Recent thread closures / removals ( Political et al tit for tat )

ColinD

• ColinD pinned this topic
35 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

its pretty bad this has been needed, but needed it has become.

as an outsider - foreign paddy with no affiliation to any particular viewpoint and so a little more independent position- watching the devolution and breakdown of conversation and debate here has been disappointing. solid members with knowledge to share have jacked it purely because of the socio-political divides created in recent years.

no doubt this has infected much more than just briskoda - media, news, twitter (a cesspool anyway...) and Zuckerlandia... (even the ebaumsworld comment section!!) are just full of faux outrage and self appointed experts in everything barking at each other because all that knowledge is from the increasingly biased information feeds they get courtesy of tracking cookies and flawed algorithms that lead to a reduction to 1 of a few base viewpoints. the law of diminishing returns one could argue..

what seems to be overlooked or ignored though is the fact that all the social division does is actually make it easier for the powers that be to get away with doing what they want - we are all so distracted fighting with each other about what change we want that those in charge dont need to change anything and continue to milk the systems for their own gain. 

Colin is 100% correct - 

Collaboration is how to fix it all, its also the scariest of potentials for a political establishment to think about "the plebs have reached a united consensus! we are all screwed! how do we keep control???"

mend fences people, or better yet take them down and share the garden ;)

jaysus i sound like a conspiratorial buddha or somethin 😬

Alll so very spot on. You see it, I see it; shame the rest don't see they are being "had over" by the likes of,  well better not name names and orginsations, self appointed or otherwise.

As the say, divide and conquer, or as we used to say in certain quarters, "If you want a compliant population, scare the sh-t out of them"; I wonder when THAT last happened? Don't think we need to look too far back, do we.

• Like 4

Arsonists pretending to be firefighters aren't helpful IMO.

I've always maintained, if people don't like the topic/ find it uncomfortable, walk away. It's what you'd do IRL. Well, I do.

It's a shame that the goalposts kept moving at the behest of some people. People complied and adjusted their angle to get the ball in the net yet the new goalposts were shifted again. Things had to be current/ from certain sources etc etc but from when or where wasn't made clear. 

I won't go into the personal digs that have been ongoing and became worse since my location changed or the topic of 'downvote trolls' etc etc.

I just feel it's a shame that it's come to this but respect the decision. 

• Like 2
  • Groan 2

Raised my concerns some time ago on this very subject. 

All I have to say in direct response is the following - which I feel is quite apt given views above yet posts made elsewhere:

Some people’s idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone says anything back, that is an outrage.

- Winston Churchill 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

I won't go into the personal digs that have been ongoing and became worse since my location changed or the topic of 'downvote trolls' etc etc.

I'm ingesting all the main topic info and don't have anything additional to say on that but thought the above points had been dealt with.

If there is any repeat then please let us know. :thumbup:

• Like 1

As I said about political threads in the post regarding moley and his sad departure, if I ignore them I do leave the site feeling happier! So on that basis, good decision made ColinD. :)

Now, can I get back to my favourite subject, the MK1 Octi. Did I ever mention I had one for 12 yrs once..................... I'll get me coat !! :rofl:

• Like 1

Your site, your rules. As every social media platform has learnt over time, rules are unfortunately needed. Fully support you

And what an absolute pleasure to be able to read through many pages of the "All activity" feed without seeing a single cross word or bunfight, if only the other remaining forums were how this one has got back to being, too much to expect from the one I use most for English speaking immigrants in France who call themselves ex-pats, the bitterness is too entrenched now.

Thank you again ColinD!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

if only the other remaining forums were how this one has got back to being, too much to expect from the one I use most for English speaking immigrants in France who call themselves ex-pats

Spill the (french) beans @J.R. - just for reference in case other people are experiencing cold turkey! ;)

2 minutes ago, john999boy said:

Spill the (french) beans @J.R. - just for reference in case other people are experiencing cold turkey! ;)

French ;) 
I'm confused as to what he means by 'entrenched bitterness' myself.

14 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

French ;) 
I'm confused as to what he means by 'entrenched bitterness' myself.

I’m sure he’s only referring to the unnamed (so far) expat forum Lee...............

Please oh please say that is so @J.R. as I’m sure you’ll agree that entrenched bitterness will never again darken the steps of Briskoda!

• Haha 1

Absolutely, I'm sure its the same for ex pat (I hate using that word) forums across all the EU countries that have a significant UK  citizen population, very strong opinions which have pretty much smothered the helpfull places that they once were.

If any were brave enough to take the step that Colin D has then they would lose 90% of the current postings,  most people who wanted to continue with the original aims of the forum (mutual aid) have already left or been hounded away. Its been painfull to see what was once a caring supportive community tear itself apart.

But at least it means that  there are places to go for those who can no longer use this forum as their outlet.

10 hours ago, J.R. said:

And what an absolute pleasure to be able to read through many pages of the "All activity" feed without seeing a single cross word or bunfight

You can customise your feed. 

But by the same token, I see lots of posts I don't want to see, agree with or whatever but either ignore or scroll by. 

I don't get the need to engage (by post or make a reaction as many did with the removed threads - yourself included), to something that you don't like. 

First word, and days until Christmas are 2 such waste of space threads I ignore instead of engage with.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gadgetman said:

But by the same token, I see lots of posts I don't want to see, agree with or whatever but either ignore or scroll by. 

I don't get the need to engage (by post or make a reaction as many did with the removed threads - yourself included), to something that you don't like. 

First word, and days until Christmas are 2 such waste of space threads I ignore instead of engage with.

I've run out of `likes`, but I do so agree with that last sentence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gadgetman said:

The difference is they do not have the level of 'animosity' that the 'hidden' threads did...

4 hours ago, gadgetman said:

Are you saying that I can customise my feed so that when I visit the site on the "all activity" page I will not see the plethora of new postings on those 2 threads?

If so then please explain how, I am all ears,  the first word thread postings are equally invasive and unwanted by me.

• Like 1