Does the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 have any rim protection?

roaddetective

Once my original from new tyres get too low, I was thinking about the tyres in the title. I hear a lot of good things about them, but want to know whether they come with much rim protection. The diamond cut 19inch wheels on my motor are so easy to damage, so added rim protection on the tyre would help. The original tyres are a width size of 225, so I am also thinking about fitting a 235 size tyre instead. Hopefully a member here has experience of these tyres.

2 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

I went 235/35/19 as do many people because there are a better range of good tyres in this size and they fit really well :)

ETRTO recommends 8J to 9.5J rims for the 235/35R19 tyre size. However, I doubt that you will have any problems fitting this tyre size to 7.5J rims...apart from invalidating your car insurance and driving a vehicle on the road that is not roadworthy.

If you do have 7.5J rims, it's probably better to stick to 225/35R19 tyres or go to 225/45R17 tyres fitted to 7Jx17 rims for better rim protection, comfort, and resistance to pothole damage.

Here's an online parts catalogue showing a 7.5Jx19 ET51 5/112 57.1 alloy rim for the Skoda Octavia MK3

http://www.oemepc.com/skoda/part_single/catalog/sk/markt/CZ/modell/OCT/year/2016/drive_standart/753/hg_ug/601/subcategory/601090/part_id/2543668/lang/e

Here's an online parts catalogue showing some 17" alloy rims for the Skoda Octavia MK3

http://www.oemepc.com/skoda/part_single/catalog/sk/markt/CZ/modell/OCT/year/2016/drive_standart/753/hg_ug/601/subcategory/601070/part_id/2543668/lang/e

Here's a 7Jx17 ET49 5/112 57.1 alloy rim for the Skoda Octavia MK3

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/5e0601025d8z8-aluminium-disc-17-denom-skoda-36241.html

Edited by Carlston

11 hours ago, Carlston said:

apart from invalidating your car insurance and driving a vehicle on the road that is not roadworthy.

Why? Just tell your insurance company. Many will accept the change.

I particularly don't understand the 'not roadworthy' bit. Are you saying is it dangerous or just out of OEM spec?

Thanks for all the information guys and of course the very informative SashaGrace. I want to stick with the rims on the car as I do like the look of them, I just wondered if It's easily possible to go from 225 to 235 width. I have never actually seen any Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 5 tyres in the flesh, so was not sure how much rim protection they had. I do seem to remember on my previous Octavia VRS TSI, I fitted some  Asymmetric 3s and I think they did have a fair degree of rim protection down the side.  I also did not understand the term, "not roadworthy" from Carlston. Please elaborate sir. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roaddetective said:

I did not understand the term, "not roadworthy" from Carlston. Please elaborate sir. 

First, I like the idea of fitting 235/35R19 to 7.5J rims. I've done some maths (my own formula) and it looks like a good fit to me.

However, a tyre fitter could and should refuse to fit a 235/35R19 to a 7.5J rim because ETRTO doesn't recommend it.

No car manufacturer would fit a 235/35R19 tyre to a 7.5J rim because they have to abide by ETRTO recommendations.

Tyre manufacturers and car manufacturers don't decide what range of rim widths you can fit each tyre size to. It's ETRTO for cars sold in the EU. In North America I believe they have an equivalent body.

It's not easy to get hold of ETRTO recommendations. One way is to purchase an expensive annual ETRTO guide.

Here is the ETRTO website

https://www.etrto.org/Home

Not many tyre manufacturers put out ETRTO's guidelines on their websites, presumably because the tyre manufacturers recommend that only tyre industry professionals fit their tyres to rims. However, Toyo is one tyre company that does put out the ETRTO recommended rim widths for the tyre sizes that they sell.

https://www.toyo.co.uk/

On the Toyo website, you have to look up each individual tyre model to see the range of rim widths that are recommended by ETRTO. Toyo didn't decide what range of rim widths you can fit their tyres to. It was ETRTO.

