Fuel Leak!

@Peskyparttimers, sorry to heat about your problem, I'm afraid that I'd be "quite" annoyed if that ever happens to any cars I or my family and friends drive!

Magnetic stainless steel, from an engineering point of view, maybe it is a good thing that these bolts are exhibiting some ferro magnetism as that probably leads to this stainless steel alloy being stronger than most non-ferro magnetic stainless steel alloys - which is why these cap head bolts are marked 8.8 as they will have similar strength to high tensile steel bolts of that size.

I had not noticed that they were magnetic until you mentioned it and I went out and checked the set of new bolts that I have bought but not used yet. Other A2 and A4 bolts, screws and nuts I have are certainly not exhibiting any ferro magnetic tendencies. 

I would hope that some government standards department would show some interest in this problem and take VW Group's approach to it not to be good enough, but how to make initial contact to the correct department, the service history of any vehicles involved does not sound like being relevant in this sort of problem as these bolts tend to be out of view and out of easy reach - so the only in service fix for this would be to replace these bolts and even the seals on a general recall program and mark up the service pack either physically or digitally, it sounds like VW Group through its engine builder Skoda, do know about this problem and the engine plant time frame that this error could have taken place, and so serial numbers of engines, both 1.2TSI and 1.4TSI involved.

I have not worked out VW Group intended the locking of these bolts to work, I just guessed that the seals in the injectors would in essence provide enough damping to be enough - they must have tested all this out and so far it seems like engines built out with this problem period in production are not having any problems with these bolts.

How much did you remove from that engine to get to these bolts and the fuel rail, I had considered splitting the water cooled section away from the inlet assembly, but maybe that makes no sense? ( I still plan to replace these bolts one at a time with the fuel rail depressurised, really just to prove that that engine in my wife's car does not end up with this fuel leakage)

4 minutes ago, rum4mo said:

@Peskyparttimers, sorry to heat about your problem, I'm afraid that I'd be "quite" annoyed if that ever happens to any cars I or my family and friends drive!

Magnetic stainless steel, from an engineering point of view, maybe it is a good thing that these bolts are exhibiting some ferro magnetism as that probably leads to this stainless steel alloy being stronger than most non-ferro magnetic stainless steel alloys - which is why these cap head bolts are marked 8.8 as they will have similar strength to high tensile steel bolts of that size.

I had not noticed that they were magnetic until you mentioned it and I went out and checked the set of new bolts that I have bought but not used yet. Other A2 and A4 bolts, screws and nuts I have are certainly not exhibiting any ferro magnetic tendencies. 

I would hope that some government standards department would show some interest in this problem and take VW Group's approach to it not to be good enough, but how to make initial contact to the correct department, the service history of any vehicles involved does not sound like being relevant in this sort of problem as these bolts tend to be out of view and out of easy reach - so the only in service fix for this would be to replace these bolts and even the seals on a general recall program and mark up the service pack either physically or digitally, it sounds like VW Group through its engine builder Skoda, do know about this problem and the engine plant time frame that this error could have taken place, and so serial numbers of engines, both 1.2TSI and 1.4TSI involved.

I have not worked out VW Group intended the locking of these bolts to work, I just guessed that the seals in the injectors would in essence provide enough damping to be enough - they must have tested all this out and so far it seems like engines built out with this problem period in production are not having any problems with these bolts.

How much did you remove from that engine to get to these bolts and the fuel rail, I had considered splitting the water cooled section away from the inlet assembly, but maybe that makes no sense? ( I still plan to replace these bolts one at a time with the fuel rail depressurised, really just to prove that that engine in my wife's car does not end up with this fuel leakage)

We managed to pull the inlet manifold forward far enough to get to the injector rail but it was a struggle! 

No joy from Skoda UK, denying all responsiblity and they treat you like you are stupid. I'd have settled for the parts at no cost and fixed it ourselves. Really not happy as had this happened 5 minutes earlier the car would have been on a busy 60mph road and almost certainly have gone up in smoke.

I have been intouch with skoda twice now and voiced my concern of the safty aspect of this problem and the cost to rectify as the car had to be taken on the back of breakdown as not driveable ,it being my only way of getting around being disabled with ms cant afford to pay out that amount to fix probably my last vehicle they said they would look into it and get back to me in 24 hours im not making any excuses its just the way it is we will see what rhey say and the fact just had to replace all 4 tyres ,not a happy bunny at the mo.

10 minutes ago, Hoppalong said:

I have been intouch with skoda twice now and voiced my concern of the safty aspect of this problem and the cost to rectify as the car had to be taken on the back of breakdown as not driveable ,it being my only way of getting around being disabled with ms cant afford to pay out that amount to fix probably my last vehicle they said they would look into it and get back to me in 24 hours im not making any excuses its just the way it is we will see what rhey say and the fact just had to replace all 4 tyres ,not a happy bunny at the mo.

