Constant creaking and rattling from Boot

On 27/05/2021 at 09:30, eevrs said:

Have the exact same feeling that my rattle is also coming somewhere near the rear seat. If I remember correctly i also had the same sympthoms with my previous MK3 VRS seat latch/lock wich was fixed by the dealer at some point.

Hard to pinpoint the exact source as I also noticed that the plastic trim below next to the rear right hand side seat is also not as solid as it should be. This is the plastic trim covering rear door entry or sill area and meeting up with the second plastic trim piece which connects under rear seat cushion.

When adding some pressure with finger it almost feels as it is a bit loose (same rear left hand side trim is however more solid and makes no sound. 

It is driving me nuts, need to go and complain about it at the dealers.

Hi @eevrs, did you find out what the rattle was? Mine's started doing this and the noise is coming from near the rear seat on the driver's side. I've greased the boot catches (and I even did a drive with it removed on that side!) so I know it's not that. I'll try laying the seats down to see if that stops it.

Thanks if you have any pointers.

Hi In my opinion it’s the boot if it’s a hatchback the black plastic  things on either side of the tailgate when you open it you can press them in which is what happens when the boot closes I put loads of grease into them and it stopped not done it since.

@Mark Hiscock my car is booked at dealer beginning of July to look into the rattles. I will post back and update once it is done.

Btw. mine´s a SW so the hatchback plastick thingies previously mentioned should not be the case here.

The only other thing is I seen a video on YouTube and a guy spoke about that and he literally got a pair of old socks put the rear seats down wrapped a sock around the metal clasp and slammed the seats back up and the rattle went it was where the metal part of the seat attaches to the clasp on the car body was rattling against each other. Just a thought 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Cawdy1972 said:

The only other thing is I seen a video on YouTube and a guy spoke about that and he literally got a pair of old socks put the rear seats down wrapped a sock around the metal clasp and slammed the seats back up and the rattle went it was where the metal part of the seat attaches to the clasp on the car body was rattling against each other. Just a thought 

That was going to be my next area of investigation. I'll give this a go!

17 minutes ago, Mark Hiscock said:

This is what it is on mine but I am yet to solve it. I just know that whenever I've been to the tip or got my seats down...no rattle/creak while the seats are down. Put them back up and it comes back :doh:

Edited by simonds3135
Can't spell

56 minutes ago, Mark Hiscock said:

Well, this fixed it! 

With the seat down there was no noise. My next step was to wrap some duct tape around the metal loop that the seat clasps onto. This has cured the rattling and also saved me from going quite mad. 

Thanks for the tip @Cawdy1972!

4 hours ago, Cawdy1972 said:

Seen this one on YT. I gave it a go with some electric tape around the metal part. Some improvement but did not fix 100% for me, slight buzzing noise remained when driving with radio/music OFF.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

Damn dumpers, simply design flaw. I went crazy and even removed everything from my trunk, and rattling noise was still there. Even though that there might be issue with hydraulic door lifters plastic shield, but at the end problem was definitely dampers. 

So I SOLVED the problem by following advice in this topic and applied two felt pads (left and right) and voila, rattling noise disappeared:)

E790B78F-0D0A-4C6E-9405-7451C6763FB5.jpeg

CF21005D-9FC6-400D-9766-7819315D8BA0.jpeg

• Like 2

Brilliant I just think there isn’t enough pressure pushing against the latch when it’s closed to prevent it rattling around.  I had another rattle coming from the drivers door couldn’t for the life of me work out what it was turned out it was the umbrella 😂 took it out problem solved 😳😂

6 hours ago, Cawdy1972 said:

Brilliant I just think there isn’t enough pressure pushing against the latch when it’s closed to prevent it rattling around.  I had another rattle coming from the drivers door couldn’t for the life of me work out what it was turned out it was the umbrella 😂 took it out problem solved 😳😂

I got a rattle on the drivers door as well and it stops when i press on the leather part even slightly, in my case it isn't the umbrella because SKODA in all its wisdom shipped Octavias to Portugal with a freakin' snow brush instead so i just drive around with the compartment empty.

On 27/05/2021 at 11:30, eevrs said:

Have the exact same feeling that my rattle is also coming somewhere near the rear seat. If I remember correctly i also had the same sympthoms with my previous MK3 VRS seat latch/lock wich was fixed by the dealer at some point.

Hard to pinpoint the exact source as I also noticed that the plastic trim below next to the rear right hand side seat is also not as solid as it should be. This is the plastic trim covering rear door entry or sill area and meeting up with the second plastic trim piece which connects under rear seat cushion.

