What did you do to your Octavia today?

Sounds strange but put my very small collection of soft toys back in (a teddy bear from the help the heroes, sonic the hedgehog and big minion, i know i'm 42 but my dad was the same with his cars) put my first aid kit and warning triangle in the boot, and most important of all put my black and yellow Guy Martin snap on seat cover on, must protect the rather clean and very light coloured interior (MOT tester and light interior does not match to well)

Only had the car 3 days but think she is a keeper.

• Like 1

Not done today, but a few hours here and there over the past few weekends has seen a few sheets of Dynamat Extreme go into the boot floor, spare wheel well, under the reaper seat bench and on the bonnet.

It’s made a massive difference to overall noise, however I want to do the rear wheel arches; has anybody done this and know how to get the trim panels and carpet out in the boot?

Will also do the doors over the coming months (when I have time!), and probably upgrade the speakers at the same time.

Funny how the Octy’s eaten over 5 sheets of the stuff so far, and my wife’s new Smart ForTwo has taken less than 2 sheets to cover the rear engine cover and bulkhead behind the seats - effectively the same area in both cars 🤣

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by Cubbington

Bonnet Struts.

Got them from aliexpress $18 less a $3 discount as a new customer, so ridiculously cheap. They arrived today and look excellent quality.

I watched a couple of videos on fitting just by googling Octavia bonnet struts then set about it.

You will need a 10mm spanner to remove existing front wing/headlight bolts. 

A Torx T50 to unfasten the bonnet hinge bolts. One of mine was pretty tight - I'm not sure a mole wrench would have shifted it.

Some grease - I used spray white lithium grease from Toolstation.

I also added a couple of steel washers (2 supplied) and rubber washers behind all 4 where they bolt in.

Job took about 30 minutes - which is handy today as I managed it between showers. Now I have that satisfying noise when I lift the bonnet and no messing about with a prop. 

Overall satisfaction 10/10.

IMG_strut2.JPG

IMG_strut1.JPG

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Next weeks job, it’s hammering with rain now. Want to re coat everything with ceramic before it gets too cold. Inside one of the wheels is badly damaged from evasive pot hole hitting. Bloody farmers!!

I had a rear left blow out near your part of the world due to a pothole. Luckily I was only cruising along at the prescribed speed limit otherwise it could have cost me more than a new alloy 😁

• Like 1

19 hours ago, VRS_White_Hatch said:

Fitted the AliExpress battery cover today, it's a perfect fit and looks totally OEM. 

Do you have a link to the cover you bought, a search throws up too many

Took her washing, filled the tank and treated her with some bling 😉

• Small elastic net for the side of the trunk.
  • Little rubber padded shallow shelf for the storage box. Looks like it was designed for the pre-FL Octavia III, but i don't mind the little hole.
  • Leather key cover.
  • Little glow-in-the-dark cover for the ignition switch. Should have went for a black one instead of sliver 😐

IMG_5426.JPG

IMG_5427.JPG

IMG_5428.JPG

IMG_5434.JPG

6 hours ago, VRS_White_Hatch said:

Bonnet Struts.

Got them from aliexpress $18 less a $3 discount as a new customer, so ridiculously cheap. They arrived today and look excellent quality.

I watched a couple of videos on fitting just by googling Octavia bonnet struts then set about it.

You will need a 10mm spanner to remove existing front wing/headlight bolts. 

A Torx T50 to unfasten the bonnet hinge bolts. One of mine was pretty tight - I'm not sure a mole wrench would have shifted it.

Some grease - I used spray white lithium grease from Toolstation.

I also added a couple of steel washers (2 supplied) and rubber washers behind all 4 where they bolt in.

Job took about 30 minutes - which is handy today as I managed it between showers. Now I have that satisfying noise when I lift the bonnet and no messing about with a prop. 

Overall satisfaction 10/10.

IMG_strut2.JPG

IMG_strut1.JPG

Hi, how long did they take to be delivered, site says 20 to 40 days? 

6 minutes ago, NZ100 said:

Hi, how long did they take to be delivered, site says 20 to 40 days? 

Ordered Sept 12th delivered today 28th so 16 days. Not too bad, not something you can claim to need urgently really. Although I was getting a bit impatient and checking the China Post tracking 😁 

• Thanks 1

On 28/09/2019 at 15:51, SashaGrace said:

Next weeks job, it’s hammering with rain now. Want to re coat everything with ceramic before it gets too cold. Inside one of the wheels is badly damaged from evasive pot hole hitting. Bloody farmers!!

On 28/09/2019 at 15:51, SashaGrace said:

What sort of ceramic stuff do you use? How long does it last? 🙂

17 minutes ago, stubev156 said:

What sort of ceramic stuff do you use? How long does it last? 🙂

GTechniq Crystal Serum Light and Exo v4 should give 2 plus years durability and I’ll do the brakes and wheels with KKD revolve for similar durability.

Hit a parked car while avoiding a recovery vehicle that swerved across 2 lanes of traffic.

Thankfully have it all on dashcam and nobody hurt.

What made me laugh was when i moved her after the accident the last warning message was

Top up washer fluid.

Now just hoping chassis is still in alignment

Oh and if you don't have a dashcam. Get one. Too many awful drivers out there who will just drive off.

20190929_120409.jpg

• Sad 8

17 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

GTechniq Crystal Serum Light and Exo v4 should give 2 plus years durability and I’ll do the brakes and wheels with KKD revolve for similar durability.

According to my acredited GTechniq Detailer, GTechniq Crystal Serum Light  as a base layer and  2 coats of Exo v4 should give up to 5  years durability.  That's what I paid for anyway. https://www.jpdetails.co.uk/gtechniq-ceramic-coatings

1 hour ago, stanian said:

GTechniq Crystal Serum Light  as a base layer and  2 coats of Exo v4 should give up to 5  years durability

Not sure if even GTechniq will help buff that out... ☝

• Haha 2