Extreme engine braking DSG ??

47 minutes ago, AlexVicol said:

This codding will just make one condition not be fulfilled and start/stop will be disabled.

To "AlexVicol" -  Which exact condition will be changed with this codding?

Edited by tuningmania

2 minutes ago, tuningmania said:

Wich exact condition will be changed with this codding?

It's smth. about the temperature interval from which start/stop will be activated.

Changing to 292029 will set the temperature interval to smth extreme which will never be accomplished.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikkelvitus said:

Yes but it is just gearchanges. Engine braking just like you would do in a manual car.

1 hour ago, langers2k said:

To be honest, you shouldn't get that much engine braking from a TDi as there isn't a butterfly on the inlet that can be closed like a petrol engine.

What sort of RPM is the engine getting down to before it's downshifting?

In my experience with the DSG (without stop/start) it doesn't generally do rev-matching on downshifts, it just feeds the clutch in. This brings about an engine braking effect due to the engine having to rev back up (same as in a manual if you let in the clutch quickly without rev-matching). It tends to feed in the clutch pretty quickly, especially on the 3->2 downshift and the lurch can be quite noticeable, particularly under braking. The 'box is very predictable and I adapted quite quickly and lift the brake pedal slightly as the downshift arrives to maintain smooth braking.

3 hours ago, langers2k said:

To be honest, you shouldn't get that much engine braking from a TDi as there isn't a butterfly on the inlet that can be closed like a petrol engine.

What sort of RPM is the engine getting down to before it's downshifting?

There's also a chance a previous owner may have had the DSG remapped which could cause more aggressive shifts. Have you got a full autoscan?

Other than V157 which also closes when the engine is turned off. 

Its the flap that gets gummed up cos the EGR port was fitted 180 degrees out which causes all the crud to go straight on the flap. Mod to turn it 180 degrees but you have to file a notch as it’s mechanically coded.

Edited by 3T1704X4

You guys will not achieve much with coding. The connector on battery negative terminal completely disables the recuperation process, verified in my fabia, but you will feel minimal difference, and I mean minimal, almost none. Please note, that LongCoding settings will remain the same, just the system will not work. Also does wonders and as already said it disables Start/Stop useless system without changing the car settings using VCDS or similar.

Face it, you have a big diesel engine under the hood with much higher compression ratio than petrol engines and it will always generate much more stopping power once you let off gas pedal. I have a small 1.2 liter engine and virtually no engine braking. It tries to compensate this with excessive downshifting strategy on downhill drives and revs the engine up to 5k rpm without hesitation. I am forced to drive in manual mode on more steep downhill drives.

Each engine has its good and bad sides, what you choose is up to you, but some things you just have to get used to unfortunately.

VW passats had in the past a setting for DSG called coasting function, but I am not sure if it is still there.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that the engine braking will be there no matter what. But only if i apply brake pressure.

If i go downhill and lift the foot of the accelerator, it will stay in 6'th gear, an do minimal engine braking, but as soon as i start to brake it will upshift, and if i cont. to apply brake pressure it will upshift further. This is in D program.

When i come to a full stop, the most annoying is the upshifts to 3 and 2. which can be felt a lot, as it really brakes the car, I assume the purpose is to spin the alternator, and it takes some time to get used to the heavy braking. This is not what is called brake assist ? That has to do with the actual brake force Im applying n the brakes yes ?

Regaring the Start stop system, i have now installed a small memory device, which really is very nice. It puts the status of the SS system into a little memory, so if the SS system whas off when i last time turned the car off, it will electronically apply the button next time i turn the car on, so that the system again will be disabled.

52 minutes ago, mikkelvitus said:

When i come to a full stop, the most annoying is the upshifts to 3 and 2. which can be felt a lot, as it really brakes the car, I assume the purpose is to spin the alternator, and it takes some time to get used to the heavy braking. This is not what is called brake assist ? That has to do with the actual brake force Im applying n the brakes yes ?

That's my experience in my DSG without start-stop. Like I said before, it happens because the engine is not rev-matching during downshifts. What you are experiencing is the effort needed to accelerate the engine to the revs needed for the lower gear.

