Columbus Map Update 2022 (MIB1/2 HIGH)

My post 31st October shows the File Manager right click into Windows Explorer the built in free method that works with the Skoda files. MartiniB links he posts up for Skoda files are identical to the ones on the Skoda board with VIN when they go live. Once unzipped all serial VAG files are the same across brand. 😉

Further investigation 

VW portal:   https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/P195_N60S5MIBH3_EU_NT.7z

Škoda portal:   https://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/HIGH12_P195_EU_202145.zip

I extracted the VW file with 7-zip v1900 and the Skoda file with the native zip extractor on Win10 21H1

For some unknown reason it took several attempts to extract the Skoda file with the extraction process crashing/freezing at various points.

Once both extracted successfully I compared all the files across the two extracted downloads for file structure and byte to byte comparison.

They were identical except for one file

Mib2\SpeechResVDE\EU_Italy\0\default\Italy.iso

both file sizes = 72,843,264

2 bytes (one 16 bit word) were different

Offset address  at 2954BF0

0EE6 (VW)

2B57 (Skoda)

I used Windows 11 in built no issues. You might have had a data error on your comparison. The old test is if it doesn't unzip don't use since its corrupted. Hence the October 22-30 conversations. If you read the thread people succeeded with three different unzip programs without error. That Skoda one is being installed fine on Seats I know that using the inbuilt unzip of Windows and MartiniB's links.... but either way VW and Seat servers run better so best to take it from their (links above).

In October there wasn't a choice so we used the Skoda one. MartiniB makes reference to the Drive2 rebate at that time as well. I never use the Skoda VIN method, I've got two Skoda VINs one for each 🤣. Given Skoda are always late to the party you look for the direct file links and MartiniB's excellent posts. 

On your comparison the SLA1 signatures would have to be different for both to work in the car else one would get rejected. It's possible that VAG made twigs on the final production, but if you said the SLA1 signature was the same then one would be corrupted. The signature isn't the one on the top level metatxt2 file but in the ones it dives in... that which protects the payload to the unit in that area from data corruption / user meddling, the bottom line in those. If they are all the same between units then the data in the files can't be different. Different data, different SLA1 signatures for the files to load up without rejection if they are valid alternative uploads to the mib2 high.

The Skoda ones on MartiniB's link least in October worked fine....but best not to use 7zip now. That was the conclusion in October 2021 and still stands. 

Edited by Tell

OK we applied the scientific method. Replicated your links and checked the SLA1 signatures they are all identical so the same file :).

On the Skoda zip file you use:

image.thumb.png.04018590f796e47ac88eb460a5ae24da.png

On the VW 7zip, 7zip:

image.thumb.png.13e85c47b1a5e600547325efcf559dca.png

& look at the metainfo2.txt in the route and in Mib1 and Mib2. Identical in each which means they are the same.

The other way of comparing is to run the 7zip CRC SHA SLA1 checksum on each of the unzipped directories within.

These all tally:

Folders: 832
Files: 1574
Size: 31256300045 bytes (29 GiB)
SHA1 checksum for data: F18EF2285597436B90FA3F7AE2EE1A545D1ECAF2
SHA1 checksum for data and names: EB8A20606DA52783848E7E1F8577AA7C461E95DF

So the two downloads between Skoda and VW are identical if unzipped correctly. Don't know where you got your results from... suspect you got a bit of dross in one of your files perhaps during download or unzipping.

MartininB gets the prize again. 🤩

Edited by Tell
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Jumping on this thread….sorry

Is there an easy way to update the hard drive maps on my Dynaudio Discover Pro DVD  Sat Nav. Maps are loaded at factory onto the hard drive and never been updated. Apparently you can’t just download the maps onto a sd card and load them up yourself 🙁

22 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

Mib1 DVD

Mib2 SD Card or USB

This is my headunit. I don’t have any sd cards in slots 1 or 2. I am told it is mib2 . The Nav works fine. Maps are held on the hard drive.

I need to access the hard drive which i think is the problem. Downloading the maps onto sd card to then update the hard drive i am told i cannot do myself.

2E022338-8F87-4611-A18F-1FDB975778FB.jpeg

Another image

8316F36F-B367-44D2-A0FE-65BC5D70F3FF.jpeg

The screen you need in the car is the one with the Part number on it. That's generally on setting, not within the navigation menu. You put the units part number into Google and look at the images. Read what is printed on the unit sticker. It's going to tell you whether mib 1 high or mib 2 high. Tap the Part number in of yours into a Google to resolve.

Then you really need a VW pdf of the time of how to do it 😉. It's going to be knocking about on the net somewhere or in the original manual. I always thought it was DIY along the lines of mib2 pro given they share the same upload file. The RNS units before mib1 high did use DVD's for the upload. Those arent updated now and there was a period when someone was manipulating those files obtained from map updates into shareware DVDs. The name was Kong associated with that one.

