Wireless android auto

parsey83

• 1 month later...

Ok this is the last thing that I can't get to work on my vrs. It's not the end of the world, but it's bugging me that I can't get the wireless aa to work.

I have 1896 software. I have Android 13 on a pixel 6. I never get there option to switch to a wireless connection. 

Is there anything silly I could be missing? I've tried forgetting phone and reconnecting. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/10/2021 at 21:33, LarsKC said:

Good news! Last monday I had my Octavia iV infotainment updated. The main reason was to get the mediaplayer to work. I haven't been able to play MP3 files since I bought the car ½ a year ago. The update solved that - hurrah. 
Then, a few days ago, when I picked up my unplugged phone in order to leave the car, it dawned on me, that I had actually had Spotify playing. And yes: AA was now working wirelessly, and had simply connected itself, without me even noticing 🙂
I have an early unit, which originally came with a version B device number. Consequently, I had abandoned any hope, that it could be updated to wireless AA. But now its version F - proving that the lack of wireless AA on early models is not a hardware related thing, but can be solved by software.

Hello, I know its been a year, but how did you do the update? Directly from the System Info screen?  When did you take delivery of your car?

I had given in my car for an insurance claim and was given the latest Kamiq as a replacement, connected my phone via bluetooth and immediately AA connected wirelessly too. Too convenient. 

I really hope its just a matter of update to get the wireless AA working.

On 02/10/2022 at 17:30, Darkness22 said:

Ok this is the last thing that I can't get to work on my vrs. It's not the end of the world, but it's bugging me that I can't get the wireless aa to work.

I have 1896 software. I have Android 13 on a pixel 6. I never get there option to switch to a wireless connection. 

Is there anything silly I could be missing? I've tried forgetting phone and reconnecting. 

I've 1896 software and using a Pixel 4. When collecting the car, I connected it via Bluetooth, then by USB cable. I went into smartlink (I think thats what it was called) and followed the instructions for Android Auto setup. Switched off the car and since then, I've had wireless Android Auto.

22 hours ago, Hairy_Joe said:

I've 1896 software and using a Pixel 4. When collecting the car, I connected it via Bluetooth, then by USB cable. I went into smartlink (I think thats what it was called) and followed the instructions for Android Auto setup. Switched off the car and since then, I've had wireless Android Auto.

Same here (xiaomi 11t and redmi note 9 pro)

Edited by nauticat

On 11/10/2022 at 21:41, Hairy_Joe said:

Thanks. I think mine must be switched off in the manufacturer settings, I have read on the seat forums that some mib3 units have it set to usb only (even on latest software). Of course, the local dealer won't have a clue how you change it 😀

10 hours ago, Darkness22 said:

Thanks. I think mine must be switched off in the manufacturer settings, I have read on the seat forums that some mib3 units have it set to usb only (even on latest software). Of course, the local dealer won't have a clue how you change it 😀

Just checking that you have "phone calls", "media audio", "contact sharing" and "text messages" switched on in the phone Bluetooth settings? I've seen them being off stopping wireless Android Auto 

3 hours ago, Hairy_Joe said:

Just checking that you have "phone calls", "media audio", "contact sharing" and "text messages" switched on in the phone Bluetooth settings? I've seen them being off stopping wireless Android Auto 

Thanks, but they are all on. The mystery continues!

• Like 1

I don't know about you guys, but in my case, with the wireless AA running straight forward when I picked up the car, there's an issue with the wireless charging. My S20+ phone charging on the original charger of the car and running AA and occasionally a phone call, is not able to charge during a trip of ~200 km. It actually looses charge - about 10% of the battery - over the 2.5 hours of driving those 200 km. On top of that, it becomes hot as a Saharan summer day... If I use a cable it will actually charge and not get that hot, no matter how much I would exploit it. Anyone else having this kind of problem?
p.s. the phone case is not an issue; it was the 1st thing I thought about and removed the phone's silicon case to reduce the phone-charger distance.

5 hours ago, Hairy_Joe said:

You have wireless Android Auto on in the phone app itself? It's at the very bottom of the app....

Other than that, I'm stumped

Yep, even on the phone in the settings for Android auto it says it's wireless enabled. It just be a hardware setting that I can't access, but dealers can of they know what they are doing. 

17 hours ago, SkOmk4 said:

I don't know about you guys, but in my case, with the wireless AA running straight forward when I picked up the car, there's an issue with the wireless charging. My S20+ phone charging on the original charger of the car and running AA and occasionally a phone call, is not able to charge during a trip of ~200 km. It actually looses charge - about 10% of the battery - over the 2.5 hours of driving those 200 km. On top of that, it becomes hot as a Saharan summer day... If I use a cable it will actually charge and not get that hot, no matter how much I would exploit it. Anyone else having this kind of problem?
p.s. the phone case is not an issue; it was the 1st thing I thought about and removed the phone's silicon case to reduce the phone-charger distance.

This is normal . I have aftermarket wireless charger and the same problem... using aa, music and waze. My phone are the hot as f.... I think temperature raising is the normal process of wireless charging. So if charge wireless and you want phone cool, Don't use aa and other apps through aa.

5 hours ago, Lukasik said:

This is normal . I have aftermarket wireless charger and the same problem... using aa, music and waze. My phone are the hot as f.... I think temperature raising is the normal process of wireless charging. So if charge wireless and you want phone cool, Don't use aa and other apps through aa.

My iPhone 12 Pro gets hot when charging overnight using a genuine Apple magsafe wireless charger, so the heating is not restricted to aftermarket wireless chargers and even happens when the phone is almost idle sitting on my bedside table overnight.