When driving without using brakes the DSG feeds the clutch in gently so you don't get the sudden braking effect, but when you are using the brakes it feeds the clutch much faster and you feel it. If you lift the brake pedal slightly during downshifts you won't feel it as much. You will get the same effect in a manual car if you lift the clutch pedal quickly during a downshift.

Brake assist only kicks in during extreme braking manoeuvres: it requires a sudden and significant application of the brake pedal.

I'm on my second Superb with DSG, the first I had for 3 years and it did not feature Start/Stop, the second has it and its now 5 years old (L&K) and these cars do not have recuperative systems fitted at all, that is a system that electric and  hybrid cars have to extend the range a bit more and it takes the electric motor out of drive mode and into charging mode. On a normal engined car there is only the alternator (no electric motor) and the alternator is ALWAYS charging the battery regardless, even at idling speed, there is no way on earth that it can suddenly increase the amount of charge it gives out to the battery, it is controlled exclusively by the battery voltage. That means if the battery voltage is a bit low because you have been using electrical items with the engine switched off, the alternator will once the engine is started output more power to bring the battery back to upto its normal voltage level so that the start/stop system can operate. 

If the battery voltage is to low, the start/stop system will automatically deactivate until the the battery can sustain starting again. Haven't you ever noticed that start/stop system is normally deactivated for the first few minutes after starting the car? This is because the battery has taken a hit starting the engine and needs to replace the charge used in starting the engine before it can switch off and restart automatically.

I think from what you are describing its the gearbox automatically selecting which gear it needs to be in according to your road speed and you should not be experiencing that sudden engine braking effect unless you have nudged the gear lever over into manual mode in which case there does seem to be a marked increase in engine braking as the car will automatically select a lower gear as the car slows down to assist braking effect and of course to ensure that the correct gear is already selected for you ready to drive away again. The only other thing I can think of is you're a driver who brakes at the last minute rather than letting the car slow down on its own and then apply brakes lightly towards the end of the slowing process. If I'm right then the gearbox may being caught out with your rapid acceleration and having to change down 2 gears at a time to try and keep up with the cars road speed, this could be the case if the gearbox is in S mode rather D mode.

Both of my superbs under normal driving the gear shifts have been undetectable apart from watching the gear indicator or the rev counter, they really that silky smooth.

Last week my alternator drive belt snapped and as the car needs battery power to keep the engine management system and drive by wire system and the transmission operational I had to drive to the nearest dealer for assistance. These cars have electric steering and the battery voltage was dropping all the time I was driving it, so I had to switch of the running lights, AC, radio and not use anything electrical unless it was vital, and that included the brake lights so i was forced into manual mode when slowing down and changing down into lower gears to maximise the effect and I can tell you that there is very little effect in 6th, 5th, 4th and 3rd but the moment you can get it into 2nd, the car really slows then.

1 hour ago, Graham Butcher said:

I'm on my second Superb with DSG, the first I had for 3 years and it did not feature Start/Stop, the second has it and its now 5 years old (L&K) and these cars do not have recuperative systems fitted at all, that is a system that electric and  hybrid cars have to extend the range a bit more and it takes the electric motor out of drive mode and into charging mode. On a normal engined car there is only the alternator (no electric motor) and the alternator is ALWAYS charging the battery regardless, even at idling speed, there is no way on earth that it can suddenly increase the amount of charge it gives out to the battery, it is controlled exclusively by the battery voltage. That means if the battery voltage is a bit low because you have been using electrical items with the engine switched off, the alternator will once the engine is started output more power to bring the battery back to upto its normal voltage level so that the start/stop system can operate. 

Well howcome my production specification says regenrative braking system ? I dont think you know what you'r talking about, as this system at braking utilizes engine braking to spin the alternator to charge the battery.

regenerative braking.PNG

@Graham Butcher - it works as a micro-hybrid.

Basically rather than a traditional car that will attempt to keep the battery fully charged at all times, the car will reduce alternator output when the engine power is needed and increase the alternator output to recharge the battery when engine power isn't needed. One of the times power isn't need is during braking, this will cause the alternator to consume more energy and is effectively regenerative braking. That being said, the amount of power it can harvest is significantly less than a proper EV.

