I hope you are all being sensible about THE PETROL SHORTAGE!!

gumdrop

32 minutes ago, Routemaster1461 said:

If you look at some of the power ads on TV you woill see that they will frequently have disclaimers stating that the power comes from the grid, probably because their earlier adverts were misleading consumers thinking that they were claiming something that was patently impossible.

I suspect that the recent addition of those disclaimers indicates that more people have signed up to providers claiming to use exclusively renewable sources than those sources can possibly provide, on average.

It's clearly nonsense to imagine that if everyone just signed up to one of these 'green' suppliers, then all of the UK's leccy will suddenly become renewable.

Yet hard to imagine any of them turning down new customers on the basis "we just don't have enough renewable power to accept you"...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Routemaster1461 said:

I hope I haven't misunderstood . Whoever think they arestake charging their car, heating or lighting their homes because the get their electricity from a green provider is mistaken. The green energy company may purchase their energy from a third pary who uses solar/wind power but once it is put into the grid with all of the other sources, what comes out at the user end is just electricity. We are all just as green as everyone else. If you look at some of the power ads on TV you woill see that they will frequently have disclaimers stating that the power comes from the grid, probably because their earlier adverts were misleading consumers thinking that they were claiming something that was patently impossible.

Well yes, patently.  

https://octopus.energy/blog/100-green-what-does-it-mean/

At Octopus Energy, all of our tariffs are 100% renewable electricity – which means we will match every unit of electricity you use with a renewable certificate for the same amount.   This matching is done through Ofgem’s REGO (Renewable Energy Guarantee of Origin) scheme – the system used by suppliers across the U.K. to verify their claims of the amount of renewable energy supplied.

Alongside our REGO certificates, we contract directly with renewable producers, such as solar farms or anaerobic digestion plants, on Power Purchase Agreements, or PPAs.  Finally, we're a part of the Octopus Group – the UK’s largest investor in solar generation, with over £2 billion invested so far. That investment alone generates enough power to supply a city the size of Manchester.    As well as wind and organic waste generation, Octopus Group invests in ‘smart technology’ to help build a new way of supplying and generating energy around the UK. One that will be based on a more transparent, push-and-pull network of tomorrow, helping to provide some much needed flexibility in the energy industry.

• Like 1

http://gridwatch.co.uk

httpMany are charging Off Peak from the Grid and Octopus would even txt you to plug in during Off Peak periods so that the Grid could be balanced.

They even paid you by credit to your account to charge.  They paid you more than the low price you would have been paying per kWh. 

Renewables that can be generated is there to be used or stored, as it is the people that can generate get paid not too.

Then in the Northern & Western Island of Scotland there are surpluses of electricity from renewables that can not go to the grid because the Interconnectors are not there.

Whitelee windfarm can generate enough energy for Glasgows need daytime, and still at night time but it night not be neeeded, so now the growing Electric Busx Fleet can get charged, and Commercial Batteries can. 

Edited by e-Roottoot

3 hours ago, lol-lol said:

no carbon molecules being harmed in the process.

2 hours ago, KenONeill said:

You can prove that, not only did Zoe charge from renewables

Unless the charging point was connected to separate Grid supplied only from renewable sources there is no way to prove that the charging was 100% from renewable sources.

Paying for electricity from renewable sources just puts that electricity onto the National Grid, what you actually USE is whatever has the lowest resistance path from generator to consumer at that moment in time - which means it is very feasible that while you  pay for 100% renewable you could actually consume 100% fossil fuel generated electricity.

1 hour ago, lol-lol said:

am more concerned about the D head in the ICE behind me getting too close as he accelerates and then destroys all hist kenetic energy in his brake discs heating up as lost thermal energy.

Albert Einstein would disagree with you.

8 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Albert Einstein would disagree with you.

Maybe, but he's dead!

I think you're right that energy can't be destroyed. But who really knows - physics is in a state of disarray at the moment, so much of what was thought to be fact turns out not to be. Dark energy anyone?

Frankly I'd just settle for some diesel today 😞

Edited by Yearofthegoat
Sossidge fnigers

22 minutes ago, Yearofthegoat said:

Maybe, but he's dead!

