Lane assist is dangerous

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I don't buy the statement that its an indication of not being aware of the surroundings, if there is nobody there the its an indication to who?

It's a matter of encouraging good driving habits and avoiding sloppy ones. I'm sure everybody started out having mirror, signal, manouevre drummed into them and each one is important. There must be lots of people who've come across drivers who appear to only apply the second two :).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Eventually with maturity you will start to question whether what you have been doing because you were taught to do so is actually relevant, correct or appropriate.

Well said, that man! I agree that it's better to signal even if there's no-one there to see it. You never know if there's going to be someone you don't see due to blind spots or other reasons.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, longedge said:

It's a matter of encouraging good driving habits and avoiding sloppy ones. I'm sure everybody started out having mirror, signal, manouevre drummed into them and each one is important. There must be lots of people who've come across drivers who appear to only apply the second two :).

Are you saying that indicating after having done a mirror check and not seen anyone is a sloppy driving habit and should be discouraged?

I know full well that even after checking all 3 mirrors there could be traffic in a blind spot, I cannot see a vehicle arriving at a side junction ahead while I am looking in the mirror.

I have to be super aware when driving as I only have vision in one eye, on autoroutes or dual carriageways my blind spots seem to be magnets for other motorists who slow down to my speed once they have hidden themselves there, it is much much worse in recent years and I think that they are using active cruise control which slows them down to maintain a seperation with the vehicle in front, they seem happy to sit there mile after mile and oblivious to the danger they are causing.

I see them approach in my rear mirror and if they have not passed through the blind spot in the time it should take at their speed I have to move my whole body round to see where they are (left eye blind) which is dangerous in itself, and if they sit right beside me I still have to turn my head every few seconds, I know young motorcyclists in town have not learned the hard way what an angle mort is but the name should tell them something.

I know that I don't always indicate, it's not something I do every time because thats how I was taught, I never had a single driving lesson either from an instructor or family or friends.

Returning home at night on deserted country roads I can be reasonably certain that a lack of headlight beams indicates a lack of vehicles but given that at least 20% that I see on those journeys have at least one front or rear light not functioning I can't be sure of that, dependant on the circumstances I will indicate if I have any doubt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Are you saying that indicating after having done a mirror check and not seen anyone is a sloppy driving habit and should be discouraged?

No I'm not. I'm saying that indicating and then manouevering irrespective of whether you are certain it is safe to do so is sloppy. My whole point is that drivers need to observe and be aware of other road users.

Obviously aggressive/bullying drivers are a whole different matter but for normal drivers developing good habits right from the start is important.

Edited by longedge

2 hours ago, longedge said:

There must be lots of people who've come across drivers who appear to only apply the second two :).

And many more applying just the last one............. Causing serious accidents sometimes.

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

I have to be super aware when driving as I only have vision in one eye, on autoroutes or dual carriageways my blind spots seem to be magnets for other motorists who slow down to my speed once they have hidden themselves there, it is much much worse in recent years and I think that they are using active cruise control which slows them down to maintain a seperation with the vehicle in front, they seem happy to sit there mile after mile and oblivious to the danger they are causing.

I see them approach in my rear mirror and if they have not passed through the blind spot in the time it should take at their speed I have to move my whole body round to see where they are (left eye blind) which is dangerous in itself, and if they sit right beside me I still have to turn my head every few seconds, I know young motorcyclists in town have not learned the hard way what an angle mort is but the name should tell them something.

I too hate people sitting in my (so called) blind spot......... I like to have an emergency space to manoeuvre into just in case......... but I do not think them a danger to me.

But do you really (in all sincerity) believe that the other drivers are causing a danger because they are driving in your 'blind spot'........

You cannot expect them to know you only have vision in one eye (assuming you are serious about this). I think all of these drivers would consider your disability to be the danger, If anything is........

Not at all a personal attack JR, purely an observation from another's point of view.

You do sound to take good precautions whilst driving. Not sure if you have done so, or what you drive, but I would put up extra mirrors inside my vehicle if I only had one eye and was allowed to drive...... So that 'blind spots' were perhaps not so much of a problem. :)

Edited by Tilt

The blind spot that I am referring to is the one in the door mirrors, I can see them both with my right eye, I just have to turn my neck further, I can see a car approaching from behind in the rear view mirror, there is an overlap transition to the door mirror, as the car gets closer it disappears completely in the blind spot that motorcyclists should be very aware of. Its no more than a cars length and represents less than a second if they continue at their overtaking speed but it seems to be a magnetic holding area!!!!

