Bag in coolant.

Its quite easy really, but it depends on the coolant tank used.  There are three types out there.  First tank has no teabag and no option for a Silica teabag - single skinned - best option.  Second one is a single-skinned tank, but with a silica teabag.  This is good, because the silica teabag can be fished out (carefully) by a (small) pair of hands or carefully with some thin-nosed pliers [take care not to split the bag].  The third one is the most difficult.  Its a double-skinned tank with the silica teabag in-between the two layers of plastic....no hope....forget it....get yourself a new single-skinned tank.  

As to which one you have, I cannot answer that; it almost seems completely random on what was available at the time.  You will have to investigate yourself.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, varaderoguy said:

Its quite easy really, but it depends on the coolant tank used.  There are three types out there.  First tank has no teabag and no option for a Silica teabag - single skinned - best option.  Second one is a single-skinned tank, but with a silica teabag.  This is good, because the silica teabag can be fished out (carefully) by a (small) pair of hands or carefully with some thin-nosed pliers [take care not to split the bag].  The third one is the most difficult.  Its a double-skinned tank with the silica teabag in-between the two layers of plastic....no hope....forget it....get yourself a new single-skinned tank.  

As to which one you have, I cannot answer that; it almost seems completely random on what was available at the time.  You will have to investigate yourself.

Min had split on a 2015 car with under 40k miles. I didn't video the removal, but do tell you how to take off the expansion bottle so that if you break the bag, it won't do any harm.

HTH

On 08/12/2020 at 19:47, James@Pentagon_Seat said:

I'm not condoning the removal of the silicate bag on your Skodas but the first thing I did when I got my Leon was remove it.

Good enough for me :thumbup:  I've just been out and oiked my silikat bag out.  Needed point nosed pliers to gently manoeuvre it to a portrait style vertical position, but then it came out with ease.  I'd be surprised if it took more that a minute, all in.  Bag was thankfully intact and undamaged.

Gaz

• Like 1

I decided to remove the silica bag on my car today after seeing the “mit silikat” label on the expansion tank, but unfortunately mine isn’t in the inner reservoir... Wondering is it in the outer one meaning that I have to replace the whole expansion tank, or it was removed by the dealer at some point?

CC04AA78-1E8D-4414-9DD0-56B84663CCF4.jpeg

F5ED4C82-7C6E-4C4C-9199-CEC691917D46.jpeg

Btw have you noticed that those expansion tanks without silica bags have label saying G12 coolant; those with the bag inside are labeled with G13. Is the coolant type related to the existence of such bag or I’m overthinking it? :thinking:

D29B53BF-FC76-4BAE-BA46-453318C86A04.jpeg

CA6834E1-8723-498A-B4E2-67DA58CCC997.jpeg

9 hours ago, cheezemonkhai said:

Do you guys know the exact part number? Stealer have 10x expansion tank models ending with different letter 5Q0121407[A,D,F,G,J,M,P,Q,S,T]? Wondering which one excludes the silica bag in it? :D

I won’t comment the coolant type, because I saw a coolant newer than G13, but named with previous number - G12-Evo... I think this one is only for Hybrid/Electrical vehicles, but I don’t think they know either :D

Okay. From Horton Skoda -theskodashop.co.uk -part number is 5Q0121407M

https://www.theskodashop.co.uk/products/coolant-reservoir-tank?_pos=1&_sid=471e71bc8&_ss=r

I don't think they sell ones with Silica bags now. Phone and speak to the parts team there for clarification.

On 11/12/2020 at 09:02, varaderoguy said:

Does it depend on the engine type too? My 1.2 TSI has a double double walled tank but it does not say “mit silikat”.

Edited by Rodge

17 hours ago, Rodge said:

Does it depend on the engine type too? My 1.2 TSI has a double double walled tank but it does not say “mit silikat”.

It is completely random on what tank you have.  Some have them...other's don't.

1 hour ago, DC04R said:

So what are the options?

Warrantied cars - leave it as is

Non warranty cars - remove the bag or replace the coolant bottle with a non silika bottle (and use a different coolant?)

Ta

Id take it out or replace the expansion bottle. No one will bother to check the type fitted when in the garage for any kind of work. Equally you wouldn't lose your warranty for removing the silica bag. Some dealers do this as standard ,as they know the issues people have had with them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DC04R said:

So what are the options?

Warrantied cars - leave it as is

Non warranty cars - remove the bag or replace the coolant bottle with a non silika bottle (and use a different coolant?)

Ta

Definately take it out - save yourself a world of pain later on.  Warranty won't be effected.

• Like 2

+1 remove it if the bag is easily accessible. If it's not change the coolant tank - my care is still under warranty for few more months and I'll replace mine with the new model of the tank without silica bag. I plan to do it myself, it doesn't look that hard.

10 hours ago, FrankLK said:

Why would you replace the tank if it is single walled? 

Mine isn't single walled, so the silica bag can't be accessed easily. That's why I will replace the tank.

• Like 2

Thanks @Blootoon

I'm a bit confused why they put G12evo coolant in his car( p/n G12E050A2 )? 

Does the G12evo compensate the lack of silica bag in the expansion tank? 2019 Octavias with the new expansion tank from the factory(5Q0121407M) having no silica bag in it, exit with G13.

@James@Pentagon_Seat Was so right :D

On 12/12/2020 at 00:56, James@Pentagon_Seat said:

Probably because they can't make their mind up what they're calling the coolant these days.

Edited by fr1nklyn