ocatavia vrs diesel re-map 0-60 times verses stock etc

Hi, Many threads on here regarding parts of the info required, but was wondering if any of you have had the stage 1 engine re-map completed in the 184bhp diesel manual ??  ( mine 2017 Octavia 3)

if so, what are the 0-60 etc verses a stock car?  what is the reliability like???

I do 20k a year and have been trying to find anyone with this info before commiting to having it done.

Also seems most are around the 220bhp mark and 450Nm torgue correct?

Sorry for all the questions but I cannot seem to find to much info on anyone having this done for a few years etc

cheers Jim

The std turbo tops out at about 210bhp before you start getting high exhaust gas temperatures. You wont see much benefit on 0 to 60 times with a remap. The main benefit will be in the mid range speed such as overtaking etc. Well worth getting it done as I am looking at getting mine remapped at some point this year.

Edited by Ecomatt

I disagree. 0-60 times will improve but that's not what it's about. If you want to chase drag times you are in the wrong car.

Mid speed pick-up and flexibility is where the remap will help. Overtaking being the big one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo1971 said:

Hi, Many threads on here regarding parts of the info required, but was wondering if any of you have had the stage 1 engine re-map completed in the 184bhp diesel manual ??  ( mine 2017 Octavia 3)

if so, what are the 0-60 etc verses a stock car?  what is the reliability like???

I do 20k a year and have been trying to find anyone with this info before commiting to having it done.

Also seems most are around the 220bhp mark and 450Nm torgue correct?

Sorry for all the questions but I cannot seem to find to much info on anyone having this done for a few years etc

cheers Jim

your gain on 0-60 will be pretty non existent maybe 0.2s but then again if you were interested in 0-60 times you shouldn't have brought a 184 diesel.

my 2 cents is if this is what you're interested in don't bother, however ignoring the 0-60 getting a proper remap can significantly improve the cars overall drivability making it smoother and easier to over take and quite possibly improve mpg just ensure you get a proper remap as in it's made for your engine preferably tuned using multiple dyno runs as opposed to a 15min ecu flash

HI thanks for the reply,  not that im to bothered on the 0-60 difference just curious if there was much of a difference between stock / remap? but i guess not.

The diesel is deffo a great car and i'm well past the kicking the tyres stage lol

I get that it will have more driveability which is great , but I would like to here from somebody who has had this done for a while to see if any reliability issues has occurred etc over time

many thanks all 

1 hour ago, Jimbo1971 said:

HI thanks for the reply,  not that im to bothered on the 0-60 difference just curious if there was much of a difference between stock / remap? but i guess not.

The diesel is deffo a great car and i'm well past the kicking the tyres stage lol

I get that it will have more driveability which is great , but I would like to here from somebody who has had this done for a while to see if any reliability issues has occurred etc over time

many thanks all 

Reliability is pot luck. You can have a standard car that is a total nightmare and faults all the time. Then have a modified car that doesnt miss a beat.

There will always be a risk when modifying anything on the car as you are taking it out of its normal running parameters. The only bit of advice I can give is to make sure you go to a reputable tuner who has a map that is tried and tested and not just the cheapest one. Any tuner worth their salt will give your car a health check to ensure it is suitable for a map before uploading the map.

• Like 1

Main advantage of a remap is mid-range punch and improved power delivery. You'll notice this every time you drive it and it will probably improve your mpg over time.

These are the things I've noticed in the past in both petrol and diesel cars :thumbup:

• Like 1

the best 0-60 time I had on mine stock was 7.6 secs. When I had my dtuk box on, it dropped to 6.5 iirc. I didn't get it to start doing traffic light grand prix so I only did it to check there was a power increase. The main difference I saw was in the effortless overtaking, didn't ever seem to matter what gear you were in, it just went.

Best thing thing to do would be to go somewhere with a rolling road, get them to do a thorough before tuning check of the car to make sure all is well and then have the remap done accordingly.

• Like 1

I've got a 184 diesel. I also have a DTUK CRD3+ tuning box. It cost me £400 and the difference is night and day. Seems much faster, power is available more readily and economy has improved. Had this just over a year now and would well recommend them. Sod paying £60-400 for a standard flash map. You'd be spending £1000+ for anything truly custom - whats the point?

• Like 1

Can't comment on the Octavia / 184 specifically so take this with a pinch of salt, BUT I have had several VAG diesels remapped before.

The main benefit IMO with a remap is the improved driveability / throttle response. With a remap it's just so much more linear and instantaneous.

Obviously it makes the car quicker too, but to be honest I've never given a toss about 0-60 times or **** wangling at the traffic light grand prix. Just how it "feels" to drive and whether it's fun to have blast down a quiet country road. On that front I've never regretted getting a map. Also ran mapped cars for many miles and not had any issues but obviously YMMV.

