2016 Fabia Monte Carlo TSI 90

Fab1493

@AMD87 you clearly know what you're talking about so Im calling for your assistance please

The Fabia is definitely becoming my toy, it'll go in this Saturday for a remap & in next few weeks itll have the forge intake kit and eibach lowering springs and in a not too distant future Im going for a rear anti roll bar as you suggested.

The 2 things Im still unsure of are wheels and seats

Ive seen people state lightweight wheels are no good for road driving as they will bend and/or crack, is this the case? Is it worth getting aftermarket wheels?

The other thing is race seats - Ive seen some nice Sparcos and the base for Sparco seats, is there a way to be 100% certain they fit the Fabia? 

Thank you very much in advance

3 hours ago, Fab1493 said:

@AMD87 you clearly know what you're talking about so Im calling for your assistance please

The Fabia is definitely becoming my toy, it'll go in this Saturday for a remap & in next few weeks itll have the forge intake kit and eibach lowering springs and in a not too distant future Im going for a rear anti roll bar as you suggested.

The 2 things Im still unsure of are wheels and seats

Ive seen people state lightweight wheels are no good for road driving as they will bend and/or crack, is this the case? Is it worth getting aftermarket wheels?

The other thing is race seats - Ive seen some nice Sparcos and the base for Sparco seats, is there a way to be 100% certain they fit the Fabia? 

Thank you very much in advance

Any wheel can crack or bend. it is worth it as it reduces rolling resistance and Forged wheels are the way to go. as @Dark_Hero states team dynamics are a good set to look like more so the pro race 1.2's as these wheels are used in alot of the one make race series in the uk and are light and strong. Only wheels i've had experience of issues with are Rota wheels but as the saying goes by cheap by twice.

Seats pass on that one but im sure if you get the right mounts they should be good.

whos doing the map?

5 minutes ago, AMD87 said:

Will be interesting to see the results, a few of us are thinking about doing this if you’re interested 

https://www.javelintrackdays.co.uk/trackdays/Cadwell-Park/Cadwell_Park_Evening_15th_May_2019

The TSI 90 is in stock form in my opinion very underwhelming however I had for a week or so a 14 plate Polo SEL 3dr TSI 110 when it came out and I remember thinking that felt very nippy for a 1.2... Hopefully the Fabia will be even faster with its mighty 130 bhp!

I have never done a track day! I want to but Id be lying if I said Im not scared... I like to think of myself as a fairly skilled driver and I know when I go to a track day that will be proven wrong... 

It is something I need to do though... 

8 minutes ago, Fab1493 said:

The TSI 90 is in stock form in my opinion very underwhelming however I had for a week or so a 14 plate Polo SEL 3dr TSI 110 when it came out and I remember thinking that felt very nippy for a 1.2... Hopefully the Fabia will be even faster with its mighty 130 bhp!

I have never done a track day! I want to but Id be lying if I said Im not scared... I like to think of myself as a fairly skilled driver and I know when I go to a track day that will be proven wrong... 

It is something I need to do though... 

We all have to start somewhere! It’s a night one so only from 17:50-20:00 so won’t be hard on the cars. 

Track insurance is pretty decent too on the fabias. 

Plan is for mine to be on track and my friends mk2 fabia vRS and hopefully another 200bhp Monte Carlo. 

24 minutes ago, Fab1493 said:

Realistically speaking I dont think I can make that but it is something I am interested in - does it happen fairly regularly some members going on track days? Is it something I could revisit in the future?

Can do if there’s enough. The guy with the vRS Dino keeps talking me into it and it’s the day after I get the car back from darkside with the diff so rude not to try it out. 

Can always come for passenger laps although the last time I was at Cadwell it didn’t end well in an M3 :wacko: seen my breakfast again 

413A7CFB-2BEA-4AFE-A4FD-85BCEF92BF9F.jpeg

5 hours ago, Fab1493 said:

@Dark_Hero @AMD87

Thank you very much guys, I shall be going for the Sparco seats & the Team Dynamics wheels 

@AMD87 a local garage near me (Doncaster) who did my current Leon 184 and my previous Leon 150 - they use maps by Quantum Tuning

Good choice. I got my subframes from Demon tweeks. Probably a bit overkill in mine now though as I doubt i’ll Do another track day in it

@Kenrw8 Considering you have fitted dampers to your car, I am calling upon your experience to hopefully point me in the right direction...

I have looked into both coilovers and lowering springs and I decided it makes more sense to go with lowering springs (because I don't really need the adjustability of coilovers) & then at a later stage when the standard dampers need to be swapped, swap them for a set of sports dampers...

Now this is where my problems begin... I don't have any experience when it comes to upgrading cars, so when I started looking at a set of dampers I could use with my lowering springs I was baffled at the amount of different things to consider. 

How did you pick your dampers & why?

10 minutes ago, Fab1493 said:

@Kenrw8 Considering you have fitted dampers to your car, I am calling upon your experience to hopefully point me in the right direction...

I have looked into both coilovers and lowering springs and I decided it makes more sense to go with lowering springs (because I don't really need the adjustability of coilovers) & then at a later stage when the standard dampers need to be swapped, swap them for a set of sports dampers...

Now this is where my problems begin... I don't have any experience when it comes to upgrading cars, so when I started looking at a set of dampers I could use with my lowering springs I was baffled at the amount of different things to consider. 

How did you pick your dampers & why?

If your looking for springs only, then go for eibach. They are usually designed to work well with standard dampers.

but when the time comes for dampers bilstein should go well with the eibachs

@Dark_Hero I am indeed looking to get the Eibachs, I'm glad I got that right :biggrin:

The dampers is where I am clueless - you say the Bilstein will go well... but which ones? Do all dampers fit all cars? I really don't get dampers and when trying to research for dampers all that seems to come up is articles to do with pick up trucks :doh:

My car doesn't ESP so I what a comfortable but stiff ride and Monroe OEspectrum I chose active are a twin cylinder damper with valve tech to offer quick transition in stability.  Loni do a similar but read somewhere that they suffer from corrosion more than the Monroe. Whereas Bilsteins are monotube and come in three variant B4, B6, B8 which increase in stiffness and price , I had consider these but thought the the B6 and the B8 to be too stiff and probably give an uncomfortable ride.

I not yet lowered the and still on standard springs.

I also added to the stiffness polyflex bushes that will last a lifetime without deterioration.

If your intending to race then monotube ,like Bilsteins is the way to go, but to a some research of your own. The Monroes suit me as they offer road holding and comfort and can be pushed when wanted.

The Monroes also were cheaper than than Bilsteins but more than Konis

@Dark_Hero @Kenrw8 Thank you very much for your help! I cant find any suitable Monroes but the Bilstein B8 seem very decent however I cant seem to find them anywhere.. in fact, Im struggling to find any dampers other than OE for the Fabia Mk3. I can see coilover kits and lowering springs but no performance dampers. 

Ive looked into DMPerformance, Demon Tweeks, eBay, Driftworks.. do you guys know where else I can check?

30 minutes ago, Fab1493 said:

@Dark_Hero @Kenrw8 Thank you very much for your help! I cant find any suitable Monroes but the Bilstein B8 seem very decent however I cant seem to find them anywhere.. in fact, Im struggling to find any dampers other than OE for the Fabia Mk3. I can see coilover kits and lowering springs but no performance dampers. 

Ive looked into DMPerformance, Demon Tweeks, eBay, Driftworks.. do you guys know where else I can check?

Speak to awesome gti, Mark there will probably know something.