Replacing Yeti

awfabia

At some stage we are all going to have to make the change from our Yeti to another vehicle. It is interesting that almost everyone who has a Yeti is finding it difficult to find a better alternative. The Service manager at the dealer I use said the same - they have many Yeti owners who previously changed their cars at 4-5 year intervals who seem to be holding on to their Yeti’s.

I really don’t need a larger car but like the elevated driving position and, well, just the convenience and drive of the Yeti. Only alternative I can see at the moment is the VW T-Cross and am hoping they improve the cabin etc. in the facelift model due later this year. Kia Soul is nice but I am not prepared to go electric at this stage.

• Like 3

..when I was looking the T-Cross was very near the top of my list, what put me off was the interior was a bit "low rent", and I also wanted to get away from VAG given their ongoing denial that any problems were a design or manufactuing issue. At the top of my list was a Suzuki Vitara, but at the time their latest model did not offer an auto box, if it had I would have got one.

On 03/07/2023 at 19:01, Stubod said:

..as previouslt posted, I made the change last year and after much soul searching ended up with a Kia Niro, (self charging hybrid). So far I have been really pleased, yes the Yeti was a little more practical, but the Niro ticks 95% of all the boxes for me. Definately like the auto, adaptive cruise control, 7 year warrantly and rear camera, and currently averaging around 70mpg (actual).

Is that the new shape or the old?

..old shape. The new one appears a little bigger, and I prefer something "Yeti" size. I did drive a new one when I took mine in for its first service, and it eas quite nice. Just ashame that being the base model, this one does not have the "paddles", which are only available on the next model up?? Mine is a level "2", which is the base / poverty spec, but being the old model it does have the flappy paddles which can be used in "economy" mode to act as brakes amd recharge the battery, (useful when going down hills), or in "sport" mode (haha), they can be used to change gears. Needles to say mine spends 99.9% of its tim in economy mode.

I would certainly consider the new model when the time comes for a change...

All those points noted with interest.

My neighbour has the old shape and it seemed to fit the bill just as you described - then when the new one came out I was a bit disappointed to see it had got bigger (the width is fairly important as I have a fairly narrow garage door opening and anything over 1800 starts to become awkward.

I did go into the Kia showroom and just sat in one and thought it rather posh and modern compared to a Yeti and a 12 year old Hyundi i10 but I'm sure it would be fine when the time comes.

For all the reasons discussed I'm reluctant to go back to the VW dealer. I would imagine a new DSG would be OK nowadays but the three year warranty versus the seven year warranty adds just anoother reason to look elsewhere .... the Toyota ten year offering has even more appeal.

Anyway, life will go on - until such time as it doesn't.

I also considered the (at the time), new Toyota Yaris Cross, and I would have got one, but delivery times where 9+ months and I did not want to "risk" running the Yeti for that much longer as it was starting to incurr costs, (and I fancied a change anyway). Although I was concerned about the CVT auto fitted to the Yaris, after a test drive I found it fine. (They apppear to control it using "set steps" rather than the more traditional CVT experience found in the likes of a Honda Jazz).

I think it may be worth looking at the new Suzuki Vitara which (I think), now comes with an auto option. I test drove the older manual 1.4  model and thought it was really nice car and a similar size to the Yeti, and if I had been in the market for a manual I woud have probably gone for one of these. (NB at the time the Niro was not on my radar..).

Edited by Stubod

^^^ Another particularly pertinent post, ta.  Our thought processes seem to be at one on this topic.

I did mention the Yaris Cross in an earlier exchange and, despite having high hopes, it didn't quite fit the bill, mainly due to my having trouble getting in the thing with the seat set to its max height, which is how I would have wanted it set. I thought the boot space cover was needlessly flimsy too, but maybe that's nit picking.

I suspect the latest Vitara has a single clutch automatic transmission. Having driven the VW single clutch offering in an UP! I wasn't interested. I believe there's an exchange of thoughts in an earlier post (or maybe further up this one?)

