so a passerby was able to notice the car lying (the right way up, almost unbelievably) on the temporarily dry river bed about ten feet down, and call 999 - the choice of bright yellow turned out to have been an inspired move after all.

Grandad was rescued, and made a full recovery, but that turned out to be the end of his driving career!

Just goes to show that an auto isn't always best.

• Sad 4

It sounds like the auto saved his life so definitely best for him.

Was he in the car on the river bed or pushed out into the garage?

In either case the car opening the doors saved him.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, J.R. said:

It sounds like the auto saved his life so definitely best for him.

Was he in the car on the river bed or pushed out into the garage?

In either case the car opening the doors saved him.

You're right - I hadn't looked at it that way. 

He was still in the car on the river bed, with granny still in the house oblivious to all of this. Either way the car was trying to kill him - the engine tried to gas him, but was foiled by the gearbox trying to drown him instead! Shows what a fine invention the catalytic converter is, though.

well, i've preliminarily agreed a deal to swap it for another one. With far fewer miles and better kit. Tuesday to get the hifi out and then hopefully Wed / Thu we can complete the deal...then the new one goes for cambelt and probably an oil change and a look-over.

• Like 2

Took the wheels off for a proper clean as I’ve never done it and too late in some places, which is a bit annoying

Only done one side (front and back)

I used Bilt Hamber Auto Wheels, then Bilt Hamber claybar then finished with Chemical Guys wheel guard

IMG_0330.thumb.jpeg.bb6d4688e9385a7f9c3bc00f732a8a4b.jpeg

IMG_0333.thumb.jpeg.b1ef0adcd4bdc6519f484b079c28583d.jpeg

IMG_0337.thumb.jpeg.0667b37001c92662f9efd3e7aeec574a.jpeg

IMG_0338.thumb.jpeg.5298dd47cdcba3041c26f1aa17d06398.jpeg

Good enough for me though and onto front and back driver side tomorrow 

and yes too lazy to do behind the spokes as it’s incredibly baked on

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Danoid said:

Took the wheels off for a proper clean as I’ve never done it and too late in some places, which is a bit annoying

Only done one side (front and back)

I used Bilt Hamber Auto Wheels, then Bilt Hamber claybar then finished with Chemical Guys wheel guard

IMG_0330.thumb.jpeg.bb6d4688e9385a7f9c3bc00f732a8a4b.jpeg

IMG_0333.thumb.jpeg.b1ef0adcd4bdc6519f484b079c28583d.jpeg

IMG_0337.thumb.jpeg.0667b37001c92662f9efd3e7aeec574a.jpeg

IMG_0338.thumb.jpeg.5298dd47cdcba3041c26f1aa17d06398.jpeg

Good enough for me though and onto front and back driver side tomorrow 

and yes too lazy to do behind the spokes as it’s incredibly baked on

Nice.

This reminds me that I need to clean up & paint my rusty wheel hubs which, once I get the wheels off to do it, will no doubt lead me to do exactly the same to the inside of my wheels. That said they probably won't be as bad as yours because I had my Trinity alloys powder coated black 18 months ago so they should be better shape. Waiting for warmer & dryer weather though. 

23 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

Nice.

This reminds me that I need to clean up & paint my rusty wheel hubs which, once I get the wheels off to do it, will no doubt lead me to do exactly the same to the inside of my wheels. That said they probably won't be as bad as yours because I had my Trinity alloys powder coated black 18 months ago so they should be better shape. Waiting for warmer & dryer weather though. 

I think me cleaning them like that is the best they’ve ever had from 2016, so you’re should be much better

Annoyingly the face of mine is diamond cut, otherwise I’d probably just get them refurbed.

The front of my front passenger wheel is a bit a bit grim, it didn’t look too bad when it was dirty but after cleaning it today you can see the marks on it

IMG_0334.thumb.jpeg.2f504ce359a679366767b5433365b113.jpeg

I don’t think I’ve ever kerbed them so either always been like that or just getting worse as time goes on

Edited by Danoid

Concrete acid sprayed on while wearing gloves and a mask will sort the rear of the wheels. Spray on and start agitating straight away with a detailing brush. Rinse off straight away and turn and rinse opposite side of rim as well. Then wash as usual with wheel cleaner and rinse well again. 
don’t let the acid dry on the rim, same as any wheel cleaner. 

27 minutes ago, Danoid said:

I think me cleaning them like that is the best they’ve ever had from 2016, so you’re should be much better

Annoyingly the face of mine is diamond cut, otherwise I’d probably just get them refurbed.

The front of my front passenger wheel is a bit a bit grim, it didn’t look too bad when it was dirty but after cleaning it today you can see the marks on it

IMG_0334.thumb.jpeg.2f504ce359a679366767b5433365b113.jpeg

I don’t think I’ve ever kerbed them so either always been like that or just getting worse as time goes on

My Trinity alloys were also diamond cut & I had have them refurbed a couple of times over the years. In the end I decided that powder coating them black to match the body colour offered better protection, gave the car a meaner look, & hides the road grime & brake dust. At £60+vat per wheel it was also cheaper than having them traditionally refurbed & diamond cut.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colin170CR said:

My Trinity alloys were also diamond cut & I had have them refurbed a couple of times over the years. In the end I decided that powder coating them black to match the body colour offered better protection, gave the car a meaner look, & hides the road grime & brake dust. At £60+vat per wheel it was also cheaper than having them traditionally refurbed & diamond cut.  

Was it you that recommended MaxPowder in Abbots Langley?

Edited by petrolcan
speeling :)