There is a brief snippet in VW's SSP 426 (only found the German version) that agrees with the above.

There's also this page from Yuasa https://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technical/micro-hybrid-hybrid-vehicles-explained/ the OP's 2014 car probably counts as micro hybrid 1 and 2 which includes regenerative braking.

3 hours ago, mikkelvitus said:

Well howcome my production specification says regenrative braking system ? I dont think you know what you'r talking about, as this system at braking utilizes engine braking to spin the alternator to charge the battery.

regenerative braking.PNG

Well let me assure you that I do know what I'm talking about because I'm an auto-electrician by qualification  and as far as I know my own car does not have this feature even though it is top of the range Superb L&K with just the full Monty when it comes extras with the exception of keyless entry and ignition and hill hold as I did not want these features. My car is 2013 model, if yours is 2014 then it might well be different. Are driving a Superb or an Octavia because your seem to infer that your talking a Superb but on the member details section of your posts it states Octavia 2.0 tdi DSG, 2005.

Even with regenerative braking, it should not be that noticeable as it only designed to keep the battery fully topped to enable the Start/Stop system to function as many time as it can in order to reduce your Co2 emissions, so if is really noticable, refer it back to the dealer.

Well the Mk3 Octavia Greenline model came with regenerative braking to top up the battery as well as 15mm lower ride height, low rolling resistance tyres pumped up to higher pressures and stop/start to ensure it could achieve 88.3mpg.:clap:

Well let me assure you that I do know what I'm talking about because I'm an auto-electrician by qualification  and as far as I know my own car does not have this feature even though it is top of the range Superb L&K with just the full Monty when it comes extras with the exception of keyless entry and ignition and hill hold as I did not want these features. My car is 2013 model, if yours is 2014 then it might well be different. Are driving a Superb or an Octavia because your seem to infer that your talking a Superb but on the member details section of your posts it states Octavia 2.0 tdi DSG, 2005.

Even with regenerative braking, it should not be that noticeable as it only designed to keep the battery fully topped to enable the Start/Stop system to function as many time as it can in order to reduce your Co2 emissions, so if is really noticable, refer it back to the dealer.

Well from that I can only assume that my superb is a bit more top of the range than Yours, my Superb is MY 2015 (produced late 2014). Model 3T FL. I would advice you to read SSP 426, which i have just found, which describe this system.
My Superb also have the full monty, including, kessy, pano roof, HBA, etc etc. , and also as you can read from production spec taken from my vin, this regenerative braking system. Its a sophisticated system, where both the alternator and battery is connected to lin-bus.

I have not corrected my car in the members section, but on the question if regenerative braking is noticeable, i can assure you it is. If i am going to stop at a red light, its enough for me to just touch the brake pedal 1mm, then the dsg will enginebrake, but also require the alternator to produce high voltage charge, and that demands a lot of power, which further brakes the engine even more. See the ssp.

Im pretty tired discussing this, as it is not a question if the system is present in my car, i originally just wanted to know if it could be disabled, but know i have accomodated to drive with the ekstra brake force. So thanks to all who have contributed with usefull information, instead of trying to judge if it is or not - those people are clearly not up to date with the superb 3T.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Well the Mk3 Octavia Greenline model came with regenerative braking to top up the battery as well as 15mm lower ride height, low rolling resistance tyres pumped up to higher pressures and stop/start to ensure it could achieve 88.3mpg.:clap:

Yes and my Superb is also a greentec version. 2.0 tdi 140 hp DSG with an official fuel comsumption with mixed driving of 56 mpg. I beleive the 3T DSG Combi 140 hp in standard version before the FL have official consumption of 47.7 mpg.

'Official figures' under EU testing in a temperature controlled buildings were fiction, and discredited, and were for comparison and never about real world.

Lots of 'engine management' software and hardware was about getting test results and mpg figures only.

WLTP figures are still questionable and nothing to do with a full car driving around.

