What did you do to your Octavia today?

donington was interesting. First time in anything other than a kart on a track. Not sure a few of the cars out with me should have been in the "novice" group but hey ho. I went out with the aim to hit 120 and not do anything silly. Managed to hit something in the mid 120's before chickening out and hitting the anchors. Looking back at the footage i didn't get a single uninterrupted lap as the closest to a flying lap i got i pulled over to let the scorpion golf go by on the way down to turn 1.  But i was fairly happy with how the car pulled through the gears when i did get to push on a bit.

100% need to do it again for a proper stint with the requisite insurance sorted, and preferably with some like minded people that don't dive up the right hand side after being told to only pass on the left.

66526406_10157774041447697_7906590353015177216_n.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rahr85 said:

donington was interesting. First time in anything other than a kart on a track. Not sure a few of the cars out with me should have been in the "novice" group but hey ho. I went out with the aim to hit 120 and not do anything silly. Managed to hit something in the mid 120's before chickening out and hitting the anchors. Looking back at the footage i didn't get a single uninterrupted lap as the closest to a flying lap i got i pulled over to let the scorpion golf go by on the way down to turn 1.  But i was fairly happy with how the car pulled through the gears when i did get to push on a bit.

100% need to do it again for a proper stint with the requisite insurance sorted, and preferably with some like minded people that don't dive up the right hand side after being told to only pass on the left.

66526406_10157774041447697_7906590353015177216_n.jpg

I had one clown like that after I went round Redgate the impatient sod passed me on the right at the top of the Craner Curves before I had a chance to move right.:angry:

Today got rid of the black grill and fitted chrome one ( only joking ) . decided to get front wheels off to clean up calipers and  spray them. Unfortunately neighbour came to  discuss his suspected injectors problem . Result, struggle to get wheels on in a downpour.  Aaaaaghh !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, melbury said:

Today got rid of the black grill and fitted chrome one ( only joking ) . decided to get front wheels off to clean up calipers and  spray them. Unfortunately neighbour came to  discuss his suspected injectors problem . Result, struggle to get wheels on in a downpour.  Aaaaaghh !

Should have put that in What Annoyed You Today section perhaps.:rain:

I agree with Mike, some full on prepped cars out on that session that have either blagged an extra session or booked a novice session just to feel good about overtaking the rest of us. I have had track experience but as this is my daily bus and TDI power I knew better than to book a more advanced slot. Nevertheless I let the faster cars through on my warn up lap and did get space do have a couple of flying laps. I’ll get a fixed camera hooked up next time but for now, a shot of my car...

606A434A-A5A9-484D-A64B-6BEDEE7749A5.jpeg.2832efd001538ce1da9080ab9375b537.jpeg

And the 2 together @Rahr85

D7BE4126-EFF2-4E43-A808-1314C22E6CF7.jpeg.e28fb5d8b5e928f37ad09840c566b12d.jpeg

6D3EC809-3CB7-4F95-A3E3-3E0C97894E5C.jpeg.3ff08e8295c90ef3c19c45b7421ca115.jpeg

D3562AE9-DD0D-4EEC-8033-DC33164F7841.jpeg.3644d413a66b481373d7843d071e9a66.jpeg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

I agree with Mike, some full on prepped cars out on that session that have either blagged an extra session or booked a novice session just to feel good about overtaking the rest of us. I have had track experience but as this is my daily bus and TDI power I knew better than to book a more advanced slot. Nevertheless I let the faster cars through on my warn up lap and did get space do have a couple of flying laps. I’ll get a fixed camera hooked up next time but for now, a shot of my car...

606A434A-A5A9-484D-A64B-6BEDEE7749A5.jpeg.2832efd001538ce1da9080ab9375b537.jpeg

And the 2 together @Rahr85

D7BE4126-EFF2-4E43-A808-1314C22E6CF7.jpeg.e28fb5d8b5e928f37ad09840c566b12d.jpeg

6D3EC809-3CB7-4F95-A3E3-3E0C97894E5C.jpeg.3ff08e8295c90ef3c19c45b7421ca115.jpeg

D3562AE9-DD0D-4EEC-8033-DC33164F7841.jpeg.3644d413a66b481373d7843d071e9a66.jpeg

Should have tried the line to the left of the cones much more exciting, just ask Harry.:blush

• Like 1

Haha yeah I’m not so sure about that, it’s not a 4x4 model 🤣 I was starting to notice some serious brake fade half way in so I scaled it back. Brakes were still smoking when I was driving back to the club stand. I’ve spent all day today browsing multi pot setups lol

5 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

I managed the most economical track day ever lol, 19.9 mpg despite caning it for most of the 20 mins, my oil temp crept up to 134 degrees. Coolant temp stayed rock solid though.

