2016 Fabia Monte Carlo TSI 90

Fab1493

Hello everyone,

I'm very very new here and I'm not sure if I should be opening a new topic for this but here we go...

I have a 2016 Fabia MC 1.2 90 which I adore and would very much like to turn into a bit of a handling beast for my own enjoyment and basically keep until it dies.

The original manufacturers warranty is due to run out in a few months so I've been thinking about what to do with it and whether or not I should spend the money. All the mods I've got so far are done by myself using OBDEleven

- Cornering lights

- Rear lights, front fogs, main beams & front indicators acting as coming home/leaving home lights

My ideas are...

- Remap to 130bhp (I'm not looking for loads of power)

- Induction kit (nothing too over the top, not even sure what brand to get)

- Lightweight alloys with tyres 215/40/17 (currently on standard 16s)

- New suspension (probably coilovers however not sure what brand to get)

- Anti roll bars (if it's possible to get a rear anti roll bar on the Fabia?)

- New discs and pads (Looking to reduce unsprung weight)

- Short shifting kit

- Full custom exhaust

- Polybushes (if it's worth it?)

- Remove rear seats (at a later stage)

- Replace front seats with 2 bucket seats

- Potentially stripping some of the sound insulation (at a much later stage)

I think that pretty much covers it... 

My idea is to turn it into a great handling machine with just enough poke that isn't going to cost a fortune every time I put my foot down.

I've never modded a car and I don't know where to start, I've been researching for ages and I'm really struggling. 

I'd like suggestions of brands to get quality parts from as I'd like to start doing stuff to it during the Summer

It's a nearly 50% increase in power and what looks like a lot of mods that make it look like a racer, particularly if you are stripping things out of the car.

Welcome.

Best do things in the right order. 

Strip out the insulation, rear seats, seat belts ect, fit the roll cage and paint the cars interior first rather than later.

Suspension and brake upgrades before the power increase.

You might just find parts in Briskoda for sales that keep your costs down.  Someone is selling coil overs and looking for standard springs and dampers now.

But those are for a diesel Fabia.

A wanted ad might find what you are after. 

Skoffski thats what I am most concerned about, do things in the right order. Im very methodical borderline OCD which hopefully will help in getting the Fabia to where it needs to be

AMD87 Ive seen that kit before... I thought about it and at this moment in time Im more focused on getting the handling capabilities to their max, then up the power to the 130 and only then, if I feel I need it, I will take it up to 200. 

I do have a Leon 184 remapped to 220 which is a beast, but also a bit of a heavyweight (compared to the Fabia anyway), I guess 200 bhp would turn it into a tiny rocketship! :)

I didn't do mine probably not in the best order,but I've what I wanted.

Remap from 86 to 122 Unicorn Developments

Polybushes 

Catback exhaust, Powerflow

Monroe OEspectrom sports dampers

Brembo front discs (same size) with Pagid pads

Front pipe with sports cat, Tony Banks Longlife

Rolling road to 142 hp

Timing chain tensioner replaced

LuK lifetime clutch

Quaife LSD, Wavetrac better for racing.

Replacement OEM factory turbo

Still on standard springs, polybushes and Monroe offer good firmness that I'm happy with.

I have a project with details

Right guys, this is what Im thinking for phase 1

Whiteline front and rear anti roll bars

Eibach Pro Street S coilovers

Powerflow custom exhaust

Forge intake kit

Remap

Wolfrace 17" wheels

Falken tyres

Potentially also fitting polybushes all around, engine mounts and gearbox mounts at the same time but only if it is beneficial cost wise so Im waiting for a quote on labour for these items. 

I cant quite strip the car yet because it is still being used as a daily, when that changes I will revisit the stripped interior option. 

What do you think? Any advice/suggesrions?

48 minutes ago, Dark_Hero said:

Unless your racing don’t bother with the engine mounts. They’re pretty pricey

Thank you very much for this, Im definitely not racing so I'll just not bother. 

3 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

@Fab1493   Did you list all the mods you are intending doing with the Insurance Broker or Insurers that was affordable?  Who were they?

Yes I did list all the mods - I have to be honest, Im not sure of the company names as I simply went on comparison website (usual way I get insurance every year)

The very cheapest for comprehensive was just under £500 per year but in the main the average was circa £1,300 for the years comprehensive insurance. The quotes were all using same data so Im not sure why such a high discrepancy. 

For reference Im 25 years old, not born in UK (which does affect my insurance premium by a lot, or at least it used to), driving license full UK since Jan 2012 and 4 years NCB.

I still remember getting my first Citigo SE 60 when I was 21 which cost me circa £3k to insure for the year! 

At the moment the Fabia is still costing £600 or so to insure for the year... and believe it or not, the Suzuki Swift Sport I had before getting the Fabia was cheaper to insure. 

And my other daily, a remapped Leon 184 is about the same as the Fabia to insure.

27 minutes ago, AMD87 said:

I wouldn’t  do the front anti roll bar just the rear to help it oversteer. 

The engine mounts do make a difference with changing gear makes it feel a lot better and accurate. 

@AMD87 Thats a very interesting comment regarding the anti roll bars... and it does relate to something I've been thinking about today.

And that does sound good regarding the engine mounts as it would be in line with what I'm trying to achieve - a not too powerful at all lightweight car so i can have a laugh when turning into bends...