Here are some ETRTO tyre and rim width guidelines

70 to 80 series tyres

145 3.5 - 5.0

155 4.0 - 5.0

165 4.0 - 5.5

175 4.5 - 6.0

185 4.5 - 6.0

195 5.0 - 6.5

205 5.0 - 7.0

215 5.5 - 7.0

50 to 65 series tyres

145 4.0 - 5.0

155 4.5 - 5.5

165 4.5 - 6.0

175 5.0 - 6.0

185 5.0 - 6.5

195 5.5 - 7.0

205 5.5 - 7.5

215 6.0 - 7.5

225 6.0 - 8.0

45 series tyres

195 6.0 - 7.5

205 6.5 - 7.5

215 6.5 - 8.0

225 7.0 - 8.5

235 7.5 - 9.0

245 7.5 - 9.0

255 8.0 - 9.5

35 to 40 series tyres

205 7.0 - 8.0

215 7.0 - 8.5

225 7.5 - 9.0

235 8.0 - 9.5

245 8.0 - 9.5

255 8.5 - 10.0

Edited by Carlston

31 minutes ago, punyXpress said:

Imagine it's to do with MOT Test - If your car fails, you become a pedestrian until it's fixed ?

It won't fail its MOT for slightly wider tyres that's for sure. As long as there is no mixing of types on each "axle" it will be just fine. Obviously as long as there is no fouling on anything or visible tread protruding past the wheel arch but since OP is only going from a 225 up to a 235 that should be no issue either. 

As long as the rolling diameter remains close to original (within 2% I think?) that's fine too, so as has been said if going wider the profile will have to reduce in order to maintain the OD. 

Edit: as @Carlston has said above though, there are guidelines for tyre v rim widths. I don't know anything about the legalities of that in the UK or are they just recommendations. 

Edited by Gmac983
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Well, I can confirm that a Toyo 205/55(R16) works well on a 6.5J wheel.

50 to 65 series tyres

205 5.5 - 7.5

As you can see from the chart, 205/55 has an ETRTO recommended range of rim widths from 5.5J to 7.5J.

The VW group often fit 205/55 tyres to slightly narrower 6J rims to get improved comfort and rim protection.

I've also seen the VW group fit them to 6.5J and 7J rims.

55 falls into the 50 to 65 series tyres category in the ETRTO guidelines.

50 to 65 series tyres means tyres that have an aspect ratio of 50, 55, 60, and 65.

Edited by Carlston

22 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@Carlston

I have asked you on posts several times and i do not think you have ever answered.

?

Are you in the UK and do you get cars of yours MOT'd in the UK and know what is in the UK MOT'ers manual?

?

Do you work in the Tyre / Wheel Industry or in a Tyre Fitting Centre?

I am in the UK.

Passing an MOT doesn't mean that everything about your car is road legal.

My local MOT tester is very good at what he does, but he never checks to see if my tyre sizes are fitted to ETRTO recommended rim widths...and he doesn't have to as it's not part of the MOT test. He does however check the condition of my tyres very carefully. Last time I overheard his assistant saying these are good in an impressed kind of way. I knew they were good as I fitted them myself.

I have emailed the technical department of Continental tyres to ask them if fitting 235/35R19 tyres to 7.5J rims is legal in the UK. If I get a response, I will post their reply on this thread.

Edited by Carlston
  • Thanks 1

@Carlston   Thanks for that.

& you have a Mk1 Fabia and keep giving some good info and some total rubbish.

We know that passing a UK MOT means that what you presented on the day was just given a ticket for up to another 13 months and is just meeting a minimum safety.  You can drive out and do what ever with it, even putting it back to whatever you were driving the day before.

The interesting thing is if a Police Examiner, Insurance or Coroners appointed expert is examining it.  After all lots on here have cars.

Stretched Tyres are all over the place, owners stopped by officers, traffic or not daily and no action taken,  but then this thread is not about stretched tyres.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

@Carlston the info above is slightly contradicting. My 17 inch wheels (supplied by Skoda) are 6.5 wide and come fitted with 225/45 tyres. How does this fit with etrto recommendations? It's certainly not within the range in your list.  You and a couple of others on here seem to know quite a bit about tyres, so I am genuinely curious about the legality of that data.