I think you're right that energy can't be destroyed. But who really knows - physics is in a state of disarray at the moment, so much of what was thought to be fact turns out not to be. Dark energy anyone?

Frankly I'd just settle for some diesel today 😞

Bought nearly £50 of diesel in Tescos Warndon Villages Worcester, small queues and no limit on how much one bought.

We have the 4 laws of thermodynamics............

Love the fact there is a Zeroth law, like, oops, we need something before the 1st Law..........

https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Physical_and_Theoretical_Chemistry_Textbook_Maps/Supplemental_Modules_(Physical_and_Theoretical_Chemistry)/Thermodynamics/The_Four_Laws_of_Thermodynamics

• 0th Law of Thermodynamics
    The Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics states that if two systems are in thermodynamic equilibrium with a third system, the two original systems are in thermal equilibrium with each other. Basically, if system A is in thermal equilibrium with system C and system B is also in thermal equilibrium with system C, system A and system B are in thermal equilibrium with each other.
  • 1st Law of Thermodynamics
    The First Law of Thermodynamics states that energy can be converted from one form to another with the interaction of heat, work and internal energy, but it cannot be created nor destroyed, under any circumstances.
  • 2nd Law of Thermodynamics
    The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the state of entropy of the entire universe, as an isolated system, will always increase over time. The second law also states that the changes in the entropy in the universe can never be negative.
  • 3rd Law of Thermodynamics
    The 3rd law of thermodynamics will essentially allow us to quantify the absolute amplitude of entropies. It says that when we are considering a totally perfect (100% pure) crystalline structure, at absolute zero (0 Kelvin), it will have no entropy (S). Note that if the structure in question were not totally crystalline, then although it would only have an extremely small disorder (entropy) in space, we could not precisely say it had no entropy.

35 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

Bought nearly £50 of diesel in Tescos Warndon Villages Worcester, small queues and no limit on how much one bought.

Ooh get you!

I would nip up there but probs not worth it. Am going to try round here in a bit.

3 hours ago, @Lee said:

Would it help if people stood on their doorsteps on Thursdays at 8pm and clapped for petrol?

FARrr-uXMAEOT2s.thumb.jpg.58f52d7ac18f8d8a7284c1314c7fa649.jpg

What a plonker that bloke is!  Typical Audi driver??

He could be a real hero that at his own expense fuel the Food Bank Van that delivers to the terminally ill that are housebound.    Everyone assumes that others are doing something wrong while their actions are spot on as they take a car out of hibernation to fill it with fuel.      How is the tanker driver shortage going for those that transport road fuels to places other than filling station?      With HGV Fuek tanker drivers the question is similar to that with snow plough drivers. How do you get to work? 

29 minutes ago, Yearofthegoat said:

Ooh get you!

I would nip up there but probs not worth it. Am going to try round here in a bit.

Just talking to a colleague who I work with at Heathrow  and he could not find fuel for a 10 mile radius around the Chelsea training ground then phoned and found some 15 miles away but they only let him have £20 worth.

He drives a Land Rover Discovery so I dread to think how much that moved the dial.

• Haha 1

Do they deliver diesel?

There is a good opening for someone to sell 5l conforming prefilled fuel cans delivered to your door.

Mind you with Uber-Eats, Hello Fresh, Supermarket deliveries & just about everything else available on line, working from home & staycations why does anyone need to use their vehicle other than to panic buy fuel?

I have to come back over again next week, I can fill up before leaving and have enough range for both journeys and 200 miles driving around while I am there looking for fuel :D

3 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

He could be a real hero that at his own expense fuel the Food Bank Van that delivers to the terminally ill that are housebound.

Fair play George...   Plonker comment re the Audi driver retracted in that respect...   although I still think he's a plonker for having that much petrol in the back of his estate in what appear to be unsuitable container's...

• Like 1

It would be a little over 40 years ago now, being immature & thinking that a flash car was the most important thing in life I was driving a Triumph Stag while living in a housing association bedsit & spending all my disposable cash on fuel.

