Living With A Sportline Plus 272 Hatch

4 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Some 280 and probably more 272 owners have been waiting for this news so let’s get the bad stuff out the way first. After a gentle run down to Essex earlier somehow managed 45.9mpg and total range was predicted to be 698 miles but after 5 power runs on the rolling road and the long way home the range has plummeted to only 600+miles. Oh well I had to test whether spending £450 was worth it. First impressions as soon as I touched the throttle leaving the Industrial estate was WOW this is going to be a bloody quick car. I predicted to Ben the ECU genius at AmD that I thought it would make 280bhp on the 99 octane Tesco Momentum (Skoda claim 268bhp on 95 octane unleaded) and it was 283bhp completely standard. Torque I guessed at 380nm (Skoda claim 350nm) and it was only 369nm standard. After a few runs on the rolling road the final stage 1 figures are 359bhp (363PS) and 514nm. The interesting stuff from the before and after graph is that peak torque has dropped from almost 4,500rpm to just 2,800rpm so rather than having to rev out the standard engine you can just enjoy a massive wave of torque. Hard to describe how pleased I am with AmD’s work but if I have to explain it is flipping awesome without swearing a great deal. All 280 and 272 owners should get this work done because as Roscio’s experience would confirm it makes the standard fell like the 190PS diesel, night & day , chalk and cheese. Too early for any economy differences I was too busy enjoying the addictive acceleration.

50F8E89D-44A5-4647-B887-64E39A2FA936.jpeg

369F4F7D-25F9-4522-BB3E-8B4A0EAD9EBC.jpeg

A51BEF87-D5BA-44C4-B818-4D273767745F.jpeg

That dyno is in fantasy land, you can take 20hp off the bottom one and nearer 30hp off the top one. Its a 2.0 litre engine. 

As for the 45 mpg.... ffs......  Give it a rest, no doubt be 55mpg now even though more power = more fuel. Always the keeper of the most powerful and most economical version of any car on the planet is our shy, anyway there goes another warranty.  Anyway ay 0-62 in 4 seconds max now then? 

Edited by teescom09

1 minute ago, Bigeater said:

Does the car sound any different? Are there any pops and bangs? (put the back seat down if you can't hear them :) )

Don't be silly Superb's are for grown ups. Sounded good on the dyno though going from 2,000 to 7,000rpm clearing it's lungs. Guy waiting for his BMW 235i to be mapped went to watch but been there got the T-Shirt.

48 minutes ago, teescom09 said:

That dyno is in fantasy land, you can take 20hp off the bottom one and nearer 30hp off the top one. Its a 2.0 litre engine. 

As for the 45 mpg.... ffs......  Give it a rest, no doubt be 55mpg now even though more power = more fuel. Always the keeper of the most powerful and most economical version of any car on the planet is our shy, anyway there goes another warranty.  Anyway ay 0-62 in 4 seconds max now then? 

I know Shy's big and ugly enough to look after himself, however after teasing him last week for posting about economy,  I think he's done a great thing. Regardless of actual figures, the real dyno will be felt via the huge surge and shove in back of the driver's seat and with full traction. Economy won't suffer dramatically in his normal commute mode and AMD's remap is unlikely to be invalidate the warranty, if you think it will blow up, otherwise why would he go back to them each time? My Shark stage 1 threw one EML on the way home, 'cured' by restarting the engine and was faultless after that with a massive change in performance. £450 is a real bargain. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Redboy said:

I know Shy's big and ugly enough to look after himself, however after teasing him last week for posting about economy,  I think he's done a great thing. Regardless of actual figures, the real dyno will be felt via the huge surge and shove in back of the driver's seat and with full traction. Economy won't suffer dramatically in his normal commute mode and AMD's remap is unlikely to be invalidate the warranty, if you think it will blow up, otherwise why would he go back to them each time? My Shark stage 1 threw one EML on the way home, 'cured' by restarting the engine and was faultless after that with a massive change in performance. £450 is a real bargain. 

I put tea pot on my ignore list because of previous bad mouthing so thanks for reminding me how Ford Focus owners behave on a Skoda forum. If he's jealous he should trade up to a proper Performance Ford the one with an RS on it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, teescom09 said:

My old mum always said if you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all. You could just ignore the thread?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Dunc I'm 6bhp down on you but 100kg lighter before my dinner. Think I might edge you to 60mph with the advantage of 4WD. Only joking it is bloody quick and nearly as much torque as my stage 2 Vrs245 (around 378lb/ft) at only 200rpm higher.

