Reversing Camera Retrofit

The Sinosmart camera injects it’s own code. Put the car back to standard, untick all camera options (lowline and VPS) and soft reset radio. If all faults clear, plug the Sinosmart camera back in, soft reset radio and that should sort it.

Thanks @SashaGrace I did as you suggested. Unfortunately, it didn't work :crying:

I reverted back all the changes and did an auto-scan and here is the auto-scan results:

Log-26-07-2021-1.txt

Then I connected the camera and when it didn't work I did another auto-scan and got this:

Log-26-07-2021-2.txt

Then enabled the rear camera in the park assist control and got this:

Log-26-07-2021-3.txt

In the last auto-scan it complains about miss communication and I get an error as below:

error.png.a382d6d97fe2508bddc27ff66ee25fab.png

Edited by Vahids

It scares me the way the Chinese cameras seem to code themselves in and seemingly even mess with the diag comm's from 5F. Sure, the OEM cameras are more expensive but they avoid these issues :D

I don't think I have much to add I'm afraid @Vahids - assuming you've got a scan and adpmaps from before you tested it, my only suggestion would be restoring everything then connecting it. Might be worth contacting the seller too.

Not sure if you know anyone with a HEX-V2 or HEX-NET to find out more detail for some of those errors?

• Thanks 1

OK, some update on this. I figured out what the issue was! As sashaGrace and weyland said, the camera is plug and play really! The issue was the camera does not show the video signal if the boot door is open. So, because the boot door was always open during the installation, it never showed the video signal. So, after I reseted all the previous camera settings it started working (of course when the boot door is close)!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/12/2018 at 13:16, SashaGrace said:

That’s correct, however I would ask how much the lines mean to you? The camera linked above can be coded into the Amundsen HU as can all the cheap RCA plug ones, you just chop the end off and crimp VAG terminal ends on and plug them into the quadlock. I believe the highline camera also has the washer jet to keep it clean which is a good idea, but my camera was £20 and when the correct NTSC one gets here (I’m hoping by the weekend) I’ll detail the install. For now, this is a £8 universal RCA input camera rigged to my car for testing. Much cheapness :D

9D52B09D-D3FF-41B3-A82D-BC1447E940A5.thumb.jpeg.db6daa4a992dbcc2c1223f6e33fca48a.jpeg

I really would like you to send me some info as to how to do the wiring. I bought a cheap AliExpress camera and I don't seem to be able to get image on my amudsen. It is driving me CRAZY. 

• 9 months later...

Thank you all,

I managed to install camera for my 2017 octavia. Working as smooth as told here :)

Local skoda dealer wasnt able to sell me camera when I bought the car so aliexpress saved my day :)

I have one 'silly' question, 

Is there a way to remove that "warning" message at the bottom of view? Its blocking my view to towbar? Also would remove that 'sensor view' by default.

Any ideas? 

Gurus are being called..

@pab567
@sashagrace

Thanks, Daff

IMG_20220508_103448.jpg

• 1 year later...

I have a mk3 octavia 2014. I want to fit a rear camera to original 

1. Is it this one [camera e] ...https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000230897829.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.40694c4dTEPT93

2. I'm confused because it does not say this is for 2014 model.

3. Is the picture quality good 

4. Do I need to get system reprogrammed with VCDS ?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I've just bought a camera to fit to our Octavia Estate (Mk3 facelift) and after reading this thread, beginning to wonder if I need a computer expert to help me getting it to work!  I've got plenty experience of fitting stereo's, cd changers, speakers and amplifiers in previous cars, so trim-prising holds no fears, but seeing things here like "reverse camera in 5F Byte 19 Bit 4" and I crawl under a desk with my hands over my head!  Words like CANBUS don't help either...

The camera is an ATD2514 SKOD4 from ebay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/vod/FetchOrderDetails?itemId=175161616367&transactionId=2555399690007&mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11400.m144671.l152967&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=b80cbeaabf87457e919b3d4b35162be5&bu=43211089509&xt=254362&osub=-1~1&crd=20230914080127&segname=11400), it has two cables - long with yellow rca plugs plus short red leads for reversing bulb connections, the other is for 12v switched / earth supply.

Have I bought the right piece of kit?  It's mainly needed to help reversing up to our caravan hitch.