I don't think a CVT would be a problem for me, I did have a 2008 Jazz CVT and don't remember it irritating me unduly so I'd imagine the newer type would be even more acceptable.

Hi,

Our Yeti is now seven years old  and normally we trade in for a brand new car every two to three years. This Yeti is the best all round car we've ever owned both my wife and I still love it. I was concerned about its age and have been looking around for a suitable replacement but my eyes glaze over as I browse the web. So many cars these days appear clones of each other whereas our Yeti has real street presence. Cars with no hand brake lever?  Definitely no electric car of any kind for us. I washed the Yeti two days ago and polished it yesterday; I felt real regret even at the thought of parting with it; it's only got 32,000 on the clock and still looks like new.

It's now taxed for another year and already fully insured with Saga from the 16th when the LV policy expires; the service with MOT and brake fluid change is little over £300. I've just bought 5 liters of Bilt Hamber Dynax S-50 rustproofing to treat it with.

For the last six years it's been on £30 per year road tax now it's suddenly gone up to £35; £550 for comp insurance it's not an expensive car to own and run and it's such a joy to own; I'd like to have it rust proofed professionally but can't find a local company to do the job.

I must have suffered a senior moment even to consider parting with it.  🤢

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like 4

On 04/07/2023 at 07:07, Stubod said:

..when I was looking the T-Cross was very near the top of my list, what put me off was the interior was a bit "low rent", and I also wanted to get away from VAG given their ongoing denial that any problems were a design or manufactuing issue. At the top of my list was a Suzuki Vitara, but at the time their latest model did not offer an auto box, if it had I would have got one.

The facelifted T-Cross just announced has a much improved cabin with better layout and soft touch materials. Outside has been updated with all LED lights and style tweaks. New technology as well but details not yet confirmed until full release early Autumn. Looks a viable alternative to the Yeti, similar size and has the small outside bigger inside feel. Going to have a test drive once they are available at dealers.

• Like 3

Hi,

Many thanks for the information Schtum; yes it's helped a lot; there's a center only three miles away but I wondered what would be involved to do the work myself; one of the companies on the list had a short video so I then browsed YouTube with this new information and found these;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1awO8hZ9KvE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_CtXeH8rb8

The Bilt Hamber Dynax cavity rustproofing has just arrived I bought 5L I'll also buy Bilt Hamber heavier wax based material for the exterior surfaces. Ideally I'd like it done professionally but it means being without car; doing it myself I can spread the work.

Yesterday I had the wheels off and cleaned the wing liners but to do the job correctly I'll remove each liner; I certainly want to do it sooner rather than later but now the rustproofing is here so is the rain; typical Yorkshire weather.

I have a friend who owns two monster tractor units he's one of these guys who transports loads up to 350 tons; it was he who suggested Bilt Hamber he uses it on his own vehicles.

Removing the wheels was not the easiest of jobs; if I only had the supplied wheel spanner I'd have never got the wheels off; I had to use my 1/2" ratchet with extended handle. I've now cleaned the corrosion away and applied copper grease to only the stud taper not the thread and now the wheels are back on just using the supplied wheel spanner; having struggled with such tight studs I've also cut a length of steel pipe about 15" long to slide of the handle of the supplied spanner; I rubbed the pipe with abrasive paper and it's now painted black; it'll go everywhere with the car in future; our Yeti has the space saver spare wheel.

We've had many cars over the years but this Yeti is the only one we like so much to want to keep it.

Kind regards, Colin.

• 2 weeks later...

I look at Yeti prices now and again on Autotrader, and there was one on for £19995 the other day.

I know the used market went crazy a year ago, but this shows how in demand low mileage ones are.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

@PrezafabIt shows what someplace's put up as an 'ASKING PRICE',  if they get them sold at that price then that shows that they are selling for that.

Some paid too much to take them in as a trade in or at auction and keep trying to just find a buyer that will pay what they want for a car.

If someone wants to sell private or sell to a dealer / trader then that is also the actual value people are putting on them. 

Skoda - Simply Clever.

