Recent thread closures / removals ( Political et al tit for tat )

ColinD

13 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Are you saying that I can customise my feed so that when I visit the site on the "all activity" page I will not see the plethora of new postings on those 2 threads?

If so then please explain how, I am all ears,  the first word thread postings are equally invasive and unwanted by me.

I'm sure @ColinDcan help you with yours.

Mine I only see what I subscribe to, and all activity is condensed so I only see the title etc. 

There's an option box at the top of the new activity page you'll need to tinker with for your own preferences 👍 

10 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

I'm sure @ColinDcan help you with yours.

Mine I only see what I subscribe to, and all activity is condensed so I only see the title etc. 

There's an option box at the top of the new activity page you'll need to tinker with for your own preferences 👍 

Only 2 options, neither of which mean anything to me, RSS feed and default feed I think, I only looked 30 seconds ago but have no short term memory.

Suffice to say other than subscribing to certain threads and only seeing postings from those threads which is not at all what I want to do, there is no way to not see certain threads.

But now that the political ones have gone its a million times better and for some reason there have been no postings on the word game thread, maybe people were indeed using it to get likes from collaborators.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, gadgetman said:

days until Christmas are 2 such waste of space threads I ignore

:( Andy will be sad if he ever comes back with that sort of talk 

;)

and part 10 is currently only getting a weekly update. 

the first word is annoying....

15 minutes ago, cheezemonkhai said:

First word is annoying, but also occasionally a 5 second break from the world doing your head in.

Not a big follower, but a very occasional poster (Guilty)

Nothing wrong with a guilty pleasure. Plenty pop in to blow off some steam and are always welcome.:thumbup:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

CM- perhaps, now is the time to look at posting rules. I posted on one thread"perhaps ban political posts", to get one poster head down the "management" route that all posts could be political. I name no poster, as it's obvious. But I fail to see what the long running Brexit sore has got to do with cars.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VWD said:

I fail to see what the long running Brexit sore has got to do with cars.

Cars made in the EU and "exported" to the UK, or made in the UK and "exported" to the EU now incur customs fees that did not apply before WrecksIt.

• Like 2

On 28/08/2023 at 22:07, VWD said:

CM- perhaps, now is the time to look at posting rules. I posted on one thread"perhaps ban political posts", to get one poster head down the "management" route that all posts could be political. I name no poster, as it's obvious. But I fail to see what the long running Brexit sore has got to do with cars.

Apologies but I felt I had to correct the above.

Let's be clear here. Firstly, there's no need to omit who replied to you if it's obvious. I don't mind at all if you name me. In fact I'd have a little more respect for you if you did.

Secondly, and, more importantly; I did not say 'all posts could be political'.

What I said was if you want to talk about (insert subject) then there will be a political element to it such as bin collections or even potholes in the road which can cause suspension problems if you're unfortunate. 

As mentioned, due to the UK decision to make itself a third country, this will cause major problems for the UK automotive industry and the companies that supply them due to incoming Rules of Origin. 

I see the Government has, yet again, postponed import checks from the EU into the UK for a fifth time. Some say this is because the government knows how damaging this would be to food supplies. Checks on goods into the EU are being carried out which means I cannot source my favourite cheese so easily. It also means there is a possibility low quality meat, fruit, veg is entering the UK unchecked. Taking back control apparantly. 

Sticking ones head in the sand does not make the problems disappear. One must face up to the new issues one has to deal with now the UK has left the EU which is it's closest trading partner. Geography won't change that. Trying to trade more with far away countries won't change that or alter reality no matter what the likes of Kemi Badenoch say. CPTTP will add almost nothing despite what the papers sell you.

Father Ted and Dougal 'those cows are far away'.

It would be nice if one day, hope upon hope, we could have a rational discussion about the problems the UK exit of the EU has caused and will continue to cause without people who, IME voted for it, trying to shut down that discussion for one reason or another be that guilt, shame, regret or something else and unnecessary thread closures happened. 