There is a good reason why so many Ford RS owners fit an Airtec intercooler, 20 minutes on the track topping 110mph eighteen times and oil temp was 106C. My brakes suffered no fade unlike my brain on the first 2 laps trying too hard too early.:whew:

• Like 1

stuipid track time, or should i say... stupid needing to put money towards house. There are so many things i could do to make the car handle/stop better. I'm fairly content with straight line speed on the track at least until the turbo gives up..  I did notice donington do novice track days for £200 (6x20min sessions) with the option to hire an instructor.

Put back on all the trim after finding out I can't fit a cheap reversing Camera 😞

Used a touch up kit to cover a chip on the bonnet from a stone

Bought a set of sill covers that will probably being going on the missus's Octavia Soleil when she picks it up Friday

Replaced the worn front tyres with a nice set of Eagle F1 AS5's  

Picked up the car yesterday after a hunter 4 wheel alignment.  now driving down the road with the wheel not wonkey and the car doesn't drift while going in a 'straight' line.  They also washed it which I didn't realise they would do.  Not a perfect job but swirl free so the paint job lives another day.  Saves me a job as it has needed a good rinse for a while.  Just need a few hours to do a proper wash/clay/wax as it hasn't been done since last summer.

Mine was a little more at 60 plus vat.  Much better not though.  Thinking about the cost of tyres alone if I can get another 25% miles from them it'll be paid for.  That's before taking into account all the parts working correctly using less fuel and less wear+tear.  It's a no brainer.  Depending on the roads/speedbumps the car sees I plan to get done every 12-24 months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkyG82 said:

Mine was a little more at 60 plus vat.  Much better not though.  Thinking about the cost of tyres alone if I can get another 25% miles from them it'll be paid for.  That's before taking into account all the parts working correctly using less fuel and less wear+tear.  It's a no brainer.  Depending on the roads/speedbumps the car sees I plan to get done every 12-24 months.

Probably all spot on. Add in the fact that a car that is correctly aligned drives so much more nicely and is better balanced when turning / taking corners. 

• Like 1

On 18/07/2019 at 08:59, lway said:

Put back on all the trim after finding out I can't fit a cheap reversing Camera 😞

Used a touch up kit to cover a chip on the bonnet from a stone

Bought a set of sill covers that will probably being going on the missus's Octavia Soleil when she picks it up Friday

Replaced the worn front tyres with a nice set of Eagle F1 AS5's  

Hi , I am wondering why it is that you can't fit cheap reversing camera. Probably not to main system but one can be fitted with a wireless system  that communicates remotely with  its own  independent screen. All the necessary kit would be in the boot and so no wires going forward.

On 19/07/2019 at 17:24, melbury said:

Hi , I am wondering why it is that you can't fit cheap reversing camera. Probably not to main system but one can be fitted with a wireless system  that communicates remotely with  its own  independent screen. All the necessary kit would be in the boot and so no wires going forward.

I have a Bolero MIB1 without the VOICE button, I have a TP button there in it's place, from what I've read from Sasha it won't work unless it has the VOICE button and functionality.

Could go with a separate screen one but prefer to have it wired in to the system itself.

Missus just took delivery of her Octavia Soleil with the in built reversing camera and dynamic lines just to make things worse, not jealous at all :) 

Not today- but yesterday I spent two hours getting a dead spider out of my nearside rear cluster - what a right PITA that was. Also had to get rid of the cobwebs that it had left in there. Managed to push a micro-fibre duster in through the bulb opening to get rid of the cobwebs, that took 10 minutes - then the fun started trying to get the dead spider out.

I ended up using some bell wire in the end to get the little bugger from the bottom corner.

That is two hours I will never get back - but I couldn't leave it in there. 

Did discover that they don't give you much loom spare to unplug the rear cluster 😫

It's been an addition I've been meaning to do, but never got round to it. Only £29.45 off fleabay for the set!! Fitted in 20 minutes, with the most difficult bit being getting the backing off the double sided tape.

20190722_173431.thumb.jpg.b53f6122ad9ccfdaab79711ac033a206.jpg

Been out this afternoon to the shops and can't notice any increase / decrease in noise (probably due to the air con being on full blast) , but I'll be on the motorway tomorrow, so I'll get a proper answer then.