Are you happy with your Karoq

Peachysheff

I remembered one thing I would definitely change, the location of the pen holder clip in the glove box, it is on the nearside side, on my Yetis it was on the offside side, and could be reached easily from the drivers seat, (obviously not when driving!) Other than that, still happy.

Bought the wife 1.5Tsi manual SEL and she still loves it after 9 months and 9,500 miles. 9 out of 10 purely because occasional kangaroo in 1st gear particularly when engine is cold. Good value spec/price ratio considering it was £4,500 less than my 245.:biggrin:

On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 20:01, Marchincus said:

Hi

How do you set the heated windscreen to come on automatically when cold?

Go into the air-con settings (button in console) and there is a check box for automatic screen heating. IIRC it was set on by default but I had disabled that over the summer.

• Thanks 1

I collected my 1.5 TSi SEL DSG in July,  I'm still very happy with it.  It's definitely the best car I have owned, although it is not better in every way than my old 2.0 TDI AWD Ford Kuga.

The engine is great.  The specifications for the 1.5 petrol were one of the things that first got my attention.  It's plenty quick enough for me and it manages better than 10% more MPG than the Kuga.  Someone said they didn't like the noise it makes over about 4000rpm, but it sounds fine to me.  Overall, it certainly sounds better than the old diesel.  To start with, I missed the extra torque, but I quickly got used to how it wants to be driven.

The gear box is a good match.  I test drove a manual 1.5 and liked it (didn't see the kangaroo effect) but overall I am pleased I chose the DSG - it is worth the money to me, especially with a stop-start drive to work and with ACC.

I like the cabin - it is better than most of the alternatives I looked at and the Infotainment is great.  Most of it is will thought out.  The thumbwheels on the sterring wheel work very well.  I cycled through all the available driving data and though I wasn't very interested in half of them, so was pleased to find they can be individually disabled.

The outside is a bit boring.  I like the petrol blue and there is nothing to actively dislike about the shape, but the Kuga was more stylish.  The 3008 wins here.  I rejected it due to no passenger lumbar support and didn't really like the almost total absence of knobs - I don't want to do almost everything through the touch screen.  I like the second knob on the Amundsen and use it quite often.

Heated seats work well.  Ideally I'd like to be able to configure heat to back only and would like a setting between 1 and 2.

Options:

• Traffic sign recognition - cheap, but unsurprisingly misses signs too often to use it for alerts.  Useful information a lot of the time.
  • Electric seats - work as expected.  Chose them primarily because the lumbar support was better than standard seats and also to be sure of returning to the same position.  I wouldn't have chosen LED lighting, but I like it, at least in blue.  A lot of other colours look odd in the display screens - it would be good to be able to have a different colour for the main lighting and displays.  Expensive, but comfort is very important.
  • Canton - for me essential.  I found the standard system powerful but too harsh and not musical enough.  The Canton isn't perfect, but it's the difference between being annoyed with the sound and enjoying it - audio is a very personal preference and YMMV.
  • ACC - works well, but I it brakes more than I feel is strictly needed given I have a larger gap configured and I don't like the lower mpg.  I keep changing my mind about whether I would buy it again.

Regrets: none really; maybe I should have added the heated front screen.

I have no serious complaints but a few minor gripes.

• The Kuga had a very small pocket with a rubber lining higher up each door, which was very useful for easy access to coins, pills and other small things.  I still miss them.
  • To get the seat as high as I want it, I need to be careful about avoiding hitting the door frame with my head getting in and out.  The extra 4 inches of height on the Kuga helped, although that has disadvantages and the Karoq may be about right for most people.
  • The boot has a reasonable amount of space, but the wheel arches intrude.  The Kuga was exactly the same exterior width but had more usable interior width, which helped packing for a longer holiday.
  • I wish I could have deleted the trays on the back of the seats - and the pockets are quite small.  I guess few people carry road atlases these days.
  • Rear seats are comfortable but leg room could be better .. I guess it isn't practical to allow them to slide further back and have the boot cover move with them.

Things that are a bit annoying.

