190 TSI, anyone?

Not much discussion about the 190 on here, it all seems to be 1.4/1.5 and vRS! (sorry I'm not mentioning diesels, my diesel days are well behind me now)

Does anyone have one and how are you finding it??

I've got one by the way, Jan 19 190 DSG SEL, and looking for like minded individuals! 😀

• Like 1

Not read much about that model. I thought the 1.4/1.5Tsi was intended to replace the 1.8l and other non VRs models.

1 hour ago, gregoir said:

Not read much about that model. I thought the 1.4/1.5Tsi was intended to replace the 1.8l and other non VRs models.

It's the brand new 2.0Tsi 190Ps.

For me the 2.0 190 offers some major improvements over the 1.5TSi 150.

Yes there's the power increase from 150 to 190 but also the jump in torque from 250NM to 320NM which also means you get the superior new 7 speed wet clutch DSG.

And I believe independent rear suspension in place of the torsion beam.

Edited by logiclee

I have one, an estate (in the right colour ;) ) and 4x4. Bought via an on-line broker, it arrived on 18th April after a 12 week or so wait. It took us to Scotland for a week soon after delivery. Not had dsg before, but got used to it pretty quickly. I had a 1.4 tsi 4x4 Yeti before this (150ps) on a PCH lease, so can compare the engine and power. Although the 1.4 was a nice engine, quiet and smooth, it gave poor mpg for an engine of that size, needing a fairly heavy right foot to make reasonably fast progress (mind you that had a manual box and the aerodynamics of a Yeti are not exactly class leading!). The 190ps engine, with the direct shift box, beats the smaller engine's mpg, has lots of low rev power for relaxed but swift progress. And rapid progress if needed - or desired :) . For the week in Scotland, including motorway there and back with two bikes on a tow bar rack and loaded with an inflatable canoe, electric outboard engine etc, it averaged nearly 36 mpg.  With mainly urban short runs otherwise so far, it's reporting about 32 mpg.  I've not driven a vRS so I can't compare, but I presume the ride is softer and handling won't be as strong. But the powerful engine and suspension set up suits me. It's typically still fairly firm, but not harsh and is comfortable, and...it's pretty quick without feeling in any way stressed, so it's a great high speed cruiser. I don't like the stop/start system with the dsg - it sometimes stops the engine before the car is stationary when lightly braking. Did this when slowing sown to walking pace to negotiate a car park speed bump. I tend to turn it off because of this. I haven't towed with it yet, but think it will do very nicely - the Yeti was fine hauling a small boat on an unbraked trailer so it's all well within towing limits. Came on Hankook Venti S1 Evo 2 tyres, which would not have been my first choice. They seem competent enough, but aren't the quietest on some surfaces - although I don't find it a problem at all. 

190PSinGalloway.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ian_feel_keepin_it_reel said:

The offered this engine choice  with SEL spec 2 weeks after I ordered my 1.5... 

I would have gone for it if it had been available. At the time you could only get it with the k&l spec which is silly money imo. 

That's a pain in the proverbial....and you're right that the L&K is expensive. The SEL, with a few things added that I needed, especially spare wheel, winter pack and tow bar, has a decent spec. I prefer alcantara seats too. I was struggling to find a petrol 4x4 until this model came along. Although I liked the Yeti, the boot was too small so I wasn't interested in purchasing at the end of the pch contract. 

Edited by Sweephand

I still have its predecessor, the 1.8tsi 4x4. I had to jump through many hoops to get it in the UK, but it was worth it as there was not much that ticked all the boxes I needed. It still ticks those boxes and I will have it for a while to come. As a concept it is a good combination.

The new gearbox is worth having, however I would like to see how this engine (being quite different) performs over the longer term, I still don't like the new front so I will be sticking with what I have but it is good the petrol 4x4 is being offered here now.

Even without the 4x4 I think it will be a good option (as said above) even if only for the better suspension and gearbox. Not everyone wants a vRS

I think the new 190hp 2.0tsi 'only' has direct injection as opposed to the vRS and even the last 1.8tsi having dual direct and port injection??

If the above statement is true it seems that VW are moving from the dual injection option just as other manufacturers are introducing it (eg Ford Focus 1.5tsi three cylinder).

3 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

I think the new 190hp 2.0tsi 'only' has direct injection as opposed to the vRS and even the last 1.8tsi having dual direct and port injection??