Anyway, I must admit I am feeling a bit overwhelmed because there are so many things to think about and so many different options. I have never done this before and I'm really not sure where to start. We're still a few months away from me wanting to start modding and I'm already a mess! So I've wondered if perhaps it would be better fitting the parts bit by bit spaced out by a few weeks/couple of months so I know for future builds which ones I like the best and which ones I don't.

For example, like @AMD87 suggested, fitting only rear anti roll bar, have it that way for a few months, and if it is good and lines up with what I want then happy days and I have a Fabia keen to oversteer (I must admit I do miss the Swift and the way the rear stepped out on a nice country road...)

These are just ideas for now and brain storming, hence why I came on here to discuss with people who have done these things before... I never would've thought about rear anti roll bar only but now that it has been mentioned it seems so obvious! :D

47 minutes ago, Fab1493 said:

@AMD87 Thats a very interesting comment regarding the anti roll bars... and it does relate to something I've been thinking about today.

And that does sound good regarding the engine mounts as it would be in line with what I'm trying to achieve - a not too powerful at all lightweight car so i can have a laugh when turning into bends...

Anyway, I must admit I am feeling a bit overwhelmed because there are so many things to think about and so many different options. I have never done this before and I'm really not sure where to start. We're still a few months away from me wanting to start modding and I'm already a mess! So I've wondered if perhaps it would be better fitting the parts bit by bit spaced out by a few weeks/couple of months so I know for future builds which ones I like the best and which ones I don't.

For example, like @AMD87 suggested, fitting only rear anti roll bar, have it that way for a few months, and if it is good and lines up with what I want then happy days and I have a Fabia keen to oversteer (I must admit I do miss the Swift and the way the rear stepped out on a nice country road...)

These are just ideas for now and brain storming, hence why I came on here to discuss with people who have done these things before... I never would've thought about rear anti roll bar only but now that it has been mentioned it seems so obvious! :D

Was something I learned from single make FWD series. We used to race minis and mk6 fiesta st’s and we used to run the rear tyres at 50psi cold to help oversteer and turn in. 

We have a member on the Fabia Monte Carlo owners group on Facebook in Australia with a mk2 1.2 tsi that’s fully stripped and caged and used on trackdays. 

Mine gets used on track aswell if you have a look at my project thread aswell. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Fab1493 said:

@AMD87 Id like to pick your brains if I may... Correct me if Im wrong but your car is a 1.6 TDI running 204 bhp, is that correct?

Have you had issues with diesel emissions and passing MOT and all that?

Correct and nope never had an advisory but then stevie wonder and ray Charles do my mots :ph34r:

54 minutes ago, AMD87 said:

Correct and nope never had an advisory but then stevie wonder and ray Charles do my mots :ph34r:

ahah! 

Thats good to hear... See I'm torn... Advise is not only appreciated but also encouraged - as you know my Fabia TSI 90 is coming up to 3 years old and I've been brainstorming on what to do with it performance wise... however I also have a 63 Leon TDI 184 (remapped to 220) that has nearly 100k on it and I must admit I'd rather strip the interior of the Leon than the Fabia because the Monte Carlo interior is simply lovely 

My question is - if I choose to go with modding the mile muncher, how far can I go with a diesel engine before it becomes an issue on MOT? Could I have a DPF back exhaust & an induction kit without issues?

26 minutes ago, Fab1493 said:

ahah! 

Thats good to hear... See I'm torn... Advise is not only appreciated but also encouraged - as you know my Fabia TSI 90 is coming up to 3 years old and I've been brainstorming on what to do with it performance wise... however I also have a 63 Leon TDI 184 (remapped to 220) that has nearly 100k on it and I must admit I'd rather strip the interior of the Leon than the Fabia because the Monte Carlo interior is simply lovely 

My question is - if I choose to go with modding the mile muncher, how far can I go with a diesel engine before it becomes an issue on MOT? Could I have a DPF back exhaust & an induction kit without issues?

In theory the Leon would be easier as there are more parts which can “bolt on” from other cars in the vag range such as TTRS,RS3 etc 

with the fabia you’re limited to Ibiza/polo/a1 both won’t be cheap. As the fabia is also chargecooled there would be more work required fitting an intercooler where as on the Leon you could easily do a straight swap to an S3 one. Powerwise you’ll struggle for more from the Leon before fitting bigger turbos dpf deletes etc. 

12 minutes ago, AMD87 said:

In theory the Leon would be easier as there are more parts which can “bolt on” from other cars in the vag range such as TTRS,RS3 etc 

with the fabia you’re limited to Ibiza/polo/a1 both won’t be cheap. As the fabia is also chargecooled there would be more work required fitting an intercooler where as on the Leon you could easily do a straight swap to an S3 one. Powerwise you’ll struggle for more from the Leon before fitting bigger turbos dpf deletes etc. 

That makes sense, thank you very much for your input. 

Powerwise I wouldnt necessarily want more power from the Leon if I was to go with it, it would only be a matter of making sure it runs better (such as perhaps fitting an intercooler like you mentioned) & doing some handling upgrades. My biggest fear is the dreaded MOT and how theyve tighten the rules for diesels because they are now the devil. 

12 minutes ago, Fab1493 said:

That makes sense, thank you very much for your input. 

Powerwise I wouldnt necessarily want more power from the Leon if I was to go with it, it would only be a matter of making sure it runs better (such as perhaps fitting an intercooler like you mentioned) & doing some handling upgrades. My biggest fear is the dreaded MOT and how theyve tighten the rules for diesels because they are now the devil. 

theres plenty of places in yorkshire that could sort that out :ph34r: