The Coronavirus (COVID-19) Topic.

@Lee

5 minutes ago, xman said:

Long time followers of this thread will know which ones I have in mind. Too subtle for many perhaps. 

Government should look into emergency laws re profiteering, particularly the scum that buy up in bulk, depriving others then selling on on Fleabay etc. at grossly inflated price. Maybe a fleabay tax? Difficult I know.

IIRC there used to be a law, many many years ago when it was illegal to sell something above its official published retail price. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I thought he bought 48, but no you're right I remember he pulled a stroke and got 2 x 24 (his usual amount - honest) and confirmed elsewhere that C19 doesn't give a runny nose or the squits, so just ignoring advice and thinking of only himself - though his previous ignoring advice was medical stupidity of major proportions rather than just selfish.

• Like 1

I promise not to bring the subject up again. Any damage has already been done. Best to concentrate on the present and the future, the only areas where we can influence the outcome.

And not to criticise others too harshly, "let him who is without fault, cast the 1st stone"......😇.....Oops, I just wandered into religious territory, I must shy away from such ramblings....lest god strike me down......oops, did it again.....🙁

Edited by xman

33 minutes ago, xman said:

Long time followers of this thread will know which ones I have in mind. Too subtle for many perhaps. 

Government should look into emergency laws re profiteering, particularly the scum that buy up in bulk, depriving others then selling on on Fleabay etc. at grossly inflated price. Maybe a fleabay tax? Difficult I know.

IIRC there used to be a law, many many years ago when it was illegal to sell something above its official published retail price. Maybe I'm wrong though.

There was some legislation re: retail price, but IIRC, that was repealed years ago as it was deemed to conflict with competition rules and regs.

As to profiteering, I agree. But I've no problems with things like the DJ chap buying up wholesale stock hotels weren't needing and re-selling, as he did, at somewhere close to normal retail price; that's just business. But normal bog rolls at a quid? Anyone buying needed their heads wobbling a bit!

I think HMRC already monitor eBay and Amazon sellers, so can, if they deem it necessary take action such as a quick investigation and then loads of back taxes and penalties for none declaration of business activity.

Oh for christ's sake guys...   pack it in and grow up !

Did you read what ColinD posted??   and did you make ANY effort to understand what he said??

Jeez...

Edited by skomaz
  • Thanks 1

On 30/03/2020 at 12:37, lol-lol said:

Incredible the VAT is applied to the Excise Duty as well. Tax on Tax !!  

The V stands for Value; since when was a tax value? 1973 in UK when VAT was introduced. As appalling then as it is now

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

If British people were serious about reducing the spread of Covid-19 then why did they make 79 million extra shopping trips in March 2020 compared to March 2019 

Because they are all numpties..............well, most of them not intelligent enough to be out on their own.................Lockdown???? should be locked up...........

• Thanks 1

Just now, Tilt said:

Because they are all numpties..............well, most of them not intelligent enough to be out on their own.................Lockdown???? should be locked up...........

Exactly by Saturday I've not been to any shop for 15 days, anyone else on here match that.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I won’t be popular for this, but we are a virus.

Is, our product, our abuse, our wanting... we’re the virus on nature.

So yes Mother Nature is trying to cure the planet of us and good luck to her, she’s going to need it.

truth is, she will, albeit with a little help from the smallest of things... and it will continue on in one form or another, till it’s consumed by some greater force.

much like other antics.

Science for the win.

Just hope it’s not in the next fifty years while fuel prices are low so I can take my plastic waste to the tip.

not all of this post is in jest.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cmp1951 said:

The good (for me, and possibly their own pesion funds) is that the share price/value of the big four supermarkets will rise, and unlike the pre-Brexit stock-up done by so many companies will not of itself result in reduced spend later.

Unless I am misunderstanding, I think it will result in reduced spend later.............A lot of folk will have cupboards full of supermarket stuff which under normal circumstances they would not have purchased until further in the future, but will not need to now

Unless people are eating and drinking themselves into oblivion.......

• Like 1

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Exactly by Saturday I've not been to any shop for 15 days, anyone else on here match that.

6 weeks. The shop comes to us with greens. The milkman still drops off milk, orange and eggs, hope that’s all.

problem is I need some more kindling for my garden bonfires... I need my daily battle with amazon packaging tape...

that and joes pe on YouTube.

I’ve not had a bonfire yet... but the neighbours have 😞 

4 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

I've been in self isolation since Monday the 16th. Could probably go out to the supermarket now but when a local food wholesaler is allowing personal accounts, online ordering and a collection service where you turn up and they open your boot and load put your order in for you I can't see much point in bothering. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Lee01 said:

As Agent Smith said to Neo.

Or  did he....

dum dum dar. Still reckon neo was a mole.

maybe I’ll watch that tonight on my eco friendly broadband...  

which I don’t have.

so I’ll plant some more trees this month.

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, caprixpack said:

I've been in self isolation since Monday the 16th. Could probably go out to the supermarket now but when a local food wholesaler is allowing personal accounts, online ordering and a collection service where you turn up and they open your boot and load put your order in for you I can't see much point in bothering. 

it will change how we shop. When we realise how long we trudged around the loop... 

that said many of the wholesalers will switch back to trade. Unless tempted by the slightly better margins of a needy customer base :)

Sobering story from a visiting lady driver today. Her sister is in an ICU ward at a Leicester Hospital and was given 24 hours to live a few days ago due to being alcoholic and needing a liver transplant. Amazingly everyone on her ward passed away and she is now sitting up in bed feeling much better. Lady luck works in strange ways and as Colin said sometimes fate intervenes and saves those that seem likely to have little or no chance in the opinion of the medical staff.:sadsmile:

On 30/03/2020 at 15:11, Tilt said:

I'm researching a little as I want to know ...........if a person becomes immune to a virus, can they still carry it, and therefore still pass it on.

Still looking, but an interesting read. Sorry if already linked elsehere.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/health/coronavirus-immunity-antibodies.html

People who have developed immunity to the virus shouldn't be able to spread it themselves by coughing/sneezing but can still help it spread by touching contaminated surfaces etc.

23 minutes ago, Wino said:

And how we work, for many of us.

It will change many things, the consequences are vast, starting with politics, govt and how they run our society.

We will find the cure (even as it stands now) IS worse than the disease.

Covid-19 will devastate (demographically speaking) Europe and North American economies. I fear many people once they get used to living on govt support, will not want to go back to work.

If it goes to any scale in continents like India and Africa, then its anybody's guess what the world will look like a year from now.

It may even be survival of the fittest in the most primitive form.

Dystopia beckons.

On that subject............ An opinion piece.
I would have scrapped the word 'Britain' and used 'the world'.

Whether the coronavirus pandemic lasts for two months or two years, the way that we live and work will be altered irrevocably

Countries – and people – are resilient. Coronavirus will bring about a revolution in the way that Britain lives and works, but many of the long-term shifts it ushers in would likely have occurred anyway, even if not quite this quickly. The test for our society is how we look after those who lose out once society reorders itself. Whether the sense of shared responsibility for the most vulnerable, which emerged when the pandemic first took hold, continues once it abates. And whether we will sacrifice our own opportunities in order to protect those whose opportunities are being taken away.

https://www.esquire.com/uk/life/a31915611/coronavirus-timeline/

20 minutes ago, Squible said:

People who have developed immunity to the virus shouldn't be able to spread it themselves by coughing/sneezing but can still help it spread by touching contaminated surfaces etc.

15 minutes ago, Wino said:

There must be healthcare workers who've had it, recovered, served their isolation time and gone back to work?

Are they seeming to be resistant to re-infection, do you happen to know @Squible?

Once symptoms develop, a person’s viral load declines steadily, and they become increasingly less infectious. However, people appear to keep shedding the virus for around two weeks after they recover from covid-19, both in their saliva and stools (medRxiv, doi.org/dqbs). This means that even once a person’s symptoms have cleared, it may still be possible to infect other people.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2238473-you-could-be-spreading-the-coronavirus-without-realising-youve-got-it/

• Thanks 1