I have tried the aspheric (or is it non aspheric) wide angle mirrors but they only seem to work if they are on the mirror beside the drivers seat, the angles are wrong for the other side. In that respect the problem is aggravated by my driving a RHD vehicle in Europe, however being in the right seat means that at least by sitting up I can swivel round enough to check the blind spot with my right eye, if I were in the correct left seat I would have to take off my seat belt and step up out of the seat which is what I always used to do when reversing, reversing cameras have been a game changer.

When you check your left mirror you probably don't turn your head, you can glance = swivel your eyes so that the image is in your HD macular vision zone of both eyes, I have to turn my head and the brain is only processing one image. We have priorité à driote here and many drivers will just take it without looking at all, it catches out many tourists who end up T-boning someone who has pulled out right in front of them only to find that they are responsable for the accident. In my case when I approach a junction where I have priority (it will be on my left) at an acute angle, to be safe I have to come to a complete stop to look behind, I cannot rely on the door mirror, I have to turn my body right round lifting out of the seat, the drivers behind become incandescent with rage, tooting and shaking their fist because I don't take "my priorité" but in fact they cannot see at all if there is oncoming traffic because of the buildings or trees.

Motorcyclists in the UK are taught to do a "life saver" look over their shoulder before overtaking and thats what I do if I have not been constanty checking all the mirrors and blind spots, say after looking at the satnav or speedometer.

Anyone with one eye is allowed to drive, we are subject to the same testing régime and minimum requirements as those with binocular vision.

I appreciate the sympathetic manner in which you put your observations and i take them in the spirit in which they were made, they are a good example that some should observe. I used the wrong wording, I should have said "oblivious to the danger in which they have placed themselves", moreover if they are not aware that sitting at a certain position will most likely be invisible to the driver adjacent to them, the one that they might be boxing in behind a slower moving HGV, where if they were aware and looked ahead they would move out to the 3rd lane if safe to do so and not in front of a faster moving car so as to be courteous or avoid being sideswiped they will not be physically looking over their shoulder to check their own blind spots when they should.

Edited by J.R.

14 hours ago, J.R. said:

I appreciate the sympathetic manner in which you put your observations and i take them in the spirit in which they were made, they are a good example that some should observe. I used the wrong wording, I should have said "oblivious to the danger in which they have placed themselves", moreover if they are not aware that sitting at a certain position will most likely be invisible to the driver adjacent to them, the one that they might be boxing in behind a slower moving HGV, where if they were aware and looked ahead they would move out to the 3rd lane if safe to do so and not in front of a faster moving car so as to be courteous or avoid being sideswiped they will not be physically looking over their shoulder to check their own blind spots when they should.

I appreciate the much better explanation......... I agree with you there, either give folk the room to move out if necessary for them to do so or at least move to where they can see you more easily. Cheers.

• Like 1

Our second car now has cursed lane keeping (71 plate Toyota Yaris) so it will be 2nd nature for me by the time Skoda get around to building our Kamiq.  Present estimates are around 8-9 months!  Just another beep to ignore when passing a parked car half on the curb.  Issue is with so many beeps that you just ignore how do you know when you need to react.  Issue with the car crying wolf.

10 hours ago, Seasider said:

Just a thought, the topic is about lane assist and not about when to indicate and when not to indicate.

As the two are linked in that if you indicate, lane assist turns off I would think it is a related action.

In that if you dont indicate the car will try to correct your steering action and maybe cause a problem.

Do you actually have a vehicle that has it???????

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

On 15/10/2021 at 21:38, Exkiwi said:

As the two are linked in that if you indicate, lane assist turns off I would think it is a related action.

In that if you dont indicate the car will try to correct your steering action and maybe cause a problem.

Do you actually have a vehicle that has it???????

There is a link between the two as your post of 4th October nicely illustrates, but the comments seem to have drifted well beyond that link and, yes, I have a car with lane assist, see my post of 3rd October.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/10/2021 at 13:52, longedge said:

You missed out the important bit ..... LOOK, Signal, LOOK, Maneuver, A routine ommited by most of todays drivers

• 1 month later...

A bit late to the party with this. I have a Karoq with lane assist. What has really annoyed me has been the frequent warning for 'stay in the middle of your lane' on our fairly narrow A roads, paricularly annoying when it is road surface irregularities that cause the warning. As I haven't had the car very long it has taken a while to understand some of the systems. From what I recall in this thread, it appears that people have advocated switching off the lane departure system, and having to do it each time the car is started. However in my last two trips up to London I realised that I hadn't had a warning and investigation found that the system was switched off. Experimentation seems to indicate that on my car, if you switch the system off, it stays switched off. 

