280 Tyres

On 19/01/2019 at 10:18, Nick_H said:

Well after 21000 miles  the Pirelli’s have gone to be replaced by Pilot Sport 4’s.

Still plenty of tread left on the Pirelli’s. Well 3.5mm on the front and maybe 4.5 on the back so could have kept them longer.

Not sorry to see them go :-)

Well here we go again.... I’ve really enjoyed the PS4’s but the fronts are down to 3mm and the rears 5mm....

I don’t really want to go much lower than 2.5 on the fronts so If I swap them next month they will have done around 9k miles.

So this time I’m looking for a good compromise again. 

Only done about 10 minutes research so far Mitchelin Primacy 4 looks promising.

Opinions ?

On 19/01/2019 at 22:45, newbie69 said:

According to some sources even from Michelin themselves, the PS4 vs PS4S differences are small and definitely not noticeable in daily or fairly fast driving but only when approaching the limit. They are both extremely capable on both wet and dry and the 4S would justify its extra cost in applications where absolutely every last bit of grip is needed, I don't think the Superb with its AWD falls in this category, the PS4 is already huge improvement to Cinturatos.

Personally I am inclined to switch to 245/40 when replacing the stock tires. More grip, higher sidewall, and much more choices. The 4S only comes in 235/40 while the PS4 comes in 245/40. A 245/40 PS4 will offer almost  235/40 4S performance at around 80% of the price.

i am thinking about 255/35/19 instead

22 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

Sorry you’ve lost me ? With which tyre ?

stock is 235/40/19, i am thing 255/35/19 which much more similar spec to stock instead of 245/40/19.  ps4  which should be last a big longer than ps4s

3 minutes ago, pompom said:

stock is 235/40/19, i am thing 255/35/19 which much more similar spec to stock instead of 245/40/19.  ps4  which should be last a big longer than ps4s

ahhh. Ok. I’m on 18’s.

3 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Nick I'm waiting for the advice from the Cheerleaders Association who are doing a sale at the moment on bobble hats if you're interested.:notme:

Ahhh cheers mate yes please ! With winter coming I’m def interested. Put me down for 4 please !

3 hours ago, AJAMESR said:

Anyone tried Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 ?

Yes. Good tyre. Quiet, I guess... I had them on my Brera, but sold the car before I wore them out, so can't comment on durability.

• Like 1

I had asymmetric 2s on the vrs and replaced them with the ps4. Both good, but I'd say the ps4 were better, especially in the dry. Looking back I had the goodyears fitted in 11, so quite an old tyre now. 

Both better than the p7, but you knew that already. 

• 2 years later...

Here we go again tyre depth has reached the point where I’m sniffing around at replacements …

Current depths 

Fr - 3.8 mm

Fl - 3.1 mm

Rr - 4.4

Rl - 4.3

Do I go with PS4 again or look at an alternative ?

No doubt the PS4 is a cracking tyre but they don’t last that long. Im not complaining it’s what I expected think this is my 3rd full set.

So shortlisted :

PS4 - I know what to expect it’s a cracking drive and I know how long it’s going to last.

Crossclimate 2 - I’m not driving on the track and the added cold weather performance  appeals. Would I really feel the difference in  day to day driving with the Crossclimates ? Would they be scrabbling for grip with a full throttle start in the summer ?

The search continues …

If looking at summer tyres then consider new Continental sport contact 7 or Goodyear Eagle asymmetric 6 ahead of Michelin Pilot sport 4S

High performance all season are bit more complicated, it's really where you want the compromise.  Look at Vredestein Quatrac or Goodyear vector 4 seasons.   If want quiet tyre look at Pirelli all season SF2.   But I have heard mixed comments about wear of Michelin crossclimate2

If want to keep the performance then as soon as temperature is generally below +15c get a winter set (about early Nov to early April in UK)

• Like 1

Cheers trouble is I’m too lazy to be messing with true winters and if the weather is truly crap I’ll just leave the car on the drive. Have some snow socks in the boot for emergancies.