• You can set the volume for traffic announcements, but if the current volume is higher it ignores it.  I can have the volume set high to listen to something quiet and be deafened by a distorted traffic announcement.
  • Reflection of chrome in the side mirror occasionally annoys me, but I don't notice it as often as I used to.
  • As discussed in another thread, long-term driving data spontaneously reset.  I have also seen glitches with bits of infotainment a few times that sorted themselves after switch off and on.
  • Five times, the car has braked itself while reversing slowly into the garage, close to dead centre.  I have also had front assist kick in a couple of times when it didn't seem to be necessary (plus once when it was - I had started to brake but appreciated the assistance)
  • Like 1

The good first. Infotainment, all elestronic, and driving aids its ok. 

Tha bad. Much more dull steering input and drive than my old yeti. Flexing panels in doors, isolation material falling from the footwell on the drivers and passanger side. Ratteling from speed dials area, ratteling from headrest back in the car, ratteling from armrest and under the passenger seat. Missing paint in the door hinges area. Strange clicking plastic sound like from the door hinges. The worst a huge panel gap on the passanger side door make the door hang lover than the back door.My old 2014 yeti made less noise after 72000 km than my new 1000 km Karoq. Going back to the dealer this week for fixes but if this continues this car will not be very old in my garage. I miss my yeti big time...... 

Edited by Max48

On 30/10/2018 at 00:54, Marchincus said:

I am very happy with mine and seem to find something else it can do every day.  I have a 1.5TSI Edition manual and the drive is lovely as it seems to float and I'm cocooned inside with good music playing.  Luckily no kangarooing although first gear revs very quickly but used to that now. I do feel it is the best car I have ever had by far.

When did you get your car?

Love mine (apart from the 1.5tsi manual kanagaroo issue which really does spoil an otherwise really nice car) This is my 3rd Skoda and 1st problem. Not happy with the resistance being experienced from Skoda.

No formal acceptance that an issue exists despite the numbers involved. 

I picked my SE L 1.5 DSG up Saturday morning and have driven it around quite a bit this weekend. 

I went for a few extras; Adaptive Cruse Control, Heated Steering Wheel, Park Assist, Canton Sound and decorative inserts just to spice it up. I have also fitted mudflaps. 

I actually really like the SatNav. It’s really growing on me. My favourite feature is the ACC for sure, I’ve sat with it in heavy traffic and it is brilliant. I do a lot of long drives to and from London so this is a real revelation for me. Also love the Auto lights and auto whipers. 

The ride feels incredibly smooth and car feels much better isolated from road noise than my 2016 Yeti, looking forward to seeing how it does on the M25. 

Canton sound system is fun. I didn't go for this feature originally but when Skoda pulled the 19” Craters from all but the 4x4s I went for this instead. It takes a bit of tweaking but it’s a good sounding system and packs a punch. 

Although I’d obviously seen the Karoq before, I think what almost surprised me was just how luxurious it feels on the whole, especially the interior. I absolutely love it!! It is, without a doubt, the best car I’ve ever driven. If my other half would let me sleep in it, I totally would. 

• Like 2

Picked our 2.0 tdi Edition 4x4 on launch day and it's now done almost 10,000 miles. Don't particularly like the 19" alloys and think it's daft that you can't specify 18".  Never had problems with kerbing 18's but now have 3 damaged 19's :crying:  Didn't specify heated front screen as the car lived in the garage but we've now moved and don't have a garage :crying:. Thought the idea of a heated steering wheel was a bit naff but then bought an Octy Scout 184DSG and think the heated steering wheel is brilliant :crying:. Apart from that the car is great, really comfy on a long drive, reasonably economical and despite a lot of threads to the contrary regards the seat trays, the Grand Kids love them. Boots not huge but ample for all of our shopping and holiday wise we tend to take short breaks so space is never a problem. Had 2 x Yeti's prior to the Karoq and although I loved them, I do think the Karoq is a better all round car. Me and the missus are both retired so these days if we want to carry loads of stuff we take the Octy Scout and if we want to ride out in comfort we take the Karoq :biggrin:

• Like 3

Hi everyone,

Second day with my Karoq is almost done. I'm still excited about the car: enough space for everything, lots of places to put the stuf, nice interior, good quality materials, great visibility and realy comfortable drive around the city, so far good fuel economy, good sound isolation, nice corner lights function, good manouvering performace ( I can turn around in much smaller space rather with my old car). Nicely working cruise control, adaptive lights, etc.