When adding some pressure with finger it almost feels as it is a bit loose (same rear left hand side trim is however more solid and makes no sound. 

It is driving me nuts, need to go and complain about it at the dealers.

On 23/05/2021 at 13:51, simonds3135 said:

I have a similar sound to what you're describing on my 2016 Octavia VRS Estate, and for me it seems to be to do with the rear seats somehow. When I drive up the bumpy road to my house, it's like creak-creak-creak like you say coming from the rear somewhere, but if I've ever been to the tip or somewhere that requires me to have the rear seats folded down.....no creak-creak at all when I am coming home. One day I hope to find out what's causing it!

Had the same problem, was driving me crazy. The rear seat was always creaking on uneven surfaces. Went to the dealer to complain, they oiled the rear seat release mechanisms and no problems since.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I had the same problem with my MK4. Last week the car went to 15 000 km service and I mentioned the rattle in the back. The dealer told that there is a recall for that problem and they replaced the spring dampeners on the boot free of charge.

Everything is quiet now, it's like I'm driving a new car 😄. The new dampeners feel a lot stiffer than before.

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

4 hours ago, OctaviaPetrolHead said:

Great news. Is it redesigned dampener or just a new piece?

To my knowledge the parts were replaced and they physically feel like they have stronger springs in them. I don't know if the old parts were defective components or just bad design from the start.

4 hours ago, derdewyl said:

Hi all, I had the same problem with my MK4. Last week the car went to 15 000 km service and I mentioned the rattle in the back. The dealer told that there is a recall for that problem and they replaced the spring dampeners on the boot free of charge.

Everything is quiet now, it's like I'm driving a new car 😄. The new dampeners feel a lot stiffer than before.

Do you mean this parts?

https://m.oemvwshop.com/5ja827249b-buffer-p302630/

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, derdewyl said:

Yes, these were replaced for new ones.

Ok, i change these parts, myself last winter.took car two times to dealer,they do nothing that helps.so i bought these parts to myself,cost 2xpieces 20€. That help,my car has been now silence at the back 6months

Edited by Supe
  • Love it! 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 03/11/2021 at 11:36, ItalianJob said:

Gone with the felt pad option, it looks crap but it works. Shame it doesn't fix the infotainment system 😀

£1 for a pack of 24 from Amazon.

PXL_20211103_081713166.jpg

PXL_20211103_081733860.jpg

Rattle1. As mentioned above it's the hard plastic sprung boot shocks (awful design), I also found with help on here, Rattle2. Wrap a small amount of fabric duck tape around the D Ring catches for the release bracket of the 60/40 seats , Rattle3. Remove the umbrella or snow brush from their (again bad design) slots in the front doors.

My car is now silent....

- other than the rear dong/clunk sound I put down to the rear suspension being a live axile cheap design...unless someone on here has found out what that is (it's been in so often with software that the safety check underneath they do I hope would have noted a major error!)

But it's back in tomorrow as it's sent more software error codes to the factory... absolutely shocking build / design

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a very consistent knock also from the back of the boot, very annoying. However, during my annual car service, I complained to the dealer and they replaced the “dampeners” with new ones (free of charge) stating that they are making replacements on almost every vehicle due to the number of complaints. The new ones are quite elastic, with “spring” offering very quiet driving. Almost like a different car now.

Just got back from VW (it's much closer than the Skoda dealer) and they fixed it by tightening the boot hinges, apparently they weren't tight enough.

The problem for me is that I took the car there mainly to fix the rear passenger door panel rattle and they were surprised (as was I) to find that the warranty for "parasitic noises" is only good for 6 months.... Thanks Skoda... Could have told me that when i was buying the car, i don't mind fixing noises in the future myself, i work on a VW car plant so it's not like i'm afraid of messing around with car plastics since i deal with them every day, and i can always ask the people who assemble the doors at the factory about any tips, but Skoda doesn't seem to put much faith into their own cars in terms of warranty length, then again i wouldn't either if i was building VW cars with really dodgy and cheap flimsy door panels.

On 26/08/2021 at 18:14, Jack_Dangerous said:

I got a rattle on the drivers door as well and it stops when i press on the leather part even slightly, in my case it isn't the umbrella because SKODA in all its wisdom shipped Octavias to Portugal with a freakin' snow brush instead so i just drive around with the compartment empty.

I got the snow brush too. Really useful in the Algarve!