What saddened you today?

Breezy_Pete

I'm very pleased to hear the outcome was positive Pete.

Would something like that have been picked up by a coloscopy or only through blood tests?

I am probably due another coloscopy, I must check the date of the last one. My mother died at 45 from cancer of the colon, I had just turned 15.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Short answer yes, but a flexible sigmoidoscopy (partial look around up there, not as far round) wouldn't have found it.

Colonoscopy was the definitive diagnostic investigation, but apparently iron deficiency anaemia (there are other types of anaemia) in men is virtually always associated with 'something' unwelcome growing somewhere in the pipework between mouth and anus.

• Like 4

Blimey!  

Glad to hear good news Pete (relatively speaking in terms of clouds and silver linings), and that you're making a good recovery 👍

Gaz

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Short answer yes, but a flexible sigmoidoscopy (partial look around up there, not as far round) wouldn't have found it.

Colonoscopy was the definitive diagnostic investigation, but apparently iron deficiency anaemia (there are other types of anaemia) in men is virtually always associated with 'something' unwelcome growing somewhere in the pipework between mouth and anus.

Good luck, Pete. As someone who also recently had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy, for me the worst part was the day before. Boy, when they say they want you empty, the really mean empty! I can't recall it stinging like that before ever!
It turned out I had some polyps in my colon but all other tests came back OK thankfully. I had been having blood in my stools but this is possibly due to IBS. The doc wants to see me again in November for a check up or sooner if there's any more blood.
Again, good luck :thumbup:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Ta Lee. Yes the prep for colonoscopy is not subtle. 😆

Funnily enough, for the op itself all I had to do was be on clear fluids only for about 32 hours pre-op.

ive not had the "pleasure" myself, but missus mac has had 2 Colonoscopies over the yrs...

its horrendous watching your partner go through that prep day... good god almighty it was rough.

We were supposed to be up on the Wirral, visiting friends today. But we couldn’t go, because my mate Matilda hasn’t been well ☹️

This is Matilda;

2D5176A9-EC03-4FAD-8987-A87F5E02996C.thumb.jpeg.4705c0ee76fae30296a0b2fceb8dae1b.jpeg

And she’s just home from having spinal surgery;

0B537B42-1FA3-4ED8-8748-0412B2AFDA34.jpeg.0769f461d06aad3a6f54e325cd035c53.jpeg

Big ol’ plaster for a Dachshund.

Looking forward to going up to see her once she’s back on her feet. But she needs rest rather than mucking around with me right now!

Gaz

• Sad 7

Thanks Mick - ‘tildy’s not mine, she’s up on the Wirral. We aborted going up coz she’s not up to me and her doing zoomies around the lounge, which she’d want to do.

We decided to still go away, and I’m currently in a B&B in Dorset. Have had a nice day at Lulworth Cove and on Portland Bill. Home tomorrow.

Gaz

• Like 4

Sorry to read about Matilda @Gaz

It's always awful when an animal is unwell. More so when it's your own pet.

Hopefully she'll soon be back in good health and you can be reunited.

All the best for you all.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

Thanks Mick - ‘tildy’s not mine, she’s up on the Wirral. We aborted going up coz she’s not up to me and her doing zoomies around the lounge, which she’d want to do.

We decided to still go away, and I’m currently in a B&B in Dorset. Have had a nice day at Lulworth Cove and on Portland Bill. Home tomorrow.

Gaz

Enjoy yerself mate lovely place is dorset 👍

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We finished watching the Big Bang Theory and Better Call Saul. It's always a bit sad to finish a tv show you've enjoyed for a long while.

• Like 4

gonna make a few other people sad too i think, Norn Ir'n lads in particular, such as @FUBAR

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2023/0210/1355860-road-racing-northern-ireland/

ridiculous insurance costs ruining another way people can have fun and do what they love doing.

• Sad 5

Lost of little dog Dinky yesterday a year after her being diagnosed with heart failure.  She was such a character, although had many health problems, was brave and stubborn. She will be missed.

IMG_20230111_090701.thumb.jpg.4eee4af1a68e7e8e84e8a5d9108fa5ab.jpg  

• Sad 9

5 hours ago, io1901 said:

Lost of little dog Dinky yesterday a year after her being diagnosed with heart failure.  She was such a character, although had many health problems, was brave and stubborn. She will be missed.

She will be missed for a long time....

About 10 years ago we lost a little westie, that we had fostered for a while, also from heart failure. We buried her under an apple tree. We still have photos of her pinned up and still miss her.

• Thanks 1

Had to have our Georgie put down today, would have been 14 next Monday.

Arthritis in nearly all joints, advanced Kidney failure so not too much longer left but final decision made after she started collapsing with back legs giving way constantly.

Been off here for a while due to 'stuff and life' so hopefully I'm on the way back

3 months old.....

IMAGE-031.jpg

The house is so quiet now 😒

• Sad 12

Didn't get the job I applied and interviewed for.

I interviewed very well but someone else interviewed a little better, I was 2nd apprently.
Have been asked if I will be reserve candidate should #1 not go through with things.

Bit disappointed, was hoping to get out of the audits coming up at work 😁

• Sad 7

2 hours ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Kinda off-topic as I'm not really saddened by this, but I'll let myself off as the associated previous discussion of my bowel cancer has all been in here I think.

As expected; a little chemotherapy has been suggested at today's meeting with my surgeon. Details will be firmed up in a week when I meet my Oncologist, but likelihood is that it will be in tablet form, and of only 3 months duration. "As good as it gets", I'm thinking. 🙂

If my FILs situation was anything to go by I'd call that a massively positive result!!

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1