Living With A Sportline Plus 272 Hatch

6 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

I said a prayer for you in Church and all those that have never sinned (80mph brigade).

Quit with the religious diatribe, shy, as a Catholic I find it both highly distasteful and sickening.

I have very personal reasons for despising reckless speeders. Three innocent deaths, to be precise, caused by someone who was late for work. The guilty party got away with just a broken leg, a get out of jail free card due to a lazy biased judge and dirty tricks defence lawyer and some sick boasting on Facebook. While my sister and her two lady friends who were killed in the most horrific way while travelling at just 30mph (speedo froze on impact) to do some Christmas shopping leaving several young  children to grow up without their mothers and in the case of my sister without their father too, as he had died a few months earlier.

The speeder was doing only about 78mph in a 60 limit compared to your 138, he hit head on.

If you had seen the physical aftermath of that accident, or of many others where speeding is involved with, or even had to go to a morgue for police identification purposes I think you would learn a very valuable lesson in life. 

It affected many other lives, the first aiders who tried in vain to save them in the initial minutes all had to move place of work as they could no longer stand to work near the scene of the crash, such was the trauma involved.

I don't care if you kill yourself satisfying your ego, it's the innocents I care about.

That is my last word on this thread, and likely the last I'm likely to make on Briskoda for the foreseeable future.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

94BBCB88-6A60-44BE-90F4-AAED72B5C723.jpeg

D6855DF6-5CC3-42C4-A0BC-D7E480EF5E10.jpeg

Matching averages! ( nearly)  used to get that on a previous car 22mph = 22mpg, 24mph gave 24mpg.

Have you pLayed with eco turned off. does it help much when you are constantly moving?   My best consumption is single carriageway A roads, lots of lifting and coasting to corners all around 40-60mph. Havibg fun getting bsck to speed doesnt seem to be too punative. ( apart from car sick kids😣)

1 hour ago, Chazzy said:

Matching averages! ( nearly)  used to get that on a previous car 22mph = 22mpg, 24mph gave 24mpg.

Have you pLayed with eco turned off. does it help much when you are constantly moving?   My best consumption is single carriageway A roads, lots of lifting and coasting to corners all around 40-60mph. Havibg fun getting bsck to speed doesnt seem to be too punative. ( apart from car sick kids😣)

In 2 weeks time I have to drop the wife off at Heathrow for a flight to Kenya so I plan to drive there in Normal mode and take a photo, then do the return journey in Eco and compare the average speeds and average mpg to see if there are significant differences.:thinking:

Edited by shyVRS245
spelling mistake

On 11/01/2020 at 14:05, newbie69 said:

On the boring topic of economy, if low speed long trips are surprisingly economical, short trips from cold is where the car offers a reality check in regards to its weight and displacement...

Went out today for a couple of errands: 10min drive from cold in 3 deg Celcius, stop for 45min, then a 5min drive, stop for half an hour, then a 10min drive again. Relaxed driving, barely 2200rpm in D and very light city traffic, full trip's average: 17.5mpg  :worried: 

Excellent at covering miles economically then once the engine gets warmed up and going, but definitely the car to avoid taking for short daily trips. In that aspect the same engine GTI was better, averaging 22-24mpg on similar Saturday morning drives.

Tell me about it. When it rains, I will drive a 2 mile journey for nursery pickup. Trip computer says 6.5km/L lol. 

On 11/01/2020 at 14:11, Chazzy said:

Same sentiment Newbie. Bur regarding warm. I've never had a car blow hot air so quickly, oil does take longer though. Not that I can rag it with those average speeds.

Water cooled exhaust manifold does that! 

On 11/01/2020 at 15:05, newbie69 said:

On the boring topic of economy, if low speed long trips are surprisingly economical, short trips from cold is where the car offers a reality check in regards to its weight and displacement...

I can confirm, it's very impressive how high those consumpion are with short trips! I mean with a normal and confortable (city) ride...🤦‍♂️

It's better with 20-30 km trips, but in this case i still get 7-8 km/l.

IMG_6960.JPG

13 hours ago, Roscio said:

I don’t know how much dragy can be accurate on measuring the quarter mile time, but i got 12.52 sec @ 175.55 km/h, on closed road of course.