Hi all, new to the forum and Skoda ownership. I've just collected my new to me Mk IV Octavia. After reading of the issues many have had with Android Auto, I was surprised when my phone connected wirelessly straight away. It seems to work flawlessly (so far). My car was first registered April 2021 and my phone is a Motorola G50.

During the 3 weeks (4 weekends) spent with my new Octavia, I had two phones connecting straight forward wirelessly to AA (both Samsung: a S20+ and a S21 Ultra). Over a 2-3 hours drive, both are not able to charge as fast as they drain battery, hence having a lower battery at the end of the trip than in the beginning; that's with the original wireless charging pad of the car. If I'm using the cable (the original Samsung) the battery will be quite constant - charging the amount it uses... On the other hand, with the wireless charging the phone will become quite hot; so for longer trips I think cable connection should be used.

This weekend I noticed for the first time directions from Waze showing up on the dashboard - the center-up position, where the clock is usually shown. However, what's extremely annoying is the fact that those directions come and go. Once they are shown, they will stay on the dashboard for the rest of the trip. But if you stop for a gas station or whatever other reason and you leave you car, AA disconnects and it reconnects when you return inside the car. The new AA connection might now show Waze directions on the dashboard. The statistics I have so far show a 50-50% probability. And that's for this weekend only; I never saw the Waze directions before, and I use Waze all the time.
Any ideas???

@SkOmk4, if you are setting one of your gauges to Routes you should be having them permanently, no matter if you stop the car and restart it. 

Popping them up is not consistent at all from what I have seen and I am.not sute if this happens on Iphones as well.

Now, it depends if you are willing losing the informatiom from the center of a gauge for the instructions of your route. 

One thing that annoys the hell out of me is the fact that Android Auto, on my infotainment, is usually sluggish and sometimes has a big lag when it comes to user interaction (for example typing an address, scrolling through recent destinations, zooming in and out). This happened to me on 3 devices: one Huawei P30 Pro, one P30 and one S7. Tried two Iphones, there is no lag or sluggishness. I am inclined to think that my infotainment has a problem, or Android Auto is poorly optimized across all smartphones. 

1 hour ago, Jugaroo said:

if you are setting one of your gauges to Routes you should be having them permanently,

That's the nice thing about it: you don't loose any of the Info inside the two gauges (or the left&right sides - for those using the other virtual dashboards). The driving directions are displayed on the center-top side of the dash, where you normally have the clock showing. I don't have a problem to loose the click against those detailed Waze-directions. I'll upload a picture when I get the opportunity; this weekend I wasn't lucky enough to have it displayed - I was stuck with the clock HH:MM.

The one attached is found online - only to show what's the region I'm referring to - the clock display; Waze directions use an impressively large area, much more than the clock size!

OCTAVIA_G-TEC_08.jpg

You can see the indications in the upper area if you are having route set in one of the gauges, destination set in Waze, and you are attempting to change the information from the gauge which has the navigation indications set. 

But it doesn't become permanent.

That's the strange story... Each time it happened (only last weekend) I never touched the "content" of the gauges. I decided a while ago on what I keep in there as info, and I rarely scroll through those info. As a matter of fact, I don't even have "navi directions" activated in any of the left or right gauges.
On one occasion last weekend, I was trying to force the central display to show me waze-directions, because I was already almost convinced it was randomly working. I was on cable connection (wireless charging giving me less power than the consumption of wireless AA), I had those directions shown for more than 30 minutes and I stopped at a gas station. When I restarted I had the clock on display, so I tried to restart the AA connection. I tried from the car's MIB, but it didn't help. So I went on the Phone into Settings -> Apps -> AndroidAuto -> ForceStop. After that disconnected and reconnected the cable on the phone, AA started with Waze still keeping the old destination I previously set. The instant it restarted I had the waze directions on the dashboard (replacing the HH:MM) for a couple of seconds - not more that 5 - and then it came back to clock display...

Sad Cry GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

9 hours ago, Jugaroo said:

You can see the indications in the upper area if you are having route set in one of the gauges, destination set in Waze, and you are attempting to change the information from the gauge which has the navigation indications set. 

But it doesn't become permanent.

On the way back home this afternoon I tried exactly what you described. First, I activated "navigation directions" in the list of items to be displayed on the right side of the dashboard. Then I scrolled until I had the Waze directions shown; exactly as you pointed out, each time I was playing with that right side of the display to replace the navi-directions with something else, that information would be displayed for 1-2 seconds on the position of the clock. This behavior is reproduced every time.

What I described above was completely different. I had those Waze directions on the top-center position (replacing the clock) for about 30 minutes/50 km drive, until I stopped the car. And it was surely not the outcome of me pressing some magic button on the steering wheel or MIB. I don't play at all with the dashboard display while I'm driving; at least not after I decided what info to keep showing, after my first weekend with the car. The only buttons I use after each start are: "Car" then "Start/Stop Off" and then "Assist" (on the steering wheel) -> "Lane assist Off".

• 4 months later...
On 18/01/2021 at 10:04, Nissen82 said:

My S10 recently got Android 11 update. I tried to connect wireless to Android auto setting up hotspot in the car. Configuring hotspot needed a register and a data payment solution!? Im going nuts...infotainment allready has data connection. Why pay for another solution?

I had no problem with the Samsung S10e but have problem with 3 other brands (all Android 11). Also those 3, now using Xiaomi 11 Lite 5G do not connect automatically to Bluetooth, have to connect every drive manually