Android 10 Stereo £162 AliExpress gamble! Results:

1 hour ago, bryan008 said:

I took this one https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005003491079037.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2fra&spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.5a3f2e0evR3hMu

few instructions here https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/4000661674334.html?spm=a2g0s.imconversation.0.0.62163e5fzfbHBB

It came with 2 female usb, 4 pin and 6pin,

The other 4 pin is black, green, withe and red, i just checked the link above, and it could  be the radio interface... 

But now everything is working, i asked just to know but it doesn't really matter if all is gooing smoothly.

Yes i did turn on the ingnition with airbag disconnect, to see if the Android multimedia works, before rebuild everything and see there is a problem as always when i do something.

Could i do it myself with this ? https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005003488723366.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2fra&spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.54143c009IsXOC&mp=1, after googeling it i saw some tuto to cancel the fault,

I actually have no rear cam, and hesitating to buy one, but if it is a lot of problem like here don't know if i will do it or rather manage it

Thanks again

Your connections seem ok, in fact you can't really go wrong there is only one place for each plugs. 

Your airbag issue is strange, even When I got a dead battery I didn't get this sort of message.

I have a cheap elm reader that I used to clear codes on my Tiburon with the app  torque pro.

I never tried it on the Octavia so I can't tell if it Will work.

• Love it! 1

Removed mine today prior to selling car and put the MIB1 Bolero back in and DEAD! Screen dead rest works touch screen buttons etc just screen. Frigging video cable from glovebox to screen open circuit on VCDS and I don't have time to source a replacement. Seems to be £60 odd on Skoda parts for the cable and only a couple on eBay from Poland and Lithuania. Looks like for the sake of that one stupid 4 pin git I am going to have to put the android one back in now (FML WHAT A BALL ACHE) 

vcds.jpg

Edited by FUBAR

29 minutes ago, FUBAR said:

Removed mine today prior to selling car and put the MIB1 Bolero back in and DEAD! Screen dead rest works touch screen buttons etc just screen. Frigging video cable from glovebox to screen open circuit on VCDS and I don't have time to source a replacement. Seems to be £60 odd on Skoda parts for the cable and only a couple on eBay from Poland and Lithuania. Looks like for the sake of that one stupid 4 pin git I am going to have to put the android one back in now (FML WHAT A BALL ACHE) 

vcds.jpg

Sorry but I don't understand what happened. Did you damage a cable?

When I put mine back to disconnect the Bluetooth it worked ok

2 hours ago, nickytheshaft said:

Sorry but I don't understand what happened. Did you damage a cable?

When I put mine back to disconnect the Bluetooth it worked ok

When I put old one back in screen blank everything else inc touch screen worked, just no video feed at all. That's the one cable I didn't need to use so left plugged into the unit in glove box and was secured out of way under android head units wiring at other end behind screen zero damage. I made another cable from the USB one and that didn't work either so heck knows. Android now all back in and had to reconnect a feed for power to reversing camera as I'd already removed all that when doing dash cams etc FML what a faff! 

• Groan 1

On 13/02/2022 at 20:01, FUBAR said:

When I put old one back in screen blank everything else inc touch screen worked, just no video feed at all. That's the one cable I didn't need to use so left plugged into the unit in glove box and was secured out of way under android head units wiring at other end behind screen zero damage. I made another cable from the USB one and that didn't work either so heck knows. Android now all back in and had to reconnect a feed for power to reversing camera as I'd already removed all that when doing dash cams etc FML what a faff! 

So any luck with your screen?

41 minutes ago, nickytheshaft said:

So any luck with your screen?

No, wasn't any time to try much car now sold with android unit in it still. 

Edited by FUBAR

9 minutes ago, nickytheshaft said:

OK then the octavia adventure is over.

I've had loads of Octavia's will get a Mk4 at some point if they sort out the reliability issues. 

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

On 21/01/2022 at 19:57, wagster said:

I also have the boot handle camera and yes it is a bit of a pain to fit, mainly running the cables through the the rubber grommets where the the boot opens if you have the estate car.  I don't know how it will work installing the camera with the new head unit installed as I did it when I had the Amundsen fitted and I had to make some coding changes with Obdeleven to get the camera to work but without the Amundsen fitted you have no access to the 5F module to make the required changes. I guess you will need to test it before you run the cables and fit the camera to see if it works properly when you select reverse.

If I remember without looking you need to go into settings then factory settings then use the password 123456 and you should find a backup apk option. Once it has finished you go into file manager app and find the backed up folder and then transfer to memory stick. Also make sure you have show hidden files and if you have a folder called blink back that up as well as apparently that holds any licences for the unit. 

