No dedicated HVAC controls

eksa

On 25/12/2019 at 01:45, silver1011 said:

Unfortunately the air recirculation mode is not one of the physical shortcut buttons under the infotainment screen.

You will first need to press the physical 'CLIMA' button (B) to bring up the Climatronic settings on the infotainment screen...

image.png.e800c05b8ba2795c2bc4cc08e2289bdc.png

image.png.575ef311a5cb28d962f177e1bac75bc0.png

image.png.ef68f9bc1d0024b2e3fc57f7822b779c.png

From here you can then press the touch screen 'air recirculation' icon...

image.png.8f1fcc1b3b4a0c094a284c5b5fcd2414.png

So two presses now, instead of one.

Problem is: if they didn't add a "no override mode" it won't keep your recirc. setting,  it will override it and shut it off frequently especially in cold weather, so you will have to activate it again and again from the screen. It will be very distracting.

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/12/2019 at 22:45, silver1011 said:

Unfortunately the air recirculation mode is not one of the physical shortcut buttons under the infotainment screen.

You will first need to press the physical 'CLIMA' button (B) to bring up the Climatronic settings on the infotainment screen...

Is this really from the Octy Mk4 manual/guide? I only ask as if this is then I reckon I will also be looking elsewhere. I was seriously thinking about changing to a Mk 4 but as my podgy digit cannot hit the right screen button on the MIB1 when it decides to have a bad hair day,  changing or/losing settings all by itself then I would have no chance on this setup! Put in a few road bumps or poor surface and God knows what I will switch on or off! Decent buttons and knobs in view are common sense. Bad or dangerous move in my opinion.

On 24/12/2019 at 22:45, silver1011 said:

Is this really from the Octy Mk4 manual/guide? I only ask as if this is then I reckon I will also be looking elsewhere. I was seriously thinking about changing to a Mk 4 but as my podgy digit cannot hit the right screen button on the MIB1 when it decides to have a bad hair day,  changing or/losing settings all by itself then I would have no chance on this setup! Put in a few road bumps or poor surface and God knows what I will switch on or off! Decent buttons and knobs in view are common sense. Bad or dangerous move in my opinion.

See, I cannot even hit the submit button once, perhaps Colin would kindle delete the duplicate post

Edited by ajw1100
Finger trouble...........

Checked both UK and Skoda.com manual downloads, latest version on both is 2019/7 with a 340 page download, is that the Mk4 2020 model ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/02/2020 at 20:54, abaxas said:

FFS just give me a knob that I turn to make me hotter or colder.
A button for re-circulation for when I'm behind an old dirty diesel.
A button that makes the aircon work.
A switch so I can select how much blow I want.
And....

A f'in dial that controls where the air comes out from.

I don't want to have to play angry birds everytime I want to change the heater.

I suppose everyone is different but in contrast, barring the front windscreen demist button I rarely if ever touch my HVAC controls.

I set the temperature as I like it (21.5) and leave it. 

Auto recirculation works reasonably well when behind nasty vehicles, I can't remember the last time I had to manually switch it on. 

Aircon is just on permanently.

I let Auto control how much air to blow and where to achieve the temperature it's already set to.

It all just works and gets on with things in the background without input required from me. 

VW/Skoda have obviously decided (or presumably found via research) more people are 'set and forget' type users as I am and so saw opportunities to reduce manufacturing costs by making it all software. 

11 minutes ago, Kenai said:

Auto recirculation works reasonably well when behind nasty vehicles, I can't remember the last time I had to manually switch it on.

My experience of auto recirculation is quite different, it seems to work OK for old smelly petrol vehicles but does nothing when behind a smoky stinky diesel - so I use the recirculation button quite a lot!

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/02/2020 at 23:28, ZacDaMan72 said:

You don't have to buy the car then do you?

No we don't.

That however will be bad for skoda if the number of purchases drops, or the accident rate in the car is significantly up as a percentage of cars sold.

Having had a mk1, mk2 and mk3 octavia... if a physical recirc button doesn't appear, then I won't be buying a mk4.

It's probably one of the most pressed buttons, so they decide to hide it in favour of say driving modes or park assist modes.

Either of those two (Most likely park assist) could be suck under the quick set menu, as you press that when you're stationary.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The new Golf is the same - maybe VAG are aiming at a different driver demographic. Worked with the Honda Civic - oh hang on.......

Must admit had been looking at the mkIV - once the new model had bedded in that is. But I think it's off the menu now - especially as mrs bigjohn is a fully paid up member of the Luddite society.

I might look at the Kamiq (I liked driving it and it still has a mechanical handbrake and separate physical heater controls) but boy does it get expensive after you add a few options - it's especially expensive when you consider it's based on Fabia under pinning’s.

Will confess after decades in VAG cars - it's a Ford that has caught my attention. The Puma looks interesting and even in a lower Titanium spec it comes with all I potentially need,

Honda have just reverted back to physical heating and ventilation controls on the Jazz, but then if there was ever a car that appeals to a particular demographic... 😂

article-2669501-1F1D153900000578-375_634x475.jpg.fce0856cf8a0ffa723ca3f23f456406c.jpg

Edited by silver1011

On 16/04/2020 at 21:59, silver1011 said:

Honda have just reverted back to physical heating and ventilation controls on the Jazz, but then if there was ever a car that appeals to a particular demographic... 😂

article-2669501-1F1D153900000578-375_634x475.jpg.fce0856cf8a0ffa723ca3f23f456406c.jpg

We, (SWMBO & I...) are senior citizens too, should we replace the ancient (but much loved) Superb &/or the pair of Golf R's with a OAP special, such as a Toyota CHR? (My even older cousin has one of those, we know that we wouldn't be happy with one.......).

If Skoda would / could sell a Mk. 4 Octy vRS with 4WD, DSG & a 250ps TSi lump, I'd probably trade-in the Superb, but that's probably never going to be available in the UK. 

13 minutes ago, old newbie2 said:

If Skoda would / could sell a Mk. 4 Octy vRS with 4WD, DSG & a 250ps TSi lump, I'd probably trade-in the Superb, but that's probably never going to be available in the UK. 

I'd buy a O4 vRS with that spec too...

• 3 months later...

Having looked at the down loaded owners manual, everything on the touch screens seems a retrograde step to me and far too complicated and I`m 53. But would need to try it out before I decided where it was for me.

Otherwise its run mine until it wears out or get one of the last Mk3s.  Or look elsewhere. Didnt like the Kamiq as a courtesy car and the Golf 8 will be very similar to Octavia 4. 

I have a 3008 GTLine as a company car and can confirm the lack of physical buttons to use the climate control is a massive pain. You have to look at the screen to use it. Isn't this why mobile phones are banned? Massive safety flaw. The plus the 3008 has is the screen is eye level, not sure the Skoda is? Anyway I won't be switching to the one. Big Skoda fan too 😞

• Like 1

The only thing I hate about this car is that it does not have dedicated HVAC controls.

I agree it is a nuisance.

I was expecting it to be, tbh.

Edited by OctaviaMK4

How did they think that these tiny buttons can be pressed while driving?  look at the recirculate button, it is so small and placed among ac, sync, temp up and heated seat buttons so you have to focus on this screen while driving and your fingertip has to be very precise to press the correct button.

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eksa said:

How did they think that these tiny buttons can be pressed while driving?  look at the recirculate button, it is so small and placed among ac, sync, temp up and heated seat buttons so you have to focus on this screen while driving and your fingertip has to be very precise to press the correct button.

Capture.PNG

I have added the recirculation as a shortcut from the drop-down menu. I start the car swipe down I have Air recirculation, Air Care