You go to see 5 year old car for sale with a FMDSH or FSH and you ask has the cam belt been replaced at 5 years and now they can say 'No need to do by time or miles since July 2023.'

Vorsprung Durch Technik. 

You do not want to reduce your profits by doing servicing and maintenance that you have been telling customers that they needed to do. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, toot said:

Skoda - Simply Clever.

You go to see 5 year old car for sale with a FMDSH or FSH and you ask has the cam belt been replaced at 5 years and now they can say 'No need to do by time or miles since July 2023.'

Vorsprung Durch Technik. 

You do not want to reduce your profits by doing servicing and maintenance that you have been telling customers that they needed to do. 

Which, prior to July, many dealers were practically 'blackmailing' customers into unnecessarily changing cam belts by frightening them with the hugely expensive consequences of failing to do so.

Hi,

At last after much web searching I've found a local garage who are going to rustproof our Yeti on the 8th August; I'll deliver it and will be returned home then I'll be collected; it's booked in for two days; the wing liners will be removed then all the underneath pressure washed before being treated with this which I've just bought through eBay;

image.png.ee0bf36614ea64c06361d4411df6ca34.png

I'm going to treat the cavities myself having already bought 5L of thinner Bilt Hamber. Rustproofing isn't the main business of this garage so I'll check if they want to do more asking if it's OK to post their details; I was losing hope of getting any garage to to the job.

One thing I did learn was that the VW group on their cars install a type of foam protection strip between the wing liner and wing and this foam is terrible for causing rusting to the outer wing lip; it's going to be removed; we can spend a great deal on the upkeep of our Yeti before it even comes near to the money involved in trading it in; looked after our Yeti will become a future classic we just love it.

Any member regretted parting with their Yeti?

Kind regards, Colin.

I've had wing liners out several times and both wings removed, no foam strip between them.

There is a foam moulding that (I've just popped out to have a look) on both sides visible under the bonnet that is an extension of the sealing of the rear of the bonnet from the plenum chamber, it goes under the wing mounting flange and gives some support to the middle horizontal strip of the wing, no sealing so I think it was extended to that form because of NVH during testing.

Its way above the wheelarch liner and you can feel it with your fingers through access holes either side, it would never get wet or trap water in that position.

When I put my car back together I did a lot of headscratching over where and how to fit those two foam mouldings.

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks J.R. it's just what I was told this afternoon about the foam strips but I'll soon find out. I think before the car goes in for rustproofing I'll remove the liners at home then just replace the screws because of the pressure washing. What's the liners like to remove please because I've never removed any; do the wheels have to come off first?  I wish I'd had the Yeti fully rust proofed from new but better late than never and I want it doing before winter is upon us once again.

Kind regards, Colin.

2 hours ago, Fabcol said:

Hi,

At last after much web searching I've found a local garage who are going to rustproof our Yeti on the 8th August; I'll deliver it and will be returned home then I'll be collected; it's booked in for two days; the wing liners will be removed then all the underneath pressure washed before being treated with this which I've just bought through eBay;

If they do that then it needs to be thoroughly dried before application of the Dynax - ideally through a something like a paint oven.  That usually makes it more than a two day process.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fabcol said:

What's the liners like to remove please because I've never removed any; do the wheels have to come off first? 

Yes wheels have to be removed, at least the first time just to be able to locate all the hidden fasteners, I have loosened them and pulled them back to access other things without removing the wheel, they might just come out with the wheel in place once you know where the fasteners are and they have already been undone once.

• Like 1

What are you going to do to protect the lower doors from rust ? We've had paintwork on three of our Yetis in the same places from the paint chip / bleed issue. I don't think you can do much other than deal with quickly?

• Like 1

Yeti won't be replaced by any aboard this ship.

image.thumb.png.5913c4e8d2023d97e8734fc6a616af9c.png

Edit: Porsche have lost 1,117 cars on the ship, Audi claimed a loss of 1,944 vehicles, Bentley lost 189, Lamborghini lost 85, and Volkswagen lost 561 cars.

Edited by Urrell
Added to.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3