I came into this with mib2 high... No past history of updates on mib1 high.

Example of mib1 high with over lap maps to mib2 era:

Screenshot_20220125-141817.png

Edited by Tell
  • Love it! 1

by shown title of current maps,

i can guess for sure, it is correct device for these maps, Mib2H

0086 ECE 2014/2015
0123 ECE 2015
0134 ECE 2016
0157 ECE 2017
0161 ECE 2017
0166 ECE 2018
0169 ECE 2019
0175 ECE 2019
0177 ECE 2019/2020
0184 ECE 2020
0187 ECE 2020/2021
0189 ECE 2021
0192 ECE 2021-2022
0195 ECE 2022

• Love it! 1

1 minute ago, MartiniB said:

by shown title of current maps,

i can guess for sure, it is correct device for these maps, Mib2H

0086 ECE 2014/2015
0123 ECE 2015
0134 ECE 2016
0157 ECE 2017
0161 ECE 2017
0166 ECE 2018
0169 ECE 2019
0175 ECE 2019
0177 ECE 2019/2020
0184 ECE 2020
0187 ECE 2020/2021
0189 ECE 2021
0192 ECE 2021-2022
0195 ECE 2022

I think to be sure the original poster needs to get the part number and Google as above. You might right thou. I'd do it on the part number thou.

@Garrardrj

at which point you have problem?

On 22/10/2021 at 09:49, MartiniB said:

======= instruction =======

1. download 7z/zip archive from direct link

2. extract content to SD Card or USB

3. insert memory device into slot of Columbus

4. start of update usually is offered automatically, manually can be found under Navi-> Settings

!!! note for MAC users

On 29/07/2018 at 20:55, ZaphodB said:

Macs are a bit more problematic as they put some 'hidden' files on the card which confuses the head unit

-> https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/452002-direct-download-links-for-ece-20182019-maps/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-5095042

couple of potential questions are answered in previous posts:

Columbus Maps 2021/2022

Columbus Maps 2021

Columbus Maps 2020/2021

Columbus Maps 2020

• Love it! 1

1 hour ago, Garrardrj said:

This is the screenshot from my system

Have spoken to my local VW Main Dealer, who don’t have an answer yet for me.

6534DEA7-C492-453B-8327-2479C73374BD.jpeg

As MartiniB above is saying you Dont have a problem.

The guy here updates your maps on your model:

https://forum.vwpassat.nl/index.php?/topic/45008-discover-pro-kaartupdate-2019/&do=findComment&comment=863123

Not a problem. I'd pay attention to how you unzip it, built in Windows unzipped as I went into above in the thread if you use the Skoda download, 7 zip if you use the VW download. It's just zipped differently, same file.

If using a Mac use CleanMydrive on the SD card. Takes out the dross that Mac systems put on and you would use the VW download link and Unarchiver... whatever I normally say at this point.

Edited by Tell
  • Like 1
  • Love it! 1

So as its not totally clear i should be able to update the hard drive stored maps by downloading to an sd card and then it will work ok ?

Why have three people told me it is not possible to do?

One of them wants me to send my glovebox unit to him and he will do it and return for £120 ish.

51 minutes ago, Garrardrj said:

So as its not totally clear i should be able to update the hard drive stored maps by downloading to an sd card and then it will work ok ?

Why have three people told me it is not possible to do?

One of them wants me to send my glovebox unit to him and he will do it and return for £120 ish.

Good money if you can get it and are a retrofitter 🤣. Retrofitters scrapping around for money. If it was a Seat they would be adjusting your navigation FeCs but that's not the case for VW and Skoda Mib2 high. There are DIY solutions for that in any case.

Get yourself a 32gb class 10 SD card from Amazon Prime for £7-50 or something like that. If it's got utilities on them, delete them. It will be in Fat32 already. Don't reformat it. Stick your fingers in your ears to people that say you can use a MicroSD card with an adaptor, you are advised not too, they are cheapskates. Don't bother with a USB. Certainly don't format it to NTFS.

Unzip to the HD of your PC. Then copy that to the SD card. If Mac follow the Mac instructions, put the SD card in. 

Attached is the official VW guidance. You need to use the latest file as per MartiniB top post. I'd use the VW server link and 7zip if you are using a PC. The guidance covers Mac and you do need to use the special guidance on that if you do it that way.

Discover_Pro_November_2020_EN.pdf 

Edited by Tell
  • Love it! 1

16 hours ago, Garrardrj said:

Odd that three people who have really really good reputations say DIY is not possible though🙁

There's an awful lot of misinformation about car infotainment systems about...

• Love it! 1

Well before i looked into updating the sat nav properly and got seriously frustrated about it i had ordered an update sd card from ebay.

it arrived today, so i tried it and it appears to have updated my maps to 21/22.

Took no time at all.

This is my screenshots after

D667EB21-43E9-4C18-B82D-9B8BD2C1E388.png