I live quite happily with my lane assist;

I am aware and expect Lane Assist to have an input in my day to day driving

I have learned what it does and how to use an indicator to cancel the effect if needed

I do not feel the need to whinge I just get on with it ..... how about You?

If you turn it off how does that affect your Insurance as you have bought a model with it as standard equipment

Edited by gumdrop
  • Like 1
  • Groan 1

8 minutes ago, gumdrop said:

I live quite happily with my lane assist;

I am aware and expect Lane Assist to have an input in my day to day driving

I have learned what it does and how to use an indicator to cancel the effect if needed

I do not feel the need to whinge I just get on with it ..... how about You?

If you turn it off how does that affect your Insurance as you have bought a model with it as standard equipment

I don't like the steering wheel suddenly tugging for what often appears to be for no good reason, therefore I've schooled myself to turn it off (along with start/stop) at the start of every trip. Sometimes I forget initially, but I remember within a short distance of driving away.

As for the insurance angle, in the case of an accident, it's not the first thought of anyone attending an accident to check whether the Lane Assist is active or not and once the ignition has been turned off, it resets to the ON position by default, so who would know.

I would imagine that if an insurance company were able to ascertain if Lane Assist was off, then they might well try and use that as an excuse to wriggle out of paying a claim because that's what they do. However, as Lane Assist has the facility to be disabled, it's up to the individual driver to use it or not, so I fail to see how an insurance company can successfully argue a case if it's turned off.

• Like 3

To reiterate what I said above, if I switch off Lane Assist on my 2021 Karoq it stays switched off. I have no problem with it on motorways, although it does seem a little odd when it first happens. My big issue is just the nagging to drive in the centre of the lane or to take control of the steering. If I could stop the nagging withiut switching it off I would be happy.

10 hours ago, olderman1 said:

I don't like the steering wheel suddenly tugging for what often appears to be for no good reason, therefore I've schooled myself to turn it off (along with start/stop) at the start of every trip. Sometimes I forget initially, but I remember within a short distance of driving away.

As for the insurance angle, in the case of an accident, it's not the first thought of anyone attending an accident to check whether the Lane Assist is active or not and once the ignition has been turned off, it resets to the ON position by default, so who would know.

I would imagine that if an insurance company were able to ascertain if Lane Assist was off, then they might well try and use that as an excuse to wriggle out of paying a claim because that's what they do. However, as Lane Assist has the facility to be disabled, it's up to the individual driver to use it or not, so I fail to see how an insurance company can successfully argue a case if it's turned off.

Yes , I got used to LaneAssist,  

Not a problem but what about the warning on ' Take over steering'  that seems to have a mind of its own. I simply ignore it and carry on steering with my nose.😎

6 hours ago, Routemaster1461 said:

To reiterate what I said above, if I switch off Lane Assist on my 2021 Karoq it stays switched off. I have no problem with it on motorways, although it does seem a little odd when it first happens. My big issue is just the nagging to drive in the centre of the lane or to take control of the steering. If I could stop the nagging withiut switching it off I would be happy.

I'm with you; Lane Enforce can not see if there are compression ruts that you are driving to the side of.

• 3 months later...
On 24/10/2020 at 13:19, roottoot said:

It is meant to work to help keep you in lane, but as other manufacturers can do that without a violent jerk then no it is not the way it is meant to work.

People reviewing the new VW ID.3 are complaining and telling how it takes 3 buttons to turn it off with them.

My Corsa has Lane Assist and one press of a button puts it off without an extended push, i leave it on as it is damn good even on narrow back  roads.

'It is a momentary push with a PSA vehicle.'

See what he says.  @ 3 minutes.   VW will need to address the Active Lane Assist.

Totally agree lane assist is simply not required. 30mph and had my Octavia try and pull me into on coming traffic. I've suggested they simply turn in it on automatically at 70mph it would be perfect. Nothing should be resetting automatically you should have the option and this is another reason we left the EU! 

Lane assist is really good for the likes of the morons you see crossing lines and going onto other sides of the roads as they chat to passengers or on their phone.

They should have it.

What is not necessary is that the system fitted is total crap as some manufacturers have managed to make them.

Lots more Safety Devices will be mandatory soon, the EU and the UK should be making sure that EU and UK Manufacturers and those in the RoW are fitting fit for use systems. 

Edited by roottoot