It was winter & snow was on the ground, I noticed a defrosted patch spreading around the vehicle & found to my horror that petrol was leaking from the tank that I had just poured my wages into :sadsmile: I very much doubt that it was a full tank but it had swallowed all the money that I had.

It was midnight, I had just returned from a night out & had no tools or repair materials with me, I was also concerned that it being a dodgy area someone might accidentally on purpose ignite the lake of fuel.

My solution was to drive the car aimlessly all night long & then to the factory when the early shift started to decant what was left & repair the tank.

• Like 1

@J.R.Bought a 2.8 Granada V6 Auto and took it to work the next day. went to ASDA at dinner time and brimmed it.

Petrol was peeing out so i took it for a blast on the dual carriageway and the big ends went about 10 miles away from work.

To save an argument with the guy i bought it from i removed the rear window from his car before going to his door.

He said he had ran it every day and just put a fivers worth in at a time.  I got my £350 back.

Told him where his car was and not worth collecting.  He asked me to put his rear screen back in. Sadly he was out of luck.

I was told a story about a near stushy at a filling station near Dundee as a scruffy guy was filling his Audi RS6 to the brim in a £30 limit filling station.

He flashed his Warrant card and told them to GTF.  

So he was lucky he never got filled in for being an undercover cop, or he has blown his cover as a cop or someone with a fake Warrant card.

I suspect he was genuine and has the 'Works' card with a £99 limit or unlimited that overides filling station / card limits.

News readers keep asking about priority workers and filling stations just they can use.

Well that system exists it is just the Governments or Local Authorities have not triggered it.

My local filling station that is for Priority use has been dug up for months and only going to be ready sometime away in the future.

Edited by e-Roottoot

On 26/09/2021 at 10:44, e-Roottoot said:

EDIT, @mac11irlthat is my shopping by the way. 

my groan was aimed squarely at the gob****es blocking in the tanker, eather than the shopping list ;)

• Haha 1

I went to inflate my rear tyres there at Tea Time thinking i would not get near.

The cones were set to take you in a circular way to the not very big pump area. 

There were 2 cars at the pump and i had to be in a queue of 1 to get reversed in and inflate my tyres.  20 bl00dy pence and the pump could not manage to get more than 37 psi into my 4x4 tyres.  

5 hours ago, skomaz said:

Fair play George...   Plonker comment re the Audi driver retracted in that respect...   although I still think he's a plonker for having that much petrol in the back of his estate in what appear to be unsuitable container's...

Diesel isn't it with a black band joining the hose and the nozzle rather than green?

Screenshot_20210928-002143.png

15 minutes ago, @Lee said:

Diesel isn't it with a black band joining the hose and the nozzle rather than green?

Screenshot_20210928-002143.png

Oooh...   Good spot there!  Following the hoses back it looks like it's boggo diesel you're right!

Somewhat less dangerous then but still pretty stupid???

Edited by skomaz
Spellin'
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lol-lol said:

Interesting comment by Brian Madderson who is chairman of the Petrol Retailers Association (do they not sell diesel ?)  who said the average sale in the filling stations was £25 to £30 before the crisis and he wished the public would return to this.  Does this mean most or many filling station visitors were only half filling their tank ie taking it from near zero or quarter to half or three quarters and was not common to fill it up ?  In cars I nearly always fill it up to the third click off, is that unusual ?

Only in my bike to I tend to only put half or two-thirds of a tank ie £10 or so, usually of Momentum 99 octane E5 as weight makes more of difference to the bike than the car.  With cars having such small fuel tanks these days ie my A4 had a 17 gallon tank and a 1,000 mile range with its ultra efficient 1.9 PD engine, I mis that sort of range figures now we only have 10/11 gallon tanks but the mpg really has not got much over 60 mpg unless I hyper mile the Fabia 1.4 TDI when I can get 80+ mpg but it is super boring.

Same with the Zoe, can zoom along at 70 mph but range will be more like 150 miles, do the Double-Nickel 55 and I get close to 250 miles range. It is nearly half a century from the oil shortages of the early 70s when the US was told to drive at 55 mph, we do not seem to managed to produce much more economical cars in that half a century though they are much safer and comfortable I suppose and that is what features has been selling cars ?

Edited by lol-lol