All assuming I’m 365 as standard!  Suggestions are that 365 is very conservative.... as you have discovered with yours.  It certainly feels that way. 

Either way, I turned my sound generator on tonight (normally stays off as the V6 needs no enhancement) and had a blat in Sport.  I can’t imagine why it would possibly need to be any quicker!

https://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/threads/clucking-bell.54649/

I suspect yours will feel the same!   Welcome to the +350 club!  And with AWD. Top work old boy! 

Cheers.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dunc69 said:

All assuming I’m 365 as standard!  Suggestions are that 365 is very conservative.... as you have discovered with yours.  It certainly feels that way. 

Either way, I turned my sound generator on tonight (normally stays off as the V6 needs no enhancement) and had a blat in Sport.  I can’t imagine why it would possibly need to be any quicker!

https://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/threads/clucking-bell.54649/

I suspect yours will feel the same!   Welcome to the +350 club!  And with AWD. Top work old boy! 

Cheers.  

You post and chat to other people on another forum and come back on here like everything is normal. I can’t even look at you right now 😃

Seen a GT-S on Sunday, in red and they do look very very nice. I clapped eyes on the hoofing big Brembos and got brake envy. 🙁 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

You post and chat to other people on another forum and come back on here like everything is normal. I can’t even look at you right now 😃

Seen a GT-S on Sunday, in red and they do look very very nice. I clapped eyes on the hoofing big Brembos and got brake envy. 🙁 

To be fair, the Kia UK forum and the Stinger-specific US one are friendly enough etc, but far less well inhabited than here, so much slower-moving.  

Briskoda is definitely one of the best ones out there.  

Do like Pistonheads too, really busy, but a much broader spectrum.  

• Like 2

First commute today after the map and initially enjoying bursts of acceleration (if you sneeze you find yourself doing 70mph) found I was doing 22mpg as I joined the motorway but later after much self restraint and the 52 week roadworks near to work managed to salvage a 38.1mpg which made me smile.:)

3 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

To be fair, the Kia UK forum and the Stinger-specific US one are friendly enough etc, but far less well inhabited than here, so much slower-moving.  

Briskoda is definitely one of the best ones out there.  

Do like Pistonheads too, really busy, but a much broader spectrum.  

Yeah PH is a good forum. The only issue is you end up ‘going down the rabbit hole’ and spending too long on there. 😊 Some very knowledgeable people on there and, as you say, across a broader spectrum 

13 hours ago, teescom09 said:

Not my intention to be in-between whatever it is you and Shy have going on, but from the above statement it is apparent you don't know much (if anything) about these engines and the numbers and performance they have been consistently producing over the last 6 years, in hundreds of different dynos, v-boxes, and the real world, so why not let it be and discuss about something you have solid knowledge of?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

Not my intention to be in-between whatever it is you and Shy have going on, but from the above statement it is apparent you don't know much (if anything) about these engines and the numbers and performance they have been consistently producing over the last 6 years, in hundreds of different dynos, v-boxes, and the real world, so why not let it be and discuss about something you have solid knowledge of?

Thanks Golf R drivetrain (engine/IS38 turbo) without GPF MAKE 370+BHP and with GPF it seems close to 360bhp which makes sense as earlier 2017 Golf R's made 306bhp standard and then 296bhp on the later GPF models. Same with the 276bhp (280 Superb) and 268bhp Superb (272PS).:thumbup:

3 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Thanks Golf R drivetrain (engine/IS38 turbo) without GPF MAKE 370+BHP and with GPF it seems close to 360bhp which makes sense as earlier 2017 Golf R's made 306bhp standard and then 296bhp on the later GPF models. Same with the 276bhp (280 Superb) and 268bhp Superb (272PS).:thumbup:

It's common knowledge that pre-GPF cars made 360-370bhp with stage 1 software only, the question was more how the newer GPF ones would be affected and it is now confirmed by three different tuners that the effect is minimal.