I've finally managed to run the cables for boot handle camera, but having a problem fitting the replacement handle.

The replacement handle seems to have two small plastic clips on either side and they aren't really holding the handle in place properly. Whereas, the original handle has one much larger metal clip on one side, which holds it in nicely.

Has anyone had the same problem with one of these camera boot handles?

The camera did come with a metal plate, but can't see how that helps. Am I missing something?

The camera I bought is this one here

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33035970515.html

20220219_171306.jpg

20220219_171223.jpg

10 minutes ago, londonmoog said:

I've finally managed to run the cables for boot handle camera, but having a problem fitting the replacement handle.

The replacement handle seems to have two small plastic clips on either side and they aren't really holding the handle in place properly. Whereas, the original handle has one much larger metal clip on one side, which holds it in nicely.

Has anyone had the same problem with one of these camera boot handles?

The camera did come with a metal plate, but can't see how that helps. Am I missing something?

The camera I bought is this one here

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33035970515.html

There should have been a metal piece as pictured in ad that came with it which is used on the inside and the 2 threaded studs go through it and it's held on with that from inside. 

image.thumb.png.9633c498bc8591fa82a67af480dc267d.png

Edited by FUBAR

3 minutes ago, FUBAR said:

There should have been a metal piece as pictured in ad that came with it which is used on the inside and the 2 threaded studs go through it and it's held on with that from inside. 

Ah I see. I was confused how the metal plate would be held in place as there are no nuts provided to thread onto the studs. Are you supposed to provide the nuts yourself?

9 minutes ago, londonmoog said:

Ah I see. I was confused how the metal plate would be held in place as there are no nuts provided to thread onto the studs. Are you supposed to provide the nuts yourself?

I think it's just 2X 10mm nuts, but that's how to hold it on, the crimped edges sit on inside against the inside of boot lit itself making it stand up away from it. I just used a tiny touch of epoxy on mine to hold it in place as I mangled my metal bit thinking it went on from the outside and cut it down to make it fit that way like a moron lol. 

Edited by FUBAR

1 hour ago, FUBAR said:

I think it's just 2X 10mm nuts, but that's how to hold it on, the crimped edges sit on inside against the inside of boot lit itself making it stand up away from it. I just used a tiny touch of epoxy on mine to hold it in place as I mangled my metal bit thinking it went on from the outside and cut it down to make it fit that way like a moron lol. 

Thanks for that FUBAR. I suspect it's going to be fun trying to get my fingers or a spanner inside the boot metalwork to put the nuts on the threads in situ. More skin off my knuckles!

23 minutes ago, londonmoog said:

Thanks for that FUBAR. I suspect it's going to be fun trying to get my fingers or a spanner inside the boot metalwork to put the nuts on the threads in situ. More skin off my knuckles!

The job is never finished until you leave DNA behind! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, FUBAR said:

The job is never finished until you leave DNA behind! 

21 hours ago, FUBAR said:

Tried the attaching the metal plate with nuts on the inside of the boot. I've tightened them up as much as I can but there is a gap of a 5mm or so between the lip of the metal plate and the boot so the catch wobbles about. see photo attached. Am I doing something wrong?!20220220_152917.thumb.jpg.3b1185f2ba81bfc4bad1230bd4e1912f.jpg

3 minutes ago, londonmoog said:

Tried the attaching the metal plate with nuts on the inside of the boot. I've tightened them up as much as I can but there is a gap of a 5mm or so between the lip of the metal plate and the boot so the catch wobbles about. see photo attached. Am I doing something wrong?!20220220_152917.thumb.jpg.3b1185f2ba81bfc4bad1230bd4e1912f.jpg

Is the replacement handle EXACTLY the same size as old one (there are 2 sizes on the Mk3 Octavia's)? The little clips at side of new one should clip in and hold it in place almost enough on their own then the backing plate on to make sure it doesn't come off when slammed etc 

16 minutes ago, londonmoog said:

Just measured both handles to double check I'm not going mad. The original and replacement are both 93mm long by 36mm wide.

In pic looks like the side parts of the metal plate is perhaps pushing back against the side clips on the handle itself? Could bend those out slightly and put back on again see if it helps. 

4 hours ago, FUBAR said:

In pic looks like the side parts of the metal plate is perhaps pushing back against the side clips on the handle itself? Could bend those out slightly and put back on again see if it helps. 

The picture on aliexpress shows the gap the same as mine. You can see in the photo that there is quite a gap between the metal plate and the back of the black handle. On my Octavia boot there isn't anything else between the inside surface and outside surface apart from the thickness of the boot body metalwork. The metal bodywork is clearly a lot thinner than the gap in this picture which I guess is why it isn't clamping when I tighten the nuts.