Anyway, today noticed couple, minor, but still isues:

1. Front lamps contains some condensate inside and looks foggy (it's +3°C, a bit cold, but it never happened for my old Mazda which was also brand new). So it's weird, will give it some time and check again, but if it won't dissapear I'll contact my dealer, still hope that is just temporal issue.

2. Cup holders are too small for 2 L size cups from the gas station.

3. As it is my first car with automatic transmission, I'm still not getting how to act with accelarator, should I press it constantly while speeding up, or just press it, wait, quickly release it and press it again when the gear changes? (HELP:)

Overall it's very nice car, just need to get use to it, and stop being afraid of being around stupidly acticng drivers (as it's so new, I'm feeling a bit nervous, when other drivers do something unpredictable:) 

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 20:16, fidelio said:

When did you get your car?

Sorry late replying - I got it in late May. It seems to keep getting better and better as a drive and just feels so together and comfortable. I changed wheels to 17" Triton with Michelin CrossClimate tyres today and immediately quieter than the 19"  Bridgestones and after a short drive I don't notice any handling differences so far.

Video not much help. I registered and got connected. Nothing interesting on smartphone though. Neighbour came over later and pointed out that the hazard lights were flashing continuously. You need to renew the Connect contract after a year at a cost of £50+. Won't be bothering.

Had the car a couple of months and still find the infotainment system confusing. Putting a waypoint in a route more complicated than my old Garmin satnav.

Doesn't seem to be a menu showing the complete route with turning points. Deleting old destinations? It's there somewhere 'cos I managed it once.

Despite some voice recognition there's still a lot of button pressing required on the infotainment screen.

Voice recognition often gets it wrong, unlike that on my old 2005 Citroen C5-Exclusive. (Sadly missed- it's gone to be a taxi oop North).

Tapped one of those little paddle switches by the wheel and it locked down into screaming low gear with no apparent means of unlocking until I stopped, switched off and started up again.

Confusing lights system. Never had daytime running lights previously and surprised to find that they're only on the front. Must be the reason so many are driving about at dusk without rear lights.

More confusion with choices on the light switch. Both front foglights on at one setting but only the offside on another.

Only one rear foglight. That's penny pinching.  Car is SE-L, maybe the top version has two.

Cannot hardwire dashcams as it's not allowed by lease company. Have to unplug them each time as sockets are permanently live and will flatten battery if left connected.

I've just put an adhesive label 'DASHCAM' on trim near door.

Hopefully will remind me. Neat bit of kit- Brother P-Touch Labelmaker from Aldi.

Very little is live without the engine running.  It's necessary to be out on the road driving the car to learn and practice the clever 'smart' systems.

Safety features they say. Quite unnerving to have a red warning and something grab at the brakes 'cos some idiot slotted into the gap ahead.

I've been driving long enough to always know what's behind me and be able to stop in the distance I can see to be clear.

Apart from that it's a nice car. Economical, reasonably comfortable, easy access. Characterless. That's ok, just need reliability, starts and stops when it should.

Tapped one of those little paddle switches by the wheel and it locked down into screaming low gear with no apparent means of unlocking until I stopped, switched off and started up again.

You must have used the left paddle, which changes down a gear. To change up its the right paddle. Pull and hold the right paddle to get back to "auto" again.

Its all in the manual.

37 minutes ago, OldKaroq said:

You must have used the left paddle, which changes down a gear. To change up its the right paddle. Pull and hold the right paddle to get back to "auto" again.

Its all in the manual.

Or pull back the gear lever to put back into auto mode. This also toggles the gearbox between normal/eco setting and sport setting when in auto mode.

Edited by Luckypants

1 hour ago, DaveWK said:

Video not much help. I registered and got connected. Nothing interesting on smartphone though. Neighbour came over later and pointed out that the hazard lights were flashing continuously. You need to renew the Connect contract after a year at a cost of £50+. Won't be bothering.

Had the car a couple of months and still find the infotainment system confusing. Putting a waypoint in a route more complicated than my old Garmin satnav.

Doesn't seem to be a menu showing the complete route with turning points. Deleting old destinations? It's there somewhere 'cos I managed it once.

Despite some voice recognition there's still a lot of button pressing required on the infotainment screen.

Voice recognition often gets it wrong, unlike that on my old 2005 Citroen C5-Exclusive. (Sadly missed- it's gone to be a taxi oop North).