272 superb with stage 1 remap

46F7AC82-4F47-43DA-BC34-9A3D791A194C.jpeg

375ABD3B-B17F-4722-9B59-0B4146738585.jpeg

Dragy is actually extremely accurate. I've seen comparisons of the time it measures vs. official drag slips and they are within 0.05"-0.1" consistently so it has become almost the "standard" tool for measurements outside the strip. That and any other 10Hz GPS measuring device like P-Gear etc.

Do you also happen to have a 100-200km/h time?  This is the most representative performance measurement across cars of all drivetrains and power levels since a) it eliminates any AWD benefit (or the negative impact from the lack of it)  and b) it allows the really powerful cars to lay down their potential which is impossible in 0-60mph / 0-100kmh runs as they are just too short for performance cars nowadays.

3 hours ago, Roscio said:

I can confirm, it's very impressive how high those consumpion are with short trips! I mean with a normal and confortable (city) ride...🤦‍♂️

It's better with 20-30 km trips, but in this case i still get 7-8 km/l.

IMG_6960.JPG

Now if I had the Sat Nav view in front of me and George Michaels, 'Turn a Different Corner' was playing then I'd be very confused! 

Edited by penguin17
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, newbie69 said:

Do you also happen to have a 100-200km/h time?  This is the most representative performance measurement across cars of all drivetrains and power levels since a) it eliminates any AWD benefit (or the negative impact from the lack of it)  and b) it allows the really powerful cars to lay down their potential which is impossible in 0-60mph / 0-100kmh runs as they are just too short for performance cars nowadays.

Yes i have:

0 - 100 = 4,36 sec

0 - 200 = 16,93 sec

100 - 200 = 12,57 sec

I was expecting a similar result on 100-200 but not on 0-100 (expected maybe low 5). For sure AWD and the 7-speed dsg contributed significantly on 0-100!

0-100.jpg

0-200.jpg

100-200.jpg

• Thanks 2

Interesting numbers. My 100-200 with the JB4 on Map 2 (semi-aggressive but not maxed out by any means) seems to be very close to yours, 12.41" although with a bit of decline at the end but for example our 100-160 times are dead on identical at 6.0" which (thankfully for my pocket, lol)  means I am not missing out anything with my current state.

image.thumb.png.1f28d08d547bef65d16d57b6311d6b4f.png

I could however not get below 4.9" in the 0-100 run but that was probably because I need figure out the best technique to do it. Leaving it all automatized, by selecting Launch Control and revving to 3-3.5K, the car was bogging down at the let go and during the change from 1st to 2nd. Also, the ferocity of the launch from 0 km/h and the gear change from 1st to 2nd made me feel I wouldn't want to be launching the car with full throttle and launch control very often.  I did better times by changing gears manually and by revving to slightly lower rpm than the Launch Control allowed.

Edited by newbie69

Did you have the DSG mapped too? If so, that could explain the slight launch hesitation with mine. I've read the DQ381 is not as launch friendly, at least in stock form, as the old DQ250 6speed.

The other possibility is there needs to be some sort of settings optimization for launching in what regards the JB4 in particular as BMS have told me. I haven't had the time to log it and investigate further with them though as I frankly don't bother so much with absolute performance any more. After the first 3 months I've calmed down quite a lot I'd say.

So I have got my car. It’s absolutely brilliant. Very responsive and power on tap when needed. I have no complaints at all except one. Has anyone had a noise coming from the boot. I have like a knocking or rattle when I go over a bump and it can be quite annoying. Has anyone else experienced this.

thanks

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigmeg said:

So I have got my car. It’s absolutely brilliant. Very responsive and power on tap when needed. I have no complaints at all except one. Has anyone had a noise coming from the boot. I have like a knocking or rattle when I go over a bump and it can be quite annoying. Has anyone else experienced this.

thanks

If you have the spare wheel kit have you checked that nothing is loose in the polystyrene holder and is not metal on metal over bumps? Only just discovered there is a slot in the glovebox for CD or DVD to play music other than using your phone or the radio (quite happy with Planet Rock on the DAB).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bigmeg said:

thanks

Do you have a spare? If so, check it's secured and that all the tools are in the relevant place.  Another thing to check is the storage cubbys in the boot, you'll have a left side one if you have CANTON, as that's where the sub is located.  Also give the seat backs a little tug and make sure they are 100% secure.  

Glad to see you're enjoying the car so far.  Did the dealer do a good job with the SMART repair?  Any issues on collection.  Pics? 