WLTP / RDE figures for the same vehicles if there were any done on 2015 vehicles would not show the same results as EU Testing done for those vehicles.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mikkelvitus said:

Well from that I can only assume that my superb is a bit more top of the range than Yours, my Superb is MY 2015 (produced late 2014). Model 3T FL. I would advice you to read SSP 426, which i have just found, which describe this system.
My Superb also have the full monty, including, kessy, pano roof, HBA, etc etc. , and also as you can read from production spec taken from my vin, this regenerative braking system. Its a sophisticated system, where both the alternator and battery is connected to lin-bus.

I have not corrected my car in the members section, but on the question if regenerative braking is noticeable, i can assure you it is. If i am going to stop at a red light, its enough for me to just touch the brake pedal 1mm, then the dsg will enginebrake, but also require the alternator to produce high voltage charge, and that demands a lot of power, which further brakes the engine even more. See the ssp.

Im pretty tired discussing this, as it is not a question if the system is present in my car, i originally just wanted to know if it could be disabled, but know i have accomodated to drive with the ekstra brake force. So thanks to all who have contributed with usefull information, instead of trying to judge if it is or not - those people are clearly not up to date with the superb 3T.

Well the information that I have read is that this feature cannot be overridden on the later models, it can on mine via simple push button next to the gear selector lever. Does you car have a button to deactivate the Start/Stop system if yes then pressing it should light up a indicator on your instrument panel.
As mentioned before, my car suffered a broken alternator drive belt, now fixed by the service agent £386 (I would have done myself apart from I'm retired  and not as fit as I was and I have been watching closely the little plug in voltmeter I purchased and this morning when dropping my family off at their place of work I discovered that it would appear that all cars with Start/Stop system would appear to have a form of regenerative braking, however this is not quite true. When I started the engine, voltmeter was reading 12.2 volts and then it read 12.6 to 12.9 volts and as I approached the first set of traffic lights, I took my foot of the accelerator and the voltmeter shot up to 14.7v on the overrun and this continued even when I applied brakes and then as the car really slowed down the voltage dropped to 12.6v just before the engine stopped. On pull away the volt meter went to 14.5v and remained there for some time and began to decrease again. This process repeated a few times and to test the theory of the regenerative braking, while approaching some more lights at red, slipped the car into Neutral and really coasted for a while and the voltmeter was still reading over 14v.

So from this deduce then that maybe the earlier cars with S/S system have a sophisticated battery / engine load monitoring system installed and in order to maximise the MPG and reduce the CO2 emissions it reduces the alternator output when the engine is reasonably loaded via the transmission so the power is going to the wheels rather then split between the wheels and the alternator, then when the transmission signals that its on the overrun, it also tells the alternator to ramp up its output and this output continues even when the car is coasting.
When the car is sort of in regenerative the amount of braking contribution is extremely small and I was not able to detect in reality so could your car have other issues that are applying extra loading on the movement of the car such as under inflation of the tyres, tight brakes or wheel bearings etc?

Perhaps it might be best to discuss this with your servicing garage who may be able to assist you better?

Well the information that I have read is that this feature cannot be overridden on the later models, it can on mine via simple push button next to the gear selector lever. Does you car have a button to deactivate the Start/Stop system if yes then pressing it should light up a indicator on your instrument panel.
As mentioned before, my car suffered a broken alternator drive belt, now fixed by the service agent £386 (I would have done myself apart from I'm retired  and not as fit as I was and I have been watching closely the little plug in voltmeter I purchased and this morning when dropping my family off at their place of work I discovered that it would appear that all cars with Start/Stop system would appear to have a form of regenerative braking, however this is not quite true. When I started the engine, voltmeter was reading 12.2 volts and then it read 12.6 to 12.9 volts and as I approached the first set of traffic lights, I took my foot of the accelerator and the voltmeter shot up to 14.7v on the overrun and this continued even when I applied brakes and then as the car really slowed down the voltage dropped to 12.6v just before the engine stopped. On pull away the volt meter went to 14.5v and remained there for some time and began to decrease again. This process repeated a few times and to test the theory of the regenerative braking, while approaching some more lights at red, slipped the car into Neutral and really coasted for a while and the voltmeter was still reading over 14v.