11 minutes ago, Eddie965 said:

Have I bought the right piece of kit?  It's mainly needed to help reversing up to our caravan hitch.

The link is for your order so only you can access it :)

Still, at a guess you bought this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175161616367

If so, it'll probably work but....

- you will need to find someone with VCDS or similar to recode your car

- the headunit doesn't have an RCA plug so you'll either need an adaptor or to chop it off to put the correct pins/connector on

- it should be powered off the reverse lights but it'll likely have interference without a relay kit

I'm also not sure what video format a MIB2 headunit expects, maybe someone else can confirm if it's correct.

On 21/09/2023 at 10:39, langers2k said:

The link is for your order so only you can access it :)

Still, at a guess you bought this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175161616367

If so, it'll probably work but....

- you will need to find someone with VCDS or similar to recode your car

- the headunit doesn't have an RCA plug so you'll either need an adaptor or to chop it off to put the correct pins/connector on

- it should be powered off the reverse lights but it'll likely have interference without a relay kit

I'm also not sure what video format a MIB2 headunit expects, maybe someone else can confirm if it's correct.

Yes, that's the one.  So "vehicle specific" doesn't mean no additional parts or tools required...  Annoyingly I missed the bit in the product description that says "This will NOT work directly with any factory fitted monitors or head units" which is what we've got.  Just had a conversation with the seller, they do sell a connection kit for the MIB2 head unit, but it's £249 which blows my budget a bit.

Now I've seen Aliexpress mentioned on these forums (fora?) but have no experience with buying from them - are they a good source of the complete kit?  If so, does anyone have a link to the right package?  Is the link from SplinthMonkey's post from 24th August the right kit?

Eddie

I bought mine from AliExpress, see the other ‘retro fit reverse camera’ thread on here. (Author was member Wayland). No coding needed, mine iirc was type A, but the type you need depends on the tailgate handle size.  Took me about three hours to fit, you will need trim removal tools (eBay is your friend) and a bit of curtain wire to aid threading.  I didn’t fully remove the tailgate trim, i managed to jer-jiggle it enough to get at the latch.

Edited by Baxlin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie965 said:

Yes, that's the one.  So "vehicle specific" doesn't mean no additional parts or tools required...

Indeed 😞

In this instance, it would appear 'vehicle specific' just means it will fit in the boot lid hole...

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Chinese 'magic' kits like the Sinosmart. I don't trust anything that's recoding modules automatically and some folk have had issues with similar kits failing quite quickly.

I would always recommend a genuine highline kit from a reputable seller. Yes it'll need coding but done right, it'll be identical to a factory installed kit. For example: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003578483619.html

Have a look at this thread for some ideas and pros/cons etc:

• 1 month later...
On 22/09/2023 at 11:58, Eddie965 said:

Yes, that's the one.  So "vehicle specific" doesn't mean no additional parts or tools required...  Annoyingly I missed the bit in the product description that says "This will NOT work directly with any factory fitted monitors or head units" which is what we've got.  Just had a conversation with the seller, they do sell a connection kit for the MIB2 head unit, but it's £249 which blows my budget a bit.

Now I've seen Aliexpress mentioned on these forums (fora?) but have no experience with buying from them - are they a good source of the complete kit?  If so, does anyone have a link to the right package?  Is the link from SplinthMonkey's post from 24th August the right kit?

Eddie

I bought my kit from Ali Express, and it was all straightforward and was plug and play for about £45.

There is a full guide here.

My tip would be to run the wire down to the back not up in the headlining. That way you don't have to worry about it fouling the airbags in the A-pillars and above the doors.

I found a dowel and net curtain wire invaluable when threading the wire.

Also plan ahead for where you're going to put the large boot trim down if/when you remove it so you don't mark your trim.

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Based in this thread I took a punt on one of these plug and play camera kits from Aliexpress. 

all works as described but the camera display is in black and white? All the connections looks secure. 

for £35 I can live with it but just wondered if anyone had any bright ideas or if I’ve missed something? 

On 08/05/2022 at 20:21, SirDaff said:

Is there a way to remove that "warning" message at the bottom of view? Its blocking my view to towbar? Also would remove that 'sensor view' by default.

Any ideas? 

Gurus are being called..

@pab567
@sashagrace

Thanks, Daff

Hello! That would be a really useful piece of information!

Thanks in advance!