Confusing lights system. Never had daytime running lights previously and surprised to find that they're only on the front. Must be the reason so many are driving about at dusk without rear lights.

More confusion with choices on the light switch. Both front foglights on at one setting but only the offside on another.

Only one rear foglight. That's penny pinching.  Car is SE-L, maybe the top version has two.

Cannot hardwire dashcams as it's not allowed by lease company. Have to unplug them each time as sockets are permanently live and will flatten battery if left connected.

I've just put an adhesive label 'DASHCAM' on trim near door.

Hopefully will remind me. Neat bit of kit- Brother P-Touch Labelmaker from Aldi.

Very little is live without the engine running.  It's necessary to be out on the road driving the car to learn and practice the clever 'smart' systems.

Safety features they say. Quite unnerving to have a red warning and something grab at the brakes 'cos some idiot slotted into the gap ahead.

I've been driving long enough to always know what's behind me and be able to stop in the distance I can see to be clear.

Apart from that it's a nice car. Economical, reasonably comfortable, easy access. Characterless. That's ok, just need reliability, starts and stops when it should.

Hi Dave, I've had my Karoq 1.5 DSG SE-Tech since March and it's done 5k+ miles. It's mostly local mileage with the occasional longer journey and when the engine has reached a decent temperature it returns about 45mpg. So all is good, it drives well, it's very quiet & I can't  really find fault with the car. But now I just think it's, well....Bland & lacks character. I've got  16 months to run on a PCH deal and 

have no idea what my next car will be, just have to see what the next few months bring. Some Karoq owners will reckon I'm just being fussy but so be it. Does anyone feel the same?

Hi Dave, I've had my Karoq 1.5 DSG SE-Tech since March and it's done 5k+ miles. It's mostly local mileage with the occasional longer journey and when the engine has reached a decent temperature it returns about 45mpg. So all is good, it drives well, it's very quiet & I can't  really find fault with the car. But now I just think it's, well....Bland & lacks character. I've got  16 months to run on a PCH deal and 

have no idea what my next car will be, just have to see what the next few months bring. Some Karoq owners will reckon I'm just being fussy but so be it. Does anyone feel the same?

I see where you are coming from, and agree for the most part. Mine is not on a PCH, and there is not enough "wrong" to make me want to change.

Just the opposite, what it does it does well. This is my first DSG and I like the engine/DSG combo on the Karoq. Its no racing car, but its quite spirited and just wants to get going. Thats sort of its character. With regard to bland IMO the looks of the Karoq are perfect for my conservative tastes - if I wanted bling I would buy French! 

My biggest criticism is the seats in the SE L - the Alcantara seats give me a numb bum on long journeys - anything over 100miles Im glad to get out and stretch my legs. I don't do much long distancing, so that's ok. I have had years of leather seats and whilst comfortable I find them  too hot in Summer, too cold in Winter.

I have had a 1.5 DSG SEL for about 6 weeks.  I seems to me a very nice car which suits me well. My one issue is the drivers seat - it is really uncomfortable.  The problem is the the front of the seat does not tilt up or down and the default position is too high for someone as shortish as I am.  I had test driven the version with the electronic seat (which does have tilt on the seat base) and it was very comfortable. So anybody thinking about buying the Karoq should think about the electronic seat option. I have now added a wedge cushion to the seat which has improved matters.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We've had our 2.0 TDI 4X4 SE since early January (first private buy on the road apparently) and after 10K miles could not be happier. Best family car we have ever had and the engine has loosened up beutifully to give really stonking performance and near 50 MPG on a run.

I can find nothing to criticise, in fact I'm thinking of replacing my A3 Sportsback with a Karoq 1.5 TSI SE-L next month.

7 hours ago, COYIWELLS said:

I have had a 1.5 DSG SEL for about 6 weeks.  I seems to me a very nice car which suits me well. My one issue is the drivers seat - it is really uncomfortable.  The problem is the the front of the seat does not tilt up or down and the default position is too high for someone as shortish as I am.  I had test driven the version with the electronic seat (which does have tilt on the seat base) and it was very comfortable. So anybody thinking about buying the Karoq should think about the electronic seat option. I have now added a wedge cushion to the seat which has improved matters.

Same problem for me. 

