What did you do to your Octavia today?

Filled the screen wash reservoir  with summer screen wash fluid  ( I *think* winter is over 🙂 )

Very nearly fitted SuperSkoda bonnet struts, but found that the bolts holding the bonnet on are non-standard.

Ordered bit for strange bonnet bolts.

On 26/05/2019 at 22:01, MarkyG82 said:

Yeah matt black. Came out ok but will need to do it again as it's coming away at the corners of the screen. The black panel comes away from the unit with some little effort. Found it easiest to pop it off at the bottom corners then work up the sides, top, then bottom. A couple of the tabs broke but it went back with no issues. The reason it is peeling is due to me trimming it flush with edge. Should have pulled it tight and refitted it as is.

Will get some silver for the edge and do that at the same time as redoing the black.

Can you provide locations for the clips.  ... and tips how not to break then:)

On the back of the front cover 😀 

Honestly, it's best to try for yourself I think. As long as you don't mark or break the front face it can be glued back on if needed. To avoid breaking them get some prying tools and just be careful and have patience. I did it when I was alone in the house to avoid any annoying questions. Same with the wrapping.  Also remove the screen from the car. That last point is probably the most important and I should have started with it 🤣

Fitted a catted downpipe. Now the car sounds terrible, so a catback is now on the wishlist. Anyone had any experience with the Bull X system?

7 hours ago, StealthRS245 said:

Fitted a catted downpipe. Now the car sounds terrible, so a catback is now on the wishlist. Anyone had any experience with the Bull X system?

one mans terrible is another mans music.... is it bad inside the cabin? or at revs?

10 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

one mans terrible is another mans music.... is it bad inside the cabin? or at revs?

It's got a nasty drone around 3K rpm and it's a lot louder than Id like in the cabin (the missus was not impressed at all), It's got an 18" glasspack resonator and the stock mufflers.

I have heard the Bull X 3" system makes a nice deep tone, but I'm not sure what the quality is like - they're a lot cheaper than some of the other systems out there.

12 hours ago, StealthRS245 said:

It's got a nasty drone around 3K rpm and it's a lot louder than Id like in the cabin (the missus was not impressed at all), It's got an 18" glasspack resonator and the stock mufflers.

I have heard the Bull X 3" system makes a nice deep tone, but I'm not sure what the quality is like - they're a lot cheaper than some of the other systems out there.

there's your problem, i remember using glass packs on my bug and the noise was almost as bad as a full flow stinger with no back box that we used for drag days 

Edited by JohnnyType2

15 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

there's your problem, i remember using glass packs on my bug and the noise was almost as bad as a full flow stinger with no back box that we used for drag days 

Ah ok, thanks for the tip. I'll swap it out for a steel or ceramic and see how it goes

Today I fitted an upgraded intercooler (eBay special... horrors!) It was actually a lot easier than I expected, however I cracked the headlight housing in an unfortunate accident involving a wrong size screw, so hopefully a bit of silicone can seal it otherwise it will be a very expensive lesson.

The quality of the IC is faultless and the fitment was perfect. Glad I bought it, this is one of those rare cases where you get better than you pay for. Paid $350 compared to the $1000+ of the big brands.

I also fitted a strut brace which hopefully sharpens up the front end a bit.

IMG_20190528_124542.jpg

20190601_231806.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, StealthRS245 said:

Today I fitted an upgraded intercooler (eBay special... horrors!) It was actually a lot easier than I expected, however I cracked the headlight housing in an unfortunate accident involving a wrong size screw, so hopefully a bit of silicone can seal it otherwise it will be a very expensive lesson.

The quality of the IC is faultless and the fitment was perfect. Glad I bought it, this is one of those rare cases where you get better than you pay for. Paid $350 compared to the $1000+ of the big brands.

I also fitted a strut brace which hopefully sharpens up the front end a bit.

IMG_20190528_124542.jpg

20190601_231806.jpg

Nice to see you getting close to joining the stage 2 club.:thumbup:

8 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Nice to see you getting close to joining the stage 2 club.:thumbup:

Not far away now, booked in for ECU and dsg tuning next week 🙂

• Thanks 1

Pulled away the door seal from bottom of back door to let about 2 pints of water out of the door cavity ,no more sloshing sound on braking now ,need to check drainage holes make sure there not blocked 

After not doing any mods for a while, the itch needed to be scratched, so retrofitted the powerfold mirrors. Also 80 percent through fitting the Inbay Qi car charger. Will finish that off tomorrow.

And on the E46, swapped a broken wiper arm.

6 hours ago, hirez said:

In reference to this;Additional weather seal

I added door gaskets/seals to my my19 Octavia 1.5tsi

tmp-cam-2044844924.thumb.jpg.64f48bbdd9a257afd0c936a3b07f814f.jpg

before

tmp-cam-393397589.thumb.jpg.b5d3a1e1467e8be1f0b34d5ccfc6fa4c.jpg

After

Lower merging seal; cut a little high angled

tmp-cam-248537788.thumb.jpg.84be59cbe5753f5c5753deb0c5d316bb.jpgbefore

tmp-cam-1586830820.thumb.jpg.0beefa6f751e2d4082612312d96350f8.jpg

After

Outside;

tmp-cam-1575444305.thumb.jpg.4393750c0acaa403c5132927fde9cc2e.jpg

before

tmp-cam-918723376.thumb.jpg.7b6274d64e8d8c4f6cbf878b05d0fd1f.jpg

after

Have you noticed a improvement and less road noise?

where did you source the rubber striping from?

7 minutes ago, Rybu79 said:

I have not really put it to test yet.

They where sourced from amazon:Big D weather strip

I also used an audi A4 for comparison. The are nearly identical except for this weather seal.  I am guessing floor and fender sealing play a role in noise as well.

I'll post an update after a few trips to test....

Edited by hirez
  • Thanks 1

Went South, and achieved 50mpg across the first 70 miles. Not bad for the TSI and I wasn't particularly trying. Still averaged an indicated  47mpg for the full 187 mile trip despite 2 stops and some heavy traffic conditions (added an extra 50mins). It's a great all rounder this car! Indicated figures are usually within 0.5mpg of calculated figure from a full tank brim.

IMG_20190610_164904.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/06/2019 at 22:57, Rybu79 said:

Well, I had a four hour drive, mostly freeway, and while not huge I would say there is an improvement in the front.  But in the back seat it is still pretty atrocious. I guess its down to floor and wheel wells.

I have now become more keenly aware of the sound gen.  I find it distracting at best.  It will be on the list to go😀

I bought a space saver spare wheel. Once fitted into the recess and the board/carpet over the top, there was a lot of space between the board/carpet and the wheel. That is of course a weakness which is no good when I load 4 heavy air tanks into the boot for a trip away. So I made a "bespoke custom" board. Only a fancy title for a piece of 9mm ply board that I cut to size and fitted over the top of the wheel well covering the whole boot floor. Then carpet on top, my rubber mat on top of that, job done. My "bespoke custom" cover. LOL. Even the sun in the photo seems to be giving it the thumbs up.

20190629_150607.jpg

• Like 3