Did you write to them or go through the "live chat" thing on their website? Think I am going to have to send them a letter....

Just now, Peskyparttimers said:

Did you write to them or go through the "live chat" thing on their website? Think I am going to have to send them a letter....

We also have tyre issues, tread like new but cracked in the bottom of the treads. Car has only done 20k miles.

This has become a rather long thread since I posted in July 2020.

The Danish equivalent of AA told me that I should be happy that Skoda split the bill 50-50 with me as the car was no longer in warranty.

They also said that many other auto manufacturers would just say: Tough luck!

Nevertheless, the VAG group of brands seem to have spread this problem to several countries in Europe and Mexico.

One member here has posted about his SEAT in Mexico, others in Europe and the U.K. have posted about VW Polos, and Skoda Fabia and Skoda Octavia,

I do wonder how many non-english speaking owners of similar cars have had similar experiences with this problem.

The two latest posters have described tyre problems.

It would be interesting to know which brand of tyres that have the cracks.

Mine lasted about 25,000 miles. The treads were not worn entirely down but the right front tyre came too close to a high granite curb puncturing the sidewall.

Best regards from Denmark.

13 hours ago, Eric_DK said:

This has become a rather long thread since I posted in July 2020.

The Danish equivalent of AA told me that I should be happy that Skoda split the bill 50-50 with me as the car was no longer in warranty.

They also said that many other auto manufacturers would just say: Tough luck!

Nevertheless, the VAG group of brands seem to have spread this problem to several countries in Europe and Mexico.

One member here has posted about his SEAT in Mexico, others in Europe and the U.K. have posted about VW Polos, and Skoda Fabia and Skoda Octavia,

I do wonder how many non-english speaking owners of similar cars have had similar experiences with this problem.

The two latest posters have described tyre problems.

It would be interesting to know which brand of tyres that have the cracks.

Mine lasted about 25,000 miles. The treads were not worn entirely down but the right front tyre came too close to a high granite curb puncturing the sidewall.

Best regards from Denmark.

Dunlop SP Sport Maxes on our, still on factory fitted tyres. You would think Dunlop would be better than that!

DSC08731.JPG

Hi there,

I seem to be in the same situation as most people in this chat. I have a 2017 1.2 TSI SE L Fabia. On the way to dropping off my partner, the EPC light came on, and a strong smell of fuel through the A/C. Same result as everyone, pool of fuel, auto stop start error, spraying fuel when you turnover the engine,and the inability to drive my car. 

I got it towed to Skoda Warrington, as it was the closest one. The RAC man, said that the fuel injector has gone. I have "used warranty ", with the car through the previous owner of the car, and Skoda said they'll look into it, but might not be till may 5th. They can't offer me a courtesy car or anything to make up for the lack of vehicle. I have only owned the car since February 2021, but purchased it through trust ford Stockport.  It's also been making a squeaking noise around the front left wheel at any speed below 30. Has anyone else had that issue?

Cheers,

James.

Just now, Jamessk9 said:

Hi there,

I seem to be in the same situation as most people in this chat. I have a 2017 1.2 TSI SE L Fabia. On the way to dropping off my partner, the EPC light came on, and a strong smell of fuel through the A/C. Same result as everyone, pool of fuel, auto stop start error, spraying fuel when you turnover the engine,and the inability to drive my car. 

I got it towed to Skoda Warrington, as it was the closest one. The RAC man, said that the fuel injector has gone. I have "used warranty ", with the car through the previous owner of the car, and Skoda said they'll look into it, but might not be till may 5th. They can't offer me a courtesy car or anything to make up for the lack of vehicle. I have only owned the car since February 2021, but purchased it through trust ford Stockport.  It's also been making a squeaking noise around the front left wheel at any speed below 30. Has anyone else had that issue?

Cheers,

James.

As well, I have warranty for this car with trustford, and Skoda. Who do I let settle this huge issue?

I'd be talking to the dealership that you bought it from, which will be your Ford dealer, it will be them that provided the used car warranty and them that you have an issue with for that car failing so soon after you bought it.

Does that warranty provide a loan car, I'd doubt it, but no harm in contacting them about this asap as you were in no position to truck it or drive it back to them.

Edit:- I'm assuming that any extra Skoda warranty that that car had, if in deed it still had when sold, would have run out or is soon to run out, otherwise Trust Ford would not need to have given you a used car warranty.

Edited by rum4mo

9 hours ago, rum4mo said:

I'd be talking to the dealership that you bought it from, which will be your Ford dealer, it will be them that provided the used car warranty and them that you have an issue with for that car failing so soon after you bought it.