I changed the seat bolts at the rear for longer ones and lifted up the rear of the seat frame. I did this on my Yeti too. Only takes few minutes

Edited by 33q
Spelling

On 04/11/2018 at 23:11, Max48 said:

The good first. Infotainment, all elestronic, and driving aids its ok. 

Tha bad. Much more dull steering input and drive than my old yeti. Flexing panels in doors, isolation material falling from the footwell on the drivers and passanger side. Ratteling from speed dials area, ratteling from headrest back in the car, ratteling from armrest and under the passenger seat. Missing paint in the door hinges area. Strange clicking plastic sound like from the door hinges. The worst a huge panel gap on the passanger side door make the door hang lover than the back door.My old 2014 yeti made less noise after 72000 km than my new 1000 km Karoq. Going back to the dealer this week for fixes but if this continues this car will not be very old in my garage. I miss my yeti big time...... 

Hi,

Our Yeti is three years old next April and we normally trade in at this age; we've owned a Skoda Fabia Monte and now the Yeti SEL 2.0L from new; we love our Yeti but we worry about long term ownership when out of warranty as with any modern mission control cars with so many electronics to eventually go wrong. We're not keen on the styling of the new Karoq it looking like most cars in its class; if we trade the Yeti in will we be making a big mistake? Why Skoda discontinued making the Yeti puzzles us because we would definitely have bought another new Yeti. The only gripe is is the automatic stop/start with the Yeti which gets switched off for every journey; can this be switched off on the Karoq? 

Skoda are mean with their warranty period of three years; don't Skoda have faith in their own product?  Our friends traded their Fabia in against an Hyundai this having a much longer warranty.

What I dilemma and to quote Max would we too miss our Yeti big time?

Kind regards, Colin.

Hi Colin

You could maybe take out the annual warranty that Skoda will offer you shortly? I agree that with sophisticated electronics the repair bill could be pricey. Or if my DSG gearbox packs up. I intend to keep the car for a year after the 3 years warranty. Maybe a further year. I did this on my BMW , it was year 5 that the gearbox went and the warranty paid for itself and then some.

Im the other way round to you - I wouldn't have bought the Yeti, but I agree the Karoq is similar to many cars on the road, however it is subtly different.

Yes the stop/start can be switched off - thank goodness. That said, I forgot where the button was tonight, haven't used it for a while.....

I traded my Kia Sportage in for the Karoq. Yes it had a 7 year warranty but was glad to ditch it after 18 months losing a small fortune. Hated it. Diesel tractor engine. Also it had a creaking sunroof and an auto box with an intermittant fault that never appeared in the service bay....

Also went in a total of 3 times for "updates" and modifications. No more Kia for me!!

The Karoq has been better in almost every respect IMO. Glad to get back to German running gear.

Barry

Edited by OldKaroq
Typo

Hi,

Thanks Barry. Bron and I like our Yeti a great deal in fact we also liked our Fabia.  Thanks also for confirming the stop/start can be switched off which is important to us; I wonder what the flywheel ring gear and starter motor will be like after five years should this function be constantly used? The cruise control though is useful at times and we have a seperate Garmin SatNav plus dash cam used on every journey; the dash cam is like having a police constable in the car watching my own driving as well as the driving of others?

Strange isn't it that Kia has a 7 year warranty; they must rate their product highly; our friends with the Hyundai have a 5 year warranty and they are happy with thier car.  We only have manual trans. One thing we insist on though is a proper spare wheel.

Sorry to hijack this thread but we're retired so it's our own money we use to buy our car and a mistake would possibly mean living with it for three years until trade in time; it might be unfair to dismiss the Karoq on looks alone but first impressions do count; Yeti's are very well liked by owners and have proved to be excellent cars to own over quite a few years; Skoda in general are now a top make but it's just the look of them that makes them look like most cars these days. OK we're picky but at the moment just looking around at our options; I've already obtained carwow quotes and looked at Honest John for a rough trade in value. I liked the look of the new Jeep Wrangler having seen one in a local car park but was amazed by the price and poor reviews?

We might end up paying for two years extended warranty and putting a full set of new tyres on the Yeti early next year; it's certainly not a punisment owning and driving a Yeti.

Gone are the days when a car could be taken apart with an hammer and a few spanners such as the 2CV?

Kind regards, Colin.

Edited by Fabcol
Extension.
  • Like 2