Edited by @Lee
  • Confused 1

Cheezemonkhai.

Your warning has been heeded by all but one, serious question, are you perhaps related?

12 hours ago, J.R. said:

Cheezemonkhai.

Your warning has been heeded by all but one, serious question, are you perhaps related?

Perhaps I should rephrase my comment on banning and say "BAN ANY POST ENDING IN "EXIT". Since the referendum ( where many political biased organisations have tried to influence/ get changed by possibly illegal means), it still remains law. For those who dont like it, perhaps they might consider respecting the political views of other posters.

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

1 hour ago, VWD said:

For those who dont like it, perhaps they might consider respecting the political views of other posters.

I don't wish to be drawn any further into this but every poll now shows that the UK thinks leaving the EU was a mistake.

Your comment about trying to overturn the result has no basis in fact. It's complete nonsense. 

You're in a minority now. 

I respect your view but it's a minority view.

Perhaps you could take your own advice?

Edited by @Lee
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, @Lee said:

I don't wish to be drawn any further into this but every poll now shows that the UK thinks leaving the EU was a mistake.

Your comment about trying to overturn the result has no basis in fact. It's complete nonsense. 

You're in a minority now. 

I respect your view but it's a minority view.

Perhaps you could take your own advice?

It takes a big man to admit their wrong.

Never underestimate how much pride will allow vast amount of pain to one's self and to innocent others rather than reflect and admit a mistake.

I, like many of us working for international logistics firms made and continue to make billions out of the extra admin of BREXIT but even as a beneficiary it is plain to see one of the greatest acts of economic self harm in history.

As kids become voting age they should be able to see all the discussions that we held before the vote and continue to have so we try and get a better deal ie at least a Norway or Switzerland type agreement.  If we do even more UK businesses, like JLR, will increasingly move from the UK in to the EU.

We should always be civil to each other but also, in my view, continue to debate the facts of the case and the best course of action forward and I hope even though Briskoda is mainly a car forum, which I have been a member with for about 20 years, I hope it does have a corner, like now, to discuss non car stuff and whilst Skoda is a CZ HQ'd car company car manufacturer effects national financial well being and it would be a shame to lose more car companies than we already have ie Ford, more of JLR and to add Aston, McLaren, Nissan, Rolls etc would be a crying shame.  These car companies are struggling to get enough UK content in to their cars to meet changing EU origin rules and these change again in 90 days from now, the pain grow more and more so at some point big decision must be made like JLR already has to move much to Slovakia instead of being in Brum.

Preserve freedom of expression please ! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, EnterName said:

Briskoda is not a free speech platform.

Posting is a privilege, not a right.

And it costs money to run, hence I have been a Freedom Member here for the last 20 years.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, ColinD said:

Judgement call from a team member which I support.

Direction it was heading. As with politico stuff, more so with highly charged topics; it either resolves itself, through self moderation. Or we take a call on likely hood of it going sideways. That is our call :)

Ok, my first and hopefully only comment on Israel/Hamas/Gaza. I was deliberately avoiding the topic because of the sort of way it was likely to go, and how many of my personal block list were posting on it.

Good call, I hadn't seen recent postings but it was a good call based on previous activity.

8 hours ago, lol-lol said:

Closed. Removed completely ?

Hopefully. 🤞

The cognitive dissonance I suffered finding myself on the same side of a discussion as some on here was disturbing.

I'm happy to see that one disappear down the memory hole.

On 22/10/2023 at 09:32, Aspman said:

There is a reason they say never discuss politics and religion.

Aspman,  being born in the Highlands, politics/religion and football are topics best left outside forums, as you and I know too well. Years ago I did some part-time taxi driving to earn a bit of extra cash. One night i picked up two blokes who , on hearing my accent asked which team I supported. My reply was Partick Thistle, which stopped in tracks and ended the conversation .As Taggart once said "there's murder committed every fortnight at Firtee.

• Like 1