Apart from BMS and apparently AmD, REVO claim how surprised they were of the minimum GPF effect on the gains and the fact that in reality, the newer 2.0 TSI revision seems to be making power even more easily than the old one, to the point that they surpassed 510Nm of torque with "standard settings" and had to dial it back deliberately for DSG clutch pack longevity. They quote 370bhp for their stage 1 which essentially is the same as pre GPF cars. More details here, especially for people who don't have the UK tuning options available:

https://www.onlyrevo.com/blog/all-new-gpf-stage-1-software-for-2-0t-ea888-gen-3-is38/

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

to the point that they surpassed 510Nm of torque with "standard settings" and had to dial it back deliberately for DSG clutch pack longevity.

exactly, in fact I remember that my tuner told me that he had to limit the torque due to the DSG (if I remember correctly about 450 nm). For more torque he would also have to map the gearbox.

In fairness @shyVRS245 (you need a new username BTW!!!!) you've done an impressive job there.

You really are nudging me towards doing my 280!!! Not sure what options are available in/around Bristol to be fair - need to do a bit of research.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Roscio said:

exactly, in fact I remember that my tuner told me that he had to limit the torque due to the DSG (if I remember correctly about 450 nm). For more torque he would also have to map the gearbox.

Yes I remember that from our discussion. Personally though, a 450Nm limit on the DQ381 DSG7 sounds too conservative considering the fact its predecessor, the DQ250 DSG6 which was even rated for less torque than the new DSG7, has been coping with 500Nm at stage 1 levels for years now without issues.

That's probably why AmD and REVO have set the limit for the DQ381 at 515Nm for stage 1, just a bit above the old 'box, following its higher rating. And most certainly the reason as to how they are matching "pre-GPF" gains of 360-370bhp with stage 1 despite the GPF's presence.

The extra 50Nm and 20-30bhp compared to my mildly tuned JB4, as well as better driveability overall that you get with a proper map have got me thinking of paying REVO a visit soon, not many solid VAG tuners in Sweden anyway...

Edited by newbie69
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, z1ts said:

In fairness @shyVRS245 (you need a new username BTW!!!!) you've done an impressive job there.

You really are nudging me towards doing my 280!!! Not sure what options are available in/around Bristol to be fair - need to do a bit of research.

May have to bite the bullet and become a FREEDOM member in order to change the VRS245 bit. Watch this space.:thumbup:

On 04/01/2020 at 21:03, shyVRS245 said:

The Octavia Vrs245 has a smaller 50 litre tank which cost £71.50 to fill and I was filling up 3 times a month whereas the Superb should need only 2 fills per month. Monthly fuel costs and actual mpg to follow but initially looks like about 16 pence per mile for fuel.;)

So used to spend £71.50 x 3 = £214.50 per month on fuel

Superb (from another post above) is about £94 x 2 = £188 per month on fuel

So saving about £26 per month

How much more did it cost, as every extra £1k takes 38 months of fuel savings to recover

12 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

So used to spend £71.50 x 3 = £214.50 per month on fuel

Superb (from another post above) is about £94 x 2 = £188 per month on fuel

So saving about £26 per month

How much more did it cost, as every extra £1k takes 38 months of fuel savings to recover

The real savings are in time only visiting the garage 24 times per year on average compared to 36 in the Octavia, plus I have switched from local (2 miles away from me) Shell garage which charge £1.429 per litre for 99 octane fuel to Tesco garage (4 miles from me) where they charge £1.289 per litre (Momentum also 99 octane) which is a significant difference given I now have a 66 litre tank to fill.:hi:

8 hours ago, z1ts said:

Yes I have been considering joining the remap club and maybe a trip down the M4 & M25 to visit AmD - be a nice day out.

Searching more locally I did find Avon Tuning who seem to get positive reviews. Might go and visit as I work in Aztec West

24 minutes ago, Littlewiz said:

Yes I have been considering joining the remap club and maybe a trip down the M4 & M25 to visit AmD - be a nice day out.

Searching more locally I did find Avon Tuning who seem to get positive reviews. Might go and visit as I work in Aztec West

I noticed Avon Tuning too! Haven't been in touch with them yet ref prices, let me know what you discover if you're gonna be talking to them!!

1 hour ago, Littlewiz said:

Lakeside shopping centre is a short walk away to keep you busy or the other half. You could say AmD offer free parking.