Is it supposed to just clamp either side of the boot metal body work? I'm wondering if I'm missing something on the inside surface of the metal bodywork which gives it extra thickness?

Hd9f76c31171e41bda5526a85536cc5fbh.webp

Edited by londonmoog

9 hours ago, nickytheshaft said:

Maybe you should try to insert a peace of rubber or something between the metal plate and the trunk (in the gap) to be able to apply more pressure on the handle

I've got some plastic shims, so will give them a try them to see if they work.

• 2 weeks later...

So for those having Android auto not registering vocal input, I got the 1.8.8 version here

https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachments/tlink_dw-kr-_1-8-8_20211115032652-apk.5531837/

It is Frome this topic https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/list-of-tlink-versions-availables.4387577/

I installed it and it works flawlessly, internal and external mic ( well When external is connected, internal stays actif, I left myself a Voice mail going from one mic to the other and the sound was getting louder When going from one to the other)

After a full reset, in the latest firmware, putting an external mic and settings gain to medium gives a good sound.

After seeing a YouTube video, I ordered this electret amplifier board

https://a.aliexpress.com/_vBKWET

The plan is to use the useless usb port that only supplies power and am amplifi the external mic as now every one says they hear me but at a distance. This should close the gap.

I got the Idea from this video

Edited by nickytheshaft
  • Thanks 1

On 11/02/2022 at 17:49, bryan008 said:

I took this one https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005003491079037.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2fra&spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.5a3f2e0evR3hMu

few instructions here https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/4000661674334.html?spm=a2g0s.imconversation.0.0.62163e5fzfbHBB

It came with 2 female usb, 4 pin and 6pin,

The other 4 pin is black, green, withe and red, i just checked the link above, and it could  be the radio interface... 

But now everything is working, i asked just to know but it doesn't really matter if all is gooing smoothly.

Yes i did turn on the ingnition with airbag disconnect, to see if the Android multimedia works, before rebuild everything and see there is a problem as always when i do something.

Could i do it myself with this ? https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005003488723366.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2fra&spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.54143c009IsXOC&mp=1, after googeling it i saw some tuto to cancel the fault,

I actually have no rear cam, and hesitating to buy one, but if it is a lot of problem like here don't know if i will do it or rather manage it

Thanks again

Hi,

So I ended up going for the same bryan008 but 6gb/128gb and have a few wee niggles which Junsun have replied to each time tbf, but if anyone has any other suggestions that would be great.

1) The phone app crashes within a second of going into it, it sends me back to the main screen.  JS say I should update the firmware but tbh I don't know if I'm keen to do this (but will probably give it a go in the end).  They sent a link and instruction videos though so can't go wrong... 😕 

2) Guessing this maybe connected to no.1 but the maxidot does not show any call logs or contact details to phone out.  It does show a number and the option to hang up when on a call though.  It does show "No name" the battery and no bars of signal even if the phone has all bars when not in use.

3) When I change the kmh to mph on the main screen the figures still read in kmh even though it says mph!!  JS say to change the settings to "remember" in the About device settings which I have done.  I have not had a chance to check this as I am isolating atm although I suspect it won't have changed anything..

4) I have the same query with the extra 4pin in the main wiring block.  I connected it thinking it would maybe sort out the cars built in usb port and jack but it doesn't.  All is working but I have the 4pin usb sitting spare just now and ongoing discussion with JS to establish what the 4pin I have connected is for.  They think I have 2 x 4pin usbs just now 😞 I have attached a pic of the wiring as it is atm without the the 4pin usb attached.

I disconnected the airbag as well before I had realised what I had done but managed to clear it and 4 other faults at the same time with my OBDeleven, no problems since.

All in all I am happy with the purchase.  It was relatively easy to install (even for me the noob! 🙂) there was sufficient cable to reach across from the glovebox and all I needed to change was the doors in the settings and the canbus option which seems to be a given anyway.  All the steering wheel controls and the menus were as is, VRS button etc all grand.  The mic seems to be working fine (according to the missus) even if there is the slightest background noise when she is speaking (or anyone else for that matter ;) )The air conditioning screen does seem to appear randomly every now and then even though it is not set on auto not sure about this one! 

It did sound so much better than the standard headunit and even more so now I have added the Kenwood under seat woofer, cracking bit of kit!! 

And I also think it looks great and I have had a few nice comments about it too!  

I bought the Junsun ELM327 obd2 reader to go with it which works perfectly with the headunit and VAGDPF and the Torque apps.

Thanks

4pin.jpg

4pin 6pin.jpg