If the above statement is true it seems that VW are moving from the dual injection option just as other manufacturers are introducing it (eg Ford Focus 1.5tsi three cylinder).

The 2.0 Tsi 190 is a Gen3 EA888 engine and there are many differences to improve efficiency. The main difference is the engine runs on a modified Miller cycle known as the Budack cycle.

4 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

You're right that the latest 'B' (Budack' cycle) version of the Gen 3 engine doesn't have port injection. 

If it ever became available with a manual gearbox I would be tempted - particularly given how untempting the 1.5TSI and its associated engine management problems is. 

• Like 1

Just recieved a Kodiaq 190TSI and I cant believe how good this engine is, I get better fuel economy in this car after a week of ownership than after 30000 km in the Octavia Scout 1.8TSI. 

This engine and the DQ-381 is a God-like combination - in any VAG car.

I also have a 2019 Kodiaq with the ea888 gen 3b 2.0 TSi and my one has both direct and port injection, I’ve had a look and you can see the low pressure fuel rail and injectors.

The good thing about this set up is that it minimises inlet valve contamination that can plague direct injection engines.

the engine is generally quiet and smooth unless pushed and I’ve once managed over 50mpg on a run though I’m averaging  38.2mpg tank to tank.

I was impressed with the 1.0 Tsi in the Octy and thought it punched well above it weight!

• Like 2

Glad to see everyone is quite positive about the 190.

So far so good. I picked mine up pre-reg with 7 miles on the clock in February.

It's no vRS but it can shift well enough when in S mode and is reasonably economical, I get ~35 MPG around town/journey to work and 

up to 50 MPG on a long steady run.

On 26/05/2019 at 16:19, TheWanderer said:

Sounds like it would or could be a good compromise for those who want a bit of performance, but not the outright goon power and costs of the RS. 

This was my thinking too, but like @Octy0GG I prefer a manual car, which is why I had also been thinking about the new Focus Estate, for which you can get a 182 hp, manual engine

I was chatting to one of the salesmen in our local Skoda dealership the other week. He said that for all the time that this 190TSi engine has been available on the Octy, not 1 person has asked about it in detail or ordered one - and I think he included the other 2 branches of the dealership in that.

15 minutes ago, Wet Kipper said:

This was my thinking too, but like @Octy0GG I prefer a manual car, which is why I had also been thinking about the new Focus Estate, for which you can get a 182 hp, manual engine

I was chatting to one of the salesmen in our local Skoda dealership the other week. He said that for all the time that this 190TSi engine has been available on the Octy, not 1 person has asked about it in detail or ordered one - and I think he included the other 2 branches of the dealership in that.

Here in Australia sales of manuals have been very low compared to autos for some years and manufacturers have responded by steadily reducing their availability.

Skoda manual is only offered in the most basic, local base motor (1.0tsi) Fabia, and (1.4tsi) Octavia.

Be a shame if lack of a manual for my chosen engine is the reason I leave Skoda.

23 hours ago, Greenliner1 said:

I also have a 2019 Kodiaq with the ea888 gen 3b 2.0 TSi and my one has both direct and port injection, I’ve had a look and you can see the low pressure fuel rail and injectors.

That's interesting - I couldn't find any on-line reference to the 3b engine having this, only assertions that it doesn't.  Is it easy to see, or do things have to be removed first? 

@Sweephand if you take the engine dressing cover off you can see the high pressure fuel pump (HPF) on the right hand side, it has a high pressure stainless output and a low pressure output to a plastic distributor bar for the  port injection. This is not present if the port injection is removed.

there are a number of threads on the Superb forum as it was removed on the 272 PS but not that I can see on the 190 with GPFs.

I’ll try to get a photo and post later if I get a chance.

• Thanks 1

Kodiaq ea888 gen 3b 2.0 Tsi 190 with GPF definitely has MPI see my photo below, the black plastic rail feeds the port injectors.

The Superb MPI topic is here, there is a photo of a S3 engine further down and you’ll see the parts for the MPI are missing.

So if you have a 2.0 TSI and have the black plastic rail shown below you have the MPI and shouldn’t suffer from intake valve issues mentioned in the post.

You can just see the red / purple wires going to one of the port injectors on the left hand side beneath the fuelling rail.

26BA6228-FBCC-4C9C-AC8F-831A6A6F68AD.jpeg

31FFAD79-60C8-41E2-8FD3-5F229EF4FD9F.jpeg

Edited by Greenliner1
Extra note on injector
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1