Recommend me a film to watch...

ColinD

52 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Dr Strangelove would be a good watch right now. Who'd have thought the General who lost his marbles ( brilliantly played by Sterling Hayden ) was more sane than his 2022 real-life counterpart Vladimir Putin?

I was watching that on Thursday.

One of my favourite lines ever is "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the war room".

The Man Who Saved The World is also a good watch. True story about Stanislav Petrov who went against protocol and ignored his orders instead convincing his bosses they were witnessing a false alarm.

• Like 1

I'm a real lightweight when it comes to leaving anything to my imagination, and I've just started watching The Invisible Man (2020).  Don't rate my chances of finishing it as I'm proper spooked 😱

Just in case anyone likes chilling and tense.  Me, I'm just off to lock the back door 🙄

Gaz

• Haha 2

On 13/02/2022 at 23:16, @Lee said:

I concur. Superb throughout.

Seconded (or maybe thirded).  One of the best films I've seen in a long time.

Gaz

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Munich - The edge of War. Free on Netflix, based on the Robert Harris book Munich. Jeremy Irons as Neville Chamberlain. Well worth watching.

Edited by Warrior193
added note.

Just watched Death on the Nile, the latest Kenneth Brannah Hercule Poirot movie. It's pretty entertaining and as I am the only person in the country not to have seen a previous version or read the book, I got to guess who dunnit too. I give it a 6.5 out of 10 (it might have been a 7/10, but the CGI annoyed me a little) 

It's currently on the Disney Channel if you subscribe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lady Elanore said:

Just watched Death on the Nile, ............ but the CGI annoyed me a little) 

Whatever did they use CGI for - Poirot's moustache?

Edited by io1901
  • Haha 2

Wide shots of Egyptian pyramiddy things and boats on the Nile etc. The moustache was done by a stunt moustache and was uncredited. 

Actually, jokes aside, the moustache has quite poignant tale of its own in this movie, but you'll have to see it to understand what I mean. 

Just seen "The Batman" at our local Odeon.

Fully reccommend it. It's quite a dark film (both in tone and overall feel) but it's brilliantly done with some fabulous set pieces and good characters. 

• Like 3

Killing them softly has just landed on Amazon Prime. It's been around for a few years now, so many may have seen it, but if not, it might be worth a watch imho.

Imagine a movie that was the love child of Martin Scorsese and the Coen Brothers (if you can) and this may well be it. Theres gangstery things, gamblingy things, men with guns talking mean and a slight absurdity to the whole plot. Brilliant cast too.   It's great :) 

MM©, a solid 8/10

MM= Mandy's Movies 

• Like 2

On 30/03/2022 at 23:39, Lady Elanore said:

Wide shots of Egyptian pyramiddy things and boats on the Nile etc. The moustache was done by a stunt moustache and was uncredited. 

Actually, jokes aside, the moustache has quite poignant tale of its own in this movie, but you'll have to see it to understand what I mean. 

Watched Orient express and Nile on successive nights. Well they were both loosely based on the books. Anyway, not too bad but they did manage to move the Sphinx in the CGI, which annoyed me.

On 30/03/2022 at 19:20, Warrior193 said:

Munich - The edge of War. Free on Netflix, based on the Robert Harris book Munich. Jeremy Irons as Neville Chamberlain. Well worth watching.

Yes, that was excellent. 

If you fancy watching something that'll make you cross, I recommend Dark Waters and Downfall: The Case Against Boeing. Both on Netflix, and both guaranteed to leave you astonished that they could possibly be true stories. Which they are.

• Like 1

On 01/04/2022 at 13:19, WolfyWesty said:

Just seen "The Batman" at our local Odeon.

Fully reccommend it. It's quite a dark film (both in tone and overall feel) but it's brilliantly done with some fabulous set pieces and good characters. 

Well, the trailers I've seen are certainly dark. ;) 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Don't tell Amanda, but I think George has been slipping out of her basement. Really enjoyed The Tender Bar (Memoir) free on Amazon Prime. Based on the early life of J.R Moehringer. Starring Ben Affleck, Tye Sheridan,and Brinna Middleton. Directed by Lady Es house guest.

2 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

Don't tell Amanda, but I think George has been slipping out of her basement. Really enjoyed The Tender Bar (Memoir) free on Amazon Prime. Based on the early life of J.R Moehringer. Starring Ben Affleck, Tye Sheridan,and Brinna Middleton. Directed by Lady Es house guest.

I call it shore leave

I saw the film and enjoyed it. Nice steady paced film 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm currently watching Destination Wedding (on Freevee formerly IMBD TV) and it's not actually that bad. 

Starring Keanau Reeves and Winona Ryder.

The ads are a PITA but that's a small price. 

Edited by @Lee

I can thoroughly recommend Everything, Everywhere, All the Time ...

... to the right person

I would like to give a synopsis, but I can't, it's the most dazzling, bonkers, mad, weird, bonkers, kung fu, bonkers, googly-eyed, bonkers, laundromat based, existential crisis, black hole/bagel movie I have ever seen. In fact, the more bonkers it becomes, the more it makes sense! It's brilliant! There are synopsis available on places like wiki and you can read these and the film still won't make sense until you watch it. It is a wild ride and Michelle Yeoh is simply superb. Funnily enough, the actor that plays her husband has only recently return to acting after a long hiatus from his child-actor days. He played 'Short Round' in the Indiana Jones movie (don't let that put you off). 

It's not cheap to rent (it's not on a free platform yet) so it is a cinema price to watch, but I think it's worth it if you like your movies fun and challenging in equal measure. 

I give it 9/10 or probably just as accurately   Jelly/Sleep

• 2 weeks later...

"The Crow" is on Netflix just now.

Great film although it's the most goth of goth films ever.

• 4 weeks later...