Who has owned their Octy for the longest?

My '56 plate was bought in Feb 2010 on 32,000 miles for £9,000. I just spent £700 today on a new DMF + clutch, at 165,000 miles. Passenger side front coil spring was replaced 2 years ago for £120.

£820 repair bills in 11 years! Shocking :D

• Like 1

Not quite on topic I suppose, but I bought my Octavia L&K 2.0TDI for £18,800 on the 3rd of March 2006. 

But then I P/Xed it for £4,250 on the 12th of December 2011 after 5 years 8 months and 52,900 miles. 

Can't remember any particular problems with it, but we were running the Octavia and a VW Polo at the time, and needed to change to a single mid-sized car as my wife wasn't comfortable driving the Octavia instead of her Polo.

So we changed to Golf Plus DSG only to find she didn't take to auto gearboxes!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CJJE said:

Not quite on topic I suppose, but I bought my Octavia L&K 2.0TDI for £18,800 on the 3rd of March 2006. 

But then I P/Xed it for £4,250 on the 12th of December 2011 after 5 years 8 months and 52,900 miles. 

Can't remember any particular problems with it, but we were running the Octavia and a VW Polo at the time, and needed to change to a single mid-sized car as my wife wasn't comfortable driving the Octavia instead of her Polo.

So we changed to Golf Plus DSG only to find she didn't take to auto gearboxes!! 

May have been cheaper to keep the octavia and change the wife!!

• Groan 1

I've had mine from new, June 4th 2008. I hope to get another 4 years or so to get my money's worth. It cost me £16500 and I'd like to get the depreciation down to less the £1000 a year. Is it sad that I know exactly how much fuel I've put in so far - a bit over 10300 litres averaging 48.763 mpg. Interestingly the fuel economy has got better as it's got older, once it passed 90k miles it's been averaging over 50mpg.

• Like 1

Owned my Vrs for 9.5 yrs now. Jobs done : new windscreen, rear wiper motor unit, discs failed early, drivers seat foam replaced, rear bump stops. New rear shocks being fitted soon. Probably replace front shocks and bump stops later. Car has been excellent and plan to keep for a while yet 

• 1 month later...

MkI, '51, tdi, ambiente,the most reliable car ever owned, including 2each Mb's and 2each Bmw's all from new.

Mk 2 L&K tdi, day '55, not as well made as Mk1 but still very good.

both still in daily use, secret of success? Keep away from main dealer servicing and maintenance!

• Like 1

I’ve had mine 6 days now, done 93 miles in it. But on reading this thread it seems others have owned theirs longer than that........

• Haha 1

I bought my 56 plate Octavia 1.9 tdi Elegance on 4th August 2011after my job relocated to a new base which was 50 miles away from home. After cycling 2 miles to work, I was now faced with a 100 mile daily commute, so needed a motor which could cope with that mileage comfortably and economically. 

And it was the best decision I ever made, despite a lot of p*ss taking from my mates when I said I was buying a Skoda! 🙄

She coped admirably with the mileage I was travelling and never let me down. When I bought her, she had 44k miles on the clock. She now has 168k miles. 

I retired two years ago and travel nowhere near as much as I used to but I just can’t bring myself to buy a new car. 

Recently, an intercooler pipe split which cost me £90 for a new one and £30 to fit by a mate of mine. Besides that, regular maintenance and replacing a couple of rear suspension springs that’s about all that’s gone wrong. 

If I’m honest, I can’t see myself ever getting shut of it. They certainly don’t make ‘em like that anymore! 

Edited by flying pig
  • Like 2

On 21/03/2021 at 17:23, twoskods said:

MkI, '51, tdi, ambiente,the most reliable car ever owned, including 2each Mb's and 2each Bmw's all from new.

Mk 2 L&K tdi, day '55, not as well made as Mk1 but still very good.

both still in daily use, secret of success? Keep away from main dealer servicing and maintenance!

I will second that, I followed the same path taking the MK1 up to 325000 miles over 13 years from 3 years old, then a MK2, same observations as yours, it was the slight dissapointment with the MK2 compared to MK1 combined with boredom that made me buy a written off Yeti as a project, it was a great decision as a project but despite behaving currently it will be less reliable than its predecessors but nothing could measure up to them.

• 2 weeks later...

My 1.6 Elegance was purchased new on August 20th 2006. 

It's done just over 100,000 miles, fully serviced but showing its age on the outside now. 

• 3 months later...
40 minutes ago, StuartA said:

Interesting that the two cars with the longest ownership since new are both 1.6 FSI Elegance!

Mine went in June. Was gutted to see it go but it owed me nothing and sadly, things started to go wrong as I was debating if to scrap or sell. 

I sold it to a scrap dealer. 

I bought my 54 plate 2.0 TDi in July 2008. Still got it. Best car. I’ve ever had. Recent MOT had two advisories about the suspension bushes being a little worn. I’ll keep it until it dies or diesel is outlawed. 

• 1 year later...

Bit late to the game, but I was speaking to a guy yesterday that drove his to 380k!😳

I just paid £250 for a 2005 Ambient with 243k on the clock, only one register owner, guy had been clinging on to it for 17years!! body work isn’t spectacular with a few bumps here and there, but the interior is pretty amazing for the age of her! 

Still undecided as to what I should do with my Elegence estate (turbo went a few weeks ago and she only has 180k on the clock)! 
411CF038-C487-4E25-9DC8-BC725E82C62A.thumb.jpeg.1f37af9363d27082bb21a08e6b73a820.jpeg

@FiiiTZiii

I'd be 100% sure the turbo is shagged, it could just be a bad electrical connection to the various sensors, the solenoid block, a leaky vacuum hose, actuator or carbon deposits.

Edited by MicMac

I owned my Octy 2 same colour as @FiiiTZiii 1.9 elegance 2005/55 since 2009 with 28k on it. Now has about 260k on it. Original turbo. New SM flywheel and clutch. New rear shocks. One front broken spring. Alternator pulley replaced. Cupra style console bushes. As it’s been a motorway car most of its life, rust is the enemy, sills and a few other areas. It just keeps on going though. Starts first time. Services every 10k with fresh oil and filter. Original exhaust and wheel bearings. 
the boot is massive on the hatch.