I guess what I really want is for someone to tell me either :

Yes stick with the summers the crossclimates are just too much of a dynamic compromise especially if you don’t do a lot of winter miles.

or

Nope honestly if you are not driving on the track you wont feel much difference between the summer and the crossclimates plus you will have the added security when the temp falls below x degrees.

I have been both happy and uninspired with the cross climates.  The consistent feel is great and the fact that you can drive the same tyre safely all year round gives me the warm and fuzzys.  This is why I have had them fitted to MrsG's car.

I have had a few opportunities to push them over 2 years.  Sometimes on fast roads and sometimes under unplanned heavy braking.  The limits being height of summer and height of winter.  They just break traction too easily.

So, I am going back to a 2 set user and recently acquired a set of wheels to be used as summers and ordered some asymmetric 6's.  I will continue to use the CC's in the winter until they are worn then replace them with genuine winter tyres.

I think I'll get a chance to fit the wheels end of next week and then going away for a few days so should be able to provide some feedback after that.

• Love it! 1

Very generally the summers will always perform better when temperature is above about 11c in wet or about 15c when wet, compared to all seasons

But unless you are intending to try and shave fractions of a second off cornering and lap times, probably not going to notice until temperature gets to more like +25c.   At these higher temperatures will notice the all seasons are not as grippy.

Of course the reality in UK is most rain is below +15c (except for about 2-4 months per year depending on how far north you are), and days over +25c are not that common either.  Many high performance summer tyres have a sharp fall in wet grip below +10c (nearer +4c in dry)

So overall, all seasons are probably good for about 11 months a year, and adequate for 1 month.  Summer tyres good for about 7 months, poor for 4 months, and very poor, useless or dangerous for 1 month.

If don't want to change to seasonal tyres, then all seasons are much better choice.  Might lose smidge of fun on warm summer days, but won't have skittish drives in cold wet weather.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nick_H said:

Crossclimate 2 - I’m not driving on the track and the added cold weather performance  appeals. Would I really feel the difference in  day to day driving with the Crossclimates ? Would they be scrabbling for grip with a full throttle start in the summer ?

No, not if my experience with the Conti All Season is similar to CrossClimate, albeit I’ve only had them since the end of November and have covered 2,500 miles, so no hot days as yet. Interestingly, the first thing I noticed was they’re so quiet vs the P7’s they replaced.
I went with the Conti over the Michelin, based purely on the overall dry and wet performance rather than snow, as we get so little of it here, but we recently had one morning where we woke up to about 4cm and it was like driving on a normal wet road. The amount of snow which had been thrown-up into the wheel arches was amazing!  

• Like 1

All Seasons / All Weather / Winter tyres do not scrabble for grip on hot roads / surfaces, they can stick like sh!t to a shovel.

(gravel and stone chips can as well and really make a mess of something or someone when they detach at speed from the rubber..)

So good can the grip be that you can rip the tread or parts of them off.    So perfect for going to the drag strip, well they can be with some cars.

As to driving UK roads with 60 mph roads in the heat of a summer they can be perfectly good if all you are doing is keeplng flow with others out on that fine day.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/505352-deteriorating-front-tyres

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

I’m on my second set of ps4 and so far I’ve been really impressed with them. Got 15k out of the fronts and 23k out of the rears which I thought was very good considering the power and crap roads they have to put up with.

I was almost tempted to try the ps5 when replacing the rears recently but ultimately opted to stick with what I know especially as there was an offer on the 4’s and not the 5’s so they would’ve cost me an extra £30 or so to try out. Guess next time might be 5’s going on the front though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SkudMissile21 said:

Got 15k out of the fronts and 23k out of the rears

Jeeesus! I got 37k out of the P7’s (18k of which I added after Prykey traded it) and they still had 3mm all round! Mind you I got 56k on the Contis I had on the MKI Superb, so clearly I do drive like a Granny! 

• Haha 1

I got 4 yrs, 52k kms, out of the factory P7 Cintarato tyres.

Still had life in them for another 10k kms or so, but I changed to ContiMaxContacts 6 because I wanted to change the profile to 245/40/19.

I definitely don't drive like a granny.

• Like 1