Does that warranty provide a loan car, I'd doubt it, but no harm in contacting them about this asap as you were in no position to truck it or drive it back to them.

Edit:- I'm assuming that any extra Skoda warranty that that car had, if in deed it still had when sold, would have run out or is soon to run out, otherwise Trust Ford would not need to have given you a used car warranty.

Hi run4mo,

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately I had to get it towed to Skoda Warrington, as that was the furthest RAC could tow me without charging an arm and a leg. I have tried contacting trustford about this, with the promise of a callback, but no one has gotten back to me.

Skoda had said previously I have a years warranty with them. Sorry, I probably didn't make that clear in the last post.

As well, both companies are supposed to give me courtesy car in this situation. Trustford won't out of covid, and Skoda have said all of theirs is fully booked. So I've had to lose shifts because of this.

It's a bloody disgrace that anyone should have to be inconvenienced or fork out a penny of their own cash to sort out this dangerous fault. 

Car manufacturers being what they are though, we probably have to wait for someone to die in a fireball in one of these cars before a recall occurs. 

Disgusts me.

• Like 4

I have no intention of paying a penny towards this repair. Not when it's a defect that leads to petrol spraying on a hot engine that can cause combustion. Especially when there's multiple accounts of it with the same models built at the same time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jamessk9 said:

Trustford won't out of covid

I'll bet that, if you read the warranty documents, there is no such exemption in them.

Edited by KenONeill

I could be wrong, but I thought that all main dealerships of all major car marques kept a small bit of "slack" in their workshop loading, maybe even paid to operate like that, to be able to attend to this sort of "in warranty" breakdown situation, okay that would not stop the owner being carless for maybe a day while they sourced parts, but it would mean they got better/quicker attention than just any old "walk in breakdown".

The paying for this repair will initially be the only way that you get your car back quickly, after that, time to get tough/rough with VW Group and after a rejection letter to your letter requesting a refund, time to use other means, but make sure you issue them a letter and get a letter back.

Edit:- in this case that Skoda main dealer is not helping you as a customer as you are not their customer, but they should be helping you as a Skoda owner!

Edited by rum4mo

Fixed ours ourselves in the end, Skoda unhelpful and couldn't look at it for a week plus not prepared to recover it to the dealership 20 miles away. Cost £55 for the injector seal kits (which are much cheaper if you can find a Bosch agent rather than paying Skoda's profit margin). Fiddly horrible job but two of us did it in 3 hours. Replaced the crap bolts with 10.9 high tensile cap heads (steel not stainless). We also levelled up the retaining lugs on the fuel rail which were 2mm out of allignment. Shoddy manufacture and production methods to blame for this failure but Skoda not really interested.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Have been sifting through this thread, trying to see how many people have had exactly the same issue with a sheared bolt head on the fuel rail,

With a pattern forming, and all these complaints, how are Skoda UK not taking this seriously?!

Just look at the trails and puddles my Spaceback left behind, when I parked it briefly to go into the garage to do the paperwork.

(Partly obscured by my friend's Vauxhall, as he shadowed me on my tentative drive to the garage).

I've just posted details of my fuel rail failure under: Major Fuel Leak - Due to bolts shearing on the fuel injector rail assembly

I'll be citing the number of complaints on this forum in my letter to Skoda, to try and get my replacement parts refunded, at the very least.

I anyone has been successful in getting compensation/goodwill gesture from Skoda on this, please let me know.

P

Trails and Puddles.jpg

28 minutes ago, PaulTheCat said:

Hello,

Have been sifting through this thread, trying to see how many people have had exactly the same issue with a sheared bolt head on the fuel rail,

With a pattern forming, and all these complaints, how are Skoda UK not taking this seriously?!

Just look at the trails and puddles my Spaceback left behind, when I parked it briefly to go into the garage to do the paperwork.

(Partly obscured by my friend's Vauxhall, as he shadowed me on my tentative drive to the garage).

I've just posted details of my fuel rail failure under: Major Fuel Leak - Due to bolts shearing on the fuel injector rail assembly

I'll be citing the number of complaints on this forum in my letter to Skoda, to try and get my replacement parts refunded, at the very least.

I anyone has been successful in getting compensation/goodwill gesture from Skoda on this, please let me know.

P

Trails and Puddles.jpg

On 21/04/2021 at 20:58, Hoppalong said:

Paul,

Have you noticed that the problem has been reported in other countries besides the U.K.?

I live in Denmark and I recall reading about at least one car in Mexico.

My post in this thread from October 2020 includes the technical details my Skoda authorized mechanic gave me about the problem.

The mechanic charged me half the normal price for the labor and parts and I suspect they were compensated by the Danish Skoda importer.

Best regards from Denmark

• Like 1