Constant creaking and rattling from Boot

Apologies if this topic has been covered before and please feel freelto remove it Admins.

My 2021 Ovtavia has an awful rattle and creaking noise which seems to be coming from the boot. Its like the catch is loose. Anyone have this issue and is there a fix for it.

Or is it something else completely

Cheers

Gar

I've got the same thing in my boot but can't work out what it is. It sounds like something is flapping up and down, almost as if the hatch is not closed tightly or the boot liner is not completely flat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ItalianJob said:

I've got the same thing in my boot but can't work out what it is. It sounds like something is flapping up and down, almost as if the hatch is not closed tightly or the boot liner is not completely flat.

Did you try to adjust those rubber stoppers? Try to unscrew them a bit.

Me too, it sounds like the boot floor is loose or the parcel shelf is loose. From the driver's seat it sounds like it comes from the rear left. I checked the rear left seat belt buckle and I don't think it's that. I don't think it's the boot lid either, it sounds like it comes from inside the boot. Mk4 hatchback.

• Like 1

It’s the boot door dampers. Some put silicon paste inside of them. I’ve just cross swapped them and adjust the rubber legs , and it’s resolved the issue. 

DABF163A-9445-454C-BA54-DB99FD30408D.jpeg

2 hours ago, iron3k said:

It’s the boot door dampers. Some put silicon paste inside of them. I’ve just cross swapped them and adjust the rubber legs , and it’s resolved the issue. 

DABF163A-9445-454C-BA54-DB99FD30408D.jpeg

I’m also having the issue , I can’t see any adjustment in these and they appear to fit only one way can you explain how you’ve adjusted them please. Thanks 

Thanks iron3k, i squirted some lithium based grease around the dampers for a complete cure. I don't have the tool so I did not try to adjust anything. I think it is just a greasing issue because the noise started recently and I had never heard it before.

6 hours ago, parsey83 said:

I’m also having the issue , I can’t see any adjustment in these and they appear to fit only one way can you explain how you’ve adjusted them please. Thanks 

Those are not adjustable. In the bottom of door you have rubber stands, those are adjustable, just like screws. But those alone will not resolve the rattling. 

The dampers that are making noise are just 2 pieces of plastic with spring between them. Silicon paste should help for a while. 

For me it´s "clonking" no squeking, did silicon grease solve that?  Tried to adjust the rubber dampers but no succes at all.  

11 hours ago, iron3k said:

Just push the door while it’s closed from one side and compare to the other side. If you here some sound, grease should solve it. 

Will try, thanks!

Hi

I had that on mine and just fixed it this morning it was driving me mad and your right sounds like the boot catch. Well i managed to fix it this morning

it is the boot stoppers to the right and left on the body of the car and the boot itself mine is the hatchback.  I took them off and and just below where the

torque screw is actually cut from a square piece felt that you put under chair legs on all 4 to pad them out and presto rattle gone.

if you shut the boot and press on the sides of the top off the boot where these stoppers meet and it makes  a noise like mine did then that's what it is

now I have fitted the felt pads and done this no noise nice and solid.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Cawdy

Today i bouught  a spraycan of white grease, sprayed the dampers and wiped of the excess, worked like a charm, no rattle, thanks for the tip @iron3k :biggrin:

i am having same issue, it is annoying, will have to figure something out as well, not sure if dealer would fix it, since it is just bad design from factory 

I have a similar sound to what you're describing on my 2016 Octavia VRS Estate, and for me it seems to be to do with the rear seats somehow. When I drive up the bumpy road to my house, it's like creak-creak-creak like you say coming from the rear somewhere, but if I've ever been to the tip or somewhere that requires me to have the rear seats folded down.....no creak-creak at all when I am coming home. One day I hope to find out what's causing it!

Hi everyone,

Please can you let me know specifically where you greased the two boot catches @GarHefDub

Did you grease the ones on the car body or the ones on the boot itself? And where exactly did you put the grease?

Thanks very much!

Mark

When you lft up the boot (So the back window i at head level....to the left and the right are the 2 catches...There is a circle in the middles. I just sprayed grease into there. I also compressed the spring with my hand by pressing the tab up and down and sprayed around the plastic that rubbed off the plastic outer.

Hope this helps

On 23/05/2021 at 13:51, simonds3135 said:

I have a similar sound to what you're describing on my 2016 Octavia VRS Estate, and for me it seems to be to do with the rear seats somehow. When I drive up the bumpy road to my house, it's like creak-creak-creak like you say coming from the rear somewhere, but if I've ever been to the tip or somewhere that requires me to have the rear seats folded down.....no creak-creak at all when I am coming home. One day I hope to find out what's causing it!

Have the exact same feeling that my rattle is also coming somewhere near the rear seat. If I remember correctly i also had the same sympthoms with my previous MK3 VRS seat latch/lock wich was fixed by the dealer at some point.

Hard to pinpoint the exact source as I also noticed that the plastic trim below next to the rear right hand side seat is also not as solid as it should be. This is the plastic trim covering rear door entry or sill area and meeting up with the second plastic trim piece which connects under rear seat cushion.

When adding some pressure with finger it almost feels as it is a bit loose (same rear left hand side trim is however more solid and makes no sound. 

It is driving me nuts, need to go and complain about it at the dealers.

On 26/05/2021 at 18:58, GarHefDub said:

Here ya go for location of the catches

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

I can confirm that this is the issue, i have been in boot while my car was driven and that is boot lid that is rattling. very poor design in my opinion, there supposed to be rubber...
not sure how to fix it tho

I've added some lubricant paste to the lock mechanism (the hook on the bottom where the lock latches onto) and to those side springy things and it fixed the thumping noise that was annoying me, added some to the seat latches on the back as well for good measure.

• Love it! 1