Thanks,

I have  button to turn off SS, but as you wrote - the regenerative braking system is not turned off by that. I would really advice you to read this file SSP 426, describing the system, because it also describes a special voltage regulator with the purpose to keep voltage below 12.6 volts in the car, and it also describes the symproms if this regulator is defect, which it may sound as yours is. Taken from the pdf:

As the name voltage stabiliser suggests, it has the task
of stabilising the 12-volt vehicle power supply
(terminal 30) at approx. 12 volts in certain situations,
for example, start/stop operation. This is necessary as
large voltage fluctuations can occur for other
electrical consumers in the vehicle due to the high
starter current in start/stop operation.
Without a voltage stabiliser, unit resets and fault
memory entries, for example, “Vehicle voltage, signal
too low”, can occur in the affected control units. This is
avoided with the help of the voltage stabiliser

SSP+426+++Start+stop+system+'09.pdf

5 hours ago, mikkelvitus said:

Thanks,

I have  button to turn off SS, but as you wrote - the regenerative braking system is not turned off by that. I would really advice you to read this file SSP 426, describing the system, because it also describes a special voltage regulator with the purpose to keep voltage below 12.6 volts in the car, and it also describes the symproms if this regulator is defect, which it may sound as yours is. Taken from the pdf:

As the name voltage stabiliser suggests, it has the task
of stabilising the 12-volt vehicle power supply
(terminal 30) at approx. 12 volts in certain situations,
for example, start/stop operation. This is necessary as
large voltage fluctuations can occur for other
electrical consumers in the vehicle due to the high
starter current in start/stop operation.
Without a voltage stabiliser, unit resets and fault
memory entries, for example, “Vehicle voltage, signal
too low”, can occur in the affected control units. This is
avoided with the help of the voltage stabiliser

SSP+426+++Start+stop+system+'09.pdf 1.16 MB · 2 downloads

It seems that I was indeed wrong to say that my does not have it, it most certainly does have it fitted after all, so you are correct in what you are saying about your car, so I thank you for providing me with evidence in support of your claim, difficult to argue then isn't it? 

So we were both sort of right in different ways, you were right in stating that you had the system and I was right in saying that it did call for slightly different approach to how and when you brake as opposed to a standard car without the technology fitted. It is a extremely clever system to aid the MPG and CO2 reduction, I like it but it did take a bit of getting used to in the first place for me because it seems counter intuitive to turn the engine off when stopping at traffic lights for example. Maybe because of the way I have been trained as a driver to always drive smoothly (used to work in the bus industry and was taught to drive by a bus driver) and have naturally anticipated the need to stop and so have used the cars momentum to make that be as smooth as possible in the interests of passenger comfort, so I never noticed the extra braking effect that the system was affording me because I've let the car overrun the engine and thus used the engine as the brake for a far longer period before touching the brake pedal.

From the Whatcar review of the facelift Superb II :-

"The 1.8 TSI gets engine stop-start, while all diesel models and the 1.4 TSi get this plus energy-recuperation braking. That's why fuel economy is up and CO2 emissions are down across the range."

I've never really noticed any extra engine braking on my manual facelift 1.4 but I do notice that sometimes it stops charging as my boot mounted coolbox plugged in through a voltage sensing split relay turns off - usually during a longish run.

I've left my stop/start so it works as I hardly notice it in operation except for a brief starter motor whir as I push the clutch pedal.

Edited by bigjohn

Thanks all for replying.

As a little cuoriosum, i can say, that Start Stop system really annoys me. Esp. with DSG gear, and now Im talking about that the engine turns off at a stop. It is not near fast enough when i remove the foot from the brake and want to set off.  And i ALWAYS forgetting to turn the system off, when i drive.

So i have bought this little STOP START memory module, thats remembers the state of the system between ignition cycles, so if it was off when i shut the car off, it will be off the next time i start the car. It also have a "service mode", which is triggered by a long press on the button, which will turn the memory off, nd therefore always have the system on when starting the car (Good when your going to MOT). Its very proff. made, a little smd print 2*3 cm, 3 wires which jus have to be clamped on the wires from the button - it takes below 10 minutes to install. 