2 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

@Carlston the info above is slightly contradicting. My 17 inch wheels (supplied by Skoda) are 6.5 wide and come fitted with 225/45 tyres. How does this fit with etrto recommendations? It's certainly not within the range in your list.  You and a couple of others on here seem to know quite a bit about tyres, so I am genuinely curious about the legality of that data.

Looking at 225/45R17 tyre sizes on the Skoda Octavia MK3, Skoda only fit 225/45R17 tyres to 7J or 7.5J rims, not 6.5J rims.

You can check on a Skoda online parts catalogue here

http://www.oemepc.com/skoda/part_single/catalog/sk/markt/CZ/modell/OCT/year/2016/drive_standart/753/hg_ug/601/subcategory/601070/part_id/2543668/lang/e

You will see that the range of standard 17" alloy rims includes 7J and 7.5J but not 6.5J if the intended tyre size is 225/45R17.

If you've got a 6.5J rim you can fit 205/50R17 but not 225/45R17, at least according to ETRTO.

Edited by Carlston
  • Thanks 1

Boy SashaGrace I opened a can of worms here. All I really want to know is, as you yourself went from the standard 225/35/19 to 235/35/19, any dash lights come on, or other initial problems with the increase of width of the new tyres you had fitted? From reading some of your other posts on the site, you certainly seem to know these motors.  I would also still love to know if anyone else can inform me if the make of tyre I have been talking about has good rim protection?

What defeats rim protection sometimes is when you stretch your sidewalls by fitting tyres to relatively wide rims. However, you should be fine with 235/35R19 on relatively narrow 7.5J rims as the tyre sidewalls will bulge out a bit thereby helping to protect the rims from gentle kerbing damage.

The Goodyear Asymmetric 5 is 71dB, so also consider the Fulda SportControl 2 (a Goodyear brand) which is quieter at 68dB.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 235/35 R19 91Y XL with rim protection Euro Label C A 71dB

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m55b0s24p165085/Goodyear_Tyres_Car_Goodyear_Eagle_F1_Asymmetric_5_-_235_35_R19_91Y_XL_FP_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_71dB

Fulda SportControl 2 235/35 R19 91Y XL with rim protection Euro Label C A 68dB

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m55b0s24p169524/Fulda_Tyres_Car_Fulda_SportControl2_Fulda_Sport_Control_2_-_235_35_R19_91Y_XL_FP_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_1_Noise%3A_68dB

Edited by Carlston

8 minutes ago, Carlston said:

Goodyear Asymmetric 5 is 71dB, so also consider the Fulda SportControl 2 (a Goodyear brand) which is quieter at 68dB

So far you haven't actually posted anything "new" except "...rhubarb rhubarb ETRTO rhubarb..." This latest statement is more nonsensical because tyres are self-certified, and that on drive-by rather than in-car noise!.

14 hours ago, roaddetective said:

Boy SashaGrace I opened a can of worms here. All I really want to know is, as you yourself went from the standard 225/35/19 to 235/35/19, any dash lights come on, or other initial problems with the increase of width of the new tyres you had fitted? From reading some of your other posts on the site, you certainly seem to know these motors.  I would also still love to know if anyone else can inform me if the make of tyre I have been talking about has good rim protection?

None whatsoever and the car is lowered too, no rub, no problems.

They fit lovely on the rim

1EAE203B-41DD-4A23-92FA-EC110604CB73.thumb.jpeg.d6e91707ab303326db25792221b9bc12.jpeg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, roaddetective said:

I would also still love to know if anyone else can inform me if the make of tyre I have been talking about has good rim protection?

The Ass 5's have rim protection......whether good or not.....hmmm with me I have marked alloys, but I'm not that careful 😒

• Like 1

19 hours ago, nige8021 said:

And if you've got a boat engine under the bonnet who cares if the tyres a few db louder 

3db is actually double the noise so the difference of 68 to 71 is double. So 'a few db' could make a big difference.

15 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

3db is actually double the noise so the difference of 68 to 71 is double.

And because of the logarithmic nature of our hearing is also the smallest increase that an 'untrained' ear can detect.

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 2