• Like 1

Not a fan of tuning boxes as per below video from darkside develolments

If you watch the other video he did aftee tuning a Golf GTD, it shows what works and what doesnt. Makes for a good watch and should save you some money in the long run.

https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/Blog/mqb-platform-ea288-engine-tuning-184-cuna-cupa/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ecomatt said:

If you watch the other video he did aftee tuning a Golf GTD, it shows what works and what doesnt. Makes for a good watch and should save you some money in the long run.

https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/Blog/mqb-platform-ea288-engine-tuning-184-cuna-cupa/

He knows exactly why the DTUK box doesn't work & yes I've seen the entire email trail showing DSD switched the test vehicle but, its great TV

Really gotta be careful posting Secondary information without checking its full validity.

Not a diesel but, my dtuk tuningbox ran my vRS at 291bhp, since having a Revo Stage 1 remap it runs 302bhp. An improvement but, not as much as I'd hoped for 50% more than the cost of the tuningbox, true the AFR was considerable different but, the car sailed through its pre-map installation tests.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

He knows exactly why the DTUK box doesn't work & yes I've seen the entire email trail showing DSD switched the test vehicle but, its great TV

Really gotta be careful posting Secondary information without checking its full validity.

Not a diesel but, my dtuk tuningbox ran my vRS at 291bhp, since having a Revo Stage 1 remap it runs 302bhp. An improvement but, not as much as I'd hoped for 50% more than the cost of the tuningbox, true the AFR was considerable different but, the car sailed through its pre-map installation tests.

Tony a serious question is the fuel economy (not your priority granted) better after the remap compared to the tuning box?:wondering:

Edited by shyVRS245
spelling mistake

9 hours ago, smokeyshiva said:

I'm a returning customer at darkside, its just up the road from me, the video you linked is not a CR184 engine though. Also, darkside don't individually rolling road map engines for £400..

There are two links. One for the tuning boxes and one for the cuna/cupa engine.

51 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

I dont like tuning boxes as they cost a lot and only adjust basic settings to increase power. A custom map done by a reputable tuner will be safer across the whole rev range and give a more driveable car.

It might help the op as to why you had a tuning box but you decided on a remap anyway.

• Like 1

As said above, get a proper remap not an off the shelf / through the post remap, I had one from a reputable Diesel tuning company in Essex and sent it straight back after a week as it made no difference to my 08 vRS TDi. I even videoed it plugged in and removed and no one could tell the difference. I've also had a MK4 Golf TDI pd130 remapped on a Dyno & Road, in the past and it greatly improved it, I did have a milltek exhaust too and the thing flew.

Having had a DTUK tuning box fail on my TDi vRS (184) I will never have one again, when it goes wrong it continually throws the car into limp mode and you have to continually restart to get to your destination before ripping it out. Each to their own but the Tunning box is just conning the CPU to increase the power. If I did go down the more power mode I would get a remap after warranty ran out. Tuning boxes are only really any use while its under warranty, although unless declared you have no insurance and they are a doddle to find if you have a crash so be careful with them, they could become very expensive!! 

What do you think a remap is? That's conning the ECU, except you have no control over it and can't turn it off at the touch of a button! 

The point is, be prepared to pay £1000+ for actual rolling Road time and a genuine CUSTOM map. A tuning box will give you what a flash map will, but with the added bonus of being able to fine tune it a minimum of 28 times. Thus, in theory, 28 different maps. All of which you can monitor and figure out the best combination if you have 2 neurons interconnected and a smartphone :)

Also, I declared my tuning box, a DTUK one and it cost me £9 extra on my premium.. 

Don't understand the hate really!

Edited by smokeyshiva
  • Groan 2

3 minutes ago, smokeyshiva said:

What do you think a remap is? That's conning the ECU, except you have no control over it and can't turn it off at the touch of a button! 

The point is, be prepared to pay £1000+ for actual rolling Road time and a genuine CUSTOM map. A tuning box will give you what a flash map will, but with the added bonus of being able to fine tune it a minimum of 28 times. Thus, in theory, 28 different maps. All of which you can monitor and figure out the best combination if you have 2 neurons interconnected and a smartphone :)

Also, I declared my tuning box, a DTUK one and it cost me £9 extra on my premium.. 

Don't understand the hate really!

Perhaps getting your figures right first. My custom map with before and after rolling road printout was £450 in February 2020 with a company that build racing cars in the BTCC so not backstreet amateurs. When did a tuning box ever come with free rolling road printouts so you have no idea what your stock vehicle is producing power and torque wise and my economy has always improved after a custom remap compared to a stock vehicle. Current car despite going from 283 to 359bhp and 369 to 514nm the best it managed standard was 45.9mpg and now 49.3mpg.:)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ecomatt said:

It might help the op as to why you had a tuning box but you decided on a remap anyway.

Warranty, the tuningbox went on a 1 month old car, the revo remap went on the same car at 3 years old

Its not rocket salad😁

Edited by themanwithnoaim
  • Like 2

My figures are correct ta, £450 might get you a remap and a printout, but having your car *genuinely custom mapped* requires more hours than a flash map and a rolling road printout. 

I'm not doubting your power has increased, neither am I doubting people with tuning boxes has. My original and ONLY point is that a remap and a printout from a rolling road is NOT a custom remap. 

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Ecomatt said:

I had problems with my box and I ended up taking it off.

If it wasn't for the issued I faced with the dtuk box, I would recommend one as it did provide a very noticeable increase in usable power

• Like 2