Rattles and Creaks

ayrshiredude

So have had my Kamiq for 9 months now and the number of rattles and creaks is becoming a joke.  Honestly its the worst car I have ever had for this.  Its been back at the dealer a few times but they never seem to be able to fix the issues.  The latest one is a twanging sound coming from the central arm rest area. It's like something is loose inside the arm rest.  If I thump the arm rest on the side it makes the same noise.  It was in the dealers last week for this and they said, though they could hear it, they didn't think replacing the arm rest would solve it????

Anyone else having this issue?

• Crying 1

Hello,

You're not alone! I've been having these issues since i bought the car too... In my case the weather strips were making sounds all the time! Especially on uneven roads! Chassis has a lot of movement and it makes weird sounds from the doors! Also the plastics are making sounds! Cockpit, back of the infotainment and the handle of the door is awful! (I am thinking to open it up and add some insulation tape) 

In general, silicone spray would solve some of those... (i haven't used it).

Dealership can't deal, i think, with these issues since some parts are poorly or badly engineered.

Any other ideas? 

Edited by Guest

All modern cars make noises, I get great satisfaction from using a wipe of silicone or polish on plastics and doorseals, it can be very satisfying.

The older cars had bigger gaps in interior fittings so tended not to rub.

Edited by gumdrop

Any suggestions on the silicone spray?

On 07/09/2021 at 13:04, gumdrop said:

All modern cars make noises, I get great satisfaction from using a wipe of silicone or polish on plastics and doorseals, it can be very satisfying.

The older cars had bigger gaps in interior fittings so tended not to rub.

4 hours ago, JohnGR said:

4 hours ago, JohnGR said:

Don't just squirt it, apply it to a cloth and/or strip of cloth, use the strip to see-saw into gaps between panels (if there are any) where they might rub.

Door seals just wipe around the rubber, this is especially useful in the winter to  help stop seals freezing to the door aperture. to

Mine has developed a vibration rattle under the dashboard on the passenger side (UK). Only shows up at certain speeds and engine rpm but I've been unable to find what's causing it. The car is less than a year old so it's really frustrating.

Unfortunately it seems to be something within the dashboard itself that may not be accessible without disassembly.

As it doesn't happen all the time I don't hold out much hope that the dealer will be able to find it and fix it under warranty.

Mine has just developed a rattle on the driver's door card. It sounds like it's around where the door handle is or arm rest. Car has hit 1,200 miles it only rattles on uneven surfaces.

Sending my OCD crazy 😂 but I think I can live with it.

My opinion is in this day it's still a cheap car, if you wanted ultimate quality maybe a Skoda wasn't for you.

Edited by AJ89

i took my car in for it's 1st service a couple of weeks ago.. 5 days befoe the 12 month warranty expired.  I told them of a rattling from the area of the virtual cockpit.  they told me that "rattles and creaks etc" where only covered for the first six months.

They could look at it, at a cost of £130 basic

Edited by Heat

• 1 month later...

I have booked my car in to Mitchell skoda chester on Monday 25 October to have the "Virtual cocckpit" area noise nullified.  

The integral plastic around it is VERY hard. On the harsh more rural roads i drive on...i hope to have a "squeeky" less experiience

ps   they are charging me a "not" minor cost to to do what "may not solve the problem"

• 1 year later...

Hi, I have had my Kamiq SEL DSG for 15 months, love the car but a couple of rattles and squeaks drove me mad for a while till I managed to fix them.

1st one under the steering column and was fixed by using a bit of padding between steering column and the heater pipe and making the plastic heater pipe more rigid with a cable tie.

The other noise, rattle/clunk over uneven surfaces on the lower near side took me 10 months to trace but eventually I found that if you get down and look just above the bonnet release handle there is a 3 inch or so rectangular box in a holder that kept jiggling about. I jammed an extra piece of sponge in holder and then used some Duck tape to stop movement and instant success!!

Hope this helps anyone, and 5 months later all still quiet.

One other bad place for causing weird noises is if you put anything in overhead cubby, I never use this now.

My Kamiq is the best car I’ve ever owned for rattles and creaks. Hardly any.  I’ve driven Audis, (crappy) BMW’s and everything in between and the Kamiq is by far the better built and put together.  Maybe you got a Friday afternoon car?

There ISNT a car out there that at some point doesn’t creak or rattle, fact.  The complexity of a built car coupled with the imperfections of roads means that at some point any car will rattle/creak/vibrate.  Granted, some more than others but still, every single car ever built has and will creak/rattle/vibrate at some point.

Simple physics.

Edited by carefree
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/07/2023 at 20:08, carefree said:

My Kamiq is the best car I’ve ever owned for rattles and creaks. Hardly any.  I’ve driven Audis, (crappy) BMW’s and everything in between and the Kamiq is by far the better built and put together.  Maybe you got a Friday afternoon car?

