Reversing Camera Retrofit

It’s really easy. With aftermarket installs I tuck the cable under the headliner as it’s so much quicker and easier. Then the only trim you need to remove is the boot lid trim and the glovebox, glovebox trim with radio still in it and dash end panel. I can get them in and working in an hour now as I’ve done so many lol. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

It’s really easy. With aftermarket installs I tuck the cable under the headliner as it’s so much quicker and easier. Then the only trim you need to remove is the boot lid trim and the glovebox, glovebox trim with radio still in it and dash end panel. I can get them in and working in an hour now as I’ve done so many lol. 

We need a how to guide!! I’ve a Golf and a Bora In my garage minus the interiors for stereo and dab wiring so hopefully I’ll manage ok but this is the newest car I’ve ever owned so it’s a bit new fangled. Give me my MK4 PD or VR6 and I’m flying. This newer stuff baffles me at times 

Honesty it’s really self explanatory when it’s in front of you. 8 push fit clips and a T25 Torx to remove for the rubber handle and you can start to pull the carpet away. There’s a lot of nuances that I can’t really explain to get it all off and back without any evidence but that comes from having fitted over 35 cameras to these cars now.

• Thanks 1

How annoying is not having a wash on a cam? It probably gets dirty very fast if the road is a bit damp or dusty?

Cant decide if i should go the highline or .. .... budget line

Do high line camera need coding in addition to parameter file being loaded in to them?

TBH I was going to fit one with a washer but I don't think I'll bother. My last car had one fitted from factory and it is triggered by the rear washer, so you have to use that to wash the cam. The reality is once you have it you forget about this and just use the rear wash wipe sporadically to keep your rear window clean which then doesn't do a great job at keeping the camera clean.

I got a discount on mine and it was about £30 delivered. The wash won’t bother me on the slightest as a jet of water is not enough to dislodge road grime in a UK winter. If it were we’d all just power wash our cars without making any contact. Much easier to keep a small microfibre and glass spray in the boot. 

2 hours ago, Motion said:

How annoying is not having a wash on a cam? It probably gets dirty very fast if the road is a bit damp or dusty?

Cant decide if i should go the highline or .. .... budget line

Do high line camera need coding in addition to parameter file being loaded in to them?

Not annoying at all.

The rear of my Yeti is a dust magnet but it doesn't affect the camera that is part of the number plate light, under certain wet conditions, towing a trailer on a motorway etc the camera has become dirty and the image a little smeared, I always reverse into my driveway so can see when it has happened & will get out straight away before my short term memory loss forgets, all I do is wipe my finger over it as I walk past to my dwelling, the finger is not even dirty enough to bother washing.

I really dont think a washer jet would remove traffic film anyway, it might dislodge a spider though.

16 hours ago, Motion said:

You start from the front?  Removing side panel on the dash. Than A- pillar cover? 

No. I start from the back and work forward. Cable management is easier that way. Can get the install into the boot cavities and that makes it neater all over :)

Routing it on a passenger side righ where there no cable conduit between boot door and body. Just my luck 😔.  

Then i need to partially dislodge c colum and b colum trim to be able to get some space behind roof lineing. Remove a colum trim and side cover on the dash. 

How delicate is the roof lineing? Easily broken?

Roof lining comes out super easy, just pry it out with your fingers. It’s very thin. I can get them out easy. The boot conduit is the hardest bit but I have got my OEM camera wiring and all the retrofitted power boot wiring through mine so it is possible, just fiddly until you get the knack. If you want me to fit it I can price up for supply and fit if needed.

Hi, I have highline rvc. I am missing the CAN bus cable. Any info on how to get hold of such a thing would be very helpful. The boot lid switch works fine and the video cable is OK as well (I think). Attached please find an image of the connector to the camera unit. Sorry about the poor quality, this is the best I could do with my phone camera.

connector.png

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine to. Just gotta figure out how to remove the OEM boot switch. The trim is off and it looks like you have to push 6 clips in to release the handle - any pointers welcome!

FL hatch

IMG_20201007_123102.jpg

Push the outer clip inward on one side with a little bit of downwards pressure on the camera, that should be enough start unclipping one side, you can then do the other side and it will more or less fall out. I didn't worry too much about the four other clips but there should just be access to push two of them slightly which may help.

At least that worked for me about an hour ago when I switched mine over ;)

I now need to wait on the stereo removal keys (c'mon amazon) and to get some washer hose to hook up the washer jet.

• Thanks 1