Edited by penguin17
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Do you have a spare? If so, check it's secured and that all the tools are in the relevant place.  Another thing to check is the storage cubbys in the boot, you'll have a left side one if you have CANTON, as that's where the sub is located.  Also give the seat backs a little tug and make sure they are 100% secure.  

Glad to see you're enjoying the car so far.  Did the dealer do a good job with the SMART repair?  Any issues on collection.  Pics? 

+1 0n pics you can post them on here if you wish I don't mind.

• Thanks 1

I’ve not got a spare wheel and I’ve checked the repair kits are all firmly in place which they are. It’s very strange but it’s there and I will try and see if there is any storage cubbies with things in it but I don’t think there is .

I love the car and a few of my family have had a shot and they are blown away.

its really stormy and chucking it with rain here in Scotland so photos to follow.

cheers guys

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigmeg said:

I’ve not got a spare wheel and I’ve checked the repair kits are all firmly in place which they are. It’s very strange but it’s there and I will try and see if there is any storage cubbies with things in it but I don’t think there is .

its really stormy and chucking it with rain here in Scotland so photos to follow.

cheers guys

That storm hitting in the next 24 hours is a very low pressure one which is decribed by the Met Office as a "Weather Bomb" hope everyone stays safe.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bigmeg said:

cheers guys

Try just removing the parcel shelf for a while and see if it's that. On the Superb 3 you can stow the parcel shelf against the seat backs.  Oh and try the centre passenger arm rest.  The assemblies/latches for the ski hatch have been prone to failure from the factory, there could be a broken part rattling around.  Whilst the arm rest is down just check the expanding cup holder/bracket is secure too.  

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 16.11.49.png

Edited by penguin17

27 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Try just removing the parcel shelf for a while and see if it's that. On the Superb 3 you can stow the parcel shelf against the seat backs.  Oh and try the centre passenger arm rest.  The assemblies/latches for the ski hatch have been prone to failure from the factory, there could be a broken part rattling around.  Whilst the arm rest is down just check the expanding cup holder/bracket is secure too.  

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 16.11.49.png

Good advice penguin17. I’ll be sure to try that I’ve the next few days and I’ll let you know.

my mpg isn’t as good as shys as I’ve been trying out the acceleration which is fantastic. I’m driving down to Manchester tomorrow for a meeting at Man City’s ground on Wednesday so will prob see what I can get out the engine. I reckon the adaptive cruise control will come in handy for the journey.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigmeg said:

Good advice penguin17. I’ll be sure to try that I’ve the next few days and I’ll let you know.

my mpg isn’t as good as shys as I’ve been trying out the acceleration which is fantastic. I’m driving down to Manchester tomorrow for a meeting at Man City’s ground on Wednesday so will prob see what I can get out the engine. I reckon the adaptive cruise control will come in handy for the journey.

You're welcome :thumbup:  Yes, I've always found ACC great but the 280 is the first DSG car I've had with ACC and it works much better than it does with a manual.  E.g it will bring you to a stop in a traffic jam.  If you're stationary for more than ~3 seconds then it won't auto resume, you'll either need to pull back on the ACC stalk or press the accelerator. It makes longer/motorway journeys less taxing for sure.  That'll be a good drive to really make the most of the cars character. Especially if you can take a detour around the borders 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roscio said:

i have not dsg mapped (for now).

Launch from 0 km/h using launch control is very aggressive, also the mass does not help, so I also made only few starts with the launch control.

Ok, so then it's probably adjusting the boost request of the JB4 during launch, which means I need to go out and do some logging and send to BMS which I'm currently bored to do  :D  I don't do drag races often anyway...

In any case, the 4.36" for 0-100 km/h is hugely impressive for what is essentially a stock car with raised boost levels. Did you achieve that time by full auto launch control or manual control?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, penguin17 said:

You're welcome :thumbup:  Yes, I've always found ACC great but the 280 is the first DSG car I've had with ACC and it works much better than it does with a manual.  E.g it will bring you to a stop in a traffic jam.  If you're stationary for more than ~3 seconds then it won't auto resume, you'll either need to pull back on the ACC stalk or press the accelerator. It makes longer/motorway journeys less taxing for sure.  That'll be a good drive to really make the most of the cars character. Especially if you can take a detour around the borders 😁

I'm really missing it 😞 Hopefully back in a couple of weeks ….