There ISNT a car out there that at some point doesn’t creak or rattle, fact.  The complexity of a built car coupled with the imperfections of roads means that at some point any car will rattle/creak/vibrate.  Granted, some more than others but still, every single car ever built has and will creak/rattle/vibrate at some point.

Simple physics.

I love it when people present opinions as fact. My 20 year old Lexis LS400 never had a rattle or squeak in ten years of ownership. Fact. My 6 year old Audi A4 Avant has never had a rattle  or a squeak. Also a fact. If either made a noise I would know because I'm sensitive to such things and they would drive me nuts.

On 18/07/2023 at 20:08, carefree said:

• Like 1

Oh mate come on…..are you telling me that something with thousands of moving parts which rolls on our rough, bumpy and potholed roads can have literally zero rattles?  Granted, you might not have been too sensitive to them but trust me, those cars had rattles and/or vibrations, fact.

Some cars are far worse than others, but every car has them, fact.

Its simple physics mate, simple as that.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I have read through various blogs etc about this topic and have the dashboard rattle since buying my 21 reg last December.

Took it in under warranty and the garage said it was fixed but it was'nt.

I have now positioned some foam strips around the top corners of the dash black hard plastic and it seems to have cured that particular problem.  I will gradually remove each piece to find if it only needs one piece.

FYI I did not use ordinary foam with adhesive as it was a little too thick, I wanted something less dense that would reduce to about 1mm and found the air filter for me old Vax did the trick!  Its about 5mm uncompressed and can be inserted easily between joints with a thin balded knife.  PC fan filters are very similar.

I still have a couple more to find,  one very anoying seem to close to my right ear on RHD car!  I will silicone the door seals before going further but the hard black plastic around the digital dash was the worst as others have found. what also made it worse were the 18 inch wheels and summer tyres in cold weather,  As the fronts were over half worn I changed them to Continental All Seasons which have a "V" shape tread which also improved rattles.

Hope the above is of some help to others.

I’m now on my second Kamiq and they have both been the quietist cars I’ve ever owned in terms of rattles and squeaks.  The build quality is second to none.

Every car will produce the odd rattle, squeak or vibration, no matter whether it’s a Dacia or a Rolls Royce.  Thousands of bolted on, screwed on, riveted on and moving engine parts on our crap roads will unfortunately result in the odd noise, it’s simple physics.

Unless it is horrendous (in which case I’d insist the dealer deals with it) I would not go to the trouble of the previous poster, screw that.

• Like 2

I feel I should explain a little more background,  the car, as you say, is well made and a pleasure to drive and is generally very quiet,  but near where I live is a long road that is worn but no potholes. When I drive along it I get a continuous rattle near the digital dash,  it is noticeable because the car is quiet! 

I have already taken it to the dealer who admitted is was rattling and had it for 3 hours,  they told me they had cured it but it still rattles.  I admit most cars do this to some extent  but mine was particularly annoying.

I just thought my info might be useful to others who might have this problem.

PS I have now been told by a couple of Skoda owners near me to avoid using the garage as they do not have a good reputation!

Thanks

18 hours ago, peternsomerset said:

I feel I should explain a little more background,  the car, as you say, is well made and a pleasure to drive and is generally very quiet,  but near where I live is a long road that is worn but no potholes. When I drive along it I get a continuous rattle near the digital dash,  it is noticeable because the car is quiet! 

I have already taken it to the dealer who admitted is was rattling and had it for 3 hours,  they told me they had cured it but it still rattles.  I admit most cars do this to some extent  but mine was particularly annoying.

I just thought my info might be useful to others who might have this problem.

PS I have now been told by a couple of Skoda owners near me to avoid using the garage as they do not have a good reputation!

Thanks

I have the exact same issue, I managed to find it's the plastic surround of the digital dash. As I've been driving and hearing the little rattle, I was pressing down on various parts of the dash, it wasn't until holding down that plastic surround did it stay silent. 

On closer inspection that surround is a little bit loose, it moves just a fraction as if some screws are not fully tight, but I can't see anything without stripping stuff back which I'm not keen on (or have any idea to be honest!)

So far I've been testing out putting blue back between that surround, and managed to get a silent journey this morning. So will work out a way of adding something less obvious then a piece of blue-tack. Probably end up doing what you've done Peter as the scenario sounds near identical

Edited by ryan-vrs

Whether you hear the vibrations, rattles or squeaks in your car depends, amongst other things, on your hearing. 

A year ago, I was diagnosed with moderate to severe hearing loss in my left ear and profound hearing loss in my right ear.  Hearing aids sorted the problems out but I then noticed a couple of noises in my mid-2020 Kamiq I hadn't noticed before but presumably had been there all the time.  One noise is from the seatbelt attachment point on the door pillar on my side, another from the area around the right most air vent on the dashboard, both intermittent and the latter tends to be weather-related and disappear during a journey.  I try to ignore both but if they become irritating, I just put the noise filter on on my hearing aids.; some day, I may try and sort them out.