15 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

It seems that I was indeed wrong to say that my does not have it, it most certainly does have it fitted after all, so you are correct in what you are saying about your car, so I thank you for providing me with evidence in support of your claim, difficult to argue then isn't it? 

So we were both sort of right in different ways, you were right in stating that you had the system and I was right in saying that it did call for slightly different approach to how and when you brake as opposed to a standard car without the technology fitted. It is a extremely clever system to aid the MPG and CO2 reduction, I like it but it did take a bit of getting used to in the first place for me because it seems counter intuitive to turn the engine off when stopping at traffic lights for example. Maybe because of the way I have been trained as a driver to always drive smoothly (used to work in the bus industry and was taught to drive by a bus driver) and have naturally anticipated the need to stop and so have used the cars momentum to make that be as smooth as possible in the interests of passenger comfort, so I never noticed the extra braking effect that the system was affording me because I've let the car overrun the engine and thus used the engine as the brake for a far longer period before touching the brake pedal.

It is actually when you drive smooth that the recuperation system is most noticable. If you brake medium hard to a red light, you wont notice it. But if you just brake smooth, then you will feel the upshifts from the dsg, esp. when it goes into 2. gear, it releses the clutch pretty slam on. In this week i will get the dsg software updated, it seems that there is 2 versions (4018 and 4021, im cur. at 4016), and maybe they will change the behaviour a bit.

16 minutes ago, mikkelvitus said:

It is actually when you drive smooth that the recuperation system is most noticable. If you brake medium hard to a red light, you wont notice it. But if you just brake smooth, then you will feel the upshifts from the dsg, esp. when it goes into 2. gear, it releses the clutch pretty slam on.

I assume you mean downshifts. How/why would energy recuperation system cause the DSG to downshift aggressively?

It sounds like your DSG isn't being particularly subtle. Getting the DSG software updated should remove any potential 'DSG remap' a previous owner might have had done. I'd also suggest you run through all the DSG basic settings and clutch adaptions after the update to give it the best chance of working smoothly.

You might also want to check the engine ECU software version too as there might be updates to help smooth out engine braking/downshifts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikkelvitus said:

It is actually when you drive smooth that the recuperation system is most noticable. If you brake medium hard to a red light, you wont notice it. But if you just brake smooth, then you will feel the upshifts from the dsg, esp. when it goes into 2. gear, it releses the clutch pretty slam on. In this week i will get the dsg software updated, it seems that there is 2 versions (4018 and 4021, im cur. at 4016), and maybe they will change the behaviour a bit.

I'm on whatever version the car came with and this morning I let the car almost come a rest without any brake input until the final moment and was silky smooth through right down to a stop. The changes both up and down the gears are supposed to silky smooth as this is a car that sits in the luxury end of the market, especially in Skoda's portfolio. Both of my cars, both with DSG have been this way from new and the only time the gear change was noticeable was on a savage kick down once or twice for a really rapid overtake. Everyone who has been for a ride in my cars has remarked how smooth the gear changes have been and unless you're really paying attention to the engine note and or the rev counter do you know when a gear change has taken place. The same is true when coming to a halt or slowing down, regardless of if the brakes have been used or not, each time the gearbox changes down a gear, the system automatically matches the engine revs so there is no notable difference in the car.

You really do need to get your car checked over because if your car is different, then either there is something wrong or the DSG or engine mapping has been altered, maybe the ECU has been remapped to provide greater BHP and has not been done very well but your local dealer should be able to tell with their plug-in diagnostic tool. As to your device to override the SS system I personally would not have done that, I have not any issues with the system apart from the very rare occasion when the engine has stopped and then is called on to start again almost instantly, then there is a slight hesitation, but normally you can pre-empt the engine starting by watching what is happening around you and lifting your foot very slowly off the brake until the engine kicks in again, without lifting your foot off completely, then when its your turn to pull away, remove your foot completely. If you forget to reset it for the MOT or if the tester detects you have it fitted you may get a failure because of the